Thomas Heaton

As a postcript to my last post.....

TBH, I am not interested enough to know how much better digital MF is over FF. The improvements must be only visible to the particularly observant eye and mind; I'd rather improve my photography with the kit that i already have than worry about MF.

I'm sure there's a car analogy there somewhere.......

Last edited:
Its a good move by him to dwell over kit choices, it will bump up the subscribers, I expect though at the end of the day, he will go Sony A7RIII, as he can continue to use his Canon Glass, and his 'mate' Simon Baxter uses Sony (there were out together during the week). The Fuji for all it's MF ness, has limited and expensive glass available at the moment, and there currently are no native wide angle zooms or telephoto zooms (and he does like his 16-35 and 70-200)

As a postcript to my last post.....

TBH, I am not interested enough to know how much better digital MF is over FF. The improvements must be only visible to the particularly observant eye and mind; I'd rather improve my photography with the kit that i already have than worry about MF.

I'm sure there's a car analogy there somewhere.......

Like a Lexus to a Toyota :) - not much use if you cannot drive but if you appreciate cars you can feel, sense and enjoy the difference.

With landscape photography the biggest challenge is knowing when to turn up, so long as you can compose and expose your scene and process it the way you like you're on the way. Checking weather forecasts etc is the most challenging bit for me.

Last edited:
Like a Lexus to a Toyota :) - not much use if you cannot drive but if you appreciate cars you can feel, sense and enjoy the difference.

With landscape photography the biggest challenge is knowing when to turn up, so long as you can compose and expose your scene and process it the way you like you're on the way. Checking weather forecasts etc is the most challenging bit for me.

That IS one of the biggest challenges, I agree.

It was the same when Sean Tucker "announced" he was swtiching from Fuji to Sony - hordes of fanboys and fangirls slinging comment and insult back and forth, i find it baffling!
I still watch Sean as I think his content is really engaging and interesting. Love his style, too and couldn't give a toss what he uses.

It was the same when Sean Tucker "announced" he was swtiching from Fuji to Sony - hordes of fanboys and fangirls slinging comment and insult back and forth, i find it baffling!

People like to belong to tribes and they always want their tribe to be the 'best' (as demonstrated by the person they're following being part of the tribe).

For me Thomas Heaton rarely mentions the gear that he uses, unless there is a change, or something gets damaged. He uses Canon cameras, I don't, does it make any difference! Not is any way. When people change, or consider changing, I find their reasons interesting, either his, or in threads on here. I know why I have what I have, but find the reason's why other use something else interesting. Some may not, and that's fine. :) If he moves to MF then it will make no different to me.

I'm sure if and when TH changes the camera he uses, he will give his reasoning for the change, or not changing, and then that will probably be it until something occurs with its use if he changes. As the videos he puts out are about his photography life, are the tools not of any significance? :thinking: I'm sure we have all carefully chosen the gear that we use, and I doubt anyone just chose the first camera on a shelf in a camera shop, because any camera will do won't it! ;) He will probably name the videos that are about the cameras, so easy enough to avoid. ;)

I find it amusing when someone doesn't like things for being over produced. :LOL: I'm sure a lot of work goes in to making it look so easy, and I appreciate the effort he puts in. If you are going to use drones, and a showing yourself in a scene, do you smile and wave at the camera? That's probably what I would do, but I think it would get irritating very quickly. :LOL: And it would give a different tone to the vids.

For those who don't publish vids that often, he posts two videos a week, try not to be too envious/jealous, of those that can, and still be interesting. ;)

I like seeing his vids in the UK, but I also like seeing vids from abroad. Almost all of the places he visits I will never see, either in the UK or somewhere else. I think it is a sign of his success and development that he is taking pics further afield, and good luck to him. :)

I said it earlier, if he were using the change of camera purely for attention/click bait, then that last video would have been all about the camera he was using, whereas it never got mentioned, with only a close up of the lens at the beginning hinting that he was using something different, and those eagle eyed enough to notice the rear of the cameras was different.

Btw, because it is a YT channel, no one is forced to watch it, think he is playing the camera controversy game, then don't watch. :)

What I find baffling at times is the "need" to constantly change and upgrade gear.

