Thomas Heaton

Another thread spoiled by childish bickering and name calling.
Happening all to often these days. A real shame.
I get annoyed at some of the drivel posted and have to sit on my hands as I'd likely get banned if I typed what I was thinking.
Perhaps others should do the same.
I'd use ignore, but I'd be talking to myself most of the time. I've tried that and it's not much fun. :(

Funnily enough, i entirely agree. Elliott made a comment that i thought was entirely without merit and unreasonable for any workshop leader to tollerate. Despite offering a reasonable explanation, he continued to be beligerant.

My comment about his website wasn’t a comment about the quality of his photography, but rather that it’s clear to see his subject of choice is not, on the whole, of a type that would reasonably place him much in harms way. I’m sorry if it came across any other way.

Right, back to TH.

I do like Thomas Heatons work and he seems to be very honest is his Youtube videos. Like most Pro togs these days it seems the money is in running workshops to places like Iceland, Alps, Patagonia ( which I believe was $3,900 for 2 weeks ) etc. I would love to go on one off his workshops, however I just can not afford that amount at this moment in time. I feel to get some really good landscape photos it is either up early for sun rise, be in national trust parks, live near the coast or visit fantastic natural areas of beauty / wonder in the world, oh and not take the wife as she has no patience with me standing around to trying take a photo while the light changes ! !

Recently I have been scouting my local area like parks, woodlands etc for anchor points, composition etc

has any one on here been on a Thomas Heaton, Branden Van Son, e6 Craig Roberts workshops ! ?

Last edited:
Just got a link to this trip in my emailbox.

https://www.vagabond-expeditions.com/exped-nepal

I received that too. Add in the cost of flights to/from Kathmandu and you're not looking at change from £7500.
However, having been to Nepal - Kathmandu and drive to Pokhara, plus a couple of villages - it is an incrediblbly photo-inspiring country. You'd need to take a few batteries and memory cards with, especially because power supply is not always reliable even in urban locations. I think given the length of trip, accommodation and guides included (including locals), it's fair value, but well beyond the wallet of most of us. It will be tough looking at the vlogs Thomas uploads about this trip!

I received that too. Add in the cost of flights to/from Kathmandu and you're not looking at change from £7500.
However, having been to Nepal - Kathmandu and drive to Pokhara, plus a couple of villages - it is an incrediblbly photo-inspiring country. You'd need to take a few batteries and memory cards with, especially because power supply is not always reliable even in urban locations. I think given the length of trip, accommodation and guides included (including locals), it's fair value, but well beyond the wallet of most of us. It will be tough looking at the vlogs Thomas uploads about this trip!

If you take T Heaton and tuition out the equation how much would 4x4 hire and a local guide for the more rugged terrain realistically cost.

If you take T Heaton and tuition out the equation how much would 4x4 hire and a local guide for the more rugged terrain realistically cost.
If you want to have a go at the price anyone charges for trips/workshops like this then they could almost all be seen as overpriced. If everyone thinks trips like the one mentioned above are overpriced then there will no takers, but I'm sure this latest Thomas Heaton trip will be full when it happens, and good luck to him. :) I look forward to seeing the vids of the trip, because I know I will never get to a place like that, even going a cheaper route. :( :rolleyes: ;)

If you want to have a go at the price anyone charges for trips/workshops like this then they could almost all be seen as overpriced. If everyone thinks trips like the one mentioned above are overpriced then there will no takers, but I'm sure this latest Thomas Heaton trip will be full when it happens, and good luck to him. :) I look forward to seeing the vids of the trip, because I know I will never get to a place like that, even going a cheaper route. :( :rolleyes: ;)

I agree with this. However without researching details, I would estimate that you would have to budget at least £150/day to cover transport when it is required, local driver and/or guide, and probably add something for accommodation, such as it may be depending on route. So for a 23 day trip, you're looking at least at about £4000-£5000. Getting the quality of Thomas plus the trekking guide has to be worth a good daily rate too - they are professionals. That's why I say it is fair value for what is being charged. But it's for the rich togs not me.

If you want to have a go at the price anyone charges for trips/workshops like this then they could almost all be seen as overpriced.
Steve's hardly having a go. He simply asked a question, which might make a trip to somewhere like that more affordable to those not in a position to pay for a dedicated course.
That said, if I had the money and could afford to go, I would.

Last edited:
Steve's hardly having a go. He simply asked a question, which might make a trip to somewhere like that more affordable to those not in a position to pay for a dedicated course.
That said, if I had the money and could afford to go, I would.

Exactly - actually I run workshops but they are local ones so there are no costs to my client other than food on the day and the course itself.

I was more thinking for my own trips - I have no need for a tutor - I myself like the pictures I take and am comfortable finding compositions on location and using a camera - to the point where I teach others how to ;). However I love to travel and would be curious to the thoughts of the costs - and I dare say others are too. I like Mr heaton and it might be easy for me to book him if I had the money - just for the guidance to the location and the guides but I do not need taught - I was more thinking of a DIY itinerary and there are many on this forum which would do it this way.

