The silly state of dual memory card.

When you are shooting dual cards, you are limited to the slower card so a fast CF card becomes almost redundant. I can imagine that if the next Canon just do dual SD cards and how it can be seen money wasted on all the CF cards that I have but the reality is that SD cards are much cheaper, not to mention I don't use the older cards that i bought years ago because they are like 30mb/s, 45mb/s.

Replacing all the CF cards with UHS-II cards isn't really that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.
What if you were to write RAW files to the CF card and JPEG to the SD? Wouldn't that resolve the speed issue as there'd be less to write in the first place?

What if you were to write RAW files to the CF card and JPEG to the SD? Wouldn't that resolve the speed issue as there'd be less to write in the first place?

Did you not read my OP?

No, that’s actually slower. I said I’ve tested it in the OP.

And why would you do that? A back up should be an identical file of the one lost, not a lesser version.

So why do you want to shoot yourself in the foot twice?

Last edited:
When you are shooting dual cards, you are limited to the slower card so a fast CF card becomes almost redundant. I can imagine that if the next Canon just do dual SD cards and how it can be seen money wasted on all the CF cards that I have but the reality is that SD cards are much cheaper, not to mention I don't use the older cards that i bought years ago because they are like 30mb/s, 45mb/s.

Replacing all the CF cards with UHS-II cards isn't really that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.
I have the same issue in the D810. The SD card shooting backup reduces the max write speed so there is no benefit of the extra speed of the CF card. Nikon seem to have solved most of this speed issue in D850 and D500. There was a year between the 5d4 and the D850 so perhaps that gave Nikon a little longer to make the decision to make the jump to faster cards having also learnt from the D500 too. I’m sure canon won’t be left behind for long.

Last edited:
Did you not read my OP?

No, that’s actually slower. I said I’ve tested it in the OP.

And why would you do that? A back up should be an identical file of the one lost, not a lesser version.

So why do you want to shoot yourself in the foot twice?

1. I didn't, no.
2. I'd want to do that because it's not a backup for me, it's a file with Fuji simulation applied that I can transfer through Wi-Fi and send to others or post on social media. Maybe others do, too.
3. I don't shoot myself at all, I use Fuji which as you've pointed out has dual UHS-II slots.

In summary, I tried to help without wasting too much of my time and have apparently done so in the time it took for me to write this response.

I'll leave you and your soap box to it.

Cheers

Ian

1. I didn't, no.
2. I'd want to do that because it's not a backup for me, it's a file with Fuji simulation applied that I can transfer through Wi-Fi and send to others or post on social media. Maybe others do, too.
3. I don't shoot myself at all, I use Fuji which as you've pointed out has dual UHS-II slots.

In summary, I tried to help without wasting too much of my time and have apparently done so in the time it took for me to write this response.

Cheers

Ian

Not sure what you are trying to say...because I also said Fuji can do it with the XH1 and that’s a smaller body so it’s clearly not a heat issue.

You would be shooting yourselve in the foot twice by doing what you are suggesting because the camera needs to convert one file to jpeg which slows it down, and jpeg is not true back up. You can convince yourself it’s a good enough solution but at the end of the day Raw is raw and jpeg is jpeg. If jpeg is good enough in the first place then why are you shooting raw?

It’s a bit like if you crashed your BMW M3 and the insurance company replace it with a 318i, sure it looks the same....it’s not really.

Last edited:
I have the same issue in the D810. The SD card shooting backup reduces the max write speed so there is no benefit of the extra speed of the CF card. Nikon seem to have solved most of this speed issue in D850 and D500. There was a year between the 5d4 and the D850 so perhaps that gave Nikon a little longer to make the decision to make the jump to faster cards having also learnt from the D500 too. I’m sure canon won’t be left behind for long.

But how do you explain the A7iii that just came out though. Or Sony with the A7R3 that came out the same time as the D850. Similar file size as well.

Not sure what you are trying to say...because I also said Fuji can do it with the XH1 and that’s a smaller body so it’s clearly not a heat issue.

