The Staggering Amount of Data Facebook Messenger Collects about you.

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
When Apple unveiled iOS 14 at WWDC 2020, the company announced a new privacy tool. The new app privacy labels would inform iPhone and iPad users about the personal data an app collects. Unsurprisingly, this infuriated companies that make a living off your data when the feature was finally released towards the end of last year. Facebook came up with a hypocritical attack against Apple, taking full-page ads in print newspapers. It accused Apple of endangering small businesses and putting at risk the free internet. Organizations like the EFF blasted Facebook’s attitude towards a feature meant only to inform and seek consent from users. As Apple explained, any app developer can still track users and collect data. The privacy labels do not put a stop to any of that. They force companies like Facebook to disclose everything they collect. Even Facebook’s employees complained about Facebook’s campaign.

The image below comes from 9to5Mac and shows the privacy labels of several chat apps you might have on your phone, including Signal, iMessage, WhatsApp, and Facebook Messenger, as seen below.

IMG_0094.JPG

Unreadable on a computer screen... just a blur...

Unreadable on a computer screen... just a blur...

.... Perhaps what Ricardo posted is the info they have on him and he doesn't want anyone to know about it. :D

Never used it and never will. This is exactly the reason why . . .

Google is as bad.

Farcebook, Gargle etc., all Big Brother and don't get me started on Alexa!

Reactions: Sky
What does Apple collect? I don't know. Are they any better?

Why is it a problem if organisations you interface with online, and elsewhere, know 'data' about you?

You need to watch the social dilemma . An eye opener !

You need to watch the social dilemma . An eye opener !

Here you go, the trailer :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaaC57tcci0

Which comes first, the chicken or the egg? Social media or human behaviour?

I think that social media merely reflects human behaviour, warts and all.

Meanwhile I shall continue to enjoy Facebook but particularly Instagram. Twatter no thankyou.

Good on Apple for highlighting tracking information apps may be collecting. Whilst many will be aware that there would be some tracking going on, they may be surprised at the amount of information some collect. As I said, well done. :)

Now as for Apple themselves, it would interesting to know how much information they have on the individual. Being that they are in total control of the devices they produce, hardware, OS and a the apps they themselves produce as part of, or integrated into the OS, (and may not removable by the user) they could potentially monitor all information going in and out of a device.

They could know where the user of the device is down to a few feet. They will know more about the purchaser of their device more accurately than most apps, even with agreement to terms and conditions for using an app as to what a company can collect using their app, as they will know the name, address, phone number and possibly the financial status of the purchasers of their products. They themselves have an app/OS that could potentially listen to their users the whole time a compatible device is on.

Not being an Apple user, and more experience of specific apps Apple install by default, they may be other apps that collect different types of information. The benefit of having an OS, and apps, closely integrated, is that the OS and apps are exchanging data to run smoothly, the downside could be that Apple has potentially access to any data on a device they produce.

Now that is only a bit of thinking of a worse case scenario and a bit of fun, and I have no idea what information Apple do or do not collect about the users of their devices. And is not intended as some kind of conspiracy theory, as we can see with what is happening in the US tonight what extremes conspiracy theories can take people. :oops: :$ But I wouldn't be thinking Apple are whiter than white when it comes to collecting data. ;)

facebook bought wotsapp just so they could gather all the data you think is secret and encrpted
boy what they are going to get from my photos to my wife

It's not just the big boys that collect and sell data.
There's a difference between cookies and the kind of data that Facebook collect. Cookies are stored by your browser on your computer and so TP does not actually have the data to pass on, your browser is passing it on and you get to reject cookies, delete them or use private browsing mode which will delete cookies when you exit the browser. Facebook through the phone app actually collects data off your phone/tablet which is not accessible via a web browser, this is why a number of features such as messenger are not available through the web browser, same with WhatsApp, you have to use an App on a phone which allows them to then mine the device for much more data.

I'll ask my question again :

Why is it a problem if organisations you interface with online, and elsewhere, know 'data' about you?

What harm does it do?

What harm do they do to you with such information?

Will someone please care to explain - Thanks :)

I agree. People think this is new, but they forget bout every other company they interact with.

