The TP "Official" guide to sports stadiums

lol, thanks James. At least i know what to look forward too now! ;)

What you have to bear in mind is the large sums of money that go from Sky to ERC generally tend to dictate conditions for photographers...got to keep the big money happy.

You never know, it's an Amlin Cup rather than Heineken Cup, so they may be a bit more relaxed.

Confused.. Been to Daggers quite a few times.. there was a large car park every time i went.. and food drink upstairs for media at half time.. although only took advantage once...

Same for me, only I ALWAYS eat the food! :p

Parking
Available free to media - Turn right at McDonalds, then it's on the left just after the red building. Didn't even flash my pass!

Lighting Levels
Comfortable shooting at 1/640, f2.8 ISO2500.

LED boards to two lengths of pitch (maybe 3.. but only partially) but no cast noticable

Food and Facilities
Photographers wire room has a lovely lady helper, who brings supplies including sandwich triangles - crusts removed - and tea and coffee.

Plenty of power sockets around the room, along with decent work top space.

WiFi provided by The Cloud. Could login using my O2 mobile broadband number which I'd put a days credit on, which was nice. Very fast!

Locations/Shooting Spots
Shooting from both ends of the pitch, behind advertising boards, but separated from crowd by another wall.

Didn't see anyone along the touchlines so can't confirm on that one!

you can shoot along the touchline opposite the dugout at Ewood ;)

I did two rovers games at end of last season.. . both games was end only..

trouble is it changes.. I did burnley "turf moor" a month ago and that was ends only.. yet on prevous occasions I ahve been you could use sides... At all grounds I now find it best to ask on every single visit.. learnt from my mistakes :(

If it's a live sky game, you'll be behind the hoardings or in front of some selected ones in my experience. No moving, no breathing, no ugly togs.

Seriously, there's a more relaxed atmosphere at Belmarsh.

For the Heineken Cup games you're told not to sit in front or have your lenses blocking any part of the hoardings in Thomond Park, RDS and Ravenhill. I'm in Ravenhill tonight for my first game under lights there. Last time we were restricted staying in between the first 3 hoardings in the corners. Bring on the rain tonight!

Do they still have that stupid health & safety pic of "how not to sit" in the wireroom?

Not sure i'm only going off when ive been stupid enough to part with my hard earned to watch them :bonk: :bang:

Parking
Free car parking on production of press card. Cant remember the carpark letter/number but if approching stadium from M1 continue along keeping stadium on your left hand side. Turn left at the roundabout again keeping stadium on your left. Pass the turning into stadium and continue to next large carpark.From the carpark head back towards the stadium (short walk) and look for door marked Media (cant miss it).

Facilities
Sign in at media centre and receive your bib. They'll then direct you to wireroom which is through media room out exit door under stand. Turn right and continue to bottom were stewards gather. Out of stand to pitchside and look for tunnel under away end near corner on your right.Go under the stand and turn right, wireroom is on left oppersite to police room. May be a bit cramped in there but leave your gear and return to media room for food and drink.

Lighting
Dissapointing for this type of stadium. I usually shoot about 1/640 @f2.8 ISO2000.

Behind either goal only. Cant remember any wifi available. Dont be in a hurry to leave at the end as traffic out of carpark is bad especially on derby days.

Last edited:
one last appeal...anyone been to stoke city (britannia stadium)?

sorry.. went a few times many yrs ago and cant remember too much... I know the wardens are about while the match is on and always get loads of tickets for the cars on grass verges so make sure yer in car park..

I did the conference playoff finals for two yrs 5 or 6 yrs ago..

Parking

There is a car park behind the ground but i've never used it - I tend to park at the office in the town centre and walk in. The stewards in the car park keep the cars back for a while after the game until the crowds have gone. There is plenty of street parking available around the ground if you get there early enough - just watch though as some streets have restrictions.

Lighting

Not bad but not the best. I'm normally at 500th F2.8 at ISO 2000 for a night game and even day games can be gloomy here.

Food & Facilities
You sign-in in a room opposite the James Hargreaves Stand where the car park is (with the stand behind you and it's the left side of the gym (opposite corner from the entrance to the Turf Moor gym) to pick up your bib, pass and programme. The photographers room is attached behind where you sign in. Food is Hollands pies and sometimes peas and there is always tea/coffee/orange juice.

There are plenty of power points and for the clubs free WiFi you'll need the password from the media department but they normally have it posted on the wall in the room. Team sheets come out about 2.20pm (7.15pm)

Entrance to the ground is by a silver door on the right hand corner of the James Hargreaves Stand behind the tv wagons. It has PRESS ENTRANCE on it and there is steward parked outside.

