The silly state of dual memory card.

Is it a problem? Or a potential problem?
I suppose it depends on how many confetti shots you have actually missed?

C'mon Robert - answer the mans question for gawd's sake - have you not read his drivel on how he is a perfectionist, it is easy photographing cars doing 200mph or footballers scoring goals yet he has to walk backwards at 1mph which makes him worry in case he falls over, AND,.............low & behold, the poor love..........has to carry two cameras so he can swap them over mid-confetti throwing in order to get to get 210 shots of the scene (30 secs as 7fps). God forbid that all of those 210 shots may not have the confetti just how he likes it :) (the man should be in a circus doing such a 'daring-do' clever trick; walking backwards slowly, carrying two cameras .......and swapping between them whilst doing all this!)

He has 22K of lenses just to capture 'the moment' - I wonder how many moments have been missed swapping all those lenses over and deciding which one is absolutely perfect for what he wants :)

Out of interest I noticed some of his 'albums' don't contain the magical, mysterious confetti throwing moment - I wonder if he got paid for those assignments or did he just fall over and claim Compensation from Canon because he bought a camera that hasn't got the features he wants and it is all their fault! (n)

Interestingly, Mr Lin states all sports photography is easy as you can predict the high speed crashes and capture the car disintegrating, or that special goal at the football match that happens in a split second................... I can just imagine Mr Lin at the wedding where the guests line up with confetti in their hands, the lovely couple walk between their friends for 20-30 seconds and the confetti is thrown. Meanwhile, Mr Lin (in the middle of a lens change) is jumping up and down shouting.............'Damn, I missed that, I didn't predict that confetti being thrown, it all came as a big surprise to me!'

(all 'tongue-in- cheek' of course and trying to add humour )

On a serious note Raymond - there are ways of 'walking backwards' that are much safer and offer far better balance; they are taught to martial artists so there is far less chance of being off balance and falling over.

Last edited:
C'mon Robert - answer the mans question for gawd's sake - have you not read his drivel on how he is a perfectionist, is easy photographing cars doing 200mph but he doesn't want to walk backwards at 1mph in case he falls over, AND,.............low & behold, the poor love..........has to carry two cameras so he can get 210 shots of the confetti throwing (30 secs as 7fps). God forbid that all of those 210 shots may not have the confetti just how he likes it :)

He has 22K of lenses just to capture 'the moment' - I wonder how many moments have been missed swapping all those lenses over and deciding which one is absolutely perfect for what he wants :)

Out of interest I noticed some of his 'albums' don't contain the magical, mysterious confetti throwing moment - I wonder if he got paid for those assignments or did he just fall over and claim Compensation from Canon because he bought a camera that hasn't got the features he wants :)

Interestingly, Mr Lin states all sports photography is easy as you can predict the high speed crashes and capture the car disintegrating, or that special goal at the football match that happens in a split second................... I can just imagine Mr Lin at the wedding where the guests line up with confetti in their hands, the lovely couple walk between their friends for 20-30 seconds and after the event Mr Lin is jumping up and down shouting.............'Damn, I missed that, I didn't predict that confetti being thrown, it all came as a big surprise to me!'

(all 'tongue-in- cheek' of course)
I was being serious.
I have read the whole thread btw.
I know you say "tongue in cheek" but you are having a "dig":)

Last edited:
I was being serious.
I have read the whole thread btw.
I know you say "tongue in cheek" but you are having a "dig":)

His very first line on this thread is:

Raymond Lin said:
BIG RANT COMING UP

Rant comes from the Dutch ranten, "to talk nonsense."

He has been given all the answers by numerous people to this 'Rant' on page 1 of the thread.

So yes, it is a dig, but made with humour.

Raymond Lin said:
Now…..rant on 5D3 over, they did the same again with the 5D4…..same again. WTF.

Again, having even more Canon glass now, bought it again

and then Rant for a further five pages - how can you have a reasoned discussion with someone who buys a camera as a professional photographer that he believes the manufacturer got wrong two generations ago but he still buys the latest model of that camera?

Last edited:
His very first line on this thread is:

Rant comes from the Dutch ranten, "to talk nonsense."

He has been given all the answers by numerous people to this 'Rant' on page 1 of the thread.