When you register for warranties
Credit check agencies (like experian)
Local councils and trash collection.
Banks
You name it. . .

What harm does it do?

There is a not insignificant risk that facebook will be hacked, your data stolen and used to defraud you by identity theft.

The other notable "harm" which actually happened is when the data is used to influence the way people vote in elections, I guess if you like the way the referendum or vote goes then that is not a problem. However there is a moral issue that people should be presented with the facts rather than misinformation and this data is used to reinforce people's prejudices rather than exposing them to a broad range of balanced opinion.

If you think not using Facebook stops people knowing all about you you're wrong.

Just being online is enough.

Don't sweat it, it's not called the information age for nothing you know.

i'm waiting for facebook to remove the encryption so it can read messages in wotsapp like it allready does in facebook messanger

What harm does it do?

It’s a personal thing I guess. If you don’t mind your address, email address and phone number (for example) being sold to businesses across the globe that’s fine. Others may value their privacy more.
Are you willing to share that personal information here? If not why not?

It’s a personal thing I guess. If you don’t mind your address, email address and phone number (for example) being sold to businesses across the globe that’s fine. Others may value their privacy more.
Are you willing to share that personal information here? If not why not?
It can go beyond your personal details - WhatsApp, Facebook have access to your address book, know who your contacts are, tracks what you view on the internet (ever been amazed at the precision of targeted ads).

This makes you vulnerable to be influenced by the kinds of pages that may be presented on bacefook, Google etc. This could also be a tool of government to monitor you (as China does already). You could be vulnerable to blackmail.

It can go beyond your personal details - WhatsApp, Facebook have access to your address book, know who your contacts are, tracks what you view on the internet (ever been amazed at the precision of targeted ads).

This makes you vulnerable to be influenced by the kinds of pages that may be presented on bacefook, Google etc. This could also be a tool of government to monitor you (as China does already). You could be vulnerable to blackmail.

Indeed, but for simplicity I wanted to give Robin an easy thing to consider.

i gave up on dodging the data grabbers years ago

What harm does it do?
They know exactly what to put in front of you that you will believe.
That is very powerful, and is used to change peoples votes.

Perhaps we should all get new Huawei phones ... no Google facebook et al....

Which is why Trump is very angry at the moment. Because he'd paid a lot of money for votes where they'd promised he'd win. But he's made so many enemies, that it was not enough this time round.

What harm does it do?

On a mundane level it may affect your chances of getting insurance when allied with your health data which the U.K. Government has sold.

They know exactly what to put in front of you that you will believe.
That is very powerful, and is used to change peoples votes.

..... Thanks for your reply - Appreciated.

In my case I have always voted Conservative and will continue to do so. I take everything online put under my nose with a pinch of salt (btw, not cocaine!).

On a mundane level it may affect your chances of getting insurance when allied with your health data which the U.K. Government has sold.

UK government does not sell personal data.

UK government does not sell personal data.
Oh yes they do

The Electoral Register is sold to seemingly anyone with cash!

Not necessarily about apps, or websites, collecting information about the individual, but even if you stay away from the Internet, data is out there about you affecting your life. The Electoral Register is sold to seemingly anyone with cash!

That is one of the reasons I have not and will not be subscribing to them, Nor will I be involved with an organisation that does not do a great deal with deleting rally offensive images or text involving children.

..... Thanks for your reply - Appreciated.

In my case I have always voted Conservative and will continue to do so. I take everything online put under my nose with a pinch of salt (btw, not cocaine!).
Great. But so many people believe these things that it affects referendums and elections affecting us all. So when the US increases it's pollution because big money backed a campaign to spread mis-information on climate change, this affects the world.

When you search on Google, if you are doing it as 'you', you will be fed a set of links that is tailored to you. Try a Google search on another machine (not one of yours) and see how the results vary.

So someone like Robin will probably be fed links that suit a lifelong Tory, and is unlikely to find contrary views in search results. It's like buying the Telegraph, but not realising that it is very biased towards the right.

If this isn't resolved, it doesn't bode well for freedom of thought and critical thinking.

Back