The TP "Official" guide to sports stadiums

Anyone been to Murrayfield or Stade de France? I'm at those for the 6-Nations shortly. Ta.

Tobers, I am happy to oblige. I've not been there since RWC07, but i wouldn't think much has changed!

Parking
Not a chance! The SRU have one of the most comprehensive travel plans in the world! Since the back pitches at Murrayfield were dug up, they now "encourage" everyone to use Public Transport.

Thankfully, this isn't too tricky. If you're coming from the City Centre, you can get any number of buses out to directly outside the stadium. They are "exact change only" so don't try and pay with a £5 note, you'll get a filthy look from the driver.

If you're coming direct from the airport, the "airport link flyer" goes right past the stadium too...just ask the driver.

After the game is a very different matter. The roads in the vicinity are closed, and you'll have no buses, no taxis and a 67000 fans all trying to get away from there and back to Princes Street. Good Luck is all I can say, and dont make the mistake I did of booking a flight that leaves 3hrs after the final whistle!

Lighting
Good, I was getting 1/640 @ f/2.8 and ISO1000 to ISO1250. When I was there, there were no LED adverts, but I think there might be now.

Facilities
Now, bear in mind the RWC was different...and the only other game I went to was Edinburgh v Newport-Gwent Dragons.

Food, was over-priced and half of it wasnt free or just not given to photographers, you had to be in the "media lounge" upstairs with the Eddie Butler and Brian Moore brigade. At Edinburgh games, there were some biscuits...and that was it. Wi-Fi at the RWC was provided by Orange, there wasnt anything at Edinburgh, however all networks were very good.

For Edinburgh, the photographers room was a small room with a loo, at one end of the west stand. (SW corner), conversely, with the RWC (and if i remember correctly - Scotland games) the photographers room was next to the dressing rooms in the West Stand. Signposted!

The larger of the two rooms was very well laid out with tables and power.

Shooting Locations
Unsure of Scotland games, but RWC we had numbered seats which were assigned. Edinburgh was "anywhere you like". You're a good distance away from the stands, so no complaints (at least you cant here them). The try-lines do have quite a large dead-ball zone...so a 400 is a must!

Above all, enjoy the day in Edinburgh, it's always a good laugh after the game in Princes Street, remember, for a long time drinking has not been allowed in Scottish sports stadiums (though there's a lot of hip flasks in sporrans).

Last edited:
@Tobers and @james

The room they've been using even for the Heineken Cup final last May was the box room in the South West corner. There's drinking in the stadium now as I found out during the Edinburgh v Ulster game in October.

Led advertising hoardings are all around the ground now. In May there was just the usual normal hoardings.

Above all, enjoy the day in Edinburgh, it's always a good laugh after the game in Princes Street, remember, for a long time drinking has not been allowed in Scottish sports stadiums (though there's a lot of hip flasks in sporrans).

You're allowed to drink at Rugby matches I think-it's just football you can't drink at:

Hampden Park-Scotland's national Stadium and Queen's Park FC.

Parking
No chance for 'big games', the car park will be for officials only really. Parking around the area is a bit hellish as well, so allow a lot of time. However, loads of buses pass by both ends of the ground and there is a train station a 5 minute walk away.

For Queen's Park matches you can park in the big main car park at the stadium

Facilities
There is a 'media centre', with tea, coffee, sandwiches and pies usually, with plenty of space. Power sockets are available around the room. WIFI is available, but it is terrible(BT provide it). Can get a decent 3G signal in the ground, and Vodafone have a mast right beside the ground.

Lighting
Pretty good when they put the full lot on, although they have been known to only put half of them on at times. Can shoot at ISO 1600-2500 @F2.8 and 1/640-800. Behind the goals don't have as good converage as the rest of the ground.

You can go anywhere you want really. Plenty of room around the park, with a pretty big track around the pitch so the crowd aren't an issue. A lot try to crowd round the corners oddly, not to sure myself of the logic with that because the ad boards aren't too high. The internationals have a tendancy to have LED's used as well.

@Tobers and @james

The room they've been using even for the Heineken Cup final last May was the box room in the South West corner. There's drinking in the stadium now as I found out during the Edinburgh v Ulster game in October.

Led advertising hoardings are all around the ground now. In May there was just the usual normal hoardings.

Oooh, drinking finally!! That must've been fun for you Ken, that room was tiny...and with the HC final too!

This is great! well done everyone,
I'll try and do some for Wembley/Chelsea/Fulham/Spurs tonight when I have time.
And agree... Arsenal facilies are amazing"!