So yes, it is a dig, but made with humour.

and then Rant for a further five pages - how can you have a reasoned discussion with someone who buys a camera as a professional photographer that he believes the manufacturer got wrong two generations ago but he still buys the latest model of that camera?

You'll find Raymond that Fraser has an answer for every problem and he doesn't like it if you don't listen to him. On his thread re ISO he was calling people stupid and whining and whinging that they didn't read the links that he posted. He could not understand why every photographer in the world didn't want to take up his suggestion of under exposing everything until you can't see what you've taken until you add + 37 stops of exposure in post. He did it for more than 5 pages. He is obviously an expert in giving advice even when he changes that advice to different advice he still expects you to take it.

And on top of that he's patronising.

I vote Sony A9,
Yes it still has a UHS-I shot but imagine all the money you’d have left over by selling off £22k’s worth of Canon gear?
Just buy the lenses you need?

The other option is to wait until Canon do offer 2x slots with the higher speeds.

It’s just a question of when Sony, Canon and others start putting in 2x fast slots as apposed to one.

I vote Sony A9,
Yes it still has a UHS-I shot but imagine all the money you’d have left over by selling off £22k’s worth of Canon gear?
Just buy the lenses you need?

The other option is to wait until Canon do offer 2x slots with the higher speeds.

It’s just a question of when Sony, Canon and others start putting in 2x fast slots as apposed to one.
The man makes sense.

You either buy what you think you need right now, which the Sony will or you wait for Canon to produce what you're after.

Either way, your current camera will not magically morph an SD slot into a CF slot (irrespective of whether you have a point or even whether Canon themselves agree it's silly).

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

Last edited:
Trust me, if I can carry 3 bodies, I’d do it, just to get more shots in. And I did have three 5D once but there just no way to carry 3 cameras without it getting in the way of each other lol

It’s not about money, it’s about getting the shot. Put that UHS-II in, I’d happily pay for it.
If it's not about money, why not just hire a second shooter for the confetti shots.

You'll find Raymond that Fraser has an answer for every problem and he doesn't like it if you don't listen to him. On his thread re ISO he was calling people stupid and whining and whinging that they didn't read the links that he poste. He could not understand why every photographer in the world didn't want to take up his suggestion of under exposing everything until you can't see what you've taken until you add + 37 stops of exposure in post. He did it for more than 5 pages. He is obviodusly an expert in giving advice even when he changes that advice to different advice he still expects you to take it.

And on top of that he's patronising.

Gaz - what utter tosh! Can you find evidence that I was calling people stupid (I think I did it once in a reply to someone who wrote'call me stupid'...and was humour); I think you will find it was the other way round!

from that thread:

Bollygum said:
This is all very silly

Bollygum said:
This is utter rubbish

Much later in the thread -

Bollygum said:
As for my comments about things being silly and utter rubbish. Mostly they were wrong

Others also found the fact that people don't read posts very frustrating:

HoppyUK said:
Does anybody read every post? Yes, if I want to learn something. And definitely yes if I want more information or enter into debate.

249 post and half of them are from you, yet now we learn you didn't read everything, didn't follow explanatory links, and your judgement was prejudiced by a firm conviction that you knew better and everybody else - on here, and multiple other respected sources

I never changed the advice! I didn't even give any advice - it was a discussion on a theory that had been raised somewhere else on the Internet but you obviously couldn't follow that even though the very first post stated it!

Even you said in that discussion:

Gaz J said:
I cannot say whether this method gives a better final image quality than a more normal approach. I have no intention of trying it

Which shows a very closed mind?

Please, make your character assassinations accurate rather than getting them to fit your purpose.

Last edited:
YES, IT IS UNREASONABLE TO ASK CANON TO CHANGE THE CARD SLOTS ON YOUR CAMERA - HAPPY?

