The virus. PPE. Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if they stop me from going to Wales and Scotland next week I will be super p***ed. I will be meeting with zero people one way or another so this would be total p*** taking at this point. Government has no clear and effective strategy one way or another. At this point just may as well let it go and finish quickly.
UK is even holding back (unless you know otherwise?) potentially effective treatments like Favipiravir (Japan study) or good old cheap chlorogquine. Testing and contact tracing is not being done either; they are even selling test kits to other EU countries while not using it here. This is an absolute p*** taking out of everyone, and as a self-employed person I am particularly p***ed.
Only trouble is your not wanted in wales or Scotland . There is total uproar in wales already over a influx of visitors /holidaymakers our local NHS can’t cope normally let alone now and trust me tempers are quickly getting frayed . With tractors and trailers already being used to block car parks

When there are no seats left on the bus, do you stand by the door so everyone else getting on has to walk by you or do you move away towards the back of the bus and give others room?

The answer to that would be determined by country/ culture and of course politeness.

Going to the countryside doesn't mean you are safe, the safest place to be is stay put. In your home.

Someone in an island in Scotland had to be chopped into the mainland to get medical help for Covid-19. There is no safe area of the country to be. If you think you are safer in the countryside and let your guard down then you are going to catch it.

Stay inside, in your home.

Seriously?
You access the beach and move away from the access point. You don't sit on top of it.
When there are no seats left on the bus, do you stand by the door so everyone else getting on has to walk by you or do you move away towards the back of the bus and give others room?
I'd stop digging if I were you.

Seriously?
You access the beach and move away from the access point. You don't sit on top of it.
Have ever looked at crowds of people using access points?

Only trouble is your not wanted in wales or Scotland . There is total uproar in wales already over a influx of visitors /holidaymakers our local NHS can’t cope normally let alone now and trust me tempers are quickly getting frayed . With tractors and trailers already being used to block car parks
He’ll be back in a minute to say he’s not planning to get ill so it’s OK :(.

Have ever looked at crowds of people using access points?
Whenever I have been on beaches people have spread themselves out fairly evenly over the whole beach they haven't congregated around the access points, mainly for the reason I have already given. No different to when I go to motor racing and stand on the banking, people spread themselves out evenly and avoid being near the access points because they know they will constantly be disturbed by people walking in and out of the area.

It seems that some folk in France can afford to pay the 135 Euros fine for flouting the lockdown rules so they've upped the ante. Get caught 4 times in 30 days and it's 3750 Euros and 6 months on porridge.

It seems that some folk in France can afford to pay the 135 Euros fine for flouting the lockdown rules so they've upped the ante. Get caught 4 times in 30 days and it's 3750 Euros and 6 months on porridge.

They should send in The Legion.

Then they really will need bog roll.

Whenever I have been on beaches people have spread themselves out fairly evenly over the whole beach they haven't congregated around the access points, mainly for the reason I have already given. No different to when I go to motor racing and stand on the banking, people spread themselves out evenly and avoid being near the access points because they know they will constantly be disturbed by people walking in and out of the area.
Let’s see if this helps:
View: https://youtu.be/xsrA6G5T3pc

I'll be bleeding glad when it's high tide and it puts an end to this boring beach business.
How about the impact of seaweed and the associated flies, then there's the dog s*** placement factor to consider

Why are you asking. You don’t believe in evidence based arguments only in what you feel is correct.
I didn't say I was correct, I said maybe there's a different way and people should be open to other views.

Where did I say that. I said you weren't open to other views not that you were wrong. We won't know who was right or wrong until this thing is over.

There is no politics or worldview that is correct. This virus does not respect creed, colour, ethnicity, political allegiance, capitalist tendency. It doesn't care whether we have a right to roam, or a second home in the country. It couldn't care where the exact paths are to a beach, or of upsetting feelings if we can't travel like we planned to.

It is merely trying to replicate and survive, and for that it just needs two of us to stand close enough together.

Early research into antivirals, hydroxychloroquine etc are unproven as yet to many of us who read/digest the statistics and powers of published studies. Beating it is far more important for populations than treating it, because the way it presents clinically is unusually severe in humans and standard ICU treatments are often poorly effective.

To beat it, we have to stop it spreading. We stand further apart even on a sunny day in a nice place.

Last edited:
yes you did to be fair, but you assumed I wasn't which was also wrong.
Where did I say that. I said you weren't open to other views not that you were wrong. We won't know who was right or wrong until this thing is over.

