The silly state of dual memory card.

I know how your feeling, I’m annoyed why Sony has added easy firmware extra’s to the Sony A7R III and A7 III yet not bothered putting them in the A9.
But sometimes the marketing team make silly decisions.

Clearly they are not that silly - Raymond keeps buying them!

The whole Canon marketing team probably meet every time he shoots a wedding so he can fall over walking backwards and breaks his camera so he buys another :)

Last edited:
If this shot is so 'critical' to your wedding album for the day I am surprised you don't purchase a camera with a higher FPS rate; you could have 14 FPS so would have 7FPS more to get this oh so critical shot! - your argument is just completely flawed and, dare I say it quite ridiculous!

Flaw logic ?

You mean like an engineer designing a camera…lets put slot 1 to be fast, so this camera can do like 40 shots before it slots down. This is a professional camera, these photographers will need back up, so we need 2 slots.

But hey, let's make this one slower because we want to bottle neck it, it doesn't matter slot 1 is fast, slot 2 has to be slower, because that make sense.

That kind of logic?

What i am asking is totally reasonable, it is a tiny part, i am not sure its even an R&D issue, its not like they have to invent a new card format, UHS-II is a real thing, it is a real thing that people uses. It exists, they just need to put it in.

What is ridiculous is you thinking what i am asking is ridiculous, how is putting 2 fast card slots harm you or any photographers in any way? Or how is putting a slower slot be a benefit ?

Last edited:
Flaw logic ?

But hey, let's make this one slower because we want to bottle neck it.

That kind of logic?

Great decision - it stops sales being taken away from the camera they have designed for high speed shooting :)

Have they lost your business because of it? ...........who has the flawed logic then!

There are probably more good reasons for keeping the SD card format in this level of camera than worrying about you lying on your back after walking backwards because you want an extra 3 fps for 20-30 seconds of an 8 hr shoot!

Last edited:
Their logic was probably
1) fast slot for raw, cards don't fail often enough to make this an issue to create a second equally fast slot as immediate backup, anyone who wants that is probably a sports photographer and they will buy a 1DX
2) let's be real smart and assume they are a fashion shooter on location and need a backup tool, so give them a second slot they can use to backup after the shoot.
3) job done

Take it away marketing dept.

I don't necessarily agree with them as I think 2 equally fast card slots would be so much better even if they had to be raw and smaller jpeg only to maintain write speed. And tbh your clients wouldn't probably notice if it had to be a jpeg because the raw corrupted, they would be looking at the content not at how well you processed it.

Looks like you are on your own Ray, might be an idea to bail out now?

Last edited:
Great decision - it stops sales being taken away from the camera they have designed for high speed shooting :)

Have they lost your business because of it? ...........who has the flawed logic then!

How do I say this nicely?

I am pretty much stuck to the system due to the large amount of glass that i have.

This small thing is a huge irritation because I can't leave.

Why are you taking sides of the cooperation? do you have stocks in Canon or Sony or something? Or are you happy for your camera to be gimped? Are you happy that your top end camera missing features that your competitors have?

You keep saying flaw logic.

Okay….Here is the logic.

I have around 22k of Canon gear.

I could sell it or and get Nikon…in the process I will lose one of my most loved glass, the 85/1.2. I will lose the wonderful speedlite system with its RT. I will lose the compatibility to Sony bodies, I will lose the good dual pixel AF. I will lose the familiar UI.

and I will lose a LOT of money in switching over.

or I could get a 1D, which is about £6k more with 2 bodies, add to it the much bigger weight…which I don't want. Carrying 2 x 5D4 with prime lenses all day is not a walk in the park.

Or….they could simply put a UHS-II in.

You tell me, which one is flawed? Which one I should want if you were in my shoes?

Last edited:
Their logic was probably
1) fast slot for raw, cards don't fail often enough to make this an issue to create a second equally fast slot as immediate backup, anyone who wants that is probably a sports photographer and they will buy a 1DX
2) let's be real smart and assume they are a fashion shooter on location and need a backup tool, so give them a second slot they can use to backup after the shoot.
3) job done

Take it away marketing dept.

I don't necessarily agree with them as I think 2 equally fast card slots would be so much better even if they had to be raw and smaller jpeg only to maintain write speed. And tbh your clients wouldn't probably notice if it had to be a jpeg because the raw corrupted, they would be looking at the content not at how well you processed it.

Looks like you are on your own Ray, might be an idea to bail out now?

That's a flaw logic lol…..when you design something to be back up, by definition is you make it the same, identical.