The conversation with Canon maybe something like this:

(Canon) Mr Lin, I hear you want us to change the memory card slots in your camera?
(R) Yes Please
(Canon) One simple question Mr. Lin, can I ask why you bought it in the first place?
(R) Don't get me wrong, I like 99% of the camera but this is really annoying me; I'm frightened i may fall over whilst walking backwards with the Camera(s) trying to get one shot where a piece of confetti isn't in the wrong place!
(Canon) I think we can help; here is the Canon 1Dxxxx - it does just what you are after
(R) But that's more expensive!
(Canon) Yes, it is our flagship model that does what you want, if we made your camera the same as this but at half the price of our flagship model only crazy people would buy the more expensive one and our profits would shrink.
(R) but thats not fair on ME!
(Canon) Mr Lin, please appreciate the 1Dxxx is our flagship model; it comes with very little compromise, your camera at half the price has more compromises - if we put a dual card system in it people with older cards would complain, or we could leave out the dual pixel technology to recover the costs or maybe lower the resolution?
(R) but Nikon & Sony have the dual card system
(Canon) If the other brands suit you then you are free to buy one of their cameras, but they don't have some of the other features your Camera has

..........get the drift?

Further to the above - I use a Nikon D4 and love the dual card system - I have a load of CF cards (from the D3 and D2 I owned/still own) that are slower than the XQD but I write RAW to them both. At the end of the day I check my CF cards have worked and keep them if I'm on holiday, i then erase the XQD card, load the camera with another CF card and do the same the next day, so whilst you think the dual card system is bad I think it is good so why should Canon change; I think they are doing it right for the level of Camera you have chosen.

Where did I ask Canon to change the card slot in my camera in my hand? I am asking them to do something for the future and no, I am not asking you for a forecast. I started this thread because the brand new Sony A7iii has done the same so clearly someone is being stupid.

I think you have a comprehension problem when you think I want them to change the spec in my camera.

There has been no progress between the 5D3 to 5D4 in this respect.

I want them to make PROGRESS in their camera. You get it?

Last edited:
If it's not about money, why not just hire a second shooter for the confetti shots.

Hard to say this without sounding bad but most second shooters are 2nd shooters for a reason…and a 2nd shooter isn't going to help me to get this confetti shot, its not like he or she can be next to me shooting this.

And then it's not about money, they have to have the right work ethics, I've seen some who would happy to take a drink offered, I'd fire you on the spot if you do that. I've seen some turn up in jeans….you would stand out like a sore thumb, I would send you home. Then they need to have the same camera as me because i like consistency in files. This is besides money, accommodation, insurance, tax and all that stuff.

Last edited:
Where did I ask Canon to change the card slot in my camera in my hand? I am asking them to do something for the future and no, I am not asking you for a forecast. I started this thread because the brand new Sony A7iii has done the same so clearly someone is being stupid.

I think you have a comprehension problem when you think I want them to change the spec in my camera.

I have No comprehension problems at all Raymond! You have the comprehension problem!

If Canon & Sony are not doing as you want there is a reason for this that YOU can not understand! As I and others have said someone has made the decision at those companies to do what they do - it might be costs, or it might that the majority prefer it the way it is. (this has been discussed numerous times in replies to you but you struggle to understand this because you want it the way YOU prefer!)

How many times do people have to tell you:
(1) Stick with what you have.
(2) Buy a camera (from any manufacturer) that does what you want.
(3) Change what you do

It really is simple!

You are NOT ASKING CANON ANYTHING! You are ranting on a forum - have you discussed anything with Canon!

Yes, it is frustrating - you have been given the ONLY solutions many times over by different people in this thread but you struggle to COMPREHEND this?

Last edited:
C'mon Robert - answer the mans question for gawd's sake - have you not read his drivel on how he is a perfectionist, it is easy photographing cars doing 200mph or footballers scoring goals yet he has to walk backwards at 1mph which makes him worry in case he falls over, AND,.............low & behold, the poor love..........has to carry two cameras so he can swap them over mid-confetti throwing in order to get to get 210 shots of the scene (30 secs as 7fps). God forbid that all of those 210 shots may not have the confetti just how he likes it :) (the man should be in a circus doing such a 'daring-do' clever trick; walking backwards slowly, carrying two cameras .......and swapping between them whilst doing all this!)

Out of interest I noticed some of his 'albums' don't contain the magical, mysterious confetti throwing moment - I wonder if he got paid for those assignments or did he just fall over and claim Compensation from Canon because he bought a camera that hasn't got the features he wants and it is all their fault! (n)

Interestingly, Mr Lin states all sports photography is easy as you can predict the high speed crashes and capture the car disintegrating, or that special goal at the football match that happens in a split second................... I can just imagine Mr Lin at the wedding where the guests line up with confetti in their hands, the lovely couple walk between their friends for 20-30 seconds and the confetti is thrown. Meanwhile, Mr Lin (in the middle of a lens change) is jumping up and down shouting.............'Damn, I missed that, I didn't predict that confetti being thrown, it all came as a big surprise to me!'