Last edited:
Exactly - actually I run workshops but they are local ones so there are no costs to my client other than food on the day and the course itself.

I was more thinking for my own trips - I have no need for a tutor - I myself like the pictures I take and am comfortable finding compositions on location and using a camera - to the point where I teach others how to ;). However I love to travel and would be curious to the thoughts of the costs - and I dare say others are too. I like Mr heaton and it might be easy for me to book him if I had the money - just for the guidance to the location and the guides but I do not need taught - I was more thinking of a DIY itinerary and there are many on this forum which would do it this way.
Sorry if I took it the wrong way. :oops: :$

With regards to doing it yourself and getting a local guide, the hard thing I would think would be getting a guide who has photography in mind. Sunrises and Sunsets may not be times a normal guide would want to be travelling around mountains and remote areas. I'm sure there would be guides like that in popular areas, with good reputations, but they may be a busy and a bit more expensive because of that. Just a thought.

Sorry if I took it the wrong way. :oops: :$

With regards to doing it yourself and getting a local guide, the hard thing I would think would be getting a guide who has photography in mind. Sunrises and Sunsets may not be times a normal guide would want to be travelling around mountains and remote areas. I'm sure there would be guides like that in popular areas, with good reputations, but they may be a busy and a bit more expensive because of that. Just a thought.

I guess you have to email them and discuss requirements and see if it is something they'd do - something you'd do booking a workshop and your workshop guide would likely ask what you'd want out the day and anything in particular you wanted to shoot, technical things to cover off etc etc.A guide is probably going to ask you the reason for the visit, what you want to see etc - actually in your enquiry you'd likely spell it out.

Tell you who I'd recommend just on the basis of emails discussing the Lofoten area is this fella Cody Duncan - http://www.68north.com/lofoten-photo-tours/

I emailed him just asking about the places to shoot and times to go etc and he was ever so helpful - this guy I can tell just by his emails will be a great guide/workshop leader.

Did anyone notice this bit: High effort. This is a serious trekking expedition where we can expect 6-10 hours of trekking per day and at altitude. Previous multi-day trekking experience is mandatory.

Mr Heaton's videos might or might not be your cup of tea, but I'm not really all that keen on seeing youtube contributors just banging up video after video, but never bothering to acknowledge comments or respond to any questions. He seems more guilty of this than most.

I am still enjoying Thomas Heaton videos. I originally found him via BVS. Since then I've gone off BVS but stuck with TH.

RE The Workshops. I admit, I'd love to go one. I understand you could do it cheaper yourself but part of it for me aside from the tutoring and guiding of a pro it's being part of group of like-minded individuals with the same goal in mind. And to be part of that comradory for that time. That to me is worth it, and I've convinced myself that I'll try to get in on one of the 2020 trips to the Alps or similar.

He's not my cuppa any more. I don't have any interest in the "This week I'm going to [far flung location]", nor the swanky cinematography. I also tend to shy away from vloggers who come across as too "monetizy" and I'm truly fed up of hearing about website design companies (well... one in particular).

So no. Not for me any more.

This post was brought to you by TriangleSpace.

Man, you guys are hard to please! TH has done q&a vids before but I can understand why they’re not a regular thing.

And sponsorship and monetisation is surely to be expected if you want someone to deliver decent quality, interesting content on regular basis. The guy is entitled to earn a living!

He's not my cuppa any more. I don't have any interest in the "This week I'm going to [far flung location]", nor the swanky cinematography. I also tend to shy away from vloggers who come across as too "monetizy" and I'm truly fed up of hearing about website design companies (well... one in particular).

So no. Not for me any more.

This post was brought to you by TriangleSpace.
I think as you become successful in Landscape (or travel) photography, you may get the opportunity to go further a field., and if the videos are about what you are taking pics of, then one follows the other.

And part of trying to be a pro photographer nowadays is trying to make a living, maybe not just from photography, and sponsorship can, for some, be part of that, as can the workshops. At least he is not the kind that are changing hear every five minutes. :rolleyes: I think the "TriangleSpace" ;) is not every video either, but if it helps to keep him putting out great/good content, then I for one am fine with that. Good luck to him.:)

Don't misunderstand me - I'm not saying he isn't entitled to monetise. I totally believe folks can do whatever they want.

Just saying it's not for me.

I'm not saying he needs to do Q&A videos. He just needs to actually bother enough to respond to comments or queries that people have typed below the videos. There's plenty of mediocre content on youtube to keep us all going if we really want but sometimes the interaction with the vlogger is enough to make it bearable
Anyway, each to their own. If people like his videos then watch them. I don't so I don't. There's not a lot else to say surely? 11 pages of discussion seems a bit redundant.