TH has or had a Canon 5D Mark IV. Then goes and invests in a Canon EOS-R. I have to sit and ask myself why on earth anyone who has the 5D Mark IV would go and get the EOS-R. They are practically the same camera; hardly any real difference in weight and mirrorless can't hold a candle to regular mirrored cameras when in comes to weight. Back up, yes? Replacement, no.

Is it down to clickbait? Only he can answer that and he isn't likely to. Look at it like this though. With his large YouTube following he is a marketing departments dream. They don't have to pay him anything and if he says a product is good or bad then the people will follow and it costs them zilch. It's the same with all of us who have a good following. We are giving companies free airtime by mentioning their product and it costs them zilch.

I used to use a Canon 5D Mark II until late August when I switched for a 5D Mark IV. I switched because the time had come, technology had moved on and there were things such as the 4K video that had huge appeal. Yes, there is a crop factor on that camera and it is annoying BUT it is still usable.

As was mentioned earlier it is NOT the gear at work but YOU behind the camera. There is also an element then of post-production skills that too will have a hand in the final product. Speaking of which, when he mentioned recently about his lack of knowledge of PS etc then it's a trap I suspect he will fall into quite quickly. Go off and learn about luminosity masks without ever really understanding the inner workings of PS. Something not just he but a lot of others fall into. Honestly folks, go and tell yourselves you know absolutely nothing about PS. Pick up the Adobe book about PS then sit down with Deke McLelland on Lynda.com then watch how you fly with Photoshop. You will be glad you did.

If he is really after the ultimate landscape photography set-up then there are two options. One is to use large format and then scan the images. Or he uses a set-up akin to Joe Cornish whereby he has a Phase One back and a Linhof Techno. Are Phase One likely to treat TH as they do JC? Personally, they are not in the same league at all no matter how many of you may disagree that. And by the way, do you notice Joe's social media presence???

You have to remember that just because someone has a large social media following it doesn't mean that what they are doing is actually cracked up to be the same thing. Greg Whitton doesn't have the same following on YouTube but I think that Greg produces far superior images to what TH does. Is that right and proper? There are also many other people out there who are complete unknowns and again they are producing high quality work that puts TH's to shame. I had a gentleman on a workshop earlier this year who was a hill walker and opportunist photographer as he called himself. No social media presence. Doesn't sell his work etc BUT what he showed blew away TH. Yes, TH does some nice work BUT is it really that defining?

What TH does is that he gets people out and that can't be denied. But I personally don't understand this hero worship that he is afforded. Is that and other comments above going to cause stern comments. Yep but honestly I think people need to take a step back here and not get caught up in this social media crazy world.

Edit. Forgot. Uploading two videos a week. Honestly I think at times he struggles with material. It's a lot easier for someone like Brendan van Son to produce new material every day as he is constantly on the go. TH isn't. But that goes not just for him but for others too. I was totally bemused the other day when I saw one YouTuber upload a near 10 minute about......a notepad. Yes, you read that right a notepad.

Another YouTuber who has a large following has 6 vlogs on composition. Does it really take that many or is it simply regurgitating material?

It is one of the known factors that to build your subscriber base frequent and regular uploads are a good factor in getting you in front of people. Same time every week just like your favourite TV program. Because people know they can tune in on that day at that time to see their program.

Last edited:
For me Thomas Heaton rarely mentions the gear that he uses, unless there is a change, or something gets damaged. He uses Canon cameras, I don't, does it make any difference! Not is any way. When people change, or consider changing, I find their reasons interesting, either his, or in threads on here. I know why I have what I have, but find the reason's why other use something else interesting. Some may not, and that's fine. :) If he moves to MF then it will make no different to me.

I'm sure if and when TH changes the camera he uses, he will give his reasoning for the change, or not changing, and then that will probably be it until something occurs with its use if he changes. As the videos he puts out are about his photography life, are the tools not of any significance? :thinking: I'm sure we have all carefully chosen the gear that we use, and I doubt anyone just chose the first camera on a shelf in a camera shop, because any camera will do won't it! ;) He will probably name the videos that are about the cameras, so easy enough to avoid. ;)

I find it amusing when someone doesn't like things for being over produced. :LOL: I'm sure a lot of work goes in to making it look so easy, and I appreciate the effort he puts in. If you are going to use drones, and a showing yourself in a scene, do you smile and wave at the camera? That's probably what I would do, but I think it would get irritating very quickly. :LOL: And it would give a different tone to the vids.