Shooting Locations

As you enter from the silver door you can shoot from behind both sides of this goal but it's just the left hand corner at the other end (not the one with the control tower) This has only changed this year due to advertising and moving the disabled fans. You have to sit on the grass and not on the pitch surround. There's no problem with shots of the managers before the game.

Parking

There are numerous car parks around the ground - we went in one 2 mins from the ground and cost £5. It seemed all streets in the area were permit holders only. There's not much point in rushing out after the game as with 75,000 fans leaving the ground (most of course are heading back down to the south of England or the airport :D) it does take a long time to clear.

Lighting

Very good. Late in the game when it had gone dark i was at about 640th F2.8 at 1000iso. They switched on the lights before the game started and this made a big differnce.

Food & Facilities

You enter the ground near the disabled entrance at the corner of the East Sand where you pick up your bib,pass and programme. Team sheets come out 2.30pm. There are lots of power sockets in the room and phone lines. The food was a dissapointment though - just 2 trays of sandwiches and Hollands pies but there was tea and coffee.

Entrance to the pitch is out the other side of the photographers room, straight on and through the disable area/ St John's Ambulance concorse. When you enter the ground the away fans are behind you.

There was free WiFi there with The Cloud along with UEFA and REUTERS but I got a quite good signal with O2 although there were a lot of complaints that pictures were taking an age to send.

Shooting Locations

You can shoot from behind both goals but it does get very crowded behind the hoardings when united are shooting towards you. There are benches provided for you with enough room for 2. There's no problem with shots of the managers in front of the dug outs before the game but it does get a bit packed there.

Parking
Well, it's in London, so there isnt any...the nearby streets are strongly enforced by traffic wardens and the police.

Your best bet is to use the tube, either parking out at Upminster (if you're going back towards the M25 and then on) or getting the train the whole way (your choice!)

However, the tube is not without its issues...everyone else in the world uses the tube and tries to get away after the game. I've been going to West Ham since I was 7 so I'm well acquainted with the long snaking queue to Upton Park tube station so I'm not a grumbler anymore...away fans are always shocked!

Lighting
Never done a floodlit game, I always seem to get Sunday lunchtime kickoffs! But I am led to believe they're similar to other prem grounds of size (ie. Villa Park, Stamford Bridge) so I would expect around ISO800 @1/640 and f/2.8.

LED adverts all the way round on 3 sides (the 3 sides you'll be facing!).

Facilities
You need to go through a bit of a rabbit run to get from the press entrance to the photographers cubby hole. However, once you get there it's large enough to cope with most games (and the associated togs) and has ample power. Food is simple sarnies, coffee and soft drinks. If you're a smoker, you might even be able to sneak a fag near the portacabins (not that i'd condone it - or would be held responsible for any consequences!)

Programmes and teamsheets are given out at the main desk when you enter.

Wi-fi was available when I was last there...however it was a bit iffy out on the pitch. Depends where you sit...

Shooting Locations
There are 2 pitch-level (and i mean you'll be looking at the players feet) pits for togs.

They're either in front of the Bobby Moore stand (the end) on one side or level with the penalty spot in front of the West Stand (and at the Trevor Brooking/Centenary/North Bank end). These will get a bit crowded so my advice would be to stake out early...and I mean EARLY! Otherwise you'll be cramped in at the end on top of someone who will not appreciate it!

In front of the dugouts is a bit of a bunfight depending on who's there.

Other than that, enjoy the match, dont forget to sing i'm forever blowing bubbles, and if you're wearing away colours etc. be prepared for some banter (some gentle, some a bit more hostile!)

Stadium:MK - MK Dons

Parking

Very easy, pull into stadium, two filter lanes, one for public one for reserved car park (stewards and press etc) didnt have to show pass just confirm my name!

Facilities

Excellent, enter through the hotel entrance, upstairs, through the bar and into the 'Enterprise Room' where there was hot and cold drinks and tasty sandwiches. Free wifi available, also was getting a good connection on 02 wifi.

Lighting

Did a Sat afternoon game, shot on 800 and 640 on f4. Pretty good light all over the pitch.

Shooting Locations

Basically you can go anywhere around the entire pitch apart from in front of the dugouts.

Last edited:
parking at reebok wont be a problem, they have a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge carpark reserved for matchday use only, cant help with the rest :LOL:

parking at reebok wont be a problem, they have a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge carpark reserved for matchday use only, cant help with the rest :LOL:

one of the longest waitis i have had to get off a car park though... goodison i did street parking... suprised at how old and run down everyhting is inside goodison though...

