THE PP GAME!

symmetricalOCD said:
I need to stop winning this! :puke:
Stop being so good then :naughty:

Well I know I've got a busy week ahead so I've had a really quick go in snapseed:

9E2F1F75-3FEA-4792-B6FF-B3192948CA13-249-0000003397183526.jpg

Used the tilt/ shift on the main street to highlight it and blur the blue scaffolding in the background. Added a splash of vintage as well and cropped it.

Last edited:

Stockport Rooftops by Livewires71, on Flickr

Wb tweaked in RAW
Cloned out the Aerial
Cropped
Saturation & Hue on two cuts of the scaffold covering to reduce their impact
and touch up the red & contrast on the building to bring out the sign writing
Flattened & touched up the shadows & highlights
De Noised
Added vignette

Last edited:
Reading this thread over the weekend, thought I'd join in so here's my first post. Hello everyone :wave:

Stockport Rooftops by Brian_of_Bozeat, on Flickr

Import into Lightroom 3 with basic settings: Adjusted the exposure: Convert to B&W : Added a graduated filter : tweaked the fill light/black clipping & Carity then adjusted the colour filter levels in the B&W pallete.

Last edited:
Welcome to the game Brian, the more the merrier but don't forget to tell us what you have done to it

Yes welcome Brian :wave:

But if you are any good I have friends in high places and can get you banned :p

basic sliders in raw
saved 3 copies. -1.9, -9, and +9
opened in photomatix, and hdr`d
loaded in ps and burnt through with 30% brush on the middle file on the sky only
finished
stockport_roofs.jpg

stockport_roofsMyEdit.jpg

Global tweak of saturation plus Lots of brushing to get individual colours adjusted. Especially the small amount of greenery.
Dodge sky with white to increase the whites. Dodge white building bottom left to bring out more detail.
Slight orange filer to warm up
Selective sharpening mainly on brickwork
Slight global sharpening
That's about it my usual twiddle, fiddle & whatever else takes my fancy but keen to preserve all elements and not clone any out or even change the crop.

Done so nearly cocoa time with the 'Hob Nobs' that haven't been mentioned for ages :crying:

stockport_roofsMyEditBWfinal.jpg

Just added a B & W version but how I arrived at final version :nuts:
Lots of fiddling as I have never really tried B & W and not really sure if I like it :thinking:
Added vignette
But I quite like the crop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Stockport-Roofs-Final.jpg

Raw conversion in LR3

Decreased exposure, increased clarity, highlight recovery +++ to remove all highlights and 'flatten' image. Decreased contrast by lowering darks and lights with tone curve. Cropped image to improve composition.

Edited in PSE 10

Copied background layer. Created Hue/Saturation adjustment layer between background layer and copy. Colorize box ticked. Hue adjusted to 48 (yellowish) to provide light effect.

New hue/saturation layer added after copy of background. Colorize box ticked. Hue set to 210 (bluish for night) saturation 15 and brightness -75 to darken. This gave layer for night. Clipped to background copy layer. Layer mask added to backround copy layer and black brush tool used to uncover yellow light. Did this to some windows and around street lights.

New layer created and light yellow brushed on around light sources, brush then changed to white and enough clicks on light sources to look overexposed like a bulb.

Levels adjusted to darken image and layer mask with gradient added to selectively darken the sky.

I think that was about it. This was a new technique I tried after reading magazine tutorial

I don't envy you this week Ben, I wouldn't know which 1 to pick out of these excellent edits :thinking:

livewires71 said:
I don't envy you this week Ben, I wouldn't know which 1 to pick out of these excellent edits :thinking:

Mine????

