Tripod set up for bird hides

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
I booked a private bird hide last year and wasn’t sure how to set up my tripod to allow the lens to protrude outside the hide. The organiser advised to put two legs to the front and to extend the other leg to prop up the tripod close to the edge of the hide. This was fine for static photos but not for panning as the ball head rotated in the wrong plane.

The only other solutions I have been offered is hides that allow two tripod legs outside the hide or a metal plate that holds a gimbal that stands on a secure shelf.

There must be another solution, but what?

In the past I have used my tripod with 2 legs in line with the hide portal and the 3rd leg used as a prop to hold it is place. But this canted the assembly which I could compensate for using a levelling head on the tripod under my Gimbal head.

If the hide indeed has a secure level shelf and the operator has hide plates with gimbal... IMO a no brainer, go for it :)

Either use a Skimmer, which looks like a frisbee, on which you can mount a variety of tripod heads. Or a Platypod.

I have a Jobu Jr-3 DeLuxe which is the smallest gimbal head on the market but will take the weight of a flagship D-SLR + Supertelephoto lens without any problems.

I now shoot Olympus Pro system and here is my setup which includes a couple of Naturescape spacers and a Really Right Stuff levelling base. I use the Platypod indoors and the Skimmer outdoors on the ground, each with my same head mounted.

Kitchen Hide_4364.jpeg

How about one of these levelling bases? ... Here

FWIW

I have the Manfrotto 438 levelling head and one of the criteria for my choice was that a levelling head should not shift as you lock it in place. The shifting when locked is also something that happens with ball heads so something to be aware of when reading reviews and/or checking the one you buy ;)

Either use a Skimmer, which looks like a frisbee, on which you can mount a variety of tripod heads. Or a Platypod.

I have a Jobu Jr-3 DeLuxe which is the smallest gimbal head on the market but will take the weight of a flagship D-SLR + Supertelephoto lens without any problems.

I now shoot Olympus Pro system and here is my setup which includes a couple of Naturescape spacers and a Really Right Stuff levelling base. I use the Platypod indoors and the Skimmer outdoors on the ground, each with my same head mounted.

View attachment 304224
If you want to go DIY an aluminium frying pan with a hole drilled through it for a 3/8 UNC bolt is a cheaper option. I’ve used a frying pan as support to photograph seals on a beach. it worked quite well considering it cost £5-10. A very small frying pan may work on hide shelf.

I’ve considered getting a platypus as they look good, but I cant really justify paying nearly £100 for what is a machined aluminium plate.

Last edited:
FWIW

I have the Manfrotto 438 levelling head and one of the criteria for my choice was that a levelling head should not shift as you lock it in place. The shifting when locked is also something that happens with ball heads so something to be aware of when reading reviews and/or checking the one you buy ;)

Are any levelling heads or ball heads perfect? I have a decent mid range ball head but it still moves a bit when locked. I don’t use a tripod enough to justify a better ball head, if one exists. Tempted by a levelling head if it means I can use a gimbal when the tripod is not level.

Are any levelling heads or ball heads perfect? I have a decent mid range ball head but it still moves a bit when locked. I don’t use a tripod enough to justify a better ball head, if one exists. Tempted by a levelling head if it means I can use a gimbal when the tripod is not level.

.... Really Right Stuff is not cheap but everything they design and make is 100% reliable in my experience. I have a lot of RRS gear.

If you want to go DIY an aluminium frying pan with a hole drilled through it for a 3/8 UNC bolt is a cheaper option. I’ve used a frying pan as support to photograph seals on a beach. it worked quite well considering it cost £5-10. A very small frying pan may work on hide shelf.

I’ve considered getting a platypus as they look good, but I cant really justify paying nearly £100 for what is a machined aluminium plate.

.... One of several reasons I chose the Platypod over a DIY frying pan is that it was practical to mount on my Gitzo Series-3 tripod with gimbal. I could quick release the whole head assembly from the tripod and use at low level on the ground or on rocks - It gave me compact and efficient flexibility and therefore its purchase was 100% justifiable as far as I am concerned.

Having moved from Canon to smaller and lighterweight Olympus I had some gear left over and have put it to good use as you can see.

I’m using a sunwayfoto leveling base with a gimbal. It’s worked perfectly for me. I’ve seen some reviews where people reported that it has failed.