(all 'tongue-in- cheek' of course and trying to add humour )

On a serious note Raymond - there are ways of 'walking backwards' that are much safer and offer far better balance; they are taught to martial artists so there is far less chance of being off balance and falling over.

Can you post something without insults?

I guess not. I told you I don't think you are funny.

I have No comprehension problems at all Raymond! You have the comprehension problem!

If Canon & Sony are not doing as you want there is a reason for this that YOU can not understand! As I and others have said someone has made the decision at those companies to do what they do - it might be costs, or it might that the majority prefer it the way it is.

How many times do people have to tell you:
(1) Stick with what you have.
(2) Buy a camera (from any manufacturer) that does what you want.
(3) Change what you do

It really is simple!

And previous cameras like the 5D and 5D2 didn't have dual cards either.

That's call progress !!!!

How does the majority want a slower card slots anyway?

Shall we do a poll asking whether they want 1 of their card slot to be half the speed of the other or would they prefer both to be the same (as the faster one)? Besides buffer or heating, that's a separate issue. It's a simple question? Do you want to start that poll?

As for technical reasons, I already told you, Moore's Law dictates that computing power doubles every 2 years, the 5D3 would have started R&D 10+ years ago, Sony A7III came out this month. It's 10 years gap, the differences in MP count between the cameras is 2mp….there should be no problem with heat or power.

If you are thinking of them personally gimping it because they want me to go up to the top model. I already stated in my original post, and you clearly assumed wrong with your PROSUMER camera comment, and I proved you wrong that even Canon describe it as a PROFESSIONAL camera. and ALREADY stated in my original post, which you clearly did not read, I stated that for a professional, you shoot back up and for back up to be viable, it needs to be the same, so logic dictates that it should be the same as the 1st.

And I already stated that flagship like the A9 or A7Riii don't have 2 identical camera slots. Explain that !! Please, explain that.

Try your best not to be funny, answer me why they gimp the A9 and a7RIII if you think their logic is to push you to the higher spec?

What higher spec in their range above the A9 and A7Riii ?

You can't answer that can you?

Last edited:
Essentially designing a camera (or any electronics) is a series of compromises. Balancing features, usability, heat management and battery life (amongst other things).
Fitting slower second slots is a compromise too; to Raymond (and other blog posters have “ranted” similar it’s a wrong compromise (and on the face of it I agree even though don’t need the functionality myself) but perhaps the compromises required to have two full speed slots is even greater.

It’s unreasonable to expect Canon et al to change design based on Raymond’s use case; however it’s not to “ask” why ... without such rants forums like this would hardly exist :)

Last edited:
Essentially designing a camera (or any electronics) is a series of compromises. Balancing features, usability, heat management and battery life (amongst other things).
Fitting slower second slots is a compromise too; to Raymond (and other blog posters have “ranted” similar it’s a wrong compromise (and on the face of it I agree even though don’t need the functionality myself) but perhaps the compromises required to have two full speed slots is even greater.

It’s unreasonable to expect Canon et al to change design based on Raymond’s use case; however it’s not to “ask” why ... without such rants forums like this would hardly exist :)

My reasoning for change is my own, but that isn't why I want them to change. If I didn't do that I probably would be like most of you don't see it its as a problem. However the principle of it still stands. Notwithstanding any other technical limitation, putting 1 card slot slower by design into their flagship or "professional" range is a silly decision from a pure engineering point of view. Because even an idiot would see that as a bottleneck before you even start testing.

As for Fraser asking why I am posting here, it's because it's a forum….people discuss things.

Notwithstanding any other technical limitation, putting 1 card slot slower by design into their flagship or "professional" range is a silly decision from a pure engineering point of view. Because even an idiot would see that as a bottleneck before you even start testing.
I (mostly) agree with you; but as I say it depends what compromise was needed to effect that decision.

If (such as in the Sony A9) it would require a second heat sink and slightly larger body then yes a silly decision.