Making it slower doesn't make sense.

I also hate it too when someone says "cards don't fail often". If one really think like that then they should have save the money all together and not put it in. By putting it in you are admitting it is required, and thus it should be the same.

Last edited:
There are probably more good reasons for keeping the SD card format in this level of camera than worrying about you lying on your back after walking backwards because you want an extra 3 fps for 20-30 seconds of an 8 hr shoot!

Like I said, if you have something concrete, I'd love to hear it.

By keep repeating "flaw logic" isn't really moving the conversation forward.

and the whole principle of it still stands, putting 1 slot slower makes no sense anymore. It's 7 years since the release of the 5D3….time to put in 2 fast card slots.

Last edited:
But if you turn off dual write you won't have an issue and in truth how often do you have a card fail at the precise moment that the confetti was in the correct position and the bride/groom had the exact expression you wanted?
The logic at Canon could have been as I described above.

You could therefore use a 1DX as main body with dual write, good buffer etc have a 5D as your carried 2nd camera and a spare 1D as backup camera in your car thereby reducing the weight you carry if you had 2 off 1D bodies
Just a thought to get round your issue without having to sell up and go Nikon or some other inferior system :)

Last edited:

I am pretty much stuck to the system due to the large amount of glass that i have.

Why are you taking sides of the cooperation? do you have stocks in Canon or Sony or something? Or are you happy for your camera to be gimped? Are you happy that your top end camera missing features that your competitors have?

Okay….Here is the logic.

I could sell it or and get Nikon…in the process I will lose one of my most loved glass, the 85/1.2. I will lose the wonderful speedlite system with its RT. I will lose the compatibility to Sony bodies, I will lose the good dual pixel AF. I will lose the familiar UI.

or I could get a 1D, which is about £6k more with 2 bodies, add to it the much bigger weight…which I don't want. Carrying 2 x 5D4 with prime lenses all day is not a walk in the park.

You tell me, which one is flawed?

Your's is definitely the flawed logic Raymond; Canon do a model that offers what you want and if it's that important to you then buy this model (Canon want people to do that). If it's not a huge problem keep buying the upgrade body (You have done that and it also keeps Canon happy).

From canon's point of view why put all their best features on a lower priced body - nobody would buy the Pro-Model.

I don't support the manufacturers but I also realise if they don't make money they will no longer exist and we move even closer to a monopoly where camera development would come to a halt.
You have a Pro-sumer body - there are probably millions who already have the older technology cards (and quite a few of them) at home; they might be put off buying the camera if they have to buy a load of new cards - funny as f**k people at times :help:

Last edited:
Your's is definitely the flawed logic Raymond; canon do a model that offers what you want and if it's that important to you then buy this model (Canon wan't people to do that). If it's not a huge problem keep buying the upgrade body (You have done that and it also keeps Canon happy).

From canon's point of view why put all their best features on a lower priced body - nobody would buy the Pro-Model.

I don't support the manufacturers but I also realise if they don't make money they will no longer exist and we move even closer to a monopoly where camera development would come to a halt.
You have a Pro-summer body - there are probably millions who already have the older technology cards (and quite a few of them) at home; they might be put off buying the camera if they have to buy a load of new cards - funny as f**k people at times :help:

Tell me, what should I do?

Spend £6,000 more for 1D?

Switch over the Nikon and then start a new thread about how Nikon sucks at this and that?

or trying do bring this issue forward and hoping Canon do something about it because the competition has clearly done something now, both Nikon and Fuji has 2 fast card slots in their high end bodies. And FYI, the D850 is not the flag ship model, or the D500, they both have dual fast card slots.

and 5D4 is not a Prosumer body….in case you didn't know, all the Canon bodies with a single digit is Professional., the semi professional has double digits and consumer has 3 digits. It has always been that way, even in the film SLR days. I am sure you know that.

2nd in line from the company is Prosumer?…..now that statement is flawed, it's just wrong.

The 5D4 is 2nd in the entire line of bodies, you are talking about it like it's a 1000D, "lower price body"….it has a £3,250 sticker price, for something this high up in the range, it's hardly asking a lot? It's like i am asking for the moon !

Here is a screenshot of Canon's own store online, this is how they describe it. Prosumer…..?

3DNYZhQ.png

Last edited:
But if you turn off dual write you won't have an issue and in truth how often do you have a card fail at the precise moment that the confetti was in the correct position and the bride/groom had the exact expression you wanted?
The logic at Canon could have been as I described above.

