The virus. PPE. Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listen to this, please:-

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/present...tor-nhs-cant-cope-with-coronavirus-stay-home/

I heard that doctor live on LBC.

Sickening to hear what our health professionals are having to do whilst imbeciles behave in a way that degrades the efforts of some of the finest people in the country and threatens the lives and wellbeing of us all.

sadly we live in an age where masses of the population of all age groups refuse to accept discipline even when it is there for their own well being.

I'll repeat what the Dr stated but in my own words:

ALL YOU ARE BEING ASKED TO DO IS SIT ON YOUR ARSE AT HOME.

How difficult can that be unless you have third degree burns to your butt cheeks, or your partner has been spanking you too hard :naughty:

Last edited:
Where ever the virus came from all countries should of acted quicker, but china might try and help others now if they are on top on this deadly mess.
I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. If they do offer help, I doubt it will be free.

So impressed by our PM Porky Johnson, who has built a career on lies and deception, standing before the cameras and saying with a straight face “trust me if you.do as I say all this will be over in 12 weeks” (paraphrasing) :(.
Let's hope Trump White (BJ) doesn't go down the Trump route of calling it the China Virus to distract from **** ups. :rolleyes:

It says something as to how contrary, ignorant, selfish and pigheaded some people in this country can be if the usually 'anti change / anti being told what to do' French are being praised for sensibly doing what they are told to try and lessen the impact of this thing. :rolleyes:

Went into my local food shops earlier, Tesco and Heron, to see whether they had any more rice, pasta or tins back in. Tesco was the same as yesterday, empty shelves, Heron's shelves of tins were almost totally clear compared to yesterday. :( As I was walking around the store, a young lady who works there was pulling out some of the empty freezers to see if anything had fallen behind. Take advantage of the freezers being empty I suppose. ;) As I was walking up to her she stood up from behind the freezer with two packets of Pasta, :oops: :$ looked at me and said 'Do you want them?' 'Er yes thanks. That was good timing wasn't it!' :)

I went to the till and the person on the checkout shouted out 'Where do you get those!' I told her, and then the person who found the pasta shouted over in confirmation. 'Why didn't you keep them?' was the jokey reply to her. ;)

If the shelves stay empty for more than a week or so, I may have enough pasta, but nothing to put on it. :thinking: :rolleyes: :LOL:

The milk, which had been in good supply up until now, has left the shelves. :rolleyes: I have enough until next week as I only use it for breakfast. We are living in strange times. Hopefully they are looking after these food delivery drivers. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that. There's always a tension when money & politics infringe healthcare, and it's no surprise this isn't different. Every country is going to want to be the first to recover on the world stage.
Yes, not surprising, but it never stops me from feeling a little disappointed.

Though it varies with age group, across a population 40-50% of people infected with Covid 19 are likely to show no symptoms or mild symptoms suggests an article in Nature.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41...ail&utm_term=0_c9dfd39373-84063ea0b4-45085174

Very much reinforces the need for social distancing.

Good to have it confirmed - I was saying this a couple of weeks ago, based on the way it was spreading so rapidly and even infecting people who'd had no contact with known infected individuals/travellers.

This also suggests than testing - unless repeatedly performed on a very large proportion of the population - won't help much in controlling the infection. Only testing those who those who have been in contact with the sick just once is likely to miss infections.

Thought ssp etc was available?

Thought there was a mortgage break and people where going to be paid up to 85% of their wages?

Who is paying it ?
Mortgages will be added to the end of the term I know
How long do you think the government departs can afford to pay everything else
including rent for those getting rent breaks, landlords will still have to maintain/insure the properties.

I would rather see people allowed to continue working in some of these industries and the money spent on
paying them put into the NHS etc,
Those at risk should take responsibility for themselves and stay in complete isolation if they are that
concerned, like some of my neighbours who are relying on the likes of me to run errands for them, there
are plenty of offers to help or just available for a phone chat if they want company

I would rather see people allowed to continue working in some of these industries and the money spent on
Those at risk should take responsibility for themselves and stay in complete isolation if they are that
concerned, like some of my neighbours who are relying on the likes of me to run errands for them, there
are plenty of offers to help or just available for a phone chat if they want company

Everyones at risk though. Should everyone isolate?