As for Fraser asking why I am posting here, it's because it's a forum….people discuss things.
Quite agree... I suspect the real answer is the designers haven’t got the message fed back to them: so the more people complain the more likely change is likely.

And previous cameras like the 5D and 5D2 didn't have dual cards either.

That's call progress !!!!

Buying a Camera in the first place that has what you want is:

Called Common Sense!!!

Not wanting to spend the money on the Camera Body the Company sell that Offers what you want because it costs more is:

Called being Tight!!

Understanding why the Camera Manufacturer didn't implement it in the body you bought is

Unknown but could consist of various reasons like I have already said - I like the dual card format as many others might!
(I gave my reasons in a previous post so won't repeat them again!)

So stop crying about the fact that Canon hasn't designed a camera perfect for your own needs, that is called:

Being Selfish

Having a camera that does 99% of what you want is called:

Pretty damn good!!

Last edited:
I (mostly) agree with you; but as I say it depends what compromise was needed to effect that decision.

If (such as in the Sony A9) it would require a second heat sink and slightly larger body then yes a silly decision.

Quite agree... I suspect the real answer is the designers haven’t got the message fed back to them: so the more people complain the more likely change is likely.

That's the thing, A7III is a year later than the A9 now, it's half the FPS as the A9, so half the amount of data being pushed through, it's still the same. Whatever the reasoning, they need to fix it because as I stated in the opening post, it's just ridiculous. Putting in 2 card of the same speed seems like such a simple concept, but weirdly Fraser thinks it's beneficial, he must have stocks.

Buying a Camera in the first place that has what you want is:

Called Common Sense!!!

Not wanting to spend the money on the Camera Body the Company sell that Offers what you want because it costs more is:

Called being Tight!!

Understanding why the Camera Manufacturer didn't implement it in the body you bought is

Unknown but could consist of various reasons like I have already said - I like the dual card format as many others might!
(I gave my reasons in a previous post so won't repeat them again!)

So stop crying about the fact that Canon hasn't designed a camera perfect for your own needs, that is called:

Being Selfish

Having a camera that does 99% of what you want is called:

Pretty damn good!!

Failure in understanding the concept of progress.

You would still be shooting film and if you honestly believe what you are saying.

@Fraser Euan White

Do you think, regardless of anything else and the possible reasons for not having card slots of equal speed, because 'we' just don't know, that having two memory card slots of a similar write speed would be a good thing when it comes to writing data to the cards at the same time?

Do you think, when copying data internally from one card to another, having the two cards slots have a similar performance would be beneficial, especially when cards normally have faster read than write speeds?

Do you think that someone can buy a camera, and maybe not think when they are buying it, about every situation they may encounter and become frustrated when a camera can't perform in a certain set of circumstances they happen to use it in?

Do you think that someone can upgrade a camera, even though the new camera may have not addressed the specific problem they had with the previous camera for all the other improvements?

Did you see that this is in the Talk Equipment section on a Photography website?

From what I have read that Raymond has posted in this thread, it comes down to a few questions.

Do you think it is good/right that a manufacturer, in his case Canon, puts a second card slot that is not as fast at writing data as the first slot?

Do you think that not having card slots of the same speed are not a true/great implementation of backing up?

Does anyone know why a manufacturer may make that design choice?

Unless he asks the questions, it is hard to determine in a quick and easy way how much his problem with the design choice is a problem/concern to others. Where better to ask than on a popular Photography site talking about Photography Equipment?

Unless you know people in the photography business, who do you ask why such a design decision has been made other than on a Photography site. A site that may or may not have people working in the camera design business, but has many people from different walks of life who may have an insight from their own experience. Hard to reach that broad section of people if you don't ask the questions.

Having an expectation that posting a thread on a photography website about a certain perceived design mistake will have any effect on the future design choices of a manufacturer is hopeful to say the least, and while I don't think this is what Raymond expected, if there is no thread about this there is no chance of anyone reading about the problem.

By posting a thread someone may have an idea about a way round the problem which Raymond may not have considered. But when options have been offered, and have been acknowledged and rejected, is there a need to keep repeating the options, especially when Raymond seemed to be asking about the use of two matched memory cards in camera. Repeating the options with a 'choose an option or shut up' attitude doesn't really move any discussion forward in any helpful way.

