The Photography Show 2016

What a great day.. Bought most studio kit for one of our photographers and made savings of nearly £800. Well chuffed. And found new e commerce software to link to our Mini labs . And lots of other studio goodies for B2B work.. Found great 360 software too..

All in all a vey good 8 hours well spent.. and many new contacts made.

Well I was looking forward to it. Arrived, it was hellish busy and any "advice" outside of the seminars etc was from a whole bunch of pretty arrogant people who assume you know absolutely nothing which was greatly disappointing.

There were a hell of a lot of great people there but I just can't get over why the arrogant ones couldn't stay at home. That was my only disappointment in the day but sadly the one point that will still with me when remembering the day.

Some great deals to be had, couldn't get a soft release button for my Fuji anywhere which was a shame but one thing I did learn was that the price of Fuji glass from the shops was extortionate compared to online so I saved my cash for that.

Had a play with the xpro2 and will be getting one for sure! The canon and Sony kit can all go now as I'm more than happy with the AF performance and quality of the Fujis new sensor and processor and the Olympus stuff I think I'll swap out for the new pen F with 17mm lens.. Saves buying an x100T :)

What did surprise me was the amount of printing companies at the exhibit. It's certainly opened my eyes up to taking a new view on my prints and I plan on filling a wall or who at home with them.

Olympus are doing free sensor cleaning this year again. Most do not need cleaning !

What did surprise me was the amount of printing companies at the exhibit. It's certainly opened my eyes up to taking a new view on my prints and I plan on filling a wall or who at home with them.

There certainly was a lot of people touting to print stuff. Many different papers, different materials, and Aluminium, perspex and glass. Many offering albums on ever thicker papers, and of course higher costs. ;-)

That was a very long day. I got there just after 8am, had to wait to get in, and the stayed till after five because the Train wasn't till just before 7pm.

I went to one seminar, by David Noton on the Adobe Stand. I've liked reading his articles over the years, and like his pics, but the two pics he showed had very little done to them, so as a demo of Lightroom and/or Photoshop (which he didn't use) it was a bit of a waste of time imho. I wanted to see a demo on the Adobe stand about Colour Management, but it clashed with some Nikon stuff I wanted to see. :rolleyes:

Worth going for me to confirm in my mind that I will be getting the Nikon D500 at some point. :D

I'm going today, just having breakfast before jumping in the car. Am splitting the day between Comic Con and the Photography Show, should just squeeze both in.

I'm off there today. Looking forward to the challenge of the odd balls who take all their gear in the biggest bag they've got, who think they can barge through the crowd .

I'm going today also. Not long got into photography so this is my 1st show. Debating whether or not to take my camera but it appears from the above post thats lots do. Looking at buying a wind angle lens for Astrophotgraphy and have been looking online at the Samyang 16mm F2 so hoping there's one there to look at.

Paul.

I'm going today also. Not long got into photography so this is my 1st show. Debating whether or not to take my camera but it appears from the above post thats lots do. Looking at buying a wind angle lens for Astrophotgraphy and have been looking online at the Samyang 16mm F2 so hoping there's one there to look at.

Paul.

Might be worth a look at the new irix 15mm 2.4 which is at the show too.

I'm taking my camera but its on a black rapid with 18_135 and my small think tank shoulder bag. I want to do lots of comparing today!

I wanted to see a demo on the Adobe stand about Colour Management, but it clashed with some Nikon stuff I wanted to see.
You probably didn't miss much. I went to the same colour management session 2 years ago. It is basically a sales pitch for Datacolor products.

Anyone wanting to take their camera.. I wouldn't to be honest. A bit of a waste of time as there's nothing to take photos of really except for the kit and people of course. It was interesting seeing some of the larpers from comic con, some very well dressed, others looking a little lost in their £12 tesco outfits..

Might be worth a look at the new irix 15mm 2.4 which is at the show too.

I'm taking my camera but its on a black rapid with 18_135 and my small think tank shoulder bag. I want to do lots of comparing today!

I had a look at this lens yesterday. Seems really well made and good value (two models at £400 and £500). Couldn't try as not available yet for E-mount, but will be later this year and I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Did pick up what I think was a great bargain. The Vanguard stand was clearing out a few tripods and had the very tall and solid 323CB with wide carbon legs and the BBH-200 ball head for £200. Very pleased with this.

