Tower Bridge sunrise

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
Not an original subject but not far from me, so I headed to Tower Bridge early this morning. Sunrise was only briefly interesting but it was very calm so there were passable reflections - which is pretty unusual down there - so I was pleased with the trip!

Any comments / critique welcome, thanks.

1. Tower bridge sunrise by Mike Smedley, on Flickr

2. Tower Bridge reflections by Mike Smedley, on Flickr

3. City Hall & Tower Bridge by Mike Smedley, on Flickr

And on the way home while I was acting the tourist I stopped off at Canary Wharf for the traditional tube shot...

4. Canary Wharf tube by Mike Smedley, on Flickr

Really nice set. Number one and three are my picks.

Quick question about the tube if I may. Was that handheld or on a tripod? I ask as I wonder what the tolerance is there for tripods in less busy times?

A great set of an iconic landmark. Finished off nicely with the underground escalators. What could be more London than these and you have captured it very well.

Great set of images Mike, liking all of these very much.(y)

George.

Very nice set. I do like B&W anyway, but the underground station offers a very photogenic opportunity, which is well taken.

Fantastic set.
Yes, they are locations seen again and again but it does not mean you haven't done them justice. You have.

Nice varied set, love the colours.

What a cracking set of images you have posted up love the whole set GR8 work !

Love No3 but they are all excellent (y)

Thanks all for the comments

Quick question about the tube if I may. Was that handheld or on a tripod? I ask as I wonder what the tolerance is there for tripods in less busy times?

It was handheld - well actually I was sat on the floor against a pillar :) If staff see you with a tripod they will move you on, but if you're out of the way and the station is quiet you'll probably be ok for a few minutes. Expect them to be very strict on platforms though for obvious reasons.

Thanks all for the comments

It was handheld - well actually I was sat on the floor against a pillar :) If staff see you with a tripod they will move you on, but if you're out of the way and the station is quiet you'll probably be ok for a few minutes. Expect them to be very strict on platforms though for obvious reasons.

Great, thanks for the info. I guess the rule of thumb is ask for forgiveness rather than permission with the caveat of using a bit of common sense.

Wow, the tones and colors in the sky is fabulous! Love the first one!

Really nice set. Love the sunrise colours in #1. #3 just edges it as my favourite.

I haven't seen the canary wharf one with the light coming in on the ceiling like that before. very nice.

I would very happily shoot no 1. No 2 is also looking great as long as you crop out all the stuff on the extreme right (the blown out mega bright light steals the focus)

I would love to shoot these with reflections. Looks like early AM its do-able. I've seen a few. I like the composotion/angle of two better but would have shot longer to lose the embankment
Don't like 3
4 is ok.

Making me want to do London, again.

Lovely set. I prefer 1 & 2 out of all of them...particually number 1. Brilliant capture. Super clean reflections :)

Out of interest, was you down on the embankment or on the oath higher up for shot 1 and 2?

Point of detail, some chromatic aberration in 2 that ideally you'd remove, especially if you want to sell it for stock or to buyers for print sales. It has a very sellable aesthetic, seems a shame for something thats a one mouse click take that way.

I would love to shoot these with reflections. Looks like early AM its do-able.

This was mid-tide but perfectly still - should be able to do better if you can get high tide too (& avoid passing boats)

Out of interest, was you down on the embankment or on the oath higher up for shot 1 and 2?

They were right on the edge of the embankment - tripod on the little wall, you needed to be close for the reflections as the tide was still messing up the middle of the river

Point of detail, some chromatic aberration in 2 that ideally you'd remove, especially if you want to sell it for stock or to buyers for print sales. It has a very sellable aesthetic, seems a shame for something thats a one mouse click take that way.

Well-spotted thanks

Looking back I also had one shot back across to the city I quite liked, albeit not much happening in the sky - except the pesky cranes!

City am by Mike Smedley, on Flickr

This was mid-tide but perfectly still - should be able to do better if you can get high tide too (& avoid passing boats)

They were right on the edge of the embankment - tripod on the little wall, you needed to be close for the reflections as the tide was still messing up the middle of the river

Well-spotted thanks

Looking back I also had one shot back across to the city I quite liked, albeit not much happening in the sky - except the pesky cranes!

City am by Mike Smedley, on Flickr

You'll be able to get those cranes out easily in post. However, The best take is a longer lens take just getting the three modern towers in the frame plus reflection. All sellable, and no chormatic aberation :D

Nice set Mike, London is one of many places I would like to visit to do some photography. Would have to be confident carrying the equipment around though.

Some cracking pictures Mike, I think the last one is my pick as lovely light on the buildings and the warmth from the sky. As Steve has said, can easily remove the cranes, but I quite like them in for some reason :police:. No.1 and 2 are again very nice with the different times and colours. Would like to see the tube shot in colour, but again I do like it. One day i will pull my finger out and pop into London.

The first three are stonking, not really a lover of B&W so can't comment on 4.

Great set Mike, no 2 in particular for me

You must have got up very early but looks like it was worth it

Thanks everyone for the comments

Good luck with conditions Tony - I was very lucky as I've never seen it so still and early Sunday is probably about the only time to avoid boats

Back