All that is what I have got from what started as an interesting thread, before it seemed to morph into questions about other things, and 'attacking' the OP to continually justify themselves for even asking the original questions. Yvmv

@Fraser Euan White

Do you think, regardless of anything else and the possible reasons for not having card slots of equal speed, because 'we' just don't know, that having two memory card slots of a similar write speed would be a good thing when it comes to writing data to the cards at the same time?

Do you think, when copying data internally from one card to another, having the two cards slots have a similar performance would be beneficial, especially when cards normally have faster read than write speeds?

Do you think that someone can buy a camera, and maybe not think when they are buying it, about every situation they may encounter and become frustrated when a camera can't perform in a certain set of circumstances they happen to use it in?

Do you think that someone can upgrade a camera, even though the new camera may have not addressed the specific problem they had with the previous camera for all the other improvements?

Did you see that this is in the Talk Equipment section on a Photography website?

From what I have read that Raymond has posted in this thread, it comes down to a few questions.

Do you think it is good/right that a manufacturer, in his case Canon, puts a second card slot that is not as fast at writing data as the first slot?

Do you think that not having card slots of the same speed are not a true/great implementation of backing up?

Does anyone know why a manufacturer may make that design choice?

Unless he asks the questions, it is hard to determine in a quick and easy way how much his problem with the design choice is a problem/concern to others. Where better to ask than on a popular Photography site talking about Photography Equipment?

Unless you know people in the photography business, who do you ask why such a design decision has been made other than on a Photography site. A site that may or may not have people working in the camera design business, but has many people from different walks of life who may have an insight from their own experience. Hard to reach that broad section of people if you don't ask the questions.

Having an expectation that posting a thread on a photography website about a certain perceived design mistake will have any effect on the future design choices of a manufacturer is hopeful to say the least, and while I don't think this is what Raymond expected, if there is no thread about this there is no chance of anyone reading about the problem.

By posting a thread someone may have an idea about a way round the problem which Raymond may not have considered. But when options have been offered, and have been acknowledged and rejected, is there a need to keep repeating the options, especially when Raymond seemed to be asking about the use of two matched memory cards in camera. Repeating the options with a 'choose an option or shut up' attitude doesn't really move any discussion forward in any helpful way.

All that is what I have got from what started as an interesting thread, before it seemed to morph into questions about other things, and 'attacking' the OP to continually justify themselves for even asking the original questions. Yvmv

Yes to most of the above but in respect to making a mistake buying a camera and not foreseeing the problem - he has bought two generations of the model!

Is my answer not valid?

I have lots of older technology memory cards that I still want to use but would also like the other upgrades.

I could buy a D5 but I'm not ready yet to ''bin' my old storage and still want XQD speed in the first slot. That is a choice I make not a fault of Nikon design!

Having an older/slower card slot is very very useful for me at present but Raymond can't understand this because it isn't what he wants to hear?

If a camera feature is so important to me then I buy the camera with that feature (Canon 1D) or I accept the compromise and realise the manufacturer has done it for their own reasons.

Last edited:
one thing to consider is the 5d series was never really designed as a high speed camera that job was left to the 1d's
bearing that in mind the only thing i can come up with for one card slot being faster than the other is 4k video
the sd slot is only rated at 30 MBs by canon and the CF slot is rated at 100 MBS
the 4K video format canon has chose to use is MJpeg at a rate of 500 mbs which according to canon the sd slot is not capable of sustaining but the cf slot is with the right card

the 1dx 2 uses the same mjpeg format but it's maximum data rate is 800mbs ( 4k 60fps ) and at that rate can only be written to the Cfast card the CF slot cannot cope with the data rate no matter what card you use but it will cope with 4k 30fps with the very fast CF cards the same as the 5d mk4 does

that's my take on the different card types in the canon cameras and yes it is flawed and the OP has come across a situation where it hinders his type of photography but canon do offer a solution in the 1d bodies
like the OP says it one hell of a stretch for a solution that could have easily been rectified with two of the faster slots but then were into 1d territory which i think canon will not want to venture in purely from a financial point of view

just my 2p worth

Last edited:
It seems fair enough to lobby for features from higher end cameras in a range to filter down. It happens all the time, but make sure you're lobbying the right people (Canon) and accept that they may selectively choose to keep features to their different target markets because that's how they make their money and build distinction.