You would be shooting yourselve in the foot twice by doing what you are suggesting because the camera needs to convert one file to jpeg which slows it down, and jpeg is not true back up. You can convince yourself it’s a good enough solution but at the end of the day Raw is raw and jpeg is jpeg. If jpeg is good enough in the first place then why are you shooting raw?

It’s a bit like if you crashed your BMW M3 and the insurance company replace it with a 318i, sure it looks the same....it’s not really.
I'm trying to say that you're coming across as argumentative when there's no need.

I see your point about the camera having to convert RAW to JPEG, but for me it still works as my use is not for having a backup. It's having a smaller, more usable file for instant sharing versus having to wait to transfer to LR.

As I said, the floor is yours (though I do agree with you that it makes little sense to have two different card types. Either stick with 2x CF or 2x SD).

I'm trying to say that you're coming across as argumentative when there's no need.

I see your point about the camera having to convert RAW to JPEG, but for me it still works as my use is not for having a backup. It's having a smaller, more usable file for instant sharing versus having to wait to transfer to LR.

As I said, the floor is yours (though I do agree with you that it makes little sense to have two different card types. Either stick with 2x CF or 2x SD).

Well, clearly your use isn’t the same as mine. The whole point of having back up, if you are in any form of paid job, you ought to....then it needs to be dual raw.

I’m not trying to be argumentative but when you try to argue having jpeg is a viable option...when it has been stated in the OP and also mentioned by someone else who tested it with his D850 too which made little difference you can see why I sounded a little irritated.

Well, clearly your use isn’t the same as mine. The whole point of having back up, if you are in any form of paid job, you ought to....then it needs to be dual raw.

My use clearly isn't, no. I get where you're coming from, really I do, but when professional photographers out there make money from shoots regularly cope with the same equipment you're moaning about (or worse in years gone by), maybe stop and consider whether you're doing something different to them which means that you can't manage with these top of the line camera bodies when they can?

If what you want is not available and what is simply doesnt work, what is every other paid photographer out there doing? Something to ponder.

Anyway, I'm out.

Mmm, more like, I wanted to contribute without reading some/all of the thread. When that was pointed out you took umbrage when questioned whether you had read at least the original post, instead of saying 'sorry I hadn't read that/the whole thread' you went on the offensive.

We've all done it, especially in longer threads, :( and no doubt will again in the future, :rolleyes: but if it is pointed out that what you/I say has already been mentioned, possibly multiple times, just take it on the chin. Just my Pov, Yvmv.

Not wishing to take sides but if I were a pro and wanted live backup I would want same size and same format i.e full size raw being written to both cards at the same speed not a half baked ill thought out cf/SD solution that's been implemented on the 5D3 and 4. There is an excuse for the 3 but not the 4 and why should it be necessary to have to buy a brick like a 1D when the size of the 5 may suit a user better?

Mmm, more like, I wanted to contribute without reading some/all of the thread. When that was pointed out you took umbrage when questioned whether you had read at least the original post, instead of saying 'sorry I hadn't read that/the whole thread' you went on the offensive.

We've all done it, especially in longer threads, :( and no doubt will again in the future, :rolleyes: but if it is pointed out that what you/I say has already been mentioned, possibly multiple times, just take it on the chin. Just my Pov, Yvmv.

As you say, we've all done it. I've no issue being shown that I'd made such a faux pas, it was more so the manner in which it was done. Anyhoo, consider it taken on the chin and will likely happen again regardless.

Not wishing to take sides but if I were a pro and wanted live backup I would want same size and same format i.e full size raw being written to both cards at the same speed not a half baked ill thought out cf/SD solution that's been implemented on the 5D3 and 4. There is an excuse for the 3 but not the 4 and why should it be necessary to have to buy a brick like a 1D when the size of the 5 may suit a user better?

I've already agreed with the OP's point in that of course you'd prefer two of the same card slot. If the manufacturers don't make 'em though, no one has them. Work with what you have or change to a system that does (which will invariably have draw backs you can't cope with either). It's like the search for perfect camera bag. There isn't one.

work with what you have or change to a system that does (which will invariably have draw backs you can't cope with either). It's like the search for perfect camera bag. There isn't one.
Or see if the manufacturer might listen and come up with what you want if enough people agree?

