The virus. PPE. Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be in full lockdown over the next few days I think so you'll not be able to go anywhere.
Until then, there's nothing stopping you from driving to the country and spending the day alone.
The problem is though, if another 10,000 have the same idea.
Yes as I just said to Marc that’s what I’m worried about

You want us locked with no income for 12 months. I hope for your own sake you don't get your wish come true. You know full well it is ridiculous. In all fairness these people are keeping respectable distance from each other, and if they are not too bad for them. End of story.
You've just made that first sentence up.
Your not doing yourself any favours on here.

I do think that people who go to Snowdon and crowd on the beaches and other situations where you are in close contact with people are being selfish and thoughtless but I believe that going for a quiet walk and keeping a distance from people is ok

In theory it would work but has has been clearly evident in other countries there are a surprisingly high number of people who will continue to abuse their rights and force upon themselves, along with everyone else, tighter constraints from govts.

We are going out later for a stroll along a fenland river bank, can't imagine many others being there.
So flat you can see for miles so no problem keeping a safe distance, just have to be sensible about it
Dug out a couple of flasks for hot drinks, sure there are lots of other similar places for people to exercise

In all fairness these people are keeping respectable distance from each other, and if they are not too bad for them. End of story.
But it’s not is it? you are thinking “they get the virus and drop dead, end of”, but it’s they get the virus, possibly/probably survive but pass it on to their family an neighbours and then they go to hospital and pass it on to health workers. End of a lot of other people.

We are going out later for a stroll along a fenland river bank, can't imagine many others being there.
So flat you can see for miles so no problem keeping a safe distance, just have to be sensible about it
Dug out a couple of flasks for hot drinks, sure there are lots of other similar places for people to exercise
Maybe normally but now hundreds/thousands are thinking the same, maybe they’ve never walked along your bank before but now they’ve had this brilliant idea ... . I don’t know your area but I’ve done a lot of “walking along riverbanks” (don’t ask :)) in Yorkshire and usually it’s pretty constrained by fences, crops etc and difficult to pass people without being close :(. Hope it works out for you.

Last edited:
But it’s not is it? you are thinking “they get the virus and drop dead, end of”, but it’s they get the virus, possibly/probably survive but pass it on to their family an neighbours and then they go to hospital and pass it on to health workers. End of a lot of other people.

He is either profoundly stupid or attention seeking, probably the latter, but there again?

Maybe normally but now hundreds/thousands are thinking the same, maybe they’ve never walked along your bank before but now they’ve had this brilliant idea ... . I don’t know your area but I’ve done a lot of “walking along riverbanks” (don’t ask :)) in Yorkshire and usually it’s pretty constrained by fences, crops etc and difficult to pass people without being close :(.

You really do not know the area i'm talking about, do a search and have a look before you paint me as antisocial

Why can't you just stay at home?

Here’s the thing, lots of people are forced to stay at home and they are “looking for things to do” and surprise, surprise, they all come up with the same idea of going out in the empty countryside which they never normally do, unlike a lot of people on TP. Herd immunity stupidity :( .

You really do not know the area i'm talking about, do a search and have a look before you paint me as antisocial
As I said, ”I don’t know your area”! And where did I say you were antisocial?

As I said, ”I don’t know your area”! And where did I say you were antisocial?

Fair enough, but that was the inference I took.
This is the area i'm talking about, not much of anything and bears no resemblance to the places you are describing

84%20The%20Fens,%20Cambridgeshire%20(c)%20Adrian%20Warren%20and%20Dae%20Sasitorn.0f03643af114d...jpg

You're going against all the advice to stay at home and avoid unnecessary travel....
And you call me a dick?
Enjoy your day out....

Its not a day out, its exercise which you need to stay healthy.
Good luck if you never go out for fresh air, plenty of others things injurious to your health
Big difference to going down the seaside for an ice cream
Seriously took issue with you on this, not keen on being made to look like i'm putting anyone at risk

Show me where it says stay at home in any government briefing
When someone in power tells me to stay indoors I will.

Last edited:
1" of snow and the country comes to a grinding halt, 2 sneezes in a day and t's a week off on the sick, a global pandemic and we all become Judith f*****g Chalmers, just saying.

Fair enough, but that was the inference I took.
This is the area i'm talking about, not much of anything and bears no resemblance to the places you are describing

View attachment 272693
Well, that looks pretty “constraining” to me if there were a lot of people. And are those sheep on the central bank? Sheep are another factor, having to give them a wide berth to avoid the silly buggers ending up in the river when they panic. However, I daresay you’ll be fine, hope you are and have a good day!

