The Ultimate Car Rig Photography Thread!

Matthew finding an adapter shouldn't be too hard. A piece of tubing that sits over the bars and then screw to secure it to the pipe. Like the super clamps grip the spigot.

Nice sharp photo Martin.

Latest test.
6.4 meters. Need to work on the support system but it's getting there. Todays weather isn't helping much either.

6.4m carbon rig by Micky Photography, on Flickr

Here is a recent one that we did for a client
4.jpg

My first rig shot using my Westfield. It's only a quick edit (less than 10 mins) so i need to spend more time cloning to neaten it up

Let me know what you think, critique is always welcome

westfieldrig.jpg

I'm already using a carbon rig but at only a little over 4m there's room for upgrade. Whilst toying with which path to take I got in touch with Justin at Car Camera Rig and arranged to meet. Also took along a film guy to create some material for my blog.

The big question on the night - could the CCR assembly achieve a 1-minute rigshot of acceptable sharpness? The answer, the film & a lot of background info are all on my blog: The dynamics of nighttime automotive rigshots

If you're short of time or CBA to link off the forum, here's an unprocessed low-res JPG from the night and a clue to our conclusion is given below.

Long exposure automotive rigshot at night with lightpainting (SooC)

Yes :)

That's a really good insight Andy and thanks for sharing it with us. One thing you mentioned you were on a hill. Did you have the engine running at anytime or was the engine off and gravity doing its work?
Also to those who are viewing from pistonheads there are two ways to do the rig. 2" carbon like Andy has used and you can get long exposures just with the rig. Or use a thinner tube and tension wires to counter the bounce. The same goes with metal rigs.

That's a really good insight Andy and thanks for sharing it with us. One thing you mentioned you were on a hill. Did you have the engine running at anytime or was the engine off and gravity doing its work?
Also to those who are viewing from pistonheads there are two ways to do the rig. 2" carbon like Andy has used and you can get long exposures just with the rig. Or use a thinner tube and tension wires to counter the bounce. The same goes with metal rigs.

The only time you'd ever need to run the engine is if pushing/ rolling the car couldn't generate enough movement within the exposure time you've got available. At night that's never a problem so the engine's always off for me.

If there hadn't been a hill I would have been pushing the car. If you're shooting with some help you can push from the rear to keep out of sight. Shooting solo I tend to open the driver's window and push from there so I can reach the steering wheel/ handbrake if required.

I also posted this in the editing section but thought I would put it here for your guys too see/help me.

I am really struggling with these two rig shots from the same night. I just cannot seem to properly remove the rig from the ceiling of the car park.

Would anyone mind having a go to see how they get on?

I think in future I will set up the shot differently so the rig is less of a large size in the shot :)

Sammy

Hi everyone.
I work for a glass lifting company and we stock vacuum suction mounts manufactured by "Woods Powrgrip".
I am trying to find a new market for these products. Have any of you used these suction mounts when creating your rigs?

Hello Alex, I am in the process of assembling my rig and (as I mentioned to you last week) I am using your Woods cups. I'll be happy to post pics and details when I'm ready to test it. ;)

Hi everyone. I work for a glass lifting company and we stock vacuum suction mounts manufactured by "Woods Powrgrip". I am trying to find a new market for these products. Have any of you used these suction mounts when creating your rigs?

I think the Manfrotto suction cup is the preferred device as it has standardised fittings for most photographic accessories.

On a side note, we have strict policies on advertising products, once you have identified a product of suitable use for our members, you're more than welcome to approach us to discuss an advertising package as in thread selling or soliciting sales is not permitted.

Thanks

Df

The Woods cups are from the US and have imperial threads, so 1/4" and 3/8" studs or inserts - standard for tripod heads and magic arms etc.

Hello Alex, I am in the process of assembling my rig and (as I mentioned to you last week) I am using your Woods cups. I'll be happy to post pics and details when I'm ready to test it. ;)

Hi JT7

Thanks. Have you used the Manfrotto suction cup before? If so how do they compare?

I think the Manfrotto suction cup is the preferred device as it has standardised fittings for most photographic accessories.

On a side note, we have strict policies on advertising products, once you have identified a product of suitable use for our members, you're more than welcome to approach us to discuss an advertising package as in thread selling or soliciting sales is not permitted.

Thanks

Df

Hi
I am just researching at the minute, but if you could email me at alex.mcdaid@ggrgroup.com we might be interested in advertising in the near future
Thanks

Hi JT7

Thanks. Have you used the Manfrotto suction cup before? If so how do they compare?

The Manfrottos are no way near as good, they are too hard a rubber which means they won't stick if there is a curve at all. They're also rated for a much lower capacity so the manfrotto is much more likely to let go on you

The Manfrotto cups are pretty good, strong enough for a 4m Ali boom with 2kg hanging off the end.

I am thinking of upgrading though, just for safety really. You do have issues with more sculpted cars though, as GFW said. They're cheap and work well, excellent starter cups.

The Woods cups are cheaper, that's why I went for them - mine is a budget build. They also have a weight rating that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere with the Avenger/Manfrotto jobs.

ok so i built a pikey dig rig lol

just to try things out will upgrade the parts after ive mastered the art :)

only gave it a quick test on the drive with the merc

1235073_10151980380679903_382804943_n.jpg

and the rough result pushing about 2 meters on my drive!

856789_10151980518664903_216646691_o.jpg

not sure why back of image isn't blured and the photoshop cloning is awfull i no. but i was my 1st go

Famous now is George. Some great images exhibited at focus, and sat chatting to perou

ok so i built a pikey dig rig lol

just to try things out will upgrade the parts after ive mastered the art :)

only gave it a quick test on the drive with the merc

and the rough result pushing about 2 meters on my drive!

not sure why back of image isn't blured and the photoshop cloning is awfull i no. but i was my 1st go

How long is the pole you're using? ..and what focal length?

Cheers.

that photo is taken at 3m with 11mm focal length on a crop sensor.

i have another 1.5m pole to go on that if i dare

George is using the car camera rig 6m kit i think :)

££££

Yeah, Car Camera Rig setup. Not really that expensive in reality compared to the earning potential :)

Famous now is George. Some great images exhibited at focus, and sat chatting to perou

:LOL: I wouldn't say I'm at all famous, just had some great opportunities and done the best I can with them for my career :)

Back