But how do you explain the A7iii that just came out though. Or Sony with the A7R3 that came out the same time as the D850. Similar file size as well.
I can’t as I’m not a camera designer. I’m sure they was a reason why they have. Next weekend there will be plenty of canon representatives at the Photography Show, perhaps someone could ask the reason why there, they are probably more likely to know why than anyone guessing the reason on here (unless there are some camera designers on this forum that have inside knowledge).

There are potentially so many reasons why (available space, size, power, cost, design and manufacturing ease, model differentiation, users need, new tech take up- all of which have been mentioned in the thread). rightly or wrongly, perhaps they feel that most photographers would be willing to sacrifice a little write speed for the benefit writing to two different cards. Maybe they see faster card slots are only necessary for 4K video, and those users will only write to one card. Maybe they have done some market and majority of users still only write to one card rather than two (that could be an interesting poll on here).

I am with you that I would love two similar type fast cards in the camera to write as backup, but as my camera doesn’t have it I’m happy to take the speed hit to use backup, or take the risk if speed is really the most important factor at that time. Nikon are happy to provide fast memory card slots as long as I’m happy stumping up £2k more than I’ve spent on the D810, same as canon currently feel with the 5d4 and 1dx2.

Or see if the manufacturer might listen and come up with what you want if enough people agree?
I love TP, the the number if people who use it, but I'm not entirely sure this is likely sadly.

For Canon at al it's probably a minor consideration. Bear in mind also the vast numbers of landscape shooter's etc who likely use this camera but don't really give a toss about write speeds etc.

If you need better then you have to buy better or suck it up and make concessions. It's like asking why Porsche didn't make the Cayman as fast as the 911. Same with Canon I'd imagine when you want a 5Dmkiv to perform like a 1dX. From Canon's perspective, why would they do that?

My use clearly isn't, no. I get where you're coming from, really I do, but when professional photographers out there make money from shoots regularly cope with the same equipment you're moaning about (or worse in years gone by), maybe stop and consider whether you're doing something different to them which means that you can't manage with these top of the line camera bodies when they can?

If what you want is not available and what is simply doesnt work, what is every other paid photographer out there doing? Something to ponder.

Anyway, I'm out.

I make money from it too and I bet if I google I am not the first person who brings up this point.

I’m not doing anything different to other wedding photographers but I’m doing something different to you. Do you know how I get round this problem?

This is what I do...

You get another’s 5D4...put a 24 mm in one and 35mm in the other.

Now carry both so now walk backwards with both on you. You start the shot or the walk backwards with the longer 35mm, when the buffer fills you quickly swap it over, all the while walking backwards...you swap it over to the 24mm because the couple would’ve have caught up with you and close the distance, if that fills up you swap it again.

Now won’t it be nice if I didn’t have to swap bodies while walking backwards with people surrounding me, legs sticking out, arms waving??? Clearly you can see the hazard and the potential of falling with at least one camera hitting the floor.

That’s how I get around it. There is another option of course, you go...”STOP! My buffer is full...hold for 15s please.

Or I can forget shooting for about at least half of that duration.

Or Canon can fix this like Nikon and Fuji has done.

Fuji X-H1 supports dual UHS-II slots.

So there goes the question whether heat is a problem, its the practically same mp count as the Sony A7iii, both have 5 axis IBIS. Both coming out in the same time.

I believe the Fuji X-H1 will most likely generate less heat than the Sony full-frame bodies hence why it has 2x UHS-II slots, they both probably have smaller heat sinks.
You have to remember that Fuji X-H1 is a bigger body than the Sony A7 III and has a smaller APS-C sensor, thus generating less heat.

I love TP, the the number if people who use it, but I'm not entirely sure this is likely sadly.

For Canon at al it's probably a minor consideration. Bear in mind also the vast numbers of landscape shooter's etc who likely use this camera but don't really give a toss about write speeds etc.