Has anyone been to Eastlands/City of Manchester stadium? Am there this evening! Expecting good things from my council tax money... :LOL:

Has anyone been to Eastlands/City of Manchester stadium? Am there this evening! Expecting good things from my council tax money... :LOL:

So long ago (June 2004 England v Iceland) I cant remember much bar all the elastic bands being shot at the phtographers.. It was an England match and they used laccy bands to attach coloured cards to the seats for the st george display.. by the time the game had ended there where thousands of em around the togs feet..

Parking
Free parking (show press card) either in or just beyond the tennis courts (entrance off Alan Turing Way A6010). Cross the walkway and follow stadium to the right. Press access is via the East stand.Sign in and use the lift to -2 floor.

Facilities
Look for Roses room where you get well looked after. Plenty of food & drink and everyone leaves a couple of quid tip tip (y)
Leave your kit outside or in the wireroom next door. I think there is free wifi but I've never used it.

Lighting
Good 1/640 f2.8 ISO1600

You cannot pass the tunnel area within 30mins of KO and if you try security will turn you away or direct you round via the stands. A lot of photographers sit on the East side just as you enter pitchside. You can also sit at the North Stand (away end) and West Stand but not behind the goal at the South Stand. Another point is the track drops away from the pitch so if you sit on a foldaway tri leg stool becareful.If your lucky you may find a spare stool the stewards are not using.

Last edited:
Oooh, drinking finally!! That must've been fun for you Ken, that room was tiny...and with the HC final too!

Don't drink so it didn't really bother me :) There was about 60 photographers trying to squeeze in the room so they created an overflow in the tunnel area between the south and west stand. Our communications meeting had to be held at the side of the pitch so everyone could hear what was being said.

Facilities
Look for Roses room where you get well looked after. Plenty of food & drink and everyone leaves a couple of quid tip tip (y)
Leave your kit outside or in the wireroom next door. I think there is free wifi but I've never used it.

I love Rose, I want her for a Grandma :D Hadn't sat down and I had a cup of soup and tea in front of me! Even came round the pitch before kick off handing out team sheets.. a truly lovely lady :)

Anyone shot at the DW (JJB) will be there for a few Superleague games next month

Will have a look Gary, cheers. should be doing crusaders on the 5th, Hull on the 12th and Catalan Dragons on the 26th. If no one else has shot there i'll write one up.

Dont suppose you've shot at Warrington Wolves have you?

I'll hopefully get a Premier League game there before then (Wigan's next home game is 30th Jan) so I'll let you know if I do! :)

Parking
Parking available on request to press in a DHL warehouse carpark within a minutes walk of the ground.

Lighting
Only done 1 night game and was f2.8 ISO 1600 1/400

Facilities
Sign in at stewards entrance and collect programme/team sheet and bib. Head upstairs (level 1) to press room. Sandwiches and drinks provided. Not sure about WIFI I used dongle and wired from car afterwards whilst waiting for traffic to disperse.

Parking
Parking available on request in 1 off stadiums official carparks, Not sure which one it was named (as in A,B or C etc) Very very close to ground.

Lighting
Not sure, closest to night I got was 8pm in July.

Facilities
Collect pass from ticket window and head to stewards entrance and collect bib. Head under stand to press room. In press room programme/team sheet and Sandwiches and drinks provided. There is a mountain of Pies (naturally at Wigan), It really was like a ferrero Rocher pyramid of pies. Needless to say they soon go once reporters get in there. Not sure about WIFI I used dongle and wired from car afterwards whilst waiting for traffic to disperse.

You're allowed to drink at Rugby matches I think-it's just football you can't drink at:

Since some of you are obviously problem drinkers ;), just to clarify the Scottish laws:

The current designations state that FIFA, UEFA and Scottish association professional football matches played at the grounds of clubs in the Scottish Premier League, Scottish Football League, Highland League and at Murrayfield will be subject to alcohol controls.

The controls do not apply to a non-designated event at a designated ground. Events such as concerts, American football, rugby league matches, rugby union club matches are not and never have been designated events.

In June 2007 the Scottish Government de-designated Murrayfield Stadium and other stadia in respect of international men's rugby matches.

Since some of you are obviously problem drinkers ;), just to clarify the Scottish laws:

The current designations state that FIFA, UEFA and Scottish association professional football matches played at the grounds of clubs in the Scottish Premier League, Scottish Football League, Highland League and at Murrayfield will be subject to alcohol controls.

The controls do not apply to a non-designated event at a designated ground. Events such as concerts, American football, rugby league matches, rugby union club matches are not and never have been designated events.