Who is paying it ?
Mortgages will be added to the end of the term I know
How long do you think the government departs can afford to pay everything else
including rent for those getting rent breaks, landlords will still have to maintain/insure the properties.

How long do you want all these old sick people to hide away?

Everyone is at risk of catching it and some may not even know they have already had at
The at risk groups are those with health problems and the elderly as well you know or should if
you bother to read the info

How long do you want all these old sick people to hide away?

As long as the rest of us, which seems could be for the rest of the year, and just to let you know I am in the at risk group too

Everyone is at risk of catching it and some may not even know they have already had at
The at risk groups are those with health problems and the elderly as well you know or should if

When you say at risk I assume you mean liable to die? You do know people under 60 without underlying health problems are in intensive care?

Absolutely, providing that they work long hours and earn enough so as to pay sufficient contributions into the system that will cover their healthcare costs once they have contaminated each other.

Makes perfect sense to me.:rolleyes:

As it is atm here, govt, much as it is making big efforts to support the country and its population ( medically, financially etc), they are still ( stupidly imo) expecting construction work to continue although I suspect they will, through pressure from businesses, be "forced" to reconsider ( some construction employers/ees have already refused to continue with their work projects)

and just to let you know I am in the at risk group too
like myself ( due to health issues, not age)

Those at risk should take responsibility for themselves and stay in complete isolation

Absolutely, like I am doing and which I would like to think you are doing too for both your own well being and that of others, BUT…..

it seems that you are runnining errands!:thinking:

some of my neighbours who are relying on the likes of me to run errands for them,

Umm I do read the info which is why I know that well over 75% of the whole population are at risk. But maybe you don't bother to make sense and just like to throw silly remarks at people?

I do read the info which is why I know that well over 75% of the whole population are at risk.

Tbh, putting aside statistics ( regardless of source), I think it is fair to say that reallistically 100% of the world human population are at ( different levels of) risk of infection , except perhaps anyone who has taken a vacation to the moon :LOL:

Umm I do read the info which is why I know that well over 75% of the whole population are at risk. But maybe you don't bother to make sense and just like to throw silly remarks at people?
Not much use just saying at risk because as you say everyone is at risk of catching it but there are degrees of risk for the outcome of catching it though which may be stated on your medical record if you log in and look. I had occasion to contact my GP today about some medication and I now see they have added a note about COVID to my record.

BUT…..

it seems that you are runnining errands!:thinking:

I also said that there are organised groups offering it now so I won't be anymore
but that will still leave a risk of infection to those more vulnerable people.
We have one Sainsburys local here to serve the entire place no big supermarkets, which mean someone has
to go out of the area to get supplies for those that can't because of the panic buying as soon as a delivery arrives.
It seems the smaller "local" stores don't have the restrictions the larger supermarkets do

I had occasion to contact my GP today

Our GPs are doing telephone consultations only and will only make appointments for those they
feel need to see them, a good idea in my opinion

Our GPs are doing telephone consultations only and will only make appointments for those they
feel need to see them, a good idea in my opinion
My ’contact’ was online but they phoned me back. They’ve cancelled their online booking system, as has my Vet.

Our GPs are doing telephone consultations only
telephone/internet dr appointments hve been in place here for almost a week!

It is difficulty for me to understand the reasoning why some countries, notably the UK atm, are taking so long to adopt serious containment measures when they have already a high number of cases like some of their neighbouring countries who have enforced stronger measures

It is difficulty for me to understand the reasoning why some countries, notably the UK atm, are taking so long to adopt serious containment measures when they have already a high number of cases like some of their neighbouring countries who have enforced stronger measures
What would you have them do?

