Notice There's gon' be some new sheriffs in town

I'm not sure that there's anything really wrong with the like button in itself. If I like an image it's generally because I like it. If I have no idea of how i could improve or if I couldn't have done it any better myself, then I couldn't really give much more feedback than "I really like this".
Feedback is good and I welcome it, I've learned a lot from how others have viewed my photos, some of it subjective, some technical, it all helps, but as I've said previously, if it's not constructive then it's no help at all.
I'm not sure how you can increase commenting in the relevant forums. Maybe a "How do I improve this" section (But that's just making more forums to manage), or make the "critique" thingy a default in the title of your thread and you have to click it if you don't want feedback (if you see what I mean).

I think you missed Ian's very important point, "Edit my images" is a profile based setting and applies to all your posts and you have to go into your profile to change it. So what happens if I post something in one thread that I do want feedback on and something in another on which I don't?
Had you read my post in its entirety you’d have seen I said just that. I even quoted Ian.

If people want crit on some images and not others ( for whatever reason) use photos for pleasure. It’s not hard. Maybe it needs to be more obvious though

Last edited:
Excellent news, the loss of this forum would’ve been a massive blow. Good luck and deepest appreciation to the new team

Well, the new sheriffs have been in place for a few days now and I must say I'm quite disappointed with their performance so far. Not one flipping Milky Bar! The tight sods!

or make the "critique" thingy a default in the title of your thread and you have to click it if you don't want feedback (if you see what I mean).

I think that part of the problem is that a lot of members fail to familiarise themselves with how the forum is supposed to run.

For example, the area "Photos for pleasure" indicates: "This is a forum for sharing those photos for which you require no critique at all. Photos you have taken just for fun, or silly snapshots. Please do not offer any critique in this forum."

All other photo posting parts of the forum are shown as "Photo Genres - Sharing & Critique" so all photos posted there are open to critique.

However when folk post pictures in the "Photo Genres - Discussion" part of ther forum instead of the 'Sharing' forum, I guess we have a way to go.

My information from a source near to the action is that the takeover deal was already done and dusted on day 1 and the rest of the time since then has been used to negotiate and bargain over what type of biscuit will be available in the staff room...;)
There can be only one! :jaffa:

Had you read my post in its entirety you’d have seen I said just that. I even quoted Ian.

If people want crit on some images and not others ( for whatever reason) use photos for pleasure. It’s not hard. Maybe it needs to be more obvious though
Fixed :)

I think that part of the problem is that a lot of members fail to familiarise themselves with how the forum is supposed to run.

For example, the area "Photos for pleasure" indicates: "This is a forum for sharing those photos for which you require no critique at all. Photos you have taken just for fun, or silly snapshots. Please do not offer any critique in this forum."

All other photo posting parts of the forum are shown as "Photo Genres - Sharing & Critique" so all photos posted there are open to critique.

However when folk post pictures in the "Photo Genres - Discussion" part of ther forum instead of the 'Sharing' forum, I guess we have a way to go.
Absolutely, I agree with you. I just wonder if it would help remind people that feedback is appreciated:)

This is a forum for sharing those photos for which you require no critique at all. Photos you have taken just for fun, or silly snapshots. Please do not offer any critique in this forum

I suppose we could always create a 'Showcase' section for those who want to post serious photos without wanting feedback but, if I'm honest, whilst people may not be specifically seeking feedback, why would you post a photo on a photography forum and actively not WANT feedback?

Well, the new sheriffs have been in place for a few days now and I must say I'm quite disappointed with their performance so far. Not one flipping Milky Bar! The tight sods!

Didn’t they say the handover was in June?

I noticed in a thread yesterday someone replied with just the comment "9 and 10 the best of that lot." No justification, no because, no IMO, just "9 and 10 the best of that lot.", that's not intelligent feedback and we need to educate commenters as much as OPs.
The trouble as I see it Chris, the more images that are posted in one thread the less likely people are to comment other than what you observed.
Very similar to hitting the like button.

We also need a :p button

chocolate HobNob...anything else is just second rate...
Ginger nuts (y)
( actually can I still say that? )

Last edited:
I want to complain.
I'm shocked there isn't an I love Marc emoji :(
Not that I would use it :LOL: :exit:

Last edited:
And how about removing the 'Show ignored content' feature? :D
That's up to the person, to able show some constraint and not click it :D

That's up to the person, to able show some constraint and not click it :D
Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!

I want the idiots gone from my sight.

GONE!
icon_boing.gif

if I'm honest, whilst people may not be specifically seeking feedback, why would you post a photo on a photography forum and actively not WANT feedback?

One of my favourite photos ever was one I took of the Vulcan, using a helmet mounted go-pro as it passed underneath me when I was on a paraglider. There is no way the circumstances that allowed that photo will ever happen again and taking it using a helmet mounted camera with a shutter on my wrist there is no way I could take or change anything from any critique at all.

We all have photos that stir emotions in us (after all photography is art and thats its primary purpose) that in the cold light of day mean lots but for whatever reason (either they won't be repeated or they just ain't technically that good) critique isn't wanted and having an area to show them off is a good thing. We are a community after all. If (for example) someone is proud of being a new Dad and wants to show off to his mates I ain't going to tell them his first photos of his new child would have been better if they were short lit. Are you? An area for this sort of thing is sensible

Last edited:
One of my favourite photos ever was one I took of the Vulcan, using a helmet mounted go-pro as it passed underneath me when I was on a paraglider. There is no way the circumstances that allowed that photo will ever happen again and taking it using a helmet mounted camera with a shutter on my wrist there is no way I could take or change anything from any critique at all.