If you need better then you have to buy better or suck it up and make concessions. It's like asking why Porsche didn't make the Cayman as fast as the 911. Same with Canon I'd imagine when you want a 5Dmkiv to perform like a 1dX. From Canon's perspective, why would they do that?

But like I said in the original post...what is better thank the A9? One of those slots is also slower. It however has a large buffer so it takes longer to hit the limit but it doesn’t remove the fact that one card slot is gimped. The A7R3 and A7III is the same. What’s better than the A9, A7R3 and A7III?

As for the 1D solution, like I mention in this thread, that’s as insane option as selling up to switch to Nikon. The UHS-II is an industry standard part, nothing that outrageous so it really should be the minimum that they use.

I make money from it too and I bet if I google I am not the first person who brings up this point.

I’m not doing anything different to other wedding photographers but I’m doing something different to you. Do you know how I get round this problem?

This is what I do...

Now carry both so now walk backwards with both on you. You start the shot or the walk backwards with the longer 35mm, when the buffer fills you quickly swap it over, all the while walking backwards...you swap it over to the 24mm because the couple would’ve have caught up with you and close the distance, if that fills up you swap it again.

Now won’t it be nice if I didn’t have to swap bodies while walking backwards with people surrounding me, legs sticking out, arms waving??? Clearly you can see the hazard and the potential of falling with at least one camera hitting the floor.

That’s how I get around it. There is another option of course, you go...”STOP! My buffer is full...hold for 15s please.

Or I can forget shooting for about at least half of that duration.

Or Canon can fix this like Nikon and Fuji has done.
I can see your point that Nikon and Fuji have potentially solved this issue, it’s likely canon will catch up with the next release if they see a market need. Until they do, all there is you can do is carry on as you are, swap to the 1DX2 or totally swap systems. It sounds like a business decision to me, if your equipment isn’t doing the job you need to assess need/benefit/risk/cost of staying as you are or stump up the money to get equipment that does what you need it to. As a business, equipment is just a tool to get a job done, if it doesn’t do that job well enough get something that does.

But like I said in the original post...what is better thank the A9? One of those slots is also slower. It however has a large buffer so it takes longer to hit the limit but it doesn’t remove the fact that one card slot is gimped. The A7R3 and A7III is the same. What’s better than the A9, A7R3 and A7III?

As for the 1D solution, like I mention in this thread, that’s as insane option as selling up to switch to Nikon. The UHS-II is an industry standard part, nothing that outrageous so it really should be the minimum that they use.
It should be, but the more they put into the mid range pro bodies the harder they need to justify the prices of the top of the line gear.

From what I understand, Canon don't even give you an in body viewfinder curtain for preventing light leak on long exposures. Even Nikon appear to do that these days.

Last edited:
I can see your point that Nikon and Fuji have potentially solved this issue, it’s likely canon will catch up with the next release if they see a market need. Until they do, all there is you can do is carry on as you are, swap to the 1DX2 or totally swap systems. It sounds like a business decision to me, if your equipment isn’t doing the job you need to assess need/benefit/risk/cost of staying as you are or stump up the money to get equipment that does what you need it to. As a business, equipment is just a tool to get a job done, if it doesn’t do that job well enough get something that does.

The camera does 99% of what I need it to do, I’m just pointing out something that is so obviously silly which shouldn’t be in the first place.

On the 5D4 the write speed isn't that great when shooting full size raw to both cards and that's with a160mb/s CF and a 90mb/s SD.

Buffer gives around 17 frames before it slows down but it takes a while to clear the buffer back to max again. I can see how this would be a pain if you need that back up.

On my 1DX2 I gave up after a 100.
So that means a slow processed then. The problem is that if Canon, Nikon Sony or whatever made everything perfect there would be no need for people to buy the next "better" model that came out.
At the end of the day the main thing with all these manufacturers are trying to do is make money, just the same as those of us who are pro weather wedding, sport, wildlife or landscape.

