Topsy's Dartmoor Rambles

Week 37.

This week I decided to go and find a waterfall on Shavercombe Brook as I have never been to it before. Crossing the River Plym with dry feet was a challenge as was shooting the waterfall in the gloom of the cubby hole it sits in. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

I started at the Gutter Tor refuge Car Park, the light on Sheeps Tor was nice.

002 Sheeps Tor 02-7111 PS Adj.JPG

My route took me out past Ditsworthy Warren House.

005 Ditsworthy Warren House 01-7133 PS Adj.JPG

I then had to try to cross the River Plym and keep my feet dry, it wasn't easy.

006 River Plym 01-7134 PS Adj.JPG

Once across the Plym I found Shavercombe Falls in a deep gully under a bunch of trees heavy with leaf and starving the scene of light.

018 Shavercombe Falls 02-7160 PS Adj.JPG

On the way back I visited the Drizzlecombe Stone Row.

024 Drizzlecombe Stone Row 03-7178 PS Adj.JPG

That's all for this week folks, thanks for looking in.

Last edited:
Week 38.

Poor weather this week with mist and drizzle on strong winds, I decided to go on the North Moor to Shelstone Tor to photograph Black-a-Tor Copse in the West Okement Valley. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

010 Black-a-Tor Copse 02-7205 PS Adj.JPG

The mist was ever present on the way out over Prewley Moor.

002 Prewley Moor 01-7185 PS Adj.JPG

Shelstone Tor.

015 Shelstone Tor 06-2058 PS Adj.JPG

Behind Shelstone is Black Tor and behind that hidden in the mist iy the Yes Tor/High Willhays ridge.

018 Shelstone Tor 09-7242 PS Adj.JPG

Week 39.

A few from this week's photowalk. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Crazywell Pool.

014 Crazywell Pool 01-0549 PS Adj.JPG

View of Burrator Reservoir from Crazywell Pool.

016 Burrator Reservoir 02-5069 PS Adj.JPG

Leather Tor Farm.

004 Leather Tor Farm 02-5048 PS Adj.JPG

Leather Tor Bridge.

022 Leather Tor Bridge 04-5080 PS Adj.JPG

Week 40.

This week I was struck down with a stomach bug that put me out of action most of the week, I was just able to get out on Saturday for a very short walk so I went over to Windy Post via The Wheelwright's Stone getting some shots of Vixen Tor on the way. Hand held only with just my Leica M9s for an easy walk. The clear blue skies weren't helpful but any Port in a storm I needed something for my 52 Challenge. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

The Wheelwright's Stone.

008 Wheelwrights Stone 03-1000690 PS Adj.JPG

Vixen Tor.

005 Vixen Tor 02-1001037 PS Adj.JPG

010 Vixen Tor 04-1001044 PS Adj.JPG

014Vixen Tor 06-1001048 PS Adj.JPG

Windy Post.

012 Windy Post 01-1000699 PS Adj.JPG

Windy Post with a dodgy tummy could have been a problem...

As always, thanks for sharing the shots and story. (Personally, I prefer the natural look to the creamy, LE look on moving water.)

Week 41.

Still a bit under the weather from that stomach bug I decided to do an easy walk this week I went around Wheal Jewel Reservoir then over to Wheal Betsy. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

There was no water in the Reservoir.

003 Wheal Jewel Reservoir 02-1000700 PS Adj.JPG

004 Wheal Jewel Reservoir 03-1000701 PS Adj.JPG

On the way over to Wheal Betsy she was catching some sidelight in the mist of the Valley.

020 Wheal Betsy 01-1001063 PS Adj.JPG

Some from up close.

022 Wheal Betsy 03-1004694 PS Adj.JPG

024 Wheal Betsy 05-1004703 PS Adj.JPG

Very interesting to see the reservoir with no water. I've only ever been there the once, and Wheal Betsy twice I think, because I've never been able to fit them into my usual full day walks. From time to time I'll come down and sweep up a few odd bits and pieces. There was water in Wheal Jewel when I was there but I was a bit underwhelmed. Some of the remains around there were interesting. I walked down from Willsworthy

Very interesting to see the reservoir with no water. I've only ever been there the once, and Wheal Betsy twice I think, because I've never been able to fit them into my usual full day walks. From time to time I'll come down and sweep up a few odd bits and pieces. There was water in Wheal Jewel when I was there but I was a bit underwhelmed. Some of the remains around there were interesting. I walked down from Willsworthy
I've lived on Dartmoor for around 40 years and this is the first time I've been to Wheal Jewel Reservoir............. and it was empty. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Week 42.

This week I ventured a little further out over the Moor taking in Ingra and Leeden Tors, although relatively flat for Dartmoor the winds were brutal. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Ingra Tor Quarry.

012 Quarry at Ingra Tor 03-7272 PS Adj.JPG

Ingra Tor and a Bridge to Nowhere.

018 Bridge to Nowhere 03-7286 PS Adj.JPG

Leeden Tor.

