The Vuescan discussion thread...

Name
Terry
Edit My Images
Yes
Just updated to Vuescan 9.7.24 on Mac, and my scans are no longer auto-loading into Preview (the PDF viewer). Has anyone else seen this, and have a workaround? It helps me keep an eye on how the scans look!
have you checked the output tab is set up correctly
And the Prefs tab has the correct viewer set.

OP
ChrisR

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
have you checked the output tab is set up correctly
And the Prefs tab has the correct viewer set.
I think the Output tab is OK, but the Prefs tab had viewer set to Folder, which I guess is the source of my problems. Will test it later today, but I'm bemused as to how it changed! Thanks, Terry

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Just had the new Vuescan newsletter from Ed and suggestions for tutorials to read while self-isolating, and apparently it now works with Raspberry Pi as well!

Here at Hamrick Software work continues as normal. Ed, Dave and myself are working from our home offices (in 3 different countries) and there is no change in our development program or the support levels you receive.

We do realise though that many of you will now be working from home, and will have a lot more free time in the house. We would like to suggest that now would be a great time to do all those scanning projects which take a lot of time and you've been putting off for years :)

On our Support page we have tutorials to help you with this, so take a look here: https://www.hamrick.com/support/ and this is the link for scanning multiple photos on a flatbed: https://www.hamrick.com/support/how-to-guides/how-to-scan-multiple-photos-on-a-flatbed.html. This could really help you stay in contact with loved ones and share your family history. If you're starting from the beginning, then read our newsletters from April 2018 to November 2018 where we ran a series of articles 'All about scanning photos'. https://www.hamrick.com/newsletter.html

In normal life! In the last newsletter we promised that we would continue to focus on adding new features and always being innovative.

With that in mind, we are delighted to announce that VueScan now supports Raspberry Pi – and it’s a late Christmas present for our customers. :) If you don’t know much about the Raspberry Pi then read below for details. We think you’ll be as excited as we are! If you own VueScan 9.7.25, then the version for the Raspberry Pi is free for you. Just go to www.hamrick.com from the web browser in your Raspberry Pi and click the red button – you’ll be scanning in minutes.

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone got any good resources they can point me to for settings and using this software.

I downloaded it a while ago and use it with my Plustek 8100 but not sure I’m getting the best results from it having come across odd bits on t’internet to start with.

I’m only scanning black and white so anything relevant to that would be a bonus.

OP
ChrisR

ChrisR

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone else noticed the latest version of Vuescan (I have 9.7.27) giving reduced options for scanning resolution? For my 7500i I'm now getting 900, 1800, 3600 and 7200 (plus Custom). There certainly used to be 1200 and 2400 ppi options as well. You can get them via custom, but it's a lot less convenient. I guess those resolutions are interpolated, though.

RaglanSurf

Forum Idiot - FPOTY
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone else noticed the latest version of Vuescan (I have 9.7.27) giving reduced options for scanning resolution? For my 7500i I'm now getting 900, 1800, 3600 and 7200 (plus Custom). There certainly used to be 1200 and 2400 ppi options as well. You can get them via custom, but it's a lot less convenient. I guess those resolutions are interpolated, though.
I hadn’t noticed Chris, my scanning set up is pretty standard now so I tend not to notice some changes.

OP
ChrisR

ChrisR

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I hadn’t noticed Chris, my scanning set up is pretty standard now so I tend not to notice some changes.
Well that's the thing, so is my scanning setup (in fact my black and white settings are saved into a preset file and loaded before any scanning session)... so when I couldn't find the 2400 spi I normally used, I was right confused!

BTW, it isn't interpolation only, as a scan at 2400 spi takes longer than at 1800 and less than at 3600!

Name
Terry
Edit My Images
Yes
The options you see are linked to the scanner you are using. However you can always set a custom value, but the result will rarely be as good as a native value as it has to be interpolated.