This was fine for static photos but not for panning as the ball head rotated in the wrong plane.

Not sure what you mean, could explain more? Do you mean you couldn’t get the base level with the front two legs resting on the ledge? Even on their widest setting?

.... One of several reasons I chose the Platypod over a DIY frying pan is that it was practical to mount on my Gitzo Series-3 tripod with gimbal. I could quick release the whole head assembly from the tripod and use at low level on the ground or on rocks - It gave me compact and efficient flexibility and therefore its purchase was 100% justifiable as far as I am concerned.

Having moved from Canon to smaller and lighterweight Olympus I had some gear left over and have put it to good use as you can see.
It wasn’t meant to be a dig or slight on you. I can see why’s they are good and worth purchasing but for me personally at this moment it’s not worth the investment.

Since making the DIY frying pan for a specific trip to photograph seals on the beach (I live in what is one of the most land locked counties in the UK). I’ve used it twice in 6 years hence why I personally can’t justify it to myself!

Everyone’s uses/needs are different hence why everyone has differing opinions and needs to why some products are a good investment and others not. If I’d used the frying pan more than I have I’d get one as they are quite well designed but there is no point if it’s just going to sit in the cupboard unused all of the time.

It wasn’t meant to be a dig or slight on you. I can see why’s they are good and worth purchasing but for me personally at this moment it’s not worth the investment.

Since making the DIY frying pan for a specific trip to photograph seals on the beach (I live in what is one of the most land locked counties in the UK). I’ve used it twice in 6 years hence why I personally can’t justify it to myself!

Everyone’s uses/needs are different hence why everyone has differing opinions and needs to why some products are a good investment and others not. If I’d used the frying pan more than I have I’d get one as they are quite well designed but there is no point if it’s just going to sit in the cupboard unused all of the time.

.... I absolutely agree Rob and appreciate your different individual point of view. All we can do is share our own choices to possibly/potentially help/advise others here.

In my individual case, my relatively expensive Platypod provides a very stable base for my Jobu gimbal rig and it all lives on the window sill of my 'KitchenWindow Hide' (photo posted earlier) - I use it nearly every day and prefer it to my Skimmer for this application because it has a smaller footprint and there is room for a large mug of tea or coffee alongside or even a toasted sandwich! In fact I use this setup several times a day whenever I hear or see something interesting in my wildlife garden. This is my Flickr Album of what has been shot from my KitchenWindow Hide :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157706628644461

However, if I am travelling I take the Skimmer with just a long Arca-Swiss Quick Release Clamp < (RRS) Really Right Stuff again, aka Really Expensive Stuff but Really Really Well-Designed & Built Stuff.

I am absolutely useless at DIY anyway and wouldn't want to risk thousands of pounds worth of camera gear on anything I had made!

Not sure what you mean, could explain more? Do you mean you couldn’t get the base level with the front two legs resting on the ledge? Even on their widest setting?

.... If the base platform is not kept absolutely horizontally level, the action of panning exaggerates any inaccuracy such that the horizon is no longer purely horizontal. The further right or left you pan, the worse it becomes.

A ballhead cannot be expected to perform well for locked down panning. However, the Flexline double ballhead in which the lower larger ball can be locked down as level with its own spirit bubble is reliable. I have a RRS Arca-Swiss Quick Release Panning Clamp on mine. This is my setup on a Gitzo GT2545T tripod. All cheap-as-chips < NOT!! but I shoot all my surf photography on it and it's a combo I have taken years to arrive at.

Last edited:
Big heavy bean bag is my preferred choice.

.... A big heavy bean bag will obviously work extremely well in some applications but is bulky to carry around and you can't easily maintain a true horizontal. But we each have different needs and preferences.

Yes, same here.
Or, what about a monopod with suitable head?
Like this, or similar https://www.wexphotovideo.com/kirk-mpa-2-monopod-head-1532093/

.... I have tried nearly everything on my monopod, even including a small Jobu gimbal, and I find your suggestion the best. The only difference is that I use a Really Right Stuff 2-way head and with a Quick Release lever.

Using a ballhead on a monopod is a disaster and especially when it moves and painfully traps your finger!

Another tip is to use what Gitzo call a 'Bigfoot' ball swivel on your monopod. I use them on my Gitzo tripod too. They will probably screw into any of that same universal thread, not just Gitzo. I got mine from WEX.