I'm not saying he needs to do Q&A videos. He just needs to actually bother enough to respond to comments or queries that people have typed below the videos. There's plenty of mediocre content on youtube to keep us all going if we really want but sometimes the interaction with the vlogger is enough to make it bearable
Anyway, each to their own. If people like his videos then watch them. I don't so I don't. There's not a lot else to say surely? 11 pages of discussion seems a bit redundant.

Much like your comment, if people want to discuss the content of his videos for 11 pages they can, if they don't they don't have to, that's the beauty of a forum ;)

Between flying all over the world, being out taking images, post processing, printing, editing videos for your enjoyment, doing talks all over the country and spending what little time he has left with his wife, when would you propose he answers all of the comments.

Between flying all over the world, being out taking images, post processing, printing, editing videos for your enjoyment, doing talks all over the country and spending what little time he has left with his wife, when would you propose he answers all of the comments.

I don't really know. My original point was that I didn't really enjoy his videos but that there might be some small compensation if he answered the odd question. I don't imagine most people answer all the comments. It just seems a bit unpleasant/rude/cynical to ignore every single one of them. It suggests to me ( and I might be wrong ) clicks are all that matters and while this might be the case for many youtube participants, it's not likely to induce admiration from me, though I admire your rosier outlook.

I don't suppose he cares about my view. Why would he? Why would you? Why would anyone? I can barely summon interest myself :)

Last edited:
I don't really know. My original point was that I didn't really enjoy his videos but that there might be some small compensation if he answered the odd question. I don't imagine most people answer all the comments. It just seems a bit unpleasant/rude/cynical to ignore every single one of them. It suggests to me ( and I might be wrong ) clicks are all that matters and while this might be the case for many youtube participants, it's not likely to induce admiration from me, though I admire your rosier outlook.

I don't suppose he cares about my view. Why would he? Why would you? Why would anyone? I can barely summon interest myself :)

I get about 30-40 comments these days (and only because each one gets an entry to a comp...probably), but even answering each of those takes me a while. Tom gets thousands, he can't possibly read each one (maybe he does), but honestly I marvel that he is able to do what he does and still put out two videos a week. Fair play to him.

I think he has done videos in the past answering a lot of questions in one go, and occasionally mentions peoples questions in videos. There is an easy solution for not liking what a Youtuber does or doesn't do though isn't there. ;) :)

I think he has done videos in the past answering a lot of questions in one go, and occasionally mentions peoples questions in videos. There is an easy solution for not liking what a Youtuber does or doesn't do though isn't there. ;) :)

Well yes there absolutely is, and I recommend it. There's an easy solution to most things of that ilk. It's just that sometimes people like to discuss ideas about them and put forward different points of view. If that isn't your bag then I find it's best to ignore such discussions :D

I get about 30-40 comments these days (and only because each one gets an entry to a comp...probably), but even answering each of those takes me a while. Tom gets thousands, he can't possibly read each one (maybe he does), but honestly I marvel that he is able to do what he does and still put out two videos a week. Fair play to him.

I suppose it's a silliness about youtube. I don't really know why you'd not just disable comments if you wrest going to participate. Well, unless you were happy to receive a lot of publicity without the effort of engaging. But as my learned friend redhed17 says, "each to their own" and I will leave this circular thread alone now. Have a good night, folks :)

Last edited:
I suppose it's a silliness about youtube. I don't really know why you'd not just disable comments if you wrest going to participate. Well, unless you were happy to receive a lot of publicity without the effort of engaging. But as my learned friend redhed17 says, "each to their own" and I will leave this circular thread alone now. Have a good night, folks :)
Away in the huff 'coz nobody agrees with you? :p

Waits for all the "Hang on! This is just a rehash of a previous video" comments for his latest

Well I wish him well despite not being overcome with fandom. I'm sure he appreciates the PR work on his behalf though :)

I think when you get to level of success Tom is currently enjoying there comes a point where you have to have a media team helping out. Failing that, perhaps his wife Charlotte, might be the unsung star in the background doing all the PR/PA work?

Last edited:
In TH's last but one video, he gave his views on the new Canon EOS-R mirrorless (that he tested in Iceland). His experience was enough for him to state that he was going to move away from Canon !! He says he will now test 'other makes' with a view to making a decision in the New Year. In his latest video he is shooting with a Nikon D850.

Interesting...........

In TH's last but one video, he gave his views on the new Canon EOS-R mirrorless (that he tested in Iceland). His experience was enough for him to state that he was going to move away from Canon !! He says he will now test 'other makes' with a view to making a decision in the New Year. In his latest video he is shooting with a Nikon D850.

Interesting...........
However he did end the video saying that he might wait for the rumoured new Canon sensor. If I'm honest it was the first video of his that I felt disappointed by

It's all b****x. A silly argument. Just the normal disnigenuous "you tube" click - bait game. I guess it will get bit of attention for a few days from the punters....

It's kind of sad the way we live.

Last edited:
Back