You could therefore use a 1DX as main body with dual write, good buffer etc have a 5D as your carried 2nd camera and a spare 1D as backup camera in your car thereby reducing the weight you carry if you had 2 off 1D bodies
Just a thought to get round your issue without having to sell up and go Nikon or some other inferior system :)

I have a few question.

Are you a brave enough man to play Russian Roulette with your client's wedding photos?

Would you want your photographer to do the same?

Are you suggesting me to really try my luck?

What do you suggest me do if that happens? Refer them to you for a refund? Are you happy to be my guarantor should my card fail at this moment?

FYI, I shoot 2 bodies at the same time. I set them up the same. I like it that way. I shoot with 2 different primes, I hate zooms (different topic) so it helps when I need something long, I switch body. I do this for many reasons, in consistency in file size, in consistency is workflow, in consistency in the IQ. I don't need to worry about the camera interface, they are the same.

I don't shoot with a backup camera in the car, like back up back up, they are both out and shot at the same time. But sometime I would put one down while I am shooting the other.

Last edited:
Raymond,
I can definitely see where your coming from.
I hope Sony give the Sony A9 features the lower end A7R III and A7 III have, technically it’s possible. :)

I have a few question.

Are you a brave enough man to play Russian Roulette with your client's wedding photos?

Would you want your photographer to do the same?

Are you suggesting me to really try my luck?

What do you suggest me do if that happens? Refer them to you for a refund? Are you happy to be my guarantor should my card fail at this moment?
As I said earlier, how often does it happen and yes there is a risk, do you honestly think they would ask for refund for 1 missed photo, really? I appreciate you would feel awful but there is a solution available and I don't think 1 lone voice is going to change Canon's marketing despite the fact I think you are right and it should have 2 fast slots with a decent buffer at this level, bottom line though is it hasn't and I doubt it ever will.
Trade 1 of your 5d against a 1d at minor cost and solve your issue?

Last edited:
I'll leave you blowing hot air - you need to decide what you want - you certainly aren't going to get it in the camera you have! So either stop whinging or buy the Professional One series camera designed for high speed shooting, not the prosumer 5D body (can't see Canon upgrading the 5D for some time; even then they might stick with the same as the camera mainly sells to enthusiasts who may like that feature?)

Last edited:
As I said earlier, how often does it happen and yes there is a risk, do you honestly think they would ask for refund for 1 missed photo, really? I appreciate you would feel awful but there is a solution available and I don't think 1 lone voice is going to change Canon's marketing despite the fact I think you are right and it should have 2 fast slots with a decent buffer at this level, bottom line though is it hasn't and I doubt it ever will.

Just so we are clear, you are the kind of photographer who will take the risk of losing a client's photo. So when they ask you why they didn't get the confetti shot, you can just tell them you are that kind of risk taker and you were wrong and hope they understand?

I'll leave you blowing hot air - you need to decide what you want - you certainly aren't going to get it in the camera you have! So either stop whinging or buy the Professional One series camera designed for high speed shooting.

So you have no solution to my question except come to question my logic? What is your goal here?

Or would the solution is to just put a UHS-II slot in? like Fuji and Nikon has done?

I don't want High Speed shooting, I just want 2 card slots to be the same. The camera can already do the speed that I want, if I shoot 1 card……I just want the other card to be the same !!!! Is that unreasonable?

Last edited:
Just so we are clear, you are the kind of photographer who will take the risk of losing a client's photo. So when they ask you why they didn't get the confetti shot, you can just tell them you are that kind of risk taker and you were wrong and hope they understand?
That's not what I am saying, I said get a 1d by trading up, carry a 5d for immediate back up and have a spare 1d (if you are that concerned that you need a fast camera as a spare in case your main body fails before the confetti shot).
I doubt you will get Canon to do what you want, so you will have to work around the issue.

That's not what I am saying, I said get a 1d by trading up, carry a 5d for immediate back up and have a spare 1d (if you are that concerned that you need a fast camera as a spare in case your main body fails before the confetti shot).
I doubt you will get Canon to do what you want, so you will have to work around the issue.

And as i explain….having 2 different bodies don't work, it's irritating.

I like consistency, I don't shoot with a back up, like spare. I have them both together, out, in the shoot.

And as the old saying goes, if you don't ask, you don't get.