Just got my match booking through.. got car parking confirmed :D Just need to find it... had a look on Google and it is huge!!

one of the longest waitis i have had to get off a car park though... goodison i did street parking... suprised at how old and run down everyhting is inside goodison though...

Going to see a mate who lives 2 minutes walk away before the game, so leaving the car there.. not that he knows it yet.. :D

Anyone done Spotland at Rochdale, only need info regarding how good/bad floodlights are there, what ISO i can expect from them as im over there for the Law Cup this Wednesday night.

Done it bags of times during the day for RL so im OK with all the other stuff

Anyone done Spotland at Rochdale, only need info regarding how good/bad floodlights are there, what ISO i can expect from them as im over there for the Law Cup this Wednesday night.

Done it bags of times during the day for RL so im OK with all the other stuff

Been there a few times at night.. me and googabu did a game there a few months ago

http://women.fotopic.net/c1760824.html

iso 2500 gives you a 400 shutter at f2.8 thats down the middle at brightest

Parking

Free parking for press in car park E. 2 minutes to the stadium. VERY slow exiting after a game so don't rush your wiring!

Lighting

Not bad, 1/640, f2.8, ISO2000. Drops off sharply for dug outs. Down to 1/320!

LED advertising to one side, opposite the dug outs. No effect noticed.

Food & Facilities

Collect your ticket from the ticket collection office before you get to the club shop.

You enter through the staff entrance at door L, and are shown through some blue double doors on the right. The photographers room is a yellow door in the righthand far corner.

Inside you need to sign in, and will be given a programme, bib and your meal ticket. Your meal ticket can be exchanged for 1 hot drink, and 1 pie in the public area (which you are free to wander in to). Team sheets will be handed out the usual time before kick off.

There is wifi in there, password wasn't about though so stuck with my wireless dongle. O2 worked fine in the press room before the game.. but then decided not to work during or after the game - even in the car park. :shrug: Maybe just a one off!

Shooting Locations

Clearly labelled on your press pass, 3 sides shootable. You are allowed in front of the dug outs as per usual pre-match.

Parking

I used on street parking at nearby houses in the one way system. In front of houses is residents only, but if you can find a spot at the side of an end house it's labelled as free. Best to be there early one would presume!

Lighting

1/640, f2.8, ISO2000.

LED advertising to three sides. No effect noticed.

Food & Facilities

Collect your ticket from the press entrance along the roaded (is that a word?) side.

You then head towards the main gates, and go in the staff entrance, labelled with a wheelchair symbol. It's a little set back from the road and about 20 yards before the main gates.

The press room is through a blue door on the left.

Inside you need to sign in, and will be given a programme, bib and your meal ticket. Your meal ticket can be exchanged for 1 hot drink, and 1 pie in the public area (which you are free to wander in to). Team sheets will be handed out the usual time before kick off.

O2 worked fine in the first half, then failed in the 2nd half. The other photographers seemed to have problems throughout with Vodaphone. T-Mobile apparently worked fine.

Shooting Locations

A number of photographers dug outs dotted around the pitch, these must be used and it's best to reserve a seat with your monopod! It gets very cramped and shooting goalwards is not the easiest of things to do when you've got no where to stick your big lens!

Parking

I managed to squeeze into probably the last remaining 'Free' street parking bay in Liverpool.. only 45 seconds walk from the ground :D Get there early and you may also be blessed. Otherwise, plenty of pay parking.

I wired from my car after the game.. traffic was none existant by the time I'd finished 20 minutes after the final whistle :)

Lighting

Day game so no lighting on, except towards the end... little effect noticed.

LED boards to 3 sides but quite small so no effect.

Food & Facilities

Enter at Gate 11 (to the left of the main entrance) in the Centenary stand. The door is marked 'Photographers'

Once inside you'll be directed to sign in, where you will receive a bib and your photo pass. No match day programme given.. so if you want one, looks like you'll have to buy one! Proceed up the stairs and do a left hand U-Turn - the photographers room is through the red door marked 'Private.'

Team sheets handed out before game... but quite late as I missed one, and left the photographers room only 20 mins before kick off.

Food provided in the form of sandwiches, tea and coffee also available.

Wireless is provided.. you'll need to find the password though ;)

Shooting Locations

Behind the LED advertising boards, in front of the public area fence. Quite a narrow space but workable. Liverpool seem to enforce a no standing on the grass policy.. and was told to move 4 inches off the fake grass, and onto the pathed area whilst at the dug outs!!

