Thomas Heaton

I really enjoyed this week's instalment about failing. That is me this week. I have the whole of Assynt at my disposal and find myself swearing and stomping about as stuff just isn't f'ing working. His off-camera accidentally caught rant that he included is exactly what I've been doing. Swearing like a swearing thing because the sunset hasn't "performed" for the 4th day in a row, squelching up a mountain to find an amazing lone tree and being unable to create a decent shot of it. Aaaggghhh!

I only came across his channel this week, I find his down to earth attitude very inspirational. Well worth a look IMHO

Last edited:
Just to say I thought Tom's latest video was "Fantastic".

Probably because I knew the area, I love beaches and, best of all, the way he took the p*** out of himself in the video. Nice one Thomas. I'd even have been proud to have taken some of the images he got with the drone, especially the shot along the beach with the waves in the centre.

Last edited:
Yes, I really enjoyed it too.

Seems to be back on track....however, some parts seem somewhat contrived: getting trapped on a rock by the incoming sea, not having enough to eat/drink and the swearing section in his latest.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy his channel, but not sure if he's creating drama.

Cheers.

Just watched the latest one and got to say I think it's possibly the best one yet.

Very inspiring to get of my arse and walk a bit further searching out that better shot.

Yeah it's a good one this week. I definitely would have camped though if I'd have lugged my camping gear 3 miles!

Weds 26th April, just sat through the latest couple of videos from Thomas on the Isle of Harris.

The "Don't Ruin Images for other Photographers" video has, for me, one of his best shots recently, the image of the dark rocks on the white sandy beach at 6:12, really special.

Last edited:
Tom's vlogs are superb. He is both entertaining and inspirational.
I also watch Paul Johnson's and Simon Baxters videos which are also excellent.

Andy

I had never come across them before, just subscribed to both. Thanks

This week, first go at Large Format! Not his greatest video, but interesting...

I think it was a bit out of his comfort zone, a new toy and no way to check progress.

I think the planned "reveal" video when he gets his first Velvia transparencies back could be interesting. Those little "stained glass windows" are magic enough in 135 format; at 4*5 a well-exposed transparency must be awesome!

I never realised a large format camera could be so compact, in relative terms.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Talk Photography Forums mobile app

I think the Intrepid is a 4*5" "field camera", relatively compact indeed. Monorail cameras are more bulky, IIRC, and of course 10*8" cameras are another step up altogether (though I believe Intrepid are starting a Kickstarter for one).

Weds 26th April, just sat through the latest couple of videos from Thomas on the Isle of Harris.

The "Don't Ruin Images for other Photographers" video has, for me, one of his best shots recently, the image of the dark rocks on the white sandy beach at 6:12, really special.

Have to say, watching the Harris ones made me so envious and wanting to get back asap.

Just finished watching the focus one, and it prompted me to go straight out into the garden and have a go myself. I've always used (rough) hyperfocal distances but today I got a tape measure out. Tried it against Infinity, using the Dof scale on the camera, and focus peaking, and was surprised to discover that my hyperfocal method was by far the worst. I'd be better off going back to what I did before I learnt anything and "focus on the mountain". *sigh*

My understanding is that hyperfocal distance is dependent upon Circle Of Confusion to define how sharp you consider acceptably sharp. I think the usual hyperfocal distances have film and small prints in mind, not pixel peeping at 100% :)

Tom's video makes me wonder if the edges of some lenses tend to focus closer (hence they're often less sharp in some circumstances).

Last edited:
I watched it last night and I think he was a little shocked that focusing to infinity gave excellent foreground focus

Well he really messed up the Hyperfocal one, or used the calculator incorrectly.
By focusing at 5feet, his depth of field would have been between 3ft and 10ft, beyond that would have been out of focus.
If he had focused at 100 feet, his depth of field would have been from 7ft to infinity.
How he made that mistake I have no idea???

Calculated by plugging his camera and settings into http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Last edited:
I only got on to Thomas Heaton a few months ago, but have found him very inspiring, and it's pushed me into doing a couple of early rises where I've got my bestest shots so far. I don't mind the product reviews and placements, I'd rather that than sit through ads TBH.

Another one I like is Shaun Tucker, although not specifically landscapes.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ChaQAHj0gWg

Last edited:
Well he really messed up the Hyperfocal one, or used the calculator incorrectly.
By focusing at 5feet, his depth of field would have been between 3ft and 10ft, beyond that would have been out of focus.
If he had focused at 100 feet, his depth of field would have been from 7ft to infinity.
How he made that mistake I have no idea???

Calculated by plugging his camera and settings into http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

I don't think he got it wrong.
The calculation on the link you provided gives a hyperfocal distance of 5.65ft. This gives a DOF of 2.91ft to infinity.

Based on Canon 5D
24mm
f11

I too fully enjoy his video's, he is an inspiration to go out and do some shooting, if only, legs aren't good enough yet to walk far.

I don't think he got it wrong.
The calculation on the link you provided gives a hyperfocal distance of 5.65ft. This gives a DOF of 2.91ft to infinity.

Based on Canon 5D
24mm
f11

My mistake, not sure what I put in then, cant get the same result again ????
Even less inclined to use their calculator now seeing this.

I've followed him for a while. I like how down to earth he seems to come across. Sort of a "no nonsense, i'm just gonna go and try it type."

I've been following him for a while. For me it has been a valuable source of inspiration and, honestly, I am amazed on how he's able to pull an image out of situations where I wouldn't have thought to shoot anything.

Can't really understand the logic behind the rear lens cap system that Thomas is talking about in his latest video.

The rear lens cap is held in the bottom of the camera bag's compartment by Velcro, you then push the lens into the compartment and on to the lens cap. I'm probably wrong but I would have thought that any dust or debris that gets into the compartment in the camera bag will be disturbed when you push the lens into the compartment and as the dust has to go somewhere, won't it be more than likely into the lens that hasn't got a cap on it?

Can't really understand the logic behind the rear lens cap system that Thomas is talking about in his latest video.

The rear lens cap is held in the bottom of the camera bag's compartment by Velcro, you then push the lens into the compartment and on to the lens cap. I'm probably wrong but I would have thought that any dust or debris that gets into the compartment in the camera bag will be disturbed when you push the lens into the compartment and as the dust has to go somewhere, won't it be more than likely into the lens that hasn't got a cap on it?

I thought it was stupid as well, he could just take the lens on the camera off first, it's not rocket science, but he's got to make content and in 3 weeks it might be "my brilliant new idea was wrong" and he can fill 10 minutes talking about how dirt and sand kept getting in the bag

Plus if it's really that good get some cheapo rear caps off ebay from china for 99p, and put some sticky velcro on the back. Bit cheaper than £15 a pop.

Guys, if you're from Scotland then this guy's vidoes are fairly tongue and cheek. If you're not Scottish or familiar with our sarcasm then you may not find these videos funny but hopefully you do as he's my new favourite! Dan Bell

Guys, if you're from Scotland then this guy's vidoes are fairly tongue and cheek. If you're not Scottish or familiar with our sarcasm then you may not find these videos funny but hopefully you do as he's my new favourite! Dan Bell

Aye, for the entertainment factor I look forward to his vids more than any other. If you want a bit of youthful enthusiasm, he is your man!

Still enjoying his video's, I also like Joe Allen.

I've seen his blogs, biking to glen etive, missing the last train, definitely enthusiasm gets the better of common sense! But he does seem to enjoy it, have a nice style and get some good images, this has prompted me to subscribe:) just hope he doesn't do himself an injury whilst out on his blog!

Back