For those who don't publish vids that often, he posts two videos a week, try not to be too envious/jealous, of those that can, and still be interesting. ;)

I like seeing his vids in the UK, but I also like seeing vids from abroad. Almost all of the places he visits I will never see, either in the UK or somewhere else. I think it is a sign of his success and development that he is taking pics further afield, and good luck to him. :)

I said it earlier, if he were using the change of camera purely for attention/click bait, then that last video would have been all about the camera he was using, whereas it never got mentioned, with only a close up of the lens at the beginning hinting that he was using something different, and those eagle eyed enough to notice the rear of the cameras was different.

Btw, because it is a YT channel, no one is forced to watch it, think he is playing the camera controversy game, then don't watch. :)

Perfectly sums it up for me .... great post :plus1:

What I find baffling at times is the "need" to constantly change and upgrade gear.

TH has or had a Canon 5D Mark IV. Then goes and invests in a Canon EOS-R. I have to sit and ask myself why on earth anyone who has the 5D Mark IV would go and get the EOS-R.

He didn't, he was given it to trial, by Canon. So no wasted money on his part.

Also, re the rest of your post - what he does is use YouTube as a free/very cheap advertising platform, IMHO, and seems to do it very well (he sold out of his calendars very quickly).

The guy is earning his living from what he does, whether you, I, or anyone else agrees/likes how he does it it is of no consequence but you have to admit, he uses some of tools of his trade (YouTube/Instagram) very well indeed. The fact that he does things the way he does obviously wrankles with some people but, at the end of the day, he seems to be doing OK out of it, and good luck to him. :)

Last edited:

TH has or had a Canon 5D Mark IV. Then goes and invests in a Canon EOS-R. I have to sit and ask myself why on earth anyone who has the 5D Mark IV would go and get the EOS-R. They are practically the same camera; hardly any real difference in weight and mirrorless can't hold a candle to regular mirrored cameras when in comes to weight. Back up, yes? Replacement, no.

Is it down to clickbait? Only he can answer that and he isn't likely to. Look at it like this though. With his large YouTube following he is a marketing departments dream. They don't have to pay him anything and if he says a product is good or bad then the people will follow and it costs them zilch. It's the same with all of us who have a good following. We are giving companies free airtime by mentioning their product and it costs them zilch.

I used to use a Canon 5D Mark II until late August when I switched for a 5D Mark IV. I switched because the time had come, technology had moved on and there were things such as the 4K video that had huge appeal. Yes, there is a crop factor on that camera and it is annoying BUT it is still usable.

As was mentioned earlier it is NOT the gear at work but YOU behind the camera. There is also an element then of post-production skills that too will have a hand in the final product. Speaking of which, when he mentioned recently about his lack of knowledge of PS etc then it's a trap I suspect he will fall into quite quickly. Go off and learn about luminosity masks without ever really understanding the inner workings of PS. Something not just he but a lot of others fall into. Honestly folks, go and tell yourselves you know absolutely nothing about PS. Pick up the Adobe book about PS then sit down with Deke McLelland on Lynda.com then watch how you fly with Photoshop. You will be glad you did.

If he is really after the ultimate landscape photography set-up then there are two options. One is to use large format and then scan the images. Or he uses a set-up akin to Joe Cornish whereby he has a Phase One back and a Linhof Techno. Are Phase One likely to treat TH as they do JC? Personally, they are not in the same league at all no matter how many of you may disagree that. And by the way, do you notice Joe's social media presence???

You have to remember that just because someone has a large social media following it doesn't mean that what they are doing is actually cracked up to be the same thing. Greg Whitton doesn't have the same following on YouTube but I think that Greg produces far superior images to what TH does. Is that right and proper? There are also many other people out there who are complete unknowns and again they are producing high quality work that puts TH's to shame. I had a gentleman on a workshop earlier this year who was a hill walker and opportunist photographer as he called himself. No social media presence. Doesn't sell his work etc BUT what he showed blew away TH. Yes, TH does some nice work BUT is it really that defining?

What TH does is that he gets people out and that can't be denied. But I personally don't understand this hero worship that he is afforded. Is that and other comments above going to cause stern comments. Yep but honestly I think people need to take a step back here and not get caught up in this social media crazy world.

