weekly Toothie's 2016 52 - Living World

With another strike tomorrow I am posting my topical image. This was taken off the neck of a junior doctor at the end of a very busy shift and taken with and edited on my iPhone. The background is the worktop in the clinical room at work. Ideally I would have liked to have left the name badge on which I feel would have make it more powerful however, hospital policy prevents this and I didn't want either myself or the doctor I stole it from to lose their job. Support your doctors one day your life might depend on how much sleep they have had...
Topical by -Toothie-

. @Cobra the focus is on the pollen bits as they continue the life of the species so your right the flower is a little soft :)
Actually I was including the stamen in that, I hope you don't feel stigma-tised by my comments
Sorry :coat:

:D

Hi Ruth... some great shots there, I do like them.

Camouflage is really good for what is a simple image. The composition, angle of webbing, inclusion of zips etc. really just works. I also like that your lighting accentuates the texture of the material. For a straightforward image, it's very well worked :)
Living world is a lovely composition but I'd like a touch wider DOF personally and maybe a squeeze more shadow detail. I wonder if it might be slightly front-focused as the nearest petal has parts which are sharp, yet the stamen look less so? I do like the way you've positioned it in frame and the background, though :)
Simple one for topical which works. Well done for getting that out (edited) from an iPhone - I wouldn't have a scooby how to do that!

Last edited:
Camouflage - Certainly fits the theme and nicely composed.
Living World - Beautiful colours and lovely composition.

Camo ... works. Good detail.

Living World ... not so sure ... about lighting & focus, great colours tho.

Hi Ruth

Sorry for not keeping up to date with these - so many threads I always seem to miss one or two each round of comments - sorry !

Happiness - For some people, yes ! Nice simple and strong image for the theme

Abandoned - what a pity it looks like a nice house ..... Definitely abandoned and like the composition

Danger - literally ! like the POV and the contrast of the white sky and dark pole with the colourful sign

Camo - very nice - good solid interpretation and and like the crop / composition and positioning of the zips

Living World - lovely colours in this one - quite abstract with the positioning and crop of the flower and protruding stamen - I like it - well taken - only niggle is perhaps could do with a nudge on the exposure slider but no biggie :)

Topical - very indeed and another quite strong image with the green contrasting on the BG

Hi Ruth, thank you for dropping into my thread and commenting a couple of times and I'm sorry it's taken so long to return the visit. I'm up to date with my themes now and determined to check out everyone else's threads!

I've looked through your whole thread and picked out a few favourites, and I'll aim to stay up to date now :) You got off to a strong start with the abstract for Metal and striking statue for Captive against that deep blue sky; I like both of those a lot. Happy and Danger both stand out as clear and graphic images, bang on theme and effective, and your Living World image is cleverly composed/cropped with the Lily in the bottom right corner and the stamens pushing up towards the centre. I like the soft light and coloured background too. Finally, Topical is another very clear image that sums up the theme perfectly. You haven't posted for a while so I hope you're not giving up as your thread is off to a strong start and you're not far behind. If I can catch up, you can too :)

Back