The problem being is that other people will be having the same thought. Avoid the places where everybody else goes and go somewhere quiet and suddenly that quiet place has become the popular crowded place. Your only saving grace is that being a workday, it won't be as busy as it may get on a weekend.

Well, that looks pretty “constraining” to me if there were a lot of people. And are those sheep on the central bank? Sheep are another factor, having to give them a wide berth to avoid the silly buggers ending up in the river when they panic. However, I daresay you’ll be fine, hope you are and have a good day!

Thank you and its not a day, just a couple of hours to keep our lungs and heart healthy
I walk these places all year round, in fact have hundreds of photos with hardly another soul in them
That was just an overview, places I go are more remote, it was just to show how empty and flat it is

The problem being is that other people will be having the same thought. Avoid the places where everybody else goes and go somewhere quiet and suddenly that quiet place has become the popular crowded place. Your only saving grace is that being a workday, it won't be as busy as it may get on a weekend.

Not going to argue, if you haven't been to this area you cannot understand what i'm talking about

Good luck if you never go out for fresh air, plenty of others things injurious to your health

I fully agree that exercise, or at least getting outdoors for a stroll plays a very important part in our health both physically and psychologically, however short term ( a couple of week or so,) having the activity seriously restricted is not going to be massively detrimental to most folk. ( think of other ailments that we get where we may be "floored" for a period of time and unable to do physical activity)

The effects of COVID 19 by contrast, …...I really don't need to explain do I ??

not keen on being made to look like i'm putting anyone at risk

Perhaps you are unable to see for yourself, but as an outsider looking in on the intended pusuits of yourself and some others, it is clear ( to me at least) that you may well put other people ( not discounting yourselves) at risk.
It's also possible that by going out you may not pose any threat whatsoever, but is it not, at least for the short term until we learn more, more respectful to our fellow human beings to avoid any chances of adding to the propogation of COVID 19

Germany has now restricted public gatherings to no ore than 2 people , at least they are getting it right.

Not going to argue, if you haven't been to this area you cannot understand what i'm talking about
National parks are closed, and our local ones when busy aren't exactly packed, where do you think all those people are now going to go for a quiet walk in the country to get some fresh air and exercise.

My view
Big difference to going down the seaside for an ice cream
Seriously took issue with you on this, not keen on being made to look like i'm putting anyone at risk

Show me where it says stay at home in any government briefing
When someone in power tells me to stay indoors I will.
Trouble is that there's conflicting information/advice at present. Some are saying "stay in", some are saying "go out but stay apart", so which do you do?
An earlier post in this thread mentioned a few scenarios where you might have to come into contact with other people, car breaks down, you have an accident, you need fuel and the garage doesn't have a touch pad by the pump or it does and the last person soiled the pad and no gloves available. All these situations may infect you.
Or will you only be walking?
We have also had a very experienced Dr ask us to stay indoors despite the fact that he probably knows full well we need to stay fit.
Can you not stay fit by doing exercise in your house/flat/garden? Do you really "Need" to go elsewhere?
Only you can answer those questions, and you will have to live with the consequences of your actions should you become unwell and then either infect (or worse) other people, perhaps even your wife, family etc.

Last edited:
I fully agree that exercise, or at least getting outdoors for a stroll plays a very important part in our health both physically and psychologically, however short term ( a couple of week or so,) having the activity seriously restricted is not going to be massively detrimental to most folk. ( think of other ailments that we get where we may be "floored" for a period of time and unable to do physical activity)

The effects of COVID 19 by contrast, …...I really don't need to explain do I ??

Perhaps you are unable to see for yourself, but as an outsider looking in on the intended pusuits of yourself and some others, it is clear ( to me at least) that you may well put other people ( not discounting yourselves) at risk.
It's also possible that by going out you may not pose any threat whatsoever, but is it not, at least for the short term until we learn more, more respectful to our fellow human beings to avoid any chances of adding to the propogation of COVID 19

I agree and If I thought I was going to come in contact with anyone else I wouldn't go, be lucky to be within 200m of someone let alone 2m
People are out walking in the town I live in right now, can see them from my windows
Far better to wander off in the other direction where its hardly used footpaths and undergrowth

My view
Trouble is that there's conflicting information/advice at present. Some are saying "stay in", some are saying "go out but stay apart", so which do you do?
An earlier post in this thread mentioned a few scenarios where you might have to come into contact with other people, car breaks down, you have an accident, you need fuel and the garage doesn't have a touch pad by the pump or it does and the last person soiled the pad and no gloves available. All these situations may infect you.
We have also had a very experienced Dr ask us to stay indoors despite the fact that he probably knows full well we need to stay fit.
Can you not stay fit by doing exercise in your house/flat/garden? Do you really "Need" to go elsewhere?
Only you can answer those questions, and you will have to live with the consequences of your actions should you become unwell and then either infect (or worse) other people, perhaps even your wife, family etc.