Have to say I don't get the problem with people taking their kit or the frequent digs on this thread (and previous years). Perhaps they're looking for a new bag or want to compare their kit to kit on another manufacturer's stand.

I wouldn't take my camera to take photo's, there is far too much other stuff to see and do, but each to their own. I'm too busy working my way round the exhibits and presentations to be bothered by what other people are doing with their cameras.

Last edited:
It was interesting seeing some of the larpers from comic con, some very well dressed, others looking a little lost in their £12 tesco outfits..

Yeah I noticed there was quite a stark difference walking to TPS. One second a couple of teenagers in onesies, the next a trio of storm troopers who I couldn't tell apart from the actors in the film, and just about everything in between.

I took my camera with a single lens. Wanted my camera with me to try a few lenses (was hard not to buy the Zeiss Batis's yesterday with a great show deal, but moving house next week).

Having said that, there were guys walking about with huge long lenses, photography clothing head to toe, and even a few with tripods extended over their shoulders. This did make me smile :)

I took my camera with a single lens. Wanted my camera with me to try a few lenses (was hard not to buy the Zeiss Batis's yesterday with a great show deal, but moving house next week).

Having said that, there were guys walking about with huge long lenses, photography clothing head to toe, and even a few with tripods extended over their shoulders. This did make me smile :)
maybe they were dressed as photographers for the comicon???? pmsl

You probably didn't miss much. I went to the same colour management session 2 years ago. It is basically a sales pitch for Datacolor products.

I missed this yesterday, I started to watch the presentation on the Datacolour stand but walked off as it was just blatant product promotion and there was no sign of Ligthroom in the time I was there.

I'm going again on the Tuesday. Was hoping the presentation in the Adobe theatre might be at least a little bit more relevant to the Lightroom and Photoshop workflow. Having just bought a ColorMonki I'm not particularly interested in Datacolour's products.

Samyang has a stand with lots of lenses.

As I was waiting for the show to open the were lots of people arriving for the Comic Con, and some of them looked amazing. There was a walk through of a lot of them through the Photo Show and they looked great. Not sure if they will do this again today.

I only took my DSLR to directly compare it to the Nikon D500, otherwise I wouldn't have taken it, as it was very heavy during a long day.

Man i was only away a few months and they brought out a D5 and D500... Good job I only have one Nikon DLSR now, or i'd be tempted

Got back from the show about 3ish. Really enjoyed it although I think I may do the weekday next year as I thought it was busy but don't know how it compares to nomal as it was my 1st one. Brought myself a hurricane blower (big spender!), some pick 'n' pluck foam for a flight case and looked at some lenses. My dad was tempted with the magazine deal with the free bag but decided against it in the end. I would of liked a bit more time or to go back tomorrow. All in all a really good day.

Paul.

Just getting back, and it seems to be a lot smaller than the last time I went three years ago.

Canon are doubling the cash back value on all qualifying products, so a 6d is just £819 and the venerable 85 1.8 is only £159 after you reclaim from canon.

Food seemed to be less of a complete rip off than in previous years, not that I bought any of it mind.

Otherwise, it was OK i suppose. Nice to fondle the goods sometimes, but few bargains if that is what you are searching for. Think it will be a few years before I return.

BTW, sensor cleans appear to be £40. :-O. There was one Chinese chap doing them for free though.

Those comic con suits could be a sideline, would make for good photographs.

Last edited:
Have to say I don't get the problem with people taking their kit or the frequent digs on this thread (and previous years). Perhaps they're looking for a new bag or want to compare their kit to kit on another manufacturer's stand.

I wouldn't take my camera to take photo's, there is far too much other stuff to see and do, but each to their own. I'm too busy working my way round the exhibits and presentations to be bothered by what other people are doing with their cameras.

My dig was that these people barge past you or turn around with no concern to other then think their going to have a pop at you for bashing in them. This year wasn't as busy so no issue.

I went today, my first visit at a weekend, usually do a weekday.

I am very pleased with how the show is progressing under the new management. Its much easier to actually hear the words spoken at the demos and talks than it used to be. There is more space to walk around in. There seem to be more companies selling goods on site and at very fair prices. The increased choice of food and its setup and location is really good this year.

There are competition prints on display but in future I would personally like to see more artwork along these lines. The existence of the blank selfie wall made me laugh. Shame there was no wall of selfies taken to go with it.