Sorry I meant you assumed I wasn't open to other views, (which was wrong) on rereading I can see why you'd think I meant just wrong.

There is no politics or worldview that is correct. This virus does not respect creed, colour, ethnicity, political allegiance, capitalist tendency. It doesn't care whether we have a right to roam, or a second home in the country. It couldn't care where the exact paths are to a beach, or of upsetting feelings if we can't travel like we planned to.

It is merely trying to replicate and survive, and for that it just needs two of us to stand close enough together. Early research into antivirals, hydroxychloroquine etc are unproven as yet to many of us who read/digest the statistics and powers of published studies. To beat it, we stop it spreading. We stand further apart even on a sunny day in a nice place.
Which is why we don’t want the visitors in north wales .. it’s a semi rural area but geographically the population centres are largest and with a older retired population around the coastal areas .. lots of nice beaches and places to visit but due to the current situation visitors are pouring in and putting our already overstretched facilities under pressure .thankfully caravan park owners are now pulling the plug in a domino effect . Time will tell

I read yesterday, but couldn't find confirmation from other sources, that Spain has issued around 31k fines so far to people not observing the lockdown, they can't all be British, surely.

Which is why we don’t want the visitors in north wales .. it’s a semi rural area but geographically the population centres are largest and with a older retired population around the coastal areas .. lots of nice beaches and places to visit but due to the current situation visitors are pouring in and putting our already overstretched facilities under pressure .thankfully caravan park owners are now pulling the plug in a domino effect . Time will tell

Yes. If people can't be trusted to understand the basics, it must be enforced, legislation if required.

Consider this sobering thought...anyone who stood too close to a COVID vector today might have caught it. Even at, say, a reasonable health 45 years old, that means they now have a 2:10 chance of requiring future hospitalisation with breathing difficulty, 2:100 chance of needing ICU, and a 2:1000 chance of being dead in three weeks. And all they had to do to reduce the risk to zero was stay out of the way. Ok, 2:1000 is good odds, but if that was Russian Roulette... would you honestly spin the barrel?

I have a feeling that lots of people visiting the coast/Snowdon etc. think it's not really serious. People are dying in significant numbers across different parts of the world - but that's over there - it's not over here - so until they see it happening over here - they'll take that laid back approach that the whole thing will blow over in a couple of weeks. Once they see hospitals in Leeds, Glasgow, Luton, Newcastle, Birmingham, Cardiff etc beginning to fall apart at the seams, and body bags piling up - they'll take notice and stay indoors, but of course, by then, it'll be too late.

Very disappointed at the crowds today. Stay home, or in a genuine place you can be alone. Please disseminate this to anyone you know who's not doing it. Isolate.

I'm not saying this as some sort of concerned do-gooder. I'm one of the Consultant anaesthetists who will be deciding on which of you get a ventilator should services become overwhelmed. Can I stress that enough?

I'm among old acquaintances here on TP. I'm asking TP for assistance. Please, this information needs to be disseminated in every way possible.

Dr Daniel Broad MB.ChB FRCA (UK)

FINALLY - someone posts in this thead with something worth reading, and following. Daniel - thank you for your service, for your time and for trying to help the people who are seemingly incapable of realising that this is a SERIOUS problem - it's a "generation defining" thing - like the 2 world wars, they're going to be writing about this in the history books people - IF Anyone literate survives - it's time to pull together folks, support each other, and stop bickering - just because we've already fallen out with someone on another thread about politics or thinking ford make s***e cars, or that gym bunnys are just sad fcukers or whatever, STOP carrying it over to everywhere else... Because, if we don't stop dicking about, there's a good chance that someone, somewhere that we know will die. it might just be your mother, or wife, or carer, or husband, grandad, son, daughter or YOU.

now, PLEASE, can we discuss this, without arguing, respecting each others viewpoints (while acknowledging that they differ from ours) and without insulting anyone because our outlook differs.

I'm really getting sick of moderating this forum, when what I'm actually doing is "playground duty"... the average age of this forum's membership demographic is such that we really shouldn't be playing like silly little kids. Behave like adults, Step up to the challenge this crisis (yes, it's a bloody crisis, not an event) is giving us, and direct your energies into something that will help. Because Bickering doesn't help anyone. (arguing makes you stressed, which releases cortisol, and prolonged exposure to cortisol ends up suppressing your immune system - something we all need to try and keep working as well as possible...)

PLAY NICE KIDS, THE STAFF ARE TIRING OF GETTING CALLED TO THIS THREAD.