Edit. Forgot. Uploading two videos a week. Honestly I think at times he struggles with material. It's a lot easier for someone like Brendan van Son to produce new material every day as he is constantly on the go. TH isn't. But that goes not just for him but for others too. I was totally bemused the other day when I saw one YouTuber upload a near 10 minute about......a notepad. Yes, you read that right a notepad.

Another YouTuber who has a large following has 6 vlogs on composition. Does it really take that many or is it simply regurgitating material?

It is one of the known factors that to build your subscriber base frequent and regular uploads are a good factor in getting you in front of people. Same time every week just like your favourite TV program. Because people know they can tune in on that day at that time to see their program.
A lot of what you say Sounds like sour grapes because TH is more popular than you and your "Buddies"

As has already been said he didn’t buy the EOS-R same as he didn’t buy the Nikon in his last review, he has them on loan. He has been saying for ages that he has been looking for a dedicated landscape set-up as when he bought the 5D4 he was shooting weddings, portraits etc. As someone that has switched from DSLR to Mirrorless I can definitely see why he would go from 5D4 to EOS-R providing the technical specs supported the change, which in his viewing doesn’t. I also wouldn’t agree that he is a marketing companies dream as he rarely talks about equipment and openly admits not not being at all techy. He’s even dropped the whole Square Space thing.

As to the whole Social Media thing, I think you are very much missing a whole bunch of todays industry and culture, how often does the business forum say that running a successful business is partly about photography but largely about marketing and customer engagement. You Tube combines those, its no co-incidence that todays young millionaires are coming from You Tube, in fact the highest earner is a 7 Year Old who reviews toys! He earned $22million in 2018. You also advocate the use of Social Media as a tool for learning after all thats what Lynda.com is, just packaged differently.

I don’t “Hero Worship” him as you put it, but find his videos inspirational and enjoy listening to him talk about his creative/thought process it shows a practical application of composition that is much more interesting than the numerous videos rambling on about the Rule of Thirds and so on. Long may they continue.

He's becoming a marketing guy, that's the aim of his YT channel to earn money as day job and to sell his pricey workshop.

Yeah, god damn people who develop a product and provide potential customers with a way of engaging with it, which is also entertaining and doesn't force them to into actually buiying anything, How very dare they.

Yeah, god damn people who develop a product and provide potential customers with a way of engaging with it, which is also entertaining and doesn't force them to into actually buiying anything, How very dare they.
They're getting nothing from me for free I tell thee, nothing.....well, aside from my time watching the vlogs and whining about them on internet forums. But nothing else!

I'd probably agree with a lot of that Julian - the hero worship thing that some afford him is bizarre given his work though I think it's more indicative of modern society and it's relationship with social media than anything else. It's not what you produce but how many eyes you can get it in front of which he's done very successfully. What's terribly sad is there's a lot of folk who follow these YouTube vlogs whose experience of Landscape Photography solely exists on there. As a viewer if all you ever do is watch landscape vlogs then you probably will think his stuff is amazing as on the whole the stuff on YouTube for the most part is dire.

Photography 'success' in a commercial aspect is now more than ever not really based on your ability with a camera but more how you can manipulate the various social media streams to your advantage. Your example of Joe Cornish (whilst I agree miles away from TH) is a guy who made his name long before digital and whilst his work is of undoubted quality I think he along with many others of the landscape establishment would have a much harder go of it now, it's so much harder to stand out. He's not really under any pressure to have a SM presence. And even if your work is amazing, there's so much more pressure to sell it well. You can be the best photographer in the world but if you're a crap salesman you're unlikely to succeed, not just in Photography but any other business. I'm having to learn that the hard way myself running a gallery full time.

Last edited:

Firstly, wow! :eek:

As has been said, he borrowed the EOS R and said he was hoping to blag other gear to try.

Is it down to clickbait? Only he can answer that and he isn't likely to. Look at it like this though.
Yep, only he can say, but my imho it was not aimed as click bait, just telling people what is going on in his photography life. And the camera is an important part, not the most important obviously, but the decision to change a camera, and the knock on effects that could have, should be mentioned on a vlog about him and his photography.

