The Ultimate Car Rig Photography Thread!

Its just too wet to get out and try the rig, so i mounted the camera inside the car with the suction cup and double ball joint.
If this type of shot isnt supposed to be here, please remove it.

inside car, 5sec exp by dr.shutter, on Flickr

That's awesome I have this on my list of shots to do this year with my mini and my friends GTR. Were you driving? Do you think you could push the car and get the light trails straight?

That's awesome I have this on my list of shots to do this year with my mini and my friends GTR. Were you driving? Do you think you could push the car and get the light trails straight?

Hi Sammy, cheers. I was driving, I do think if you coasted or had someone outside pushing it would work way better. The roads around us have been dug up 3 times this year so are not good for this anyway. On a smooth road with you being pushed I'd say the result would be savage. It's all good Craic.
Derek

Ok, i got fed up waiting for the rain to stop to finally try out the rig. So i brought the car into the shed instead. Lots of issues, it was too dark, ended up with a 30 sec exp which was too long for first attempt, but its what i have. need to add further tensioner if going for this length again or a smoother floor to try to keep it sharp :)
Need more practice at removing rigs. More realistic setting.
Anyway, here are 3 shots,
Any and all advice is most welcome.

IMGP0490sm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

IMGP0492edv1sm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

IMGP0492edv2sm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

As long as the gates are open I think it's looks ok.

I have a rig pro for sale guys in the other for sale section.

Setup
02ed61.gif

https://photouploads.com/images/02ed61.gif

Result

18737642672_6f5b915855_b.jpg

Trying something I have never done before. Rolling cars to get the sense of movement.
My son has been pestering me for a while now so yesterday after he finished work I took these.
It is harder than I thought to get rid of the camera boom.
But I still learning Photoshop as normally try to get images without having to clone out things,
so hope fully it will get better maybe next time I'll try my tablet out (omg never used one had mine now for 2 yrs and not even been plugged in )

the first image is from the camera no editing apart the number plate to show you the camera boom the 2nd image is a first edit But as I said never done much off this stuff before
think I need some instruction as metallic paint work wow it hard
may try it on my Jag as it white so maybe less reflection also better location needed
origonal.jpg IMG_6063 hmmm.jpg IMG_6051-8bitcrop.jpg

Last edited:
Trying something I have never done before. Rolling cars to get the sense of movement.
My son has been pestering me for a while now so yesterday after he finished work I took these.
It is harder than I thought to get rid of the camera boom.
But I still learning Photoshop as normally try to get images without having to clone out things,
so hope fully it will get better maybe next time I'll try my tablet out (omg never used one had mine now for 2 yrs and not even been plugged in )

the first image is from the camera no editing apart the number plate to show you the camera boom the 2nd image is a first edit But as I said never done much off this stuff before
think I need some instruction as metallic paint work wow it hard
may try it on my Jag as it white so maybe less reflection also better location needed

hello and thanks for posting here! You'll be amazed at how with practice your shots and rig removal will quickly improve. For first efforts they are great, much better than my first rig shots ever were!

A few points to try and help...

- I'd try to avoid mounting the cups on the side windows like that, puts extra strain on the cup and the sideways pull increases the chance of a cup failing. I'd mount on the roof for a rear shot like that.

- are you shooting in RAW? what were your settings?

- when removing the rig in photoshop, if it were me, I'd select the around the car and create a new layer with what you want to keep, then you can clone and patch without worrying about damaging the car layer. Then do the opposite for when you need to remove the rig from the paintwork. Select a new layer around the sky and buildings that you want to keep, then clone away in the car paintwork to remove the reflection/shadow.

- don't worry about getting the sky right in camera during the rig shot. You can use a lower exposed static shot and drop the sky in. Or just use a donor pic of any sky. I love adding a borrowed blue sky from other shots I have taken.

- very few rig shots are actually just one shot, most are a blend of different exposures for the sky, ground, car, background.

Hope that helps,

Sammy

Cheer's Sammy for the info
Yeah I shoot in Raw was with a Canon 5dMkii it getting old now Lens used were canon 17-40 and the Samyang 14 mm I have a 7d and a Eos M but these not full frame, so ill loose bit of the length of the Lens unless extend the boom further out May be try that next time.
It the Metalic Paint were there was a lot of the reflection and the sucker were

Last edited:
it was NOT on the glass I may look like it was but I can assure you it not here a pic for the high shot I just moved one down and the other up

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Rather than the weight of the rig pushing/pulling on the cup evenly, all the force is pushing downwards, peeling the cups topside away, in the exact same motion that you use to remove the cups suction.

Glass is perfectly safe by the way.

Thanks for the link to this thread, on my rig post. How are you managing to get the daytime shots? When I tried a 2 second shot rolling with f22, it came out really bright. and that was with iso 100. i then used an nd10 and turned it down to f5.6 and it came out better but not perfect. I need some help :)

Thanks for the link to this thread, on my rig post. How are you managing to get the daytime shots? When I tried a 2 second shot rolling with f22, it came out really bright. and that was with iso 100. i then used an nd10 and turned it down to f5.6 and it came out better but not perfect. I need some help :)
I use either ND10 or ND64 coupled with a Circ-Pol and about f8-f11 for around 20-30sec depending on lighting conditions, also tend to try and rig later in the day around sunset. Hope this helps.

Hi guys, newbie to Rig Photography here!

Just recently got my Car Camera Rig and i've been out using it this past week. The Clio was my first attempt and the Fiesta was my second attempt last night. For my first couple of go's I am really happy with them however i'm looking for some tips to improve! They're not perfectly in focus but I guess practice makes perfect with this kind of thing!

One thing i'd like to know is what lens some of you are using for your rig shots?

First attempt:

Clio 182 by DanielJenkins., on Flickr
Clio 182 by DanielJenkins., on Flickr

Second attempt:

Dan andYon Shoot-8 by DanielJenkins., on Flickr
Yon's ST-1 by DanielJenkins., on Flickr

Love the stuff in this thread. I used to do track photography a while back but would love to have a go at camera rigs. What sort of price would a full setup cost?
Also, I have read there is a risk of damaging bodywork, what is the likelihood of damaging the car you are shooting?

Sweet 200SX!

Sammy, you never fail to disappoint. One of the few threads I always come back to.:cool::cool::cool:

Back