Maybe I misunderstand you but my surgery has been doing phone consultations for a long time. If you are actually sick and you phone they will put you onto the “duty doctor” who will decide to call an ambulance/tell you to come in/prescribe something/maybe tell you not to be so silly :) though that hasn’t happened to me , so not sure :)).

Last edited:
What would you have them do?

I think the answer to your question is already addressed in my previous post tbh but I’ll make the effort and repeat myself to try help you understand ;)
Other countries have had serious restrictions implemented for a week or longer in an attempt to slow down the spread of covid 19.
The uk has only just announced some closures etc even though they, like other countries have seen the problem escalate elsewhere and indeed have even had cases themselves.
We are in the midst of a GLOBAL pandemic as you are presumably aware ..... that’s to say that every country could potentially be infected..
What would I have them do you ask.... well some sort of uniform control implemented immediately everywhere until a solution can be found ( vaccin ) would be a better idea would it not than to have each country waiting until they are totally in the sh*t before considering containment.

Prevention is usually better than cure though I get the impression that you would prefer not to have your life disrupted by govt lockdown for a period of time, instead preferring a virus to bring it to a halt or even to en end should you fall victim.

Be assured that confinement is no fun. I am already finding it increasingly difficult like I’m sure many other people are but if it helps towards bringing this pandemic under control and reduces the chances of more mortality then it is a small and TEMPORARY sacrifice to be asked to make.

Maybe I misunderstand you but my surgery has been doing phone consultations for a long time. If you are actually sick and you phone they will put you onto the “duty doctor” who will decide to call an ambulance/tell you to come in/prescribe something/maybe tell you not to be so silly :)) though that hasn’t happened to me , so not sure :)).

We live in different countries... phone consultations aren’t the norm here but since this outbreak physical displacement to the surgeries is prohibited, instead phone and internet ( Skype or similar) contact is now in place, similary a large part of the population are working from home along with children / students continuing with studies via internet connection with their teachers. The country has mobilized itself quickly to adapt and continues to do so .

Last edited:
We live in different countries... phone consultations aren’t the norm here but since this outbreak physical displacement to the surgeries is prohibited, instead phone and internet ( Skype or similar) contact is now in place, similary a large part of the population are working from home along with children / students continuing with studies via internet connection with their teachers. The country has mobilized itself quickly to adapt and continues to do so .
Talking of different countries ... if you live in US and have health insurance then it’s likely tied to your employment, lose you job, no health care :(.

I think the answer to your question is already addressed in my previous post tbh but I’ll make the effort and repeat myself to try help you understand ;)
Other countries have had serious restrictions implemented for a week or longer in an attempt to slow down the spread of covid 19.
The uk has only just announced some closures etc even though they, like other countries have seen the problem escalate elsewhere and indeed have even had cases themselves.
We are in the midst of a GLOBAL pandemic as you are presumably aware ..... that’s to say that every country could potentially be infected..
What would I have them do you ask.... well some sort of uniform control implemented immediately everywhere until a solution can be found ( vaccin ) would be a better idea would it not than to have each country waiting until they are totally in the sh*t before considering containment.

Prevention is usually better than cure though I get the impression that you would prefer not to have your life disrupted by govt lockdown for a period of time, instead preferring a virus to bring it to a halt or even to en end should you fall victim.

Be assured that confinement is no fun. I am already finding it increasingly difficult like I’m sure many other people are but if it helps towards bringing this pandemic under control and reduces the chances of more mortality then it is a small and TEMPORARY sacrifice to be asked to make.

For info. My wife and I havd been in self imposed lockdown for nearly a fortnight, for our own reasons. I know what it's like.
Would you have preferred the govt close businesses and banned pubs, clubs etc BEFORE they had worked out any support packages?

Talking of different countries ... if you live in US and have health insurance then it’s likely tied to your employment, lose you job, no health care :(.
Yes so I believe. I live in France so like yourselves in the uk, there is govt support.
Even if it is limited, it is a lot better than nothing at all that some folk receive.
I appreciate that each country has its own cultures and systems, however in view of recent events, I wish that the egoistic ( for want of a better word) attitudes were dropped and they supported each other with agreed /shared methods of bringing this virus under control.