The Nikon D5, Canon 1D X Mark II and Sony A9 are some of the fastest if not the fastest bodies on the market. Most professionals use them for high speed action including high fps functions.
I’m sure the next generation models will push the boundary further.
I don’t see the Sony A9’s UHS-I slot as being gimped, it’s just how technology works/fits sometimes, they A9 isn’t a big body so heat was a issue if they had two UHS-II slots.

Last edited:
I agree with the OP.

I do think however that the sony a7iii is an impressive piece of kit for £2k if the corrected the issue with the memory slots it would almost certainly be the most technologically advanced camera available for £2k - its making me seriously consider trying out Sony's offering.

I agree with the OP.

I do think however that the sony a7iii is an impressive piece of kit for £2k if the corrected the issue with the memory slots

But it’s not an issue, it’s by design that one slot is UHS-I and the other UHS-II, you can’t have two UHS-II slots in the current A7/9 bodies due to heat sink requirements/size.

For £2k the Sony A7 III is great value.

But it’s not an issue, it’s by design that one slot is UHS-I and the other UHS-II, you can’t have two UHS-II slots in the current A7/9 bodies due to heat sink requirements/size.

For £2k the Sony A7 III is great value.

The heat issue is a guess unless you know it as a fact from a reputable source? In which case may I have a link?

The camera does 99% of what I need it to do, I’m just pointing out something that is so obviously silly which shouldn’t be in the first place.

I think you should be more than happy if the camera does 99% of what you want it to do - every marketing man in the world would be ecstatic with that result!

If the 1% of dis-satisfaction is the card slot feature of the camera then just change your shooting habit and run the sequence on continuous low so your buffer doesn't fill?

Canon would probably think you are silly complaining about 1% of the Camera; the profit margins to the company are it's main consideration - if they corrected what you see as a fault something else would have to be left out and that may generate more complaints or make the product inferior.

Last edited:
I think you should be more than happy if the camera does 99% of what you want it to do - every marketing man in the world would be ecstatic with that result!

If the 1% of dis-satisfaction is the card slot feature of the camera then just change your shooting habit and run the sequence on continuous low so your buffer doesn't fill?

What can you say, I’m a perfectionist...and I don’t want to fall over and break my cameras.

Last edited:
The heat issue is a guess unless you know it as a fact from a reputable source? In which case may I have a link?

I don’t see what the big issue is here, your complaining about a design issue not a fault, at present Sony design their bodies with 1x UHS-II and 1x UHS-I, you either buy or don’t knowing this spec.

I can only speculate it’s down to heat and I can’t remember where I read it, the A7R III teardown shows that both slots are different in design.

Yes I agree 2x UHS-II slots would be better and I too would want that along with lots of other features but unfortunately manufacturers are in it to make money, they’ll never make a perfect body, technology moves on, we’ll have xQD Gen2, UHS-III next etc

How does shooting on continuous low make you more likely to fall over? ..............and if you did you would only be carrying one camera :)

It’s in about 10 posts before yours.

This is what I do...

Raymond - you're talking in riddles!

You say your buffer fills so you swap bodies, I say lower your firing rate so your buffer doesn't fill then you won't need to swap bodies - simples :)

This is what I do...

I think we may have happened upon a reason why they may not be putting two equally fast card slots in their cameras, it is not cost, not size, not heat it is that people are buying two cameras to overcome the problem. :eek: It doesn't on the surface be costing them sales, and if it is, there will be a few who will buy another camera, or even upgrade to a more expensive model. :rolleyes: :LOL:

I don’t see what the big issue is here, your complaining about a design issue not a fault, at present Sony design their bodies with 1x UHS-II and 1x UHS-I, you either buy or don’t knowing this spec.

I can only speculate it’s down to heat and I can’t remember where I read it, the A7R III teardown shows that both slots are different in design.

Yes I agree 2x UHS-II slots would be better and I too would want that along with lots of other features but unfortunately manufacturers are in it to make money, they’ll never make a perfect body, technology moves on, we’ll have xQD Gen2, UHS-III next etc

That’s why I’m complaining, someone made a conscious decision to gimp the camera, that kind of stupidity irrates me. That’s the issue.