We all have photos that stir emotions in us (after all photography is art and thats its primary purpose) that in the cold light of day mean lots but for whatever reason (either they won't be repeated or they just ain't technically that good) critique isn't wanted and having an area to show them off is a good thing. We are a community after all. If (for example) someone is proud of being a new Dad and wants to show off to his mates I ain't going to tell them his first photos of his new child would have been better if they were short lit. Are you?

Hence photos for pleasure?

Hence photos for pleasure?

Yep ..I think that works well, although it could be better promoted. I was really trying to answer your question as to why someone would post without wanting critique or feedback though

Last edited:

Ultimately though, there would be no reason why you couldn't post the picture in a critique section because it was the appropriate area to share the picture, but simply add a paragraph of text in there explaining the circumstances it was taken, that it was never going to be subject to a re-shoot, and that from a technical point of view it was what it was, so basically critique of a technical nature wasn't really appropriate - however, that still didn't preclude helpful critique in terms of possible post-production techniques, composition via cropping perhaps...

No two people look at an image with the same pair of eyes - and often a different viewpoint on composition can just trigger something... I know that even (actually especially) on my most painstakingly composed and crafted images, I welcome every single viewpoint.

It's also important to remember that critique doesn't have to be technical. Often on my shots, EXIF would be irrelevant - f-stop wrong as i''m using a manual lens and adaptor, shutter speed irrelevant as I'm using studio flash - hell - often it'd be shot on film, and the only exif would be the name of the scanner. Doesn't mean people can't give critique on arguably a far more important factor - how the photo "moves them" - how it speaks to them, what it says, what it makes them feel...

If you've got a pair of eyes to see, a brain to reason, and a heart to feel, you've all the equipment you need to give critique on at least one level.

Yep ..I think that works well, although it could be better promoted. I was really trying to answer your question as to why someone would post without wanting critique or feedback though

Yes, I was referring to anywhere outside of Photos for Pleasure. Maybe we should rename that 'Showcase'.

I still don't understand what people expect to happen if they don't want feedback? I think the default position should be that this is serious photography forum, not instagram, and so in general images are posted for learning and feedback. We can look at ways of making that more obvious in the Photos: forums and we also need ways of making people give more emotionally intelligent feedback. I noticed in a thread yesterday someone replied with just the comment "9 and 10 the best of that lot." No justification, no because, no IMO, just "9 and 10 the best of that lot.", that's not intelligent feedback and we need to educate commenters as much as OPs.

Several years ago now I was looking at some reviews on Amazon pertaining to a book I thought I might buy. One of the 'reviews' said, and I quote, "Haven't read it yet therefore only one star." I was incredulous.

There is a world of difference between a comment and a review/critique. Nice shot, or "I like that" is a comment and if you have nothing else to say then that is fine as at least it shows the image has been seen and I feel that is important; it's not really feedback but it's always nice to know the auditorium is not empty. I will always try to put at least a one-liner in a comment but sometimes a 'like' I consider adequate to show the image has been seen. Occasionally, I might suggest things that, for me, would improve a picture but I am always aware that an improvement for me might be anathema to someone else. Photography is largely subjective so comments are normally also opinions. I think most people on here will not have to be told why their images are blurry or have a big thumb in their pictures.

If you've got a pair of eyes to see, a brain to reason, and a heart to feel, you've all the equipment you need to give critique on at least one level.

:agree:

Guess the other thing to say is that since many forum users will be on mobile devices, at least some of the time, they should not consider offering advice until they've used something with a half-decent screen. I wouldn't even offer crit from my work computer, because the screen is dark/colours iffy.

Can work the other way too - the OP might not have a 100% correctly calibrated monitor but have their monitor and printer giving the same results so someone looking at the screen image on a "perfect" monitor will see a slightly different image.

I always try to upload a full-size image to Flickr and link to it from here. Many, many photos are adequate at page-size but really come into their own when viewed in greater detail.

Only problems there are that full size images on Flickr can be "borrowed" and scrolling round a large image on screen isn't ideal.

Indeed so, the only acceptable choice is the chocolate HobNob...anything else is just second rate...
(Grabs coat and heads for exit)

True - for biscuits but the clue's in the name of the pictured think - it's a cake!

Ginger nuts (y)
( actually can I still say that? )

You can say anything you like - mine are grey now!

Not a bad idea, as a lot use it as you say, for stashing items for sale pics.
Rather than "clutter up" the likes of flickr or their own web sites.
And right now, anyone stumbling on TP for the first time and clicking on the Gallery is going to get a very peculiar impression of what this site is about:

gallery.jpg

Perhaps just filter out everything without a specific tag (no personal albums or Classifieds, and maybe no General)?

And right now, anyone stumbling on TP for the first time and clicking on the Gallery is going to get a very peculiar impression of what this site is about:

Oh @Asha, you have made me smile today :)

One word...

suspenders panties and a bra!!!

View attachment 318403

Perhaps just filter out everything without a specific tag (no personal albums or Classifieds, and maybe no General)?
Funny, I was just there and pondering what it was for really. I’ve only ever posted ‘casual’ snaps that illustrated conversations or posts rather than ‘art’. And I’ve just deleted most of them. I searched the Help/FAQ but there doesn’t seem to be a description of its purpose :(.

Something certainly need to be done about it
And that is something we will need to seriously look at once in charge (y)

Back