026 Leeden Tor 08-2098 PS Adj.JPG

029 Leeden Tor 11-2101 PS Adj.JPG

Week 43.

This week I was back to normal so I decided to go out to Kestor Rock and do a curcuit taking in The Round Pound, Middle Tor, The Long Stone (BS) and Scorhill Circle & Tor. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Kestor Rock.

004 Kestor Rock 01-2114 PS Adj.JPG

The Long Stone (BS).

011 Long Stone (BS) 02-2130 PS Adj.JPG

There were some rivers to cross but fortunately there were bridges.
017 Wallabrook Clapper Bridge 01-2133 PS Adj.JPG

Scorhill Circle.

021 Scorhill Circle 02-2155 PS Adj.JPG

Scorhill Tor.

022 Scorhill Tor 01-2159 PS Adj.JPG

Glad you're well on the way back to (what passes for!) normal.

Week 44.

This week once again I wassqueezing my Photowalk in before a rain front came in, I stayed close to home for a short (ish) walk around North Hessary Tor near Princetown. I also took in Hollow and Rundlestone Tors plus Foggintor Quarry. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

The walk started with Hollow Tor in Fog.

002 Hollow Tor 02-7323 PS Adj.JPG

004 Hollow Tor 04-7327 PS Adj.JPG

Then on to Rundlestone Tor also in Fog.

010 Rundlestone Tor 04-7341 PS Adj.JPG

Then up to North Hessary Tor again in Fog.

016 North Hessary Tor 05-7360 PS Adj.JPG

There are good views from North Hessary Tor looking to the Southwest once the Fog had cleared, that rain front was approaching though.

020 Sharpitor & Leather Tor Vista 01-7372 PS Adj.JPG

Foggintor Quarry, I didn't linger long here as the rain was fast approaching..

023 Foggintor Quarry 03-7384 PS Adj.JPG

I first went to Hessary Tor in about 1959. Only thing it meant to me then is that is where the TV signal came from :) (My father had a TV/appliance shop in Newton Ferrers)

I first went to Hessary Tor in about 1959. Only thing it meant to me then is that is where the TV signal came from :) (My father had a TV/appliance shop in Newton Ferrers)
Other than this walk I've only been up to it once before about 20 years ago for work (we had a radio repeater on the mast). Odd since it is only 7 miles from where I live.

Other than this walk I've only been up to it once before about 20 years ago for work (we had a radio repeater on the mast). Odd since it is only 7 miles from where I live.
May I ask what the repeater was for? I meant what frequency, sorry

It was so much better before all that fencing went up at the mast, especially that chain link stuff. How did they get away with that? Many years ago I walked there in mist so thick I was walking a bearing using rocks, stands of reeds, sheep - whatever was on the right line no more than the very few feet away I could see. I nearly tripped over one of the anchors before I saw it. Just as well the fencing wasn't there - I'd probably have chequered scarring across my nose now :LOL:

It was so much better before all that fencing went up at the mast, especially that chain link stuff. How did they get away with that? Many years ago I walked there in mist so thick I was walking a bearing using rocks, stands of reeds, sheep - whatever was on the right line no more than the very few feet away I could see. I nearly tripped over one of the anchors before I saw it. Just as well the fencing wasn't there - I'd probably have chequered scarring across my nose now :LOL:
I never went up before the fencing was there, it must have been the dreaded H&S that influenced it.

I never went up before the fencing was there, it must have been the dreaded H&S that influenced it.

There's an older image on Google maps that shows wooden fencing. Perhaps a sheep saw me nearly trip over the anchor that day and it's all my fault, though I did go back on a blue sky and sunshine day (I think it was a few years later........ :LOL:) and take another photo from as close to the same spot as I could remember and there was nothing there then either. I am talking over 20 years ago - bu**er I'm old :LOL:

Week 45.

This week I went out to the Willsworthy Ranges because there was no firing, I went up Nat Tor to shoot Tavy Cleave and Ger Tor with my Bronica SQ-Ai loaded with Fuji Provia 100F. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

This is one of the film shots.

002 Tavy Cleave 02-000004 PS Adj.JPG

The set up (it rained a bit).

009 Bronica Setup at Tavy Cleave 02-7411 PS Adj.JPG

Some shots of the rain clouds (and Rainbows).

019 Rain Clouds 01-7446 PS Adj.JPG

001 Rainbow at Lane End Farm 01-7397 PS Adj.JPG

I also went back to Wheal Jewel Reservoir to see it with water in.

022 Wheal Jewel Reservoir 03-2179 PS Adj.JPG

021 Wheal Jewel Reservoir 02-7449 PS Adj.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Week 46.

This week I was once again pressed for time as there was only a small gap in the stormy weather so I opted for a relatively short walk not far from home. I went up to Feather Tor and on to Heckwood Tor taking in Windy Post and a couple of shots of my favourite Tor, Vixen. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Vixen Tor.

004 Vixen Tor 02-7480 PS Adj.JPG

Windy Post.

003 Windy Post 01-2200 PS Adj.JPG

Feather Tor.

