THE PP GAME!

I thought I would get in early this time to avoid the disappointment of last edit :)

Minor Adjustments in Raw
Straightened & Cropped
Adjusted individual Colour saturation
Palette knife layer on the background
Sharpened
Rotated 180
Vignette

basic sliders in raw, increasing sat etc
sharpened
cropped
blurred background slightly
used fisheye filter
cropped again
added some blur to reduce noise in the sky only
finished
garden_in_glass_v2.jpg

68844_10152347505635305_967764155_n.jpg

Opened in CR and balanced the lighting with sliders. Added contrast and clarity & adjusted vibrancy of the class to suit.

Opened in PS, cloned out some "imperfections" that drew the eye away too much, made the glass a mask and desaturated the background. Applied a strong lens blur and also adaptive wide angle filter.

Cropped to centre the glass, added a vignette and sharpened.

here's my edit:

IMG_9748 by btyreman, on Flickr

Cropped and straightened,
Decreased Highlights,
Increased Shadows,
Increased Vibrance,
tonecurve; slight increase in highlights,
sharpened,
used lens correction,
exported to jpeg.

and the winner is.....

BRIAN

I like your creative crop and what you've done with it, over to you (y)

Last edited:
Well done Brian a well deserved win :clap:

IMO Saturday morning sounds fine as usually there is a about 4 days for us to 'have a go'. A time would be good as I know, in my case, I don't always feel well enough and it is good to have the chance of a last minute edit.

Just to be clear - as I have just realised how unclear I have been, it's the shock of winning! - I will call it at 8pm Saturday EVENING.

tricky one this
straighten, basic tabs and sharpen with the raw
increased contrast in the iron bridge to bring out the detail
gave it a retro/toy camera look in topaz
added vignette , sharpened train, and reduced noise a bit
Train.jpg

Last edited:
This was very hard to make something of.....

Straightened it.....
Gave it a massive kick of a contrast boost....
Followed by quite a lot of a sharpen.....
Then tried a selective colour on the train and the bridge...
But didn't like it. :LOL:
Scratched my head for what to do next for a bit...
Cropped it to 6x4 size....
Then hit it with a (ahem) light 1960's effect in Picasa....
Followed by a bit more sharpening.

Train_2_dev_.jpg

Last edited:
Train-Edit.jpg

All in LR3. Wanted to keep 'industrial' look and to emphasize relationship between train and buildings in background. I therefore cropped the image to try to achieve this. Also image needed more punch so increased exposure and blacks as well as selected strong contrast from tone curve menu. Also increased clarity. Image also needed correction of pin cushion distortion due to use of telephoto lens so did this manually in lens correction menu using distortion slider. Decreased vibrance to by 40 to keep colours fairly muted and industrial looking. Applied some noise reduction and sharpened. Exported to PSE 10 to resize and save for web as jpeg.

Last edited:
Here's my edit:

Framed_small by Brian of Bozeat, on Flickr

and my workflow.
ACR -
Auto tone, always a good place to start!
Darkened blacks & boosted clarity.

PSE11 -
"Quick mode" Smart fix - Auto
"Expert mode" A mixture of Clone brush and Spot brush to remove the distracting factory sign and the grafitti from the bridges.
Applied the reduce noise filter
Applied the saturated slide film effect - twice.
Straightened & cropped.
Sharpened with Perfect effects 4 (free)
Added tilt shift effect by creating a duplicate layer with gausian blur applied and then created a layer mask and edited to suit.
Added the border using PhotoFrame 4 (free)

And the winner is....

Graham.

I thought your 1960's style/feel and how you cropped out some of the foreground really worked.

Thanks to all three of you for entering, over to you Graham.

Blimey, Thanks Brian. Yep, loosing the foreground really made a big difference, like your idea of loosing the factory sign. (y)

Only had my D5100 a few weeks, so would love to see what the skilled hands here can pull from this one.

DSC_01881.JPG

RAW file here

Full size JPG here

Last edited:
Well done Graham especially as it was a hard task that Brian set with that shot :puke:

But Brian your edit is worth a mention as it is excellent :clap:

TPWinterBench.jpg

Here's my shot.

When I first saw it I thought I must pull the reds out in the sky, assume a 'nearing dusk' timing and just get something approaching a sunset shot - err -- without the sun. But there is some bright light in the sky behind which may be the sun :clap:

A lot of chopping & changing between saturation & lighting with an orange filter to further enhance the sunset look. Then high pass filter with soft setting.

Intentional NOT to pull shadows out as it would spoil the overall feel.