Then realise that today, there is a solution at hand - The 1D series; like your 5D series it has compromises (mainly size / cost), but that's the nature of the camera business - they want you to buy multiple bodies and as high up the range they can get you. 10 Years ago, I wanted RADAR controlled cruise control in my car because of my hellish daily crawl on the M25 - at the time the only option was to go big and drive a specced up Mercedes. Today, you can get the same (or similar) in cars costing a hell of a lot less from Mercedes. Same is not true of the AMG tuning though - that's still limited to the top end; no real reason it could not all be pushed down other than brand / model distinctiveness - Cameras are no different.

Massive buffer though :)
Well (according to the manual) 59 shots with a CompactFlash vs 170 for CFast... so still the same “problem” that Raymond is talking about albeit a magnitude higher.

Nikon D5 manages 200 with one or two cards!

Sony does 220ish regardless
But still reduces performance if cards are used (from the figures I've seen). Doesn't it do 300+ with just 1 UHS-II card?

Maybe in real world circumstances the difference / number of shots is irrelevant ... but it only takes 1 missed shot because the second card is slower for the difference in write speeds to be an issue!

As I said before there may be reasons why the two card slots are different: essentially you have to decide if maximum performance is important to you or maximum reliability. And in a "flagship" camera, why should you have to make that choice?

As I commented wrt to the Canon 1DX Mk II ... the problem is lessened by a larger buffer, but the problem still exists and the question can still be asked (at least rhetorically) why not 2 identical cards?

Last edited:
The significant bit is - you don't have to! There are cameras available that offer the OP what he wants.

Second significantly statement is 'choice' He had the choice to buy a camera that offers the feature he is after but didn't.

I may well be wrong but not being a Canon shooter I don't look on the 5D as their flagship camera - IMO the 1D series is their flagship?

Last edited:
The significant bit is - you don't have to! There are cameras available that offer the OP what he wants.
Second significantly statement is 'choice' He had the choice to buy a camera that offers the feature he is after but didn't.
No, the significant bit is that even with so called flagship cameras from Sony and Canon ... you have to (as I said above) choose between maximum performance and maximum reliability.

So your second significant statement (in the one word statement) is correct "choice" but not the choice you suggest.

Probably because of the answer I have given several times before - some (maybe quite a few) like the dual card system as they have older technology that works well with it.

Probably because of the answer I have given several times before - some (maybe quite a few) like the dual card system as they have older technology that works well with it.
I can see Raymond’s point here about your comments Fraser ... why would you want the limitation if the design could gets around it. You can say it’s not a limitation many people will come up against, but you can’t seriously claim you like the limitation that to use 2 cards in backup you have to accept a lower performance?

I can accept that there may be limitations which force such a compromise... but why would you LIKE a dual card system with such a compromise?

Last edited:
@Raymond Lin

The answer to the dual card slots dilemma you face was posted on the second page of this thread.
If you look at the numbers, it's NOT the speed of the card slots that slows things down, it's writing to BOTH slots at once.

So that is the first point to address - and that, based on discussions I've had with the electronics engineer at work on which version of USB to include on our product, is where things get harder, and more expensive quite quickly.

So just did some testing with the D500 and Lexar 32GB 2933x XQD 2.0 Card and the fastest Lexar Professional 32 GB Class 10 UHS-II 2000x Speed (300 MB/s) SDHC.

RAW files to each card in 'Backup' varied between 56, 67 and 71 files on three attempts at 10fps. Not sure what changed, but the subject and lighting didn't. :thinking:

RAW to the XQD did 199 @ 10fps
RAW to the SD did 198 @ 10fps

Canon putting 4K in their new mirrorless because people moan they don’t do 4K

Fuji putting IBIS in their XH1 because people want IBIS since Sony does it

Sony putting in a bigger battery in the A7III because people complain the battery life is short

Canon adding log to the 5D4 because videographer wanted it

It’s progress, just switching system isn’t always the answer when we all know none are perfect.
In all of those instances one could say, just get a different camera! If that’s the only answer then why do we even have a forum about gear?

Back