A 2-way head plus ball foot is the way forward on a monopod.

.... A big heavy bean bag will obviously work extremely well in some applications but is bulky to carry around and you can't easily maintain a true horizontal. But we each have different needs and preferences.

Not if it has a carry strap, Certainly easier to carry than a tripod, gimbal etc.. I’m sorry but it’s very easy to keep horizontal, Maybe user error.?

Not if it has a carry strap, Certainly easier to carry than a tripod, gimbal etc.. I’m sorry but it’s very easy to keep horizontal, Maybe user error.?

.... Not easier for me to carry for my setup as I shoot lightweight Olympus on compact Flexline head on Gitzo carbon tripod and finding a place to rest a bean bag on would very greatly restrict shooting positions. And I have to pan and track mostly. But I appreciate a bean bag works best for you personally.

A DAY IN THE OFFICE! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

.... Not easier for me to carry for my setup as I shoot lightweight Olympus on compact Flexline head on Gitzo carbon tripod and finding a place to rest a bean bag on would very greatly restrict shooting positions. And I have to pan and track mostly. But I appreciate a bean bag works best for you personally.

A DAY IN THE OFFICE! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

The OP was asking About hide photography options..

The OP was asking About hide photography options..

.... Indeed he was. Conversations and discussions always meander doncha know :D and that's how you can learn new things. Besides, I was responding to you and pointing out to all about considering the limitations of bean bags. But each to their own.

The tripod was initially set up on the floor with all legs the same length. In order for the lens to protrude outside the hide, the front two legs were put in a vertical plane ie parallel to the hide wall and the rear leg was extended to keep it in position. This meant the base plate was not level with the floor, not a problem for static shots as I could set the ball head, but if I tried to pan the lens could not be kept horizontal. Probably would have been fine with a gimbal.

The tripod was initially set up on the floor with all legs the same length. In order for the lens to protrude outside the hide, the front two legs were put in a vertical plane ie parallel to the hide wall and the rear leg was extended to keep it in position. This meant the base plate was not level with the floor, not a problem for static shots as I could set the ball head, but if I tried to pan the lens could not be kept horizontal. Probably would have been fine with a gimbal.

.... A gimbal would not have solved keeping a horizontal - It's the platform base between tripod legs and head which needs to be set up level. See my Reply #18 :

.... If the base platform is not kept absolutely horizontally level, the action of panning exaggerates any inaccuracy such that the horizon is no longer purely horizontal. The further right or left you pan, the worse it becomes.

Bren, I'm not quite clear here, are you dealing with a wooden hide say with a window and ledge below ??????????????

HNY bro

stu

Bren, I'm not quite clear here, are you dealing with a wooden hide say with a window and ledge below ??????????????

HNY bro

stu

It was a wooden hide with window flaps and a ledge. The ledge was not that strong so I did not think it would hold tripod legs. Most of the time it was not as the bird perched where I was aiming, it was only when it moved that I had a problem. Probably me being thick and making a silly mistake.

In public hides I do not use a tripod as there is usually not enough room. I just hand hold and rest on a camera backpack. This allows more flexibility but is less stable.

could you use a little hi hat tripod with a bowl with your ball head? ,as the owner described 2 legs on the ledge one below and a couple or 3 screws to tighten everything up. add some rigidity to the wobbly ledge.
Bren I'm not a huge tripod/hide user ( ha ok front doorr stuff excepting but I'm amazed by what I can do in with my little induro hi hat tripod ,it's an LFB 75. just have a look. and muse a while tis built like a tank, so one can use that rigidity in unorthodox ways.:)

I don't know how much it weighs, it's WAAAYYY too much, for something so small, it's incredibly strong though!! (y)

I booked a private bird hide last year and wasn’t sure how to set up my tripod to allow the lens to protrude outside the hide. The organiser advised to put two legs to the front and to extend the other leg to prop up the tripod close to the edge of the hide. This was fine for static photos but not for panning as the ball head rotated in the wrong plane.

The only other solutions I have been offered is hides that allow two tripod legs outside the hide or a metal plate that holds a gimbal that stands on a secure shelf.

There must be another solution, but what?
I have a camera hide plate which I got from camera hide plate . com nice and light, takes a gimbal and is very stable even with my 7dmkii plus 100-400mm plus extender. It fits in my bag and is light as a feather. It might be what you are looking for so check it out :)

Back