For info. My wife and I havd been in self imposed lockdown for nearly a fortnight, for our own reasons. I know what it's like.
Would you have preferred the govt close businesses and banned pubs, clubs etc BEFORE they had worked out any support packages?

No I wouldn’t have preferred a lockdown prior to having a support packages BUT had that decission been made in order to save lives and illness then I would have gladly accepted the decission.
When we were at your first stage of closing somepublic places, most of the present support packages were actually not in place. The govt has acted quickly and efficiently so as to offer necessary basic support during this past week as the general situation has made tighter sanctions necessary.
Prioritizing ‘support packages’ above health is ludicrous.
Yes one has to work at adapting to the situation financially and that can be done over time. Debts are not nice to have to deal with but they are not immediately life threatening ( yes long term psychology they can cause big problems !)
Wasting time deciding when to take precautions to protect ourselves from covid 19 however, is gambling with peoples lives...... something that imo i’s unacceptable.

It’s not only us British that have been acting irresponsibly (I’m thinking of the videos coming out of Chavidorm).

Australian authorities closed Bondi beach and removed hundreds of people from other popular Sydney beaches on Saturday, citing the “irresponsible behaviour” of large crowds that had gathered in clear defiance of public health warnings.

Images of a packed Bondi on Friday – when temperatures in parts of Sydney exceeded 35C – were criticised internationally as governments in Australia announced stricter regulations to encourage social distancing and restrict the spread of the coronavirus.

An effective ban on outdoor public gatherings of more than 500 people has been in place for more than a week.

Here in France, too many people have been heading to the beach for their permitted exercise breaks so the Prefectures have started putting beaches off-limits.

I'm already going stir crazy because the gyms have had to shut and I don't train weekends.
The gym staff are going to be posting videos on their facebook page for exercises to do at home, the gym owner has suggested I start with dead lifting my car. :)

Just before we left work yesterday, we were informed we have 2 weeks shutdown over Easter, that's 8 days of annual holiday used up, but the Dagenham and Bridgend engine plants are being laid off from Monday for 2 weeks, prior to the Easter shutdown.
Bridgend is closing for good in September, somehow, I can see that happening earlier.

Last edited:
It’s not only us British that have been acting irresponsibly (I’m thinking of the videos coming out of Chavidorm).

Australian authorities closed Bondi beach and removed hundreds of people from other popular Sydney beaches on Saturday, citing the “irresponsible behaviour” of large crowds that had gathered in clear defiance of public health warnings.

Images of a packed Bondi on Friday – when temperatures in parts of Sydney exceeded 35C – were criticised internationally as governments in Australia announced stricter regulations to encourage social distancing and restrict the spread of the coronavirus.

An effective ban on outdoor public gatherings of more than 500 people has been in place for more than a week.

In Forida the spring weather brought crowds out, packed like sardines and no doubt infecting each other like it is going out of fashion..............until the beaches were closed. Just like their president, they really are as thick as pig s***.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...close-florida-beaches-after-governor-n1163741

No I wouldn’t have preferred a lockdown prior to having a support packages BUT had that decission been made in order to save lives and illness then I would have gladly accepted the decission.
When we were at your first stage of closing somepublic places, most of the present support packages were actually not in place. The govt has acted quickly and efficiently so as to offer necessary basic support during this past week as the general situation has made tighter sanctions necessary.
Prioritizing ‘support packages’ above health is ludicrous.
Yes one has to work at adapting to the situation financially and that can be done over time. Debts are not nice to have to deal with but they are not immediately life threatening ( yes long term psychology they can cause big problems !)
Wasting time deciding when to take precautions to protect ourselves from covid 19 however, is gambling with peoples lives...... something that imo i’s unacceptable.
I'm wondering how you got access to the advice teams of our CSO & CMO?
I'm guessing you didn't. For some reason I tend to trust their judgement over yours. As I'm sure our PM does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back