Last edited:
Not wishing to take sides but if I were a pro and wanted live backup I would want same size and same format i.e full size raw being written to both cards at the same speed not a half baked ill thought out cf/SD solution that's been implemented on the 5D3 and 4. There is an excuse for the 3 but not the 4 and why should it be necessary to have to buy a brick like a 1D when the size of the 5 may suit a user better?
But people moaning will stick to canon and afraid to go somewhere else so why should canon implement it? @Raymond vote with your wallet...

And as i explain….having 2 different bodies don't work, it's irritating.

I like consistency, I don't shoot with a back up, like spare. I have them both together, out, in the shoot.

And as the old saying goes, if you don't ask, you don't get.
TP isn't going to solve your problems, Canon might, write to them, go to the Photography show or get 2 off 1D bodies.
Enough for me, I'm off to bed.
Night night.

Can’t you record in 4K and just pick a still from the footage?

And also, maybe the SD card slot is there for people who have lots of SD cards when upgrading from a 6d or lower end body, lots of computers have an sd card slot and even the iPad has an sd card reader, I don’t know I’m just guessing

So you have no solution to my question except come to question my logic? What is your goal here?

Or would the solution is to just put a UHS-II slot in? like Fuji and Nikon has done?

I don't want High Speed shooting, I just want 2 card slots to be the same. The camera can already do the speed that I want, if I shoot 1 card……I just want the other card to be the same !!!! Is that unreasonable?

Told you the answer early on - Lower your FPS so buffer doesn't fill or buy a different camera; 5 pages of 'I bought a camera with two different card slots that really annoys me; how silly am I !

Last edited:
Reactions: Nod

Okay….Here is the logic.

You tell me, which one is flawed? Which one I should want if you were in my shoes?
Sell it all and get a Sony a9. Can keep your 85mm. Performs better in the Sony actually. You get a huge buffer with that camera

Can’t you record in 4K and just pick a still from the footage?

And also, maybe the SD card slot is there for people who have lots of SD cards when upgrading from a 6d or lower end body, lots of computers have an sd card slot and even the iPad has an sd card reader, I don’t know I’m just guessing
4k is cropped. I wouldn't bother

Told you the answer early on - Lower your FPS so buffer doesn't fill or buy a different camera; 5 pages of 'I bought a camera with two different card slots that really annoys me; how silly am I !

I’m going to ignore your posts now because I am repeating myself since I’ve answered this already.

Your comments don’t help but reads like an insult and do not forward the topic at all.

I’m going to ignore your posts now because I am repeating myself since I’ve answered this already.

Your comments don’t help but reads like an insult and do not forward the topic at all.
Raymond. Would u wait for the 5d mk5 to see if it will have same card slot? If it doesn't would u then jump ship?

Raymond. Would u wait for the 5d mk5 to see if it will have same card slot? If it doesn't would u then jump ship?

At that point I might be shooting full Sony by then! I was going to get the X-H1 for fun but the A7III is tempting but again....silly slow card 2 slot...but that’s fine as it would be a “toy” and travel camera.

At that point I might be shooting full Sony by then! I was going to get the X-H1 for fun but the A7III is tempting but again....silly slow card 2 slot...but that’s fine as it would be a “toy” and travel camera.
I think there are two things to consider(possibly 3) when shooting action and getting the moment from my experience so here me out

1. Buffer capacity(this is how much the camera's RAM/CPU can capture shots in its internal memory before saying(nope cant take anymore)
2. Storage speed(This is related to how fast you can get the images from the ram/cpu into the storage, uhs-11,cf etc etc)
3. Frame rate(self explanatory but if point 1 can only hold 25 shots yet your camera can shoot 25fps, your buffer is filled in a second and doesnt matter if your writing to a ssd mk4 type interface of a floppy disk)

Point being, for your issue in the confetti shot scenario, The 5d4 is lack on all 3 fronts and that the UHS-1 Vs UHS-2 is a smaller issue for you in the grand scheme of things.

This is why i reckon the A9 would suit your needs well because it does 1 and 3 exceptional making the issue with one slot being recorded at only uhs-1 not a massive deal as you will find it difficult to fill the buffer capacity(241 shots i believe) and you will nail the shot fine at 20fps, or even 10fps(giving u more buffer time).

The D850 has issues too despite nailing my 2nd point.

what is that? The buffer capacity. It is only 51 shots when shooting at its maximum detail(https://photographylife.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-nikon-d850)

So my point is that have dual CF or whatever is not the be all end all. You need the write mix of the 3 points i have highlighted

Ohhhh God - you might only like 98% of the Sony then we will have 10 pages of you whinging about the camera YOU bought!