006 Feather Tor 01-2215 PS Adj.JPG

That gap in the stormy weather closing.

018 Stormy Skies 01-7508 PS Adj.JPG

Thanks for looking in.

Week 47.

This week it was at least dry so I opted for a walk out to Fox Tor via Nun's Cross Farm. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Fox Tor.

012 Fox Tor 04-2238 PS Adj.JPG

015 Fox Tor 07-2251 PS Adj.JPG

Some drama in the skies on the way out.

001 Sunlight Breaking Through 01-7510 PS Adj.JPG

Nun's Cross Farm.

004 Nun's Cross Farm 02-7520 PS Adj.JPG

Bridges on the way back.

024 Boundary Wall on Way Back 05-2267 PS Adj.JPG

028 Devonport Leat (Bridge) 03-2274 PS Adj.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Week 48.

This week we had some drama at home so so I wasn’t able to get out until Wednesday and I really didn’t want to go too far from home so I decided to pull a location off the back burner which I had been meaning to get to with B&W film for some time, Powdermills old Gunpowder Factory Ruins unfortunately the film scans are not back at time of writing so I'll use the digital copies I made at the time. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

This is the sign at the road entrance to the old Powdermills it is now a Pottery and Cafe but has been a Foundry.

001 Powder Mills 01-1004705 PS Adj.JPG

One of the many ruins inside the grounds.

011 Powder Mills 11-1000750 PS Adj.JPG

The Cherry Brook runs through the grounds and provided the water for the Gunpowder processing.

016 Powder Mills 16-1000759 PS Adj.JPG

The old Clapper Bridge access to one of the smelting chimneys.

018 Powder Mills 18-1000769 PS Adj.JPG

I did shoot this on the Bronica but as I said the scans are not back yet, this was shot on my little Leica D-Lux Typ109 in B&W Square (RAW) from the same location.

005 Powder Mills 05-1020050 PS Adj.JPG

I didn't finish the film in the ruins so on the way home I stopped off in Princetown to get a shot of the Prison on film.

007 HMP Princetown 01-1020053 PS Adj.JPG

That's all for this week folks, I'll reply with the film shots when I get them (providing they turn out ok). Thanks for looking in.

Glad you avoided (or escaped from!) the Hairy Hand...

Fascinating place. I do love an old ruin, especially one with an industrial heritage. I've only ever had a brief visit there and didn't get round everything. I really need to devote a day it, in some decent weather so I can get my sketch book out. Thanks for the reminder

Week 49.

This week the weather was dry but cloudy, I decided to take my Fujifilm GFX 50Ss out to Rippon Tor to shoot some panoramas of Saddle Tor and Haytor Rocks. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

009 Haytor from Rippon Tor 05-0599 PS Adj.JPG

010 Haytor from Rippon Tor 06-2405 PS Adj.JPG

I also went up Top Tor and across to Pil Tor, the clouds to the Southwest were quite dramatic.

016 Pil Tor from Top Tor 01-8238 PS Adj.JPG

Those clouds put some nice light on Saddle Tor as I watched from Top Tor.

022 Saddle Tor from Top Tor 03-8257 PS Adj.JPG

That's all for this week folks. Thanks for looking in.

Week 50.

This week I set off to find 2 Tors that are not named on the OS Maps and I had previously not heard of, they were Blakey Tor and Round Hill Tor just to the East of Princetown. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

They sit either side of the Blackabrook River.

002 Blackabrook Valley 01-7570 PS Adj.JPG

Blakey Tor.

013 Blakey Tor 02-7589 PS Adj.JPG

016 Blakey Tor 05-7597 PS Adj.JPG

Round Hill Tor.

020 Round Hill Tor & Blackabrook 01-7605 PS Adj.JPG

022 Round Hill Tor 02-7614 PS Adj.JPG

That's all for this week folks. Thanks for looking in.

Blakey Tor is marked on the OS map. I walked that track (out to Fairies Bridge and beyond) many years ago and the only comment I made was 'the track's terrible and there's nothing to see except the ruined Crock of Gold kistvaen'. Hmmmmm

Blakey Tor is marked on the OS map. I walked that track (out to Fairies Bridge and beyond) many years ago and the only comment I made was 'the track's terrible and there's nothing to see except the ruined Crock of Gold kistvaen'. Hmmmmm
Hi Jan, neither are named on my OL28 1:25,000, I did read that they had been added to the latest version so I bought a new one only to find they aren't on the 2021 version either. Which Map do you have with them on?

It is marked on my electronic version of OS maps.
As Brentor I have an online subscription. I print A4 sections as and when I need them and the phone app is very useful though I don't use it for route finding
I just re-downloaded the digital OS Map from the new map code, still no Blakey Tor. What version/year are your maps? My new one is 2021. I can see the symbols for rocky features at the grid (on both maps) but no name.

My paper map is from 2016 and is 1:50K. Blakey Tor is not marked. The online version is 1:25K and I assume it is constantly updated.

Back