Together in death..Not for the squeamish.

It was only ever "a sport" to the people who hunted with horses and hounds. For everybody else,it is/was a necessity, no "sporting" ideoligies about it at all.

I didn't expect this image when clicking on the link. Striking and powerful.

I don't suppose this is quite the right place for this, but, well, it seems as good as place as any other given the way converstaion has gone in this thread

I was directed to this link, and thought some here might want to comment....

clicky

Last edited:
You tar all with the same brush then?

Afterall, it was reported in the media,so it must be true against all who are employed in this field?

Have you any idea what you are talking about?

Have you any idea the slurs you are casting against people who deserve better?

Or are you clueless?

:shrug:

Sorry.........edit................living in London, you must know everything.

Calm down, calm down...he only posted a link!

Of course there are bad people in the profession....as there are in most professions (just look at the bankers...) and it is good to see some of them being brought to justice!

Unless a post has gone missing I don't think there was any intent meant..just an article to aide discussion :)

I don't supposer this is quite the right place for this, but, well, it seems as good as place as any other given the way converstaion has gone in this thread

I was directed to this link, and thought some here might want to comment....

clicky

Disgraceful quite honestly. However, there's no way that is typical of shooters or of keepers - quite the contrary in fact. There's rotten apples in every barrel.

A few years ago, one of the best clay shooters this country has ever produced, olympic/national standard, was caught with a freezer full of every protected species you can imagine, with which he was supplying the taxidermy trade. he was dealt with severely by the courts, but the outright condemnation of the shooting community afterwards, meant he was barred from the CPSA, (Clay Pigeon Shooters Association) which meant that his clay shooting career was over at any meaningful level.

The vast majority of shooters are true conservationists in a very real sense, often far more so than their armchair critics.

Calm down, calm down...he only posted a link!

Of course there are bad people in the profession....as there are in most professions (just look at the bankers...) and it is good to see some of them being brought to justice!

Unless a post has gone missing I don't think there was any intent meant..just an article to aide discussion :)

I am quite calm thanks Phil.........:)

Disgraceful quite honestly. However, there's no way that is typical of shooters or of keepers - quite the contrary in fact. There's rotten apples in every barrel.

A few years ago, one of the best clay shooters this country has ever produced, olympic/national standard, was caught with a freezer full of every protected species you can imagine, with which he was supplying the taxidermy trade. he was dealt with severely by the courts, but the outright condemnation of the shooting community afterwards, meant he was barred from the CPSA, (Clay Pigeon Shooters Association) which meant that his clay shooting career was over at any meaningful level.

The vast majority of shooters are true conservationists in a very real sense, often far more so than their armchair critics.

I agree with you there, I have come across this myself at a certain shoot where the Head Keeper was a Buzzard hater and I was asked to shoot them on sight whilst I was roost shooting wood pigeons with an air rifle. There is a misconception about Buzzards, they are actually carrion eaters and do not kill game, to be truthful game birds are either got at by foxes or would you believe, owls.

Owls will kill a game bird but will only suck out the brains of it's prey, unfortunately this leaves a nice meal for a buzzard to find if not found by another creature, this looks as though the buzzard has killed the gamebird. I have actually seen this going on and then heard the game keeper blaming the buzzard for the deed.

I have seen foxes actually take game right in front of me and had owls sat beside me while in a hide and in total camo at dusk.

As CT says, most of us shooters have conservation at the top of our list but every activity will have a rogue element.

Nev

Last edited:
You tar all with the same brush then?

Afterall, it was reported in the media,so it must be true against all who are employed in this field?

Have you any idea what you are talking about?

Have you any idea the slurs you are casting against people who deserve better?

Or are you clueless?

:shrug:

Sorry.........edit................living in London, you must know everything.

not at all mate, quite the oppersite in fact! - was more a case of backing up what you've told us here already, showing that there are people within the business that really do care how these things are dealt with :shrug: You did actually read the story there didn't you?

I honestly thought that you'd have been pleased to see a story about people within your trade making efforts to stamp out cruelty and unnecessary killing that some obviously appear think is OK? Seems I was wrong :(

Oh, and as for my living in London? WTF has that got to do with anything? Now look whos tarring everyone with the same brush?

Last edited:
Fair comment, I was wrong in my previous post,apologies.

One of the guns on the last shoot shall not be welcome again after taking a potshot at one of our sparrowhawks,I think we only have the one pair.

I guess it cuts both ways,there are some idiots in all sectors.

I was a member for years of a shooting syndicate up in the hills in Powys, and we had a breeding pair of Peregrines which took a few pheasants, but no-one begrudged them, and anyone who lifted a gun in their direction would have been going home on a one way trip.

The worst incident I ever saw was when I was wildfowling on The Solway, shooting Pink Foot mostly, when a guy jumped up and started blasting away at a Hooper Swan despite a dozen other shooters screaming at him. The swan came down on tbe foreshore. The only thing which stopped the guy being thrown in the sea was he was crying like a baby and wanting to know why he couildn't just bury it.

A bunch of local shooters marched him round to the cop shop with the carcass, where the police charged and bailed him. The cops had no facility to preserve the carcass, so they photographed it and gave it one of the local wildfowlers. I wouldn't imagine it would be too tasty. :puke:

My guess is that most shooters belong to the BASC (British Association for Shooting & Conservation) and I think the title is a clue to the attitude of most shooters.

Of course their are rogues, and irresponsible people. I've seen people take bad shots at foxes because they simply don't care whether foxes have a humane death (in this case a bad shot is one that's out of shotgun range or where they've used clay shot or where they haven't had a clear shot) but these people are in a tiny minority and other shooters who see it always offer a great deal of advice on their future conduct.

In other words, most shooters do care about conservation, will only kill when necessary and take pride in killing humanely.

One of the worst cases I have heard of recently ( and I am still hunting for the link)
A buzzard in a larson trap was reported the the RSPCA
who then set up a "watch" on the trap to catch and prosicute whoever turned up

now, the trap had neither water or food, illegle in its self BTW.
No-one showed and the buzzard died!
The RSPCA were so intent on catching the "offender" on 2 counts ( no food / water & trapping a protected species)
that they never thought to released the buzzard or feed it!
How's that for double standards!

Back