When I buy a tool for my profession I make sure it does what I want - if it does 99% of it well but there is a 1% compromise in an area that I knew about when I bought it I don't complain!

Last edited:
I think there are two things to consider(possibly 3) when shooting action and getting the moment from my experience so here me out

1. Buffer capacity(this is how much the camera's RAM/CPU can capture shots in its internal memory before saying(nope cant take anymore)
2. Storage speed(This is related to how fast you can get the images from the ram/cpu into the storage, uhs-11,cf etc etc)
3. Frame rate(self explanatory but if point 1 can only hold 25 shots yet your camera can shoot 25fps, your buffer is filled in a second and doesnt matter if your writing to a ssd mk4 type interface of a floppy disk)

Point being, for your issue in the confetti shot scenario, The 5d4 is lack on all 3 fronts and that the UHS-1 Vs UHS-2 is a smaller issue for you in the grand scheme of things.

This is why i reckon the A9 would suit your needs well because it does 1 and 3 exceptional making the issue with one slot being recorded at only uhs-1 not a massive deal as you will find it difficult to fill the buffer capacity(241 shots i believe) and you will nail the shot fine at 20fps, or even 10fps(giving u more buffer time).

The D850 has issues too despite nailing my 2nd point.

what is that? The buffer capacity. It is only 51 shots when shooting at its maximum detail(https://photographylife.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-nikon-d850)

So my point is that have dual CF or whatever is not the be all end all. You need the write mix of the 3 points i have highlighted

I have noted this earlier in the thread, and as stated before, 1 problem at a time….the obvious one now is the card slots. It seems the logical solution.

Ohhhh God - you might only like 98% of the Sony then we will have 10 pages of you whinging about the camera YOU bought!

Just so we are clear. You are not funny. You offer nothing in this thread.

I have noted this earlier in the thread, and as stated before, 1 problem at a time….the obvious one now is the card slots. It seems the logical solution.

Just so we are clear. You are not funny. You offer nothing in this thread.

Maybe not .............but at least I'm logical :)

Buy a camera that does what YOU want; there does that help? (hint - it's called being logical and is the opposite of buying a camera that doesn't do what you want; which is what you have apparently done).

The other option is send your 5D Mk4 back to Canon and tell them how much you need the dual card slot and see what they say? (think we know that answer!)

Post 155 and everybody has said:
(1) Either you change what you do or
(2) Change your camera so it does what you want it to do or
(3) Live with the 1% compromise.

You won't accept this advice though! Let me tell you straight; the tooth fairy isn't going to pay you a visit overnight and swap out that card slot in your camera so MAKE A DECISION MAN - there are only three options so it isn't difficult!

(No wonder you have spent 22K on lenses!)

Last edited:

Buy a camera that does what YOU want; there does that help? (hint - it's called being logical and is the opposite of buying a camera that doesn't do what you want).

The other option is send your 5D Mk4 back to Canon and tell them how much you need the dual card slot and see what they say? (think we know that answer!)

I have asked like 3 times.

What is logical?

Sell £22k of gear and start again with Nikon? And come back and moan about Nikon?

Spend £6k on 2 x 1Dx (when I have stated I do not want the extra weight)

Or

Raising awareness of this stupidity of the decision of this slower card slot and want Canon to fix this what is now old tech.

Is it unreasonable to ask for 2 card slots to be the same?

Don't tell me "shoot slower" that is avoiding the question, like you have done twice already. Is it unreasonable to ask for 2 card slots to be the same? Is it ?

Is it?

Is it?

(Going all Sony A9 isn't the answer, my gripe is not about A9's ability, but they still put a lower card slot in, I have a problem with the decision, the card slot is just a result of that decision, the A9 may well can shoot more before it hits the wall, but it does not remove the fact that one of the slots is slower)

Instead of keep saying the words flaw and logical, pick one of the above.

The truth is you don't and can't answer that because you know the right answer, if you were in my shoes, is to do what I am doing.

Don't think of it as in your shoes, because I am not in your shoes. Answer the question in mine.

Stop avoiding the question and answer as asked. Please.

I want all manufacturers to do this and it can only benefit everyone. It baffles me why you are trying to fight me on this, it's like you have shares in them.

Last edited:
I have asked like 3 times.

What is logical?

Sell £22k of gear and start again with Nikon? And come back and moan about Nikon?

Spend £6k on 2 x 1Dx (when I have stated I do not want the extra weight)

Or

Raising awareness of this stupidity of the decision of this slower card slot and want Canon to fix this what is now old tech.