Walking and just the two of us who live together.

I could suggest some exercises to be done at home, but as one of our moderators, so eloquently put it, I am just a gym bunny (thanks for that, much appreciated) so what do I know?

My view

My Crossfit Gym is lending us all equipment so we can work out at home.

People are out walking in the town I live in right now, can see them from my windows

One of the biggest problems that was seen locally ( in case you are not aware i reside in France), was an attitude of " Well he/she is out so I too have the right to be"

Under "normal" circumstances I would most probably agree and stand for my rights to be able to do the same as others.

The fact is we are not under "normal" circumstances, and those which we are finding ourselves in are potentially lethal to any one of us regardless of where we live ( Rural or Urban )

I could suggest some exercises to be done at home, but as one of our moderators, so eloquently put it, I am just a gym bunny (thanks for that, much appreciated) so what do I know?

That's not what he said

just because we've already fallen out with someone on another thread about politics or thinking ford make s***e cars, or that gym bunnys are just sad fcukers or whatever

This thread has re-inforced my opinion that a small anti-social minority will cause a great deal of harm as they insist on excercising their "freedom". Regretably their selfishness may well rebound on others as well as themselves with drastic consequences...

Funeral procession Honiton Road Exeter _1040719.jpg

Just had a long but amiable conversation with the carpenter who wants to come tomorrow and finish fitting a new bannister (he now has the glass).
He doesn't get it that by going around to different houses he is putting both himself and clients at risk. He says he feels fine and is fit and healthy.
He is 66.

Anyway, he is now not coming until all this is over and to keep him sweet I have agreed a partial payment of the invoice as he has had to shell out for materials.

My wife has just returned from breakfast club at the school. They had no real idea how many kids to expect, but had just 3 turn up, no idea how many will be at school for the day. On BBC breakfast, they were at a school where they were expecting 100 pupils, and just 4 turned up.
My wife said two of those 3 kids at her school, are coughing and sniffing, as is one of the women who also helps out with breakfast club and midday. Surely their immune system is already compromised and if they pass on their germs other peoples immune systems will become compromised and increasing the risk of being critically ill if they should become infected.
The medical room at the school doesn't even have any gloves, let alone masks for the first aiders to wear.

Last edited:
I wonder from what we have seen this weekend if the sale of takeaway food will be banned. It seemed a little odd to close cafes, pubs and restaurants but allow them(and I assume actual takeaway places) to sell takeaways. There were some images at the weekend of people in outdoor places queuing up very close to each other to get food and drinks from a cafe.

I was thinking about what businesses need to be open -

food shops(some people will not be able to shop online),
pharmacies(some do not have access to a delivery service for prescription drugs),
petrol stations(there will still be some essential journeys),
banks(I feel they will need to be open but I'm not sure), and
post offices(some collect their benefit payments from POs)

are there any others that we really need to keep open?

I think all but the essential ones should be closed.

On a different aspect. Although we are being told to stay at home. I think walking in a place where you can maintain 'social distancing' is acceptable. Since last Thursday I have taken the dog out for a walk early in the morning, this morning it was at 5:30am. I am lucky that I live close to about 200 acres of open land and it is easy to keep well away from other people. I haven't been in any urban centre since last Wednesday so I don't know what they are like now but it appears some are continuing more or less as normal,

Dave

Just spotted the photo in the post a few places above - sadly undertakers are going to be needed too.

Last edited:
Debenhams will cease trading on a temporary basis as of close of the day today. Well, if Johnson Cummings won't make the decision to lockdown maybe the rest of the UK will.

One of the biggest problems that was seen locally ( in case you are not aware i reside in France), was an attitude of " Well he/she is out so I too have the right to be"
Then they are F***ing idiots.
As they used to say in my old school "if your mate put his head in the gas oven, would you?"
Did they leave their common sense at home.

He doesn't get it that by going around to different houses he is putting both himself and clients at risk

This is what I find REALLY disturbing, the attitudes of some of the OLDER generations……. Are we not supposed to express a "good example" to the youngsters?

I had to have quite a "firm" word with my own mother ( 77 years old) on saturday evening about her complacency and that of my stepfather ( 80 years old). ( They live (seperatley) on the IOM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back