Overall, having gone many times now over the years, I feel I can say that to me this is the best version of this show I have ever been to. I am so glad as it went through what seemed a rough patch before Future took over, where there was a lack of retail and trying to hear any demo was a lost cause, it was horribly cramped and I began to think of no longer attending at that time.

The wedding industry demo stage was visually very nicely done this year, the designer should be very proud. I also am glad that Future seems to have stayed committed to 'cleaning up' some of the stands so there are no longer hardly clad female models (where were the male models?) being druelled over by huge packs of dubious looking chaps. As a female photographer I always felt such companies had no interest in my buying power, only guys counted as valued customers. I am glad Future is making women attendees feel more valued as photographers and customers.

I would also like to thank Jonny S for all his contributions to this thread. I have found them nicely worded and very helpful.

re taking cameras to the show, I took a camera with me today, to take photos of my journey and of the NEC itself. I do not like to risk leaving kit in the car. I wanted to document my trip as i have an elderly friend who can no longer attend such events or travel very far and who likes to see new things and new places - photos and verbal descriptions are now the main way they get to experience some aspects of the world. People take kit into the venue for many reasons.

Thanks to all the trade stands, the speakers, all the people behind the scenes for all the many days and weeks of hard work they put into this event. I hope to manage a 2nd visit to the show this year. I also am keen to visit next year as the improvements to the event are making it well worth the long trip.

Last edited:
Great write up Jay and thank you for taking the time. I went last year for the first time and enjoyed it but it looks as if it's going to be so much better this year - including the food so I'll buy from there.

+1 to Jonny S - your posts have been very helpful with a specific question I asked being answered very quickly and I've enjoyed many other answers too.

I went today. Really enjoyed it. Glad I took my gx7, Panasonic stand was great and being able to try the lenses I was considering for it was great. Timeline events had a good stand with re enactors to photograph. Really enjoyed the talk on the Manfrotto stand with the tablet and reptile.

Comicon on way out was great for some photos, would have been gutted if had not taken camera.

Would certainly go again next year.

Popped along today and enjoyed having a mooch around. Somehow didn't buy any new gear but only because there was no stock of the item I was after. Plenty of good deals to be had but I wasn't really there for that. Enjoyed a few talks and wanted to look at a few presentational bits, there was certainly plenty of vendors to choose.

As for the camera debate, I'm not in the camp of taking one along. It's not a day for taking pictures for me but understand if someone wanted to try a certain lens etc. it does make me smile when some people like to just flaunt their gear, but each to their own, no different than anything else in life.

Had a long but good day today, I didn't actually spend money on myself, my daughter came away with a new lens and a vanguard bag, well worth checking them out, good prices on the bags. Layout of the show was good as usual, though canon need more space :D

Looked at the iris 15mm lens, very nice indeed, well built and iq seems really good, will be interesting to see who they sell through.
Panasonic 100-400, very impressed with that.
oly 300mm f4, + tc = me gobsmacked! What an impressive piece of kit!
fuji xpro 2, love it.

Also got to meet Kai from digital rev, albeit a brief chat,

@MidnightUK
I didn't see you at the show. Sorry to have missed you

Kind of you to say this. Left home later than planned and had to come back earlier than hoped too. Actually, had hoped to go yesterday but life got in the way. Based nearish Bristol so its a bit of a trip and now have broken a tooth, so depends on how that plays out overnight too.

I checked out your website, I see now why you say your assistant is on his way to famous :) I like the University portrait you did of him. He looks a little like the chap off Blakes 7 (a complement). Hope to catch you next year or maybe some event in between.

Last edited:
Anyone visit the nest stand? After getting their systematic tripod last year and seeing quality of one of their bags I'd be interested on people's views who went as to their current offerings im sure they will become popular

I normally don't quibble but £2.60 for a cup of tea seemed... excessive.
They have you by the goolies and can, and do, charge whatever they think they can get away with.

I did go in the Bowens pro lounge for my free coffee, and found out that it was only 'free' between certain times.

I thought that the trailer style outlets is much preferable to that huge restaurant that they used previous in a different hall. I ate..... 'something' in there three or four years ago when it was still Focus, and swore never again. Absolutely terrible and I don't think I finished it even though I was hungry If it wasn't absolutely jam packed I think I would have sent it back and complained. So, small mercy's I suppose.

Did anyone find a way around coughing up £12 for car parking? How far is it from B'ham Int. station car park to the NEC?
It's not far, but it will probably be packed with working commuters from early o'clock which it isn't on a Sunday.

Back