I have a feeling that lots of people visiting the coast/Snowdon etc. think it's not really serious. People are dying in significant numbers across different parts of the world - but that's over there - it's not over here - so until they see it happening over here - they'll take that laid back approach that the whole thing will blow over in a couple of weeks. Once they see hospitals in Leeds, Glasgow, Luton, Newcastle, Birmingham, Cardiff etc beginning to fall apart at the seams, and body bags piling up - they'll take notice and stay indoors, but of course, by then, it'll be too late.

Sadly, I think you're correct. Sadder still (at least for me, I'm sure there's other views on this), I'm likely to be in one of the bags in Leeds...

You want us locked with no income for 12 months. I hope for your own sake you don't get your wish come true. You know full well it is ridiculous. In all fairness these people are keeping respectable distance from each other, and if they are not too bad for them. End of story.

You want us locked with no income for 12 months. I hope for your own sake you don't get your wish come true. You know full well it is ridiculous. In all fairness these people are keeping respectable distance from each other, and if they are not too bad for them. End of story.

That's not what I said at all - I'm glad that you've decided to take my post and troll it to the nth degree. I'm referring to the crowds of people that aren't doing the right thing as has been discussed - the ones that aren't keeping a respectable distance from each other - the ones crowding into cafe's for takeaways on the beachfront - the ones swarming mount Snowdon. I haven't for one moment suggested locking people up for 12 months without income - it's not my wish - the only thing that's ridiculous are the people swarming the countryside and beaches who should be trying to prevent the spread of the virus rather than giving it more opportunity to do so, and treating this time as an extended bank holiday, and as I said, and I'll say it again, for the moment 'they' don't see the problem to be as serious as it is, as the 'bad stuff' is happening in other countries. Once it starts to happen here on a large scale, as I said - it will be too late.

A good thread summarising the current situation:

View: https://BANNED/kakape/status/1241704937375088640

NB:

View: https://BANNED/kakape/status/1241707400417234945

Last edited:
Some "good" news if I may say so from Germany

They only recorded 0.3% death rate so far, and the main difference between UK or Italy is rate of testing, which means they have the fuller picture https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/22/germany-low-coronavirus-mortality-rate-puzzles-experts

In other words it means the UK overall infected numbers are likely 10X of that reported, probably even more if people's health state is comparable, as it should be. Most of us will never know we've had it unless someone else nearby goes down with it. Try not to panic as this would in itself lower your chances quite significantly by bringing down your immune system.

Trouble is it’s not just you is it , this weekend the world and his wife decided it was spring bank holiday and all had the same idea to go to the countryside,beach,park,mountain rather like the mass dispersal at Chinese New Year from Wuhan . Under normal circumstances I’m out every day taking photos ,that’s now stopped it’s a glorious day today but I face another day window licking .. so should you end of story

I do think that people who go to Snowdon and crowd on the beaches and other situations where you are in close contact with people are being selfish and thoughtless but I believe that going for a quiet walk and keeping a distance from people is ok
I would be interested to hear people’s thoughts on this
I’m hoping to be able to get out to quiet places with my camera when spring arrives planning to get up at dawn and come home before most people are up and about

MacDonald’s now closed, the impact on supermarkets is going to be huge in terms of demand, the kids are now eating at home instead of school, parents who went to the cafe or butty shop at lunch are now at home, Meals in the evening are now at home, something is going to give very soon and it’s not going to be pretty.

I do think that people who go to Snowdon and crowd on the beaches and other situations where you are in close contact with people are being selfish and thoughtless but I believe that going for a quiet walk and keeping a distance from people is ok
I’m hoping to be able to get out to quiet places with my camera when spring arrives planning to get up at dawn and come home before most people are up and about

Sadly, if things carry on as they are, you may not get the choice. As usual, the selfish and ignorant few will spoil it for everyone else and nobody will be allowed out of their home if it isn't a necessity. :(

We will be in full lockdown over the next few days I think so you'll not be able to go anywhere.
Until then, there's nothing stopping you from driving to the country and spending the day alone.
The problem is though, if another 10,000 have the same idea.

Sadly, if things carry on as they are, you may not get the choice. As usual, the selfish and ignorant few will spoil it for everyone else and nobody will be allowed out of their home if it isn't a necessity. :(
Yes that’s what I’m worried about, when I go out looking for insects in the spring onwards if I go early I normally won’t see another person
But will still have to go to the supermarket to buy food when we need it and there’s far more risk of of picking up infection there than a walk along the river

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back