Is it unreasonable to ask for 2 card slots to be the same?

Don't tell me "shoot slower" that is avoiding the question, like you have done twice already. Is it unreasonable to ask for 2 card slots to be the same? Is it ?

Is it?

Is it?

(Going all Sony A9 isn't the answer, my gripe is not about A9's ability, but they still put a lower card slot in, I have a problem with the decision, the card slot is just a result of that decision, the A9 may well can shoot more before it hits the wall, but it does not remove the fact that one of the slots is slower)

Instead of keep saying the words flaw and logical, pick one of the above.

The truth is you don't and can't answer that because you know the right answer, if you were in my shoes, is to do what I am doing.

Don't think of it as in your shoes, because I am not in your shoes. Answer the question in mine.

Stop avoiding the question and answer as asked. Please.

Good God Raymond - yes the answer is simple!

(1) Canon are NOT and will NOT update the card slot in the camera you have bought!

(2) Will they do it differently on the next generation - MY crystal ball is hazy! Not one person can answer that for you so no point asking.

(3) Whinging on a photography forum IS NOT putting any pressure in the slightest on Canon!

(4) Only you know whether it is worth switching brands - although on past form you have a penchant for buying cameras that don't have the features you want

(5) Selling 22K of Canon lenses is a good idea - time to clear out all that unnecessary clutter; you moan about the weight of 2 x 1D bodies; 22K of lenses must be an absolute killer to carry round!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nod
http://www.tested.com/tech/photogra...ds-are-often-limited-slow-memory-controllers/
Good God Raymond - yes the answer is simple!

(1) Canon are NOT and will NOT update the card slot in the camera you have bought!

(2) Will they do it differently on the next generation - MY crystal ball is hazy! Not one person can answer that for you so no point asking.

(3) Only you know whether it is worth switching brands - although on past form you have a penchant for buying cameras that don't have the features you want

(4) Selling 22K of Canon lenses is a good idea - time to clear out all that unnecessary clutter; you moan about the weight of 2 x 1D bodies; 22K of lenses must be an absolute killer to carry round!!

I didn't ask for your opinion of whether Canon will update the card slot on the camera that i have bought. Nor did I ask what Canon would do in the future.

One wonder what you read in my post. I mean I made it BOLD in large letters for one of the questions..

I ask you what you would do in my shoes.

And I asked you is it unreasonable for me to want 2 card slots. You didn't answer that question either. It's a simple question with a YES or NO answer.

Which as I thought, you offered no answer to that question, or any questions.

As for the weight issue, I don't walk around the church with all 10 lenses in their cases. I carry the body with 1 lens, its the "working weight" that I don't want. You know this.

You are just being difficult, please stop trolling.

Last edited:
YES, IT IS UNREASONABLE TO ASK CANON TO CHANGE THE CARD SLOTS ON YOUR CAMERA - HAPPY?

The conversation with Canon maybe something like this:

(Canon) Mr Lin, I hear you want us to change the memory card slots in your camera?
(R) Yes Please
(Canon) One simple question Mr. Lin, can I ask why you bought it in the first place?
(R) Don't get me wrong, I like 99% of the camera but this is really annoying me; I'm frightened i may fall over whilst walking backwards with the Camera(s) trying to get one shot where a piece of confetti isn't in the wrong place!
(Canon) I think we can help; here is the Canon 1Dxxxx - it does just what you are after
(R) But that's more expensive!
(Canon) Yes, it is our flagship model that does what you want, if we made your camera the same as this but at half the price of our flagship model only crazy people would buy the more expensive one and our profits would shrink.
(R) but thats not fair on ME!
(Canon) Mr Lin, please appreciate the 1Dxxx is our flagship model; it comes with very little compromise, your camera at half the price has more compromises - if we put a dual card system in it people with older cards would complain, or we could leave out the dual pixel technology to recover the costs or maybe lower the resolution?
(R) but Nikon & Sony have the dual card system
(Canon) If the other brands suit you then you are free to buy one of their cameras, but they don't have some of the other features your Camera has

..........get the drift?

Further to the above - I use a Nikon D4 and love the dual card system - I have a load of CF cards (from the D3 and D2 I owned/still own) that are slower than the XQD but I write RAW to them both. At the end of the day I check my CF cards have worked and keep them if I'm on holiday, i then erase the XQD card, load the camera with another CF card and do the same the next day, so whilst you think the dual card system is bad I think it is good so why should Canon change; I think they are doing it right for the level of Camera you have chosen.

Last edited:
Back