weekly Treehugger81 - 2012 - 52 Week Challenge - Week 8 - Money (added late)

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
This is my first 52/ project of any sort. I've only had my DSLR for about 6 months now and after looking at other peoples 52's and wanting to expand on what I photograph I thought I'd give it a go and see how far I get. Just started using Flickr too so will join the group and post on there too. Look forward to see all of your posts. Good luck to you all.

Week 1: Direction Edit
Week 2: Fear
Week 3: Sigh
Week 4: Sweet
Week 5: Secure
Week 6: Industry Edit
Week 7: Root Edit
Week 8: Handmade
Week 9: Money
Week 10:
Week 11:
Week 12:

Last edited:
Here goes my first shot. This is exciting!!!!

I took this shot on a New Years day walk up the Old Man at Coniston. I was lucky enough to get a tripod and head for Christmas so I took quite a few shots of waterfalls trying to get movement and direction :D in the water. This was one of the better ones imo.

MG_2991.jpg

Good to have you onboard and look forward to seeing your work :)

Thanks Roly good to be here

Hiya Phil, Welcome :wave: This is a great way to get your creative juices going. I completed the 2011 52 wk, and it was a great to get through to the end of it. Plenty to learn and plenty of inspiration to be had. All the best and I look forward to seeing your pics. (y)

Looking forward to the challenge, cheers Michael.

Going to move this for you into the Photo Sharing bit with the others :)

Excelllent start that Phil, I like that shot alot :) As other have said I think you have nailed the water, I'm not sure that the person is adding anything to the shot tbh.

I am hoping to get out and try land/seascapes myself soon now that I have a 10-20mm.

Really looking forward to seeing more of your work as the year goes on, keep it up :)

Hi Phil, a great start, a lovely pic and I like the inclusion of the person at the top looking down. Composition is spot on for me, I can't quite see an exact point of focus, it looks a little soft, but then looking at the weather conditions, the mist could well be fooling my eyes.

Thanks Michael, I agree with your point on the focus, it does look a little soft, I was using multi point focus when maybe I shouldn't have been. I'm not sure.

Excelllent start that Phil, I like that shot alot :) As other have said I think you have nailed the water, I'm not sure that the person is adding anything to the shot tbh.

I am hoping to get out and try land/seascapes myself soon now that I have a 10-20mm.

Really looking forward to seeing more of your work as the year goes on, keep it up :)

Cheers Roly, I did have another pic without him in it but i like it a little better, I think it adds a little perspective to the shot. I really enjoy trying to get movement into pictures lets hope there are more opportunities throughout the year.

Lovely landscape photograph which fits the theme well Phil.
I like the inclusion of the mist at the top of the frame, the person adds scale to the composition. Good start and interpretation to your 52. Iain

Treehugger81 said:
Thank you Kelly hadn't realised I had it in the wrong forum. :bonk: :)

No worries :)

blondie606 said:
Hi Phil....great start to your project...welcome aboard :)

You've certainly nailed the water movement....personally I'd crop out the person...tis a lovely landscape & bang on theme :clap:

Best of luck with the next 51 weeks (y)

Thanks for the comments Lynne.

Good start and I can see the link with direction. I think the topic of cropping out or leaving in the person will split those commenting. My vote goes for cropping out the person.

Ok I have taken your some of your comments on board and have cropped out the person standing at the top right of the shot. My other half won't be happy being as it is him but hey ho. lol

MG_2991-2.jpg

IMO i think it does clean up the shot somewhat and your eye isn't drawn away from the waterfall, which it probably shouldn't be as there is enough in the shot already to make it interesting. Thanks for making me look at the shot in a more critical way.

Man its only week one and i feel like i'm learning things already. (y)

Lovely waterfall and great use of speed. I agree the person is a distraction and would be better cropped / cloned out. Great start to the year and bang-on theme (y)

When the second theme was posted I was with some friends in the Lake District on a hammocking weekend (think camping but between two trees in the middle of nowhere) and couldn't wait to see what the theme was. So we went up the nearest hill to get some phone reception and managed to get it.

Here is what I came up with after a lot of attempts and a lot of help from my friends running around with head torches.

MG_31131.jpg

The feeling of looking out into a pitch black forest really sends a shiver down my spine and i think/hope :) this image conveys that.

They look like the legs of a giant :)

Darkness is a fear for many as it hides the unknown.

Good photo

wow love it, really does give you the impression of a dark scary forest with bogey men hiding in it...Blair Witch eat your heart out :LOL:

Phil, like your take on this theme, low pov works very well, my only issue is the green on the base of the left hand tree, it kind of distracts from the actual darkness, but non the less a really good shot.

Firstly just have to say I have just had a look at your new edit for week one, spot on :) Much better without the person in the background.

Now to fear, now this one I likey a lot. Very atmospheric and great lighting and the colour saturation is just about perfect I think.

Maybe a touch tightly cropped on the left side but not by enough to worry about, it would just be the icing on the cake for the roots to fade out as they have in the other tree.

I really like the way it makes me want to know whats out there in that darkenss.
This is the second image I have seen today that makes me thing Blair Witch Project.

Great work Phil :)

Back