With his large YouTube following he is a marketing departments dream. They don't have to pay him anything and if he says a product is good or bad then the people will follow and it costs them zilch. It's the same with all of us who have a good following. We are giving companies free airtime by mentioning their product and it costs them zilch.
We all use products, and those that post YT vids show themselves using things. What's the point, because as he is not being paid to use things, he can also say negative things about stuff, which I assume would not be as dreamy for marketing departments.

By you! ;)But what if some doesn't think that. Not saying this in TH's case, as he has another Canon for his videos, but just pointing out that what works for you, may not work for others. That is why there is not just one camera. :rolleyes:

As was mentioned earlier it is NOT the gear at work but YOU behind the camera.
Why did you change from the 5DII for the 5DIV? :thinking: I don't think anyone, nevermind Thomas Heaton himself, has ever said that the camera is more important than the person behind the camera, but technology moves on, for him, for you, for me, and it TH's case, what and how you uses a camera may change too. The 5DIV is not the only tool available, and it is definitely not the pinnacle of what is available for some people atm too. If it works for you, great, but other people can have different opinions

There is also an element then of post-production skills that too will have a hand in the final product. Speaking of which, when he mentioned recently about his lack of knowledge of PS etc then it's a trap I suspect he will fall into quite quickly. Go off and learn about luminosity masks without ever really understanding the inner workings of PS. Something not just he but a lot of others fall into. Honestly folks, go and tell yourselves you know absolutely nothing about PS. Pick up the Adobe book about PS then sit down with Deke McLelland on Lynda.com then watch how you fly with Photoshop. You will be glad you did.
Someone has seen that they may be lacking in an aspect of their work, and that they plan to improve, and you are already predicting negativity. :rolleyes:Not everyone needs to know the inner workings of Photoshop to use it effectively. Yes, it would probably help to know how and why something is having an effect in PS, but lets wait and see what he does with Photoshop eh!

In your opinion as to what the 'ultimate landscape photography set-up' is. Again what may work for you may not work for someone else.

Has Thomas Heaton ever made claims to be in any way compared to any other photographer! :thinking: Because I haven't. :confused: :rolleyes: Where has anyone here, or anywhere else, said he was the greatest landscape photographer! :thinking:

Defining! :confused: A lot of people like a photography vlogger more than some other photographer vlogger and you ask 'is that right and proper?' :confused: It is just the way it is. If you want to highlight other vloggers you may deem worthy of more exposure, make a thread about them rather than having digs at someone else at the same time.

Thomas Heaton must be doing something better than others not as successful on YT. As for some random someone having better pics than a Pro, I could say the same about some of your work if I were to have cheap digs of someone on internet. You seem to be doing OK for yourself, as does Thomas Heaton.

Hero worship! Who is doing that? :confused:He seems like a nice chap who takes good pics, and has entertaining videos. I don't understand this vitriol you seem to have against him and his success.

Edit. Forgot. Uploading two videos a week. Honestly I think at times he struggles with material. It's a lot easier for someone like Brendan van Son to produce new material every day as he is constantly on the go. TH isn't. But that goes not just for him but for others too.
How do you know how busy Thomas Heaton is or isn't! I'm sure he doesn't document everything he does, unlike it seems, Brendan van Son. Different types of vloggers doing different things.

I was totally bemused the other day when I saw one YouTuber upload a near 10 minute about......a notepad. Yes, you read that right a notepad.

Surprise, there is a load of **** on YT! :rolleyes:

And do you know why people keep coming back and watching! It is not because it is on every week (or twice a week in this case), it is because they are entertained on a regular basis. If he was not good at what he was doing, and as you insinuate, posting too frequently so as to have the quality suffer, his viewing numbers would go down.