There is absolutely NO wiring or editing to be done at pitchside.. remember this when picking your spot. It's a long way to go from the far end to the photographers room at half time ;) Worth leaving your laptop in the photographers room to guarantee a plug :)

Last edited:
I was given a programme when I signed in at Anfield when I was there with Burnley in September.

I was given a programme when I signed in at Anfield when I was there with Burnley in September.

A few photographers seemed to have them, but not all.. and I wasn't the last to arrive! Perhaps just a one off on either of our parts :)

Parking
Free car parking on production of press card. Cant remember the carpark letter/number but if approching stadium from M1 continue along keeping stadium on your left hand side. Turn left at the roundabout again keeping stadium on your left. Pass the turning into stadium and continue to next large carpark.From the carpark head back towards the stadium (short walk) and look for door marked Media (cant miss it).

Facilities
Sign in at media centre and receive your bib. They'll then direct you to wireroom which is through media room out exit door under stand. Turn right and continue to bottom were stewards gather. Out of stand to pitchside and look for tunnel under away end near corner on your right.Go under the stand and turn right, wireroom is on left oppersite to police room. May be a bit cramped in there but leave your gear and return to media room for food and drink.

Lighting
Dissapointing for this type of stadium. I usually shoot about 1/640 @f2.8 ISO2000.

Behind either goal only. Cant remember any wifi available. Dont be in a hurry to leave at the end as traffic out of carpark is bad especially on derby days.

No Wire Room anymore so you have to fight with the Written press and radio guys for a work station and power socket after the game.

And yes traffic really is bad, it was nose to tail even 1 hour after full time

It was about 12.30pm when I signed in and there were'nt that may togs there so wether that had something to do with it.

A few photographers seemed to have them, but not all.. and I wasn't the last to arrive! Perhaps just a one off on either of our parts :)

It was about 12.30pm when I signed in and there were'nt that may togs there so wether that had something to do with it.

Elland Road anyone?

take something to sit on that isn't more than an inch high or your sat on concrete all night. your right in front of the fans and have to sit low.. i was told in advance no car park pass so had to pay a fiver right next door to ground.. Lighting I got iso2500 f2.8 and 400 but prob could have gone 500 down center.. one of the less friendly places by all involved from high staff to stewards

take something to sit on that isn't more than an inch high or your sat on concrete all night. your right in front of the fans and have to sit low.. i was told in advance no car park pass so had to pay a fiver right next door to ground.. Lighting I got iso2500 f2.8 and 400 but prob could have gone 500 down center.. one of the less friendly places by all involved from high staff to stewards

Looks like a good night out :puke:

Blimey...they gave you a pass?!?

They given up on THIS then?

Yes.. I was equally surprised! Are the big agencies still banned?

Cheers Gary... missed that one somehow :bang: I was in another world this morning!!

Yeah, funny that isnt it!!! Mind you, from what I hear it's not the nicest location.

Phil, you there for the FA Cup?

Indeed I am :)

Parking
As far as I know, there's none. I've only ever got the tube...no way am I trying to park in Central London.

Fulham Broadway station (District Line - Wimbledon branch) is about 100m away down Fulham Road. Turn left out of the station's front entrance, and then go down the road (basically...follow the fans).

When you get to the main gates at Stamford Bridge, you'll be looking at the corner of the West Stand and Shed End. Go left around past the Matthew Harding Stand to the corner of the East and Matthew Harding. (Gate ELN/EF2). In the entrance to the pitch there's a steward, pick up your pass, programme and bib from them.

Facilities
Hmmm, not bad, wireroom is on the lower level concourse of the East stand...you'll need to pass by numerous stewards and bizarre crowd control measures.

Wire room is a windowless blue room with sandwiches and coffee. Plenty of sockets though.

Lighting
Was a day game, but lights were on at the end. Not too shabby, was getting ISO640 and 1/640 @ f/4.0 (With 1DmkII and 300+1.4x).

LED adverts all around, but dont seem to make too much difference to lighting/colour cast.

Shooting Locations
You're restricted to the West Stand touchline ONLY. Everyone will crowd along there, with the corners particularly taken up. A lot of guys are regulars there so if you sit in a GI/AI/AFP/PA/AP/EPA/Reuters "spot"...someone WILL tell you. Smaller agency guys will be wherever you can be! You're completely uncovered here too...so you may get quite wet. Also, the West lower stand seems to attract more than usual numbers of corporate seat holders.

Comments such as "would you mind awfully sitting down, my wife can't see" are commonplace between "fans".

Back