Will look at an alternative :thinking:

seat1_small by Brian of Bozeat, on Flickr

3 RAW file conversions at -2 0 and +1 then HDR in PS to monochrome to get all the detail available.

Levels adjustment layer, so as to see it!

and a Crop to 8x10 format for composition.

PS I ordered a d5100 today - can't wait!

Great start John - but it was actually taken about 7 or 8 hours BEFORE dusk. On a freezing cold, misty morning. And yes - the orange is coming from the sun! :LOL:

Can't help but feel you've done the hard work in showing what's there, thereby making it easy for anyone else.

I'll give any others until Wednesday lunchtime 12 o'clock (or maybe a tiny bit after).

Edit -

nice one Brian on the D5100 (y). Nice step up from the HS10, what you can pull from the RAW files is amazing. Will you be allowed it early? Or is Santa bringing it?

Last edited:
Well done graham.....

Really like your edit daydreamer...

its been a while since i had a go at this but here's my attempt.

DSC_0188_zps83584a1f.jpg

Added some detail (local)
Removed the small metal label on the bench and the bit of plastic? by the base
Sharpened (local)
Moved the light around a bit (local)
Contrast (local)
Reduced greens and yellows forground
Increased yellows sky
Added a little blue to the frost to make it feel more chilly
Cropped
Vignette
Output sharpen
Finish

Any questiona on that.....I would be glad to answer :)

Last edited:
basic tabs in raw
sharpened
reduced temp
used topaz filter to bring out some detail in the clouds
added slight vignette
added blur to reduce noise in the sky only
finished
bench.jpg

Well done guys - 4 great edits up already, 24 hours to go.

To be honest - I could pick any of these so far for my winner, they each have plenty that I love.

See you back here tomorrow... (y)

basic tabs in raw
sharpened
reduced temp
used topaz filter to bring out some detail in the clouds
added slight vignette
added blur to reduce noise in the sky only
finished
bench.jpg

Nice job on those clouds. I'm going have to have a look at that topaz, I like the look of your stuff on here and you seem to use it quite a lot I've noticed.

Last edited:
Nice job on those clouds. I'm going have to have a look at that topaz, I like the look of your stuff on here and you seem to use it quite a lot I've noticed.

thanks, i do like the topaz filters, they can really help get some extra detail out of a photo, they have a 30 day trial if you fancy having a go with them

horror_winter_edit by btyreman, on Flickr

this time opened in LR4;

created a black a white version in Silver fx pro with a slight green tint, this is also how I got the film grain.

then adjusted as follows:
decreased highlights,
increased shadows,
sharpened slightly,

added several graduated filters and brushes mostly to add clarity and also some colour in just certain parts (top left corner) and exported to jpeg.

I've also been watching some Tim Burton Films recently so I blame him for this edit

Last edited:
Righty-ho, first of all, top work everyone. As I said before any of them could have taken the win.

So in posted order - my thoughts.

DayDreamer... Unbelievable how much colour you've managed to bring to the sky, if only it had been like that on the day. Also I wonder if you've pushed things a bit further than the file would let you. The frost on the seat has gone a bit blue and green and purple (sure someone knows the correct term here).

Brian... Really caught the feel of the cold morning - the frost on the seat is still there and there is even detail in the trees and midground over the edge of the hill which no-one else has found (as well as you) (y). I understand the reason for the crop, but I'd still like to see more to the left.

The Drift... Great job Shaun, takes the prize for detail and feel of the bench, got the cold frosty feel spot on. A very bold crop though.

Flying giraffe... Top editing Neil, detail on the bench, cold feel, colour in the sky, boxes all ticked for me. All pulled from the single file it seems too - no HDR?? Great work.

SymmetricalOCD - Ben, I see where you were going - think a layer of snow would have been needed to carry this off - brought an eerie night time feel to it.

I'm just trying to put off the inevitable - decision time... hmm.

Simply for making the best translation into the scene that I wanted to get from this shot,
the winner is Neil (Flying Giraffe).
Quite similar in fact to my edit below...

I made 5 exposures using View NX2, (-2 to +2 EV).
Adding sharpness, bit of contrast, and colour boost to each.
Merged them in Dynamic Photo HDR with as natural look as possible. (Exposure blend rather than HDR was my aim).
Then actually thought that the sky was too orange in my edit, so overlaid it over the jpg with opacity down to 75% (in GIMP) to reduce the effect of the edit.

Shaun - a lesser crop may have been all it would have taken for me to pass the baton to yourself on this one. (sorry). (y)

Back