Btw, I'm very surprised you watch his vids, and it seems continue to watch them, because you sound like you have a low a opinion of him and his work, be that photography or the quality of his videos. :thinking:

I'd probably agree with a lot of that Julian - the hero worship thing that some afford him is bizarre given his work though I think it's more indicative of modern society and it's relationship with social media than anything else. It's not what you produce but how many eyes you can get it in front of which he's done very successfully. What's terribly sad is there's a lot of folk who follow these YouTube vlogs whose experience of Landscape Photography solely exists on there. As a viewer if all you ever do is watch landscape vlogs then you probably will think his stuff is amazing as on the whole the stuff on YouTube for the most part is dire.
Really, where are these people that you and Julian keep referring to saying that Thomas Heaton's pictures are 'amazing' ! Because I haven't seen any. :thinking:

You can be the best photographer in the world but if you're a crap salesman you're unlikely to succeed, not just in Photography but any other business. I'm having to learn that the hard way myself running a gallery full time.
Always been the way, though at least now you may be more in control of your own destiny, as there are many ways to market yourself. The Art world in particular is the area where marketing and BS/ hype has the most influence over talent. Imho of course. ;) :LOL:

Last edited:

Photography 'success' in a commercial aspect is now more than ever not really based on your ability with a camera but more how you can manipulate the various social media streams to your advantage. Your example of Joe Cornish (whilst I agree miles away from TH) is a guy who made his name long before digital and whilst his work is of undoubted quality I think he along with many others of the landscape establishment would have a much harder go of it now, it's so much harder to stand out. He's not really under any pressure to have a SM presence. And even if your work is amazing, there's so much more pressure to sell it well. You can be the best photographer in the world but if you're a crap salesman you're unlikely to succeed, not just in Photography but any other business. I'm having to learn that the hard way myself running a gallery full time.

You have made the same mistake as Julian and equated people watching THs videos with "hero worship" and heralding his work as completely ground breaking. You seem to think his success is entirely down to being able to insidiously creep into our consciousness on social media rather than his skills as a photographer which just makes me think you've never watched any of his videos.

To suggest that it's "sad" that people watch and enjoy photography vlogs without delving further just comes across as incredibly arrogant to me. I think it's amazing that people can follow photography channels on YouTube - I personally wouldn't have bought a camera had it not been for YouTube, and the fact that they don't produce world class images every time they take out their camera does not bother me one bit. I take the same approach when I take out my camera...photography for me is a meditation and if I come away with a great image then I'm happy, if not then so be it.

Being able to market yourself effectively has always been the case in every industry ever, so that's nothing new or surprising.

You have made the same mistake as Julian and equated people watching THs videos with "hero worship" and heralding his work as completely ground breaking. You seem to think his success is entirely down to being able to insidiously creep into our consciousness on social media rather than his skills as a photographer which just makes me think you've never watched any of his videos.

To suggest that it's "sad" that people watch and enjoy photography vlogs without delving further just comes across as incredibly arrogant to me. I think it's amazing that people can follow photography channels on YouTube - I personally wouldn't have bought a camera had it not been for YouTube, and the fact that they don't produce world class images every time they take out their camera does not bother me one bit. I take the same approach when I take out my camera...photography for me is a meditation and if I come away with a great image then I'm happy, if not then so be it.

Being able to market yourself effectively has always been the case in every industry ever, so that's nothing new or surprising.

I have watched various videos of his. And my case still stands. It is good that he inspires people to get out but the end product is nothing special. And yes, I'm sure people can pull me up on my own work but then we can all do that. I am my own worst critic.

It seems to me though that when it comes to this particular subject that no one is allowed an opinion that goes against the flow. Someone speaks up and they are vilified. But that is the day that we live in and that is social media.

Earlier someone said why did I go Canon 5D Mark IV from the Mark II. Very simple. I have a huge investment in Canon glass and it is easier, and more economical, to stick with Canon. But also mirrorless cameras despite their nice dynamic range cannot cut it battery wise.

Again earlier on someone fired at me saying I have sour grapes. Really? So as you all can see TH lives the dream of making money from YouTube/ Photography and travelling etc. But then so do I albeit most of my earnings come from working with my camera and selling the resulting work from it. This year I have been to Scotland twice; Berlin; Budapest twice; Tuscany; Martinique; Provence; Poland; Mongolia; Dolomites and last week Japan before finally being back in the UK. Please tell me again about grapes when I am a working photographer plying his craft?

Social media is creating a monster. I witnessed this in full-on mode whilst in Kyoto last week. People vying to get their Instagram shot or whatever else. It is very strange out there and it isn't going to get any better.

I have watched various videos of his. And my case still stands. It is good that he inspires people to get out but the end product is nothing special. And yes, I'm sure people can pull me up on my own work but then we can all do that. I am my own worst critic.