In June 2007 the Scottish Government de-designated Murrayfield Stadium and other stadia in respect of international men's rugby matches.

I'd never drink and tog, however it's always nice to know whether or not the fans will have been drinking all day before you get there!! I must admit, that I thought they'd "de-designated" Murrayfield only for the SCO v NZ world cup game in 2007...which is why I was instructed to take photos of people with pints!

I'd never drink and tog, however it's always nice to know whether or not the fans will have been drinking all day before you get there!! I must admit, that I thought they'd "de-designated" Murrayfield only for the SCO v NZ world cup game in 2007...which is why I was instructed to take photos of people with pints!

I'm the same, never drink before I tog.

The rugby crowds won't really cause bother, and they are pretty far back at Murrayfield, so it's no problem.

You will normally see the people sitting at the front with several pints sitting on the wall in front of them.

I'd hate to do football matches in Scotland if the crowd have been drinking tbh, it's bad enough when they aren't!

Peterborough Utd - London Rd

Parking

When I went I parked in one the numerous public car parks along the ring rd, was £3. There is a small car park outside the stadium, seemed to be for club coaches and players motors from what I could tell.

Lighting

Pretty good. I was shooting at 320 f2.8 at 800 in December, and got good results.

Facilities

Sign in at the club shop, show your pass and in you go, nice and easy! There is a 'media' room in the main stand, didnt use it however, just sent from pitchside. I was using 02 so no idea of any WIFI at the ground.

You can go behind either goal. You are very close to the fans (a very large and noisy bunch from Middlesboro on my last visit).

Dagenham and Redridge FC - Victoria Rd

Parking

Non existant at the ground itself. There is street parking, but be careful as a lot of streets are permit only. I found some about 5 mins walk away despite only getting to the ground at 2.40pm!! (dont ask lol)

Lighting

Actually not bad for a Div 2 ground. Was shooting 320 f2.8 at 1600. Steer clear of the corners though!! Goalmouths are ok.

Facilities

Basic, in a word. Grab your pass from the club shop (read shed) and through the go. No media room, everything has to be done pitchside. You get a cup of tea at half time if you ask nicely!

You can go at either end or along the seated main stand.

Dagenham and Redridge FC - Victoria Rd

Confused.. Been to Daggers quite a few times.. there was a large car park every time i went.. and food drink upstairs for media at half time.. although only took advantage once...

Confused.. Been to Daggers quite a few times.. there was a large car park every time i went.. and food drink upstairs for media at half time.. although only took advantage once...

The occasion I went there the residential road down to that car park was blocked off, also I was told no media room (although the steward wasnt helpful in general!) If there is a media room id rather have known, it was freezing when I was there!

I think like most club car parks that are part of the ground.. its no traffic after 2pm.. so if yer not in then no way of getting in.. Dave Simpson at dagenham is probably one of the best and he looks after you.. He introduced me to dslr when i was down there with a digital.. top bloke..

Do we have Blackburn Rovers/Ewood Park experience amongst us? Am there tomorrow for the Carling Cup semi :)

Do we have Blackburn Rovers/Ewood Park experience amongst us? Am there tomorrow for the Carling Cup semi :)

cost ya a fiver to park .. had to give up my press card for a bib and you get it back when give bib back... nice butties and drinks in press room.. nice bright arena..... sit behind goals and if you want to change ends walk sown the side opposite dugouts or you wont be able to pass... pickup pass from office then enter ground in corner.. they will show you... press room is under stand ya gotta make ya way through fans...

Im at Vicarage road tonight for the Saracens v Toulon game. Its on Sky Sports, does anyone know about the rules for moving up/down the touchline during play?

Thanks Kieran, but i was referring more to moving up and down the touchline during play, whilst the game was being broadcast live. I'm not sure that any sponsor or SKY TV would be to happy with togs moving in front of advertising boards. I will probably stay in the 1 spot each half, but should i feel inclined to take a little wander, want to know if i will get a slapped wrist or not

Thanks Kieran, but i was referring more to moving up and down the touchline during play, whilst the game was being broadcast live. I'm not sure that any sponsor or SKY TV would be to happy with togs moving in front of advertising boards. I will probably stay in the 1 spot each half, but should i feel inclined to take a little wander, want to know if i will get a slapped wrist or not

If it's a live sky game, you'll be behind the hoardings or in front of some selected ones in my experience. No moving, no breathing, no ugly togs.

Seriously, there's a more relaxed atmosphere at Belmarsh.

Back