It's great to see so many different ways to edit this image. I wouldn't know who to choose! :shrug:

stockport_roofs_final_edit by btyreman, on Flickr

here's how I did my edit:

WB: 5800

Exposure -0.98
Contrast -20

Highlights -100
Shadows +100
Whites +15
Blacks -26

Clarity +61
Vibrance -13

Tone curve:

Highlights +71
Lights -14
Shadows -35
Point Curve : Linear

HSL: Saturation:

Red +35
Orange -7
Green +98
Aqua +100
Blue +25

Split Toning:

Highlights Hue 178, Saturation +25
Shadows Hue 0, Saturation +15

Detail:

Sharpening Amount +12, Radius 1.0, Detail +25

Lens Correction Enabled
Defringe +2 Amount, Purple Hue 53/100

Effects:

Post-Crop Vignette -6

Grain +16

then exported to jpeg, this is an insanely detailed description.

...it was very close between Daydreamer's B&W edit & Flying Giraffe, there can only be one winner though.

Over to you Flying Giraffe! great edit, really like the gritty feel, some excellent entries this time. (y)

off to the pub to eat some hobnobs and drink robin-sons beer... a good combination

Last edited:
:wave: A really good edit Neil and I would of picked it if I was the judge :clap:

It is fascinating to see the great diversity of the way we all edit the pics. That's why I mus try and get away from the boring way of just 'fiddling' to make it better. There is a lot more ways but it takes courage to whack the sliders off the end of the scale sometimes. :LOL:

:wave: Ben thanks for your huge amount of details of how you edited but I don't think my software would cope with me being able to do the same. PE10 - no LR :crying:

Last edited:
Well done Neil :clap:

Where in Cyprus was this tree? I lived there for three years but didn't take much interest in the flora and fauna and I wasn't interested in photography at the time :bonk:

near Ayia Napa near one of the many churches, shame you wasn't in to photography then as there was just so much to photograph, i have loads all ready if i ever win again

Well done Neil :clap:

Where in Cyprus was this tree? I lived there for three years but didn't take much interest in the flora and fauna and I wasn't interested in photography at the time :bonk:

near Ayia Napa near one of the many churches, shame you wasn't in to photography then as there was just so much to photograph, i have loads all ready if i ever win again

cheers daydreamer(y)

Adjustments made to:

brightness/contrast
exposure
vibrance
hue/saturation
selective colour
shadow/highlights

yaTn7-VYz7l9pCuQbZ5Cl8mpElO7QQxnQzXxEQIkx3w

Last edited:

greek tree by btyreman, on Flickr

opened in LR4 as a RAW:

made WB warmer,
increased contrast,
increase in shadows,
decrease blacks
increased the clarity,
increase highlights a bit in tone-curve,
then cloned out a couple of lamps in the background,
converted to B&W mode and adjusted individual colours to suit,
used lens correction and removed some distortion,
not too much sharpening and then some grain added which made it look sharper than actual sharpening...
last but not least a subtle white vignette & printed to jpeg with the black frame in lightroom's print mode.

Last edited:

TP PP entry-100.jpg by Brian of Bozeat, on Flickr

ACR: Gave it the selective colour treatment
Photoshop: Cloned out annoying lamposts, leaning tree & Metal frame holding tree up.
Lightroom: Tweaked contrast and saturation. Managed to remove most of the distortion & CA. Tighter crop on tree.

Tree_121024_1.jpg

The first thing that struck me when i saw this image was the shape of the tree especially the trunk. I decided to emphasize this with a B&W conversion and a square crop. I wanted to increase contrast between subject and background tree/bushes while maintaining detail in sky

Opened in LR3.

Cropped and converted to B&W
Increased exposure and a bit of fill light. Increased blacks until little detail left in background foliage on left. Brightness increased and tone curve adjusted to increase contrast. Blues darkened to bring out sky detail. Adjustment brush used for dodging and burning until desired effect produced
Thats about it.

thanks for all the entries, all great as usual, but the take im going for is Spillage, well done simon, you've given it a real spooky feel:clap:, over to you sir

my 2 edits are
IMG_8941-1.jpg

black and white
IMG_8941bandw.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry no pic yet. I'll try when I get back from five a side tonight. Been too busy today. One boy needs ent appointment after bashing his nose at school and another been ill for 6 months having hospital treatment and off it today. Photography and this site are a good distraction but dont always have the time

Back