It seems to me though that when it comes to this particular subject that no one is allowed an opinion that goes against the flow. Someone speaks up and they are vilified. But that is the day that we live in and that is social media.

Earlier someone said why did I go Canon 5D Mark IV from the Mark II. Very simple. I have a huge investment in Canon glass and it is easier, and more economical, to stick with Canon. But also mirrorless cameras despite their nice dynamic range cannot cut it battery wise.

Again earlier on someone fired at me saying I have sour grapes. Really? So as you all can see TH lives the dream of making money from YouTube/ Photography and travelling etc. But then so do I albeit most of my earnings come from working with my camera and selling the resulting work from it. This year I have been to Scotland twice; Berlin; Budapest twice; Tuscany; Martinique; Provence; Poland; Mongolia; Dolomites and last week Japan before finally being back in the UK. Please tell me again about grapes when I am a working photographer plying his craft?

Social media is creating a monster. I witnessed this in full-on mode whilst in Kyoto last week. People vying to get their Instagram shot or whatever else. It is very strange out there and it isn't going to get any better.

Apparantly it’s also contributing to the growth of mental health issues but that’s a whole different issue. Welcome to the 21st Century

I haven't made any mistake - the key word I used being 'some' people watching his videos which is of course absolutely true, which is only exacerbated by the fact they only see Landscape Photography through the medium of YouTube. I've actually watched quite a lot of his videos, his success as I see it comes down to many factors but in the main it's the ability to put a well-produced video together that tells a story that connects with the viewer which I'd alluded to in my comment. The photography for the most part comes a distant second in that regard, which is inevitable when putting vlogs together - the photography will nearly always be compromised. There's a lot of skill putting together high-quality vlogs which I would never seek to dismiss, it's an extremely time consuming process which I've discussed with a couple of prominent vloggers in the past.

And I'd stand by what I say, it is incredibly sad, not in a mocking sense which wasn't how it was meant, more that there's a wealth of quality photography out there, far greater and of more variety than you'll see for the most part on YouTube which a lot people miss out on, and from what I've seen in the comments on a lot of YouTube videos seem quite closed off to for whatever reason. Perhaps like someone earlier mentioned they like to feel part of a tribe or gang, I don't know. I recently bumped into a Landscape Vlogger on the mountains where we got chatting and I'd suggested a few people he should take a look at, a week later he couldn't have thanked me more that he'd had his eyes opened a bit as he too only really took in photography via vlogs, either making them or watching them.

I'm pleased YouTube inspired you to get out, that can only be a good thing.

Last edited:
Good to hear, i know others who told me the opposite.

I spent an evening and the following morning out shooting sunset/sunrise with him and a few hours in between in a pup with him and Charlotte whilst he was here in Northern Ireland.
I found him to be a really humble and down to earth guy, willing to share knowledge and help with anything, he wasn't shy about buying rounds of drink and we may have gave him too many irish whiskies as he slept in the following morning!

Fair doos to you for earning your living from photography. Doesnt mean you can't have sour grapes though.
I'd say get on with it, and stop worrying about Thomas Heaton.
I'm sure he's not worrying about you.

Again earlier on someone fired at me saying I have sour grapes

Yeah, I got that one as well, when I queried the whole Thomas Heaton scene. It comes across almost as hero worship here.

And before I get slammed again, I'll add that I've watched some of his videos and he comes across as a decent guy who takes fine photographs......

Yeah, I got that one as well, when I queried the whole Thomas Heaton scene. It comes across almost as hero worship here.

And before I get slammed again, I'll add that I've watched some of his videos and he comes across as a decent guy who takes fine photographs......

Why does it have to be a ‘scene’ or ‘hero worship’? I’d rather watch TH than x-factor or some other crap. If that’s a problem or makes me a hero worshipper, so be it.

I prefer not to focus on his videos but his pictures. I am not a "video" fan having no desire to make them but looking at his pictures I like a lot of them as subjects, compositions and processing wise I think he produces tasteful work. Some of the woodland shots I abhor but it's a genre I find ghastly but his big view shots are good.

Take it however you like.

I probably speak for the majority on here that are probably a little irritated that they cannot discuss something they enjoy without being labelled with childish terms. I don't honestly have the faintest idea what brings people like you to threads like this. Why don't you use your energy on something you do actually enjoy?

Back