However if you have evidence and not a guess it’s due to heat...I’d like to hear it, but like I said, other bodies can do it, it’s time the rest do it now.

And what I am asking isn’t cutting edge tech, UHS-II has been out a while now so it’s not like I’m asking for the moon is it?

I’m asking for what essentially should be the basics for this level of gear. We are not talking about entry level bodies, we are talking about the VERY VERY best they offer or the immediate model below it.

That’s why I’m complaining, someone made a conscious decision to gimp the camera, that kind of stupidity irrates me. That’s the issue.

However if you have evidence and not a guess it’s due to heat...I’d like to hear it, but like I said, other bodies can do it, it’s time the rest do it now.

And what I am asking isn’t cutting edge tech, UHS-II has been out a while now so it’s not like I’m asking for the moon is it?

I’m asking for what essentially should be the basics for this level of gear. We are not talking about entry level bodies, we are talking about the VERY VERY best they offer or the immediate model below it.

Then stop buying a bloody camera that has a fault that you state is only a 1% dis-satisfaction yet generates four pages of whinging about it - :thinking:

Be very happy it does 99% of what you want!

Last edited:
Raymond - you're talking in riddles!

You say your buffer fills so you swap bodies, I say lower your firing rate so your buffer doesn't fill then you won't need to swap bodies - simples :)

Sigh.. it’s very simple.

The confetti lasts about 20-30 seconds, I want to, I need to shoot as many as I can. It’s the ONLY time in the entire day I machine gun it.

Lower it...why not just shoot just 1 shot? And hope that in 1 shot it’s fhe perfect one.

I’m sorry but my skill is not at a level to see where a thousand confetti may land or block the couple’s faces.

Hence for that moment I want this.

Granted this is very specific and I can appreciate most people don’t do this but this does not remove the fact that putting a slower cars slot is a bottle neck for reasons that is baffling.

Then stop buying a bloody camera that has a fault that you state is only a 1% dis-satisfaction yet generates four pages of whinging about it - :thinking:

The irritation here is they are SO close to perfect but stupid decisions like this is Stupid...you can’t see that? This is like running a marathon at a world record pace but with 1metre to go you decide to stop there and wave at the crowd and miss that record because you can’t just finish the job. Everything is on track and then you do something stupid.

I can live with physical or hardware reasons but as far as I can tell...there isn’t one, not anymore.

However if people know otherwise, I’d love to hear it.

Sigh.. it’s very simple.

The confetti lasts about 20-30 seconds, I want to, I need to shoot as many as I can. It’s the ONLY time in the entire day I machine gun it.

Lower it...why not just shoot just 1 shot? And hope that in 1 shot it’s fhe perfect one.

I’m sorry but my skill is not at a level to see where a thousand confetti may land or block the couple’s faces.

Hence for that moment I want this.

Granted this is very specific and I can appreciate most people don’t do this but this does not remove the fact that putting a slower cars slot is a bottle neck for reasons that is baffling.

If this shot is so 'critical' to your wedding album for the day I am surprised you don't purchase a camera with a higher FPS rate; you could have 14 FPS so would have 7FPS more to get this oh so critical shot! - your argument is just completely flawed and, dare I say it quite ridiculous!

Last edited:
I think we may have happened upon a reason why they may not be putting two equally fast card slots in their cameras, it is not cost, not size, not heat it is that people are buying two cameras to overcome the problem. :eek: It doesn't on the surface be costing them sales, and if it is, there will be a few who will buy another camera, or even upgrade to a more expensive model. :rolleyes: :LOL:

Trust me, if I can carry 3 bodies, I’d do it, just to get more shots in. And I did have three 5D once but there just no way to carry 3 cameras without it getting in the way of each other lol

It’s not about money, it’s about getting the shot. Put that UHS-II in, I’d happily pay for it.

I know how your feeling, I’m annoyed why Sony has added easy firmware extra’s to the Sony A7R III and A7 III yet not bothered putting them in the A9.
But sometimes the marketing team make silly decisions.

Back