Daily T's 365 challenge..... Life begins at 40......

My title today reflects what a truly awful day i have had inspiration wise..... I knew i would have them... we are all going to have them, but........ i didn't expect it on day 3 and to feel so seriously dejected and stuck.....

The first 2 days i was quite pleased with what i had got, obviously knowing there was still vast improvement to be had but it's a confidence boost isn't it when we like what we do?..

Today i woke not 100% sure what i was doing, whilst little rat is home for xmas hols going out with camera is alot harder and i knew i wanted to be able to shoot indoors more with the winter months etc..... anyway after endless mugs of coffee i was thinking i'll try still life etc and a quite a few ideas were running thru my mind........... until i started shooting them and nothing just nothing looked right........

Last night my determination to see this thru was way in the sky, i don't like to give up... but i do get seriously frustrated and today i had my first doubts.... not good!

Anyway, this post is bought to you by a miserable grumpy T...:D

Fingers crossed a better day tommorow... or at least start jotting ideas down for days like today!.....

Its a dark one.... maybe too dark.. i like dark........It's not great but at least you know what time i took the shot lol

IMG_5038 by Cg_girl, on Flickr

My title today reflects what a truly awful day i have had inspiration wise..... I knew i would have them... we are all going to have them, but........ i didn't expect it on day 3 and to feel so seriously dejected and stuck.....

The first 2 days i was quite pleased with what i had got, obviously knowing there was still vast improvement to be had but it's a confidence boost isn't it when we like what we do?..

Today i woke not 100% sure what i was doing, whilst little rat is home for xmas hols going out with camera is alot harder and i knew i wanted to be able to shoot indoors more with the winter months etc..... anyway after endless mugs of coffee i was thinking i'll try still life etc and a quite a few ideas were running thru my mind........... until i started shooting them and nothing just nothing looked right........

Last night my determination to see this thru was way in the sky, i don't like to give up... but i do get seriously frustrated and today i had my first doubts.... not good!

Anyway, this post is bought to you by a miserable grumpy T...:D

Fingers crossed a better day tommorow... or at least start jotting ideas down for days like today!.....

Its a dark one.... maybe too dark.. i like dark........It's not great but at least you know what time i took the shot lol

IMG_5038 by Cg_girl, on Flickr

I like it.... I like dark too...
Although you say you're feeling like you haven't any inspiration.... you're images are well composed, and, well constructed...

Another great shot .... you may think your inspiration has done a runner but it must have left a fair amount behind as these are great :D

I like it - the dark suites it very well and the PP is right in that it has a grungy feel to it.

Great composition....bordering on Jean-e-us ;)
I guess trying to post up an image every day that began with quality on day 1 is not easy but the most important is enjoy it, I don't think anyone will be telling you off "Tracie" style :)

Great image (and a good idea) and I love the processing - really suits it.

I haven't done a 365 before so am in no position to give advice but an idea sprung to mind. Can you find a go to subject? A default subject if you like. Mine for my 52 were pebbles. Do you have a collection of anything? Something that when inspiration is lacking you can grab a shot of to keep you up to date.
I think even the best photographers have days where inspiration is lacking, I doubt the best nail it every single time. If you could find a default subject, that would keep things ticking over until your next cracking image. Just a thought :D

Your pebble shots are so cute i love them and it is a great idea to use, i don't collect anything except books and i'm sure there is only so much you can do with a book... i will think tho.... my thinking originally was falling back on 'me' getting into the SP's or parts of me...( not as dodgy as it sounds)....

I suppose i want to keep away from the 'god did i post that' but at same time i can't get myself worked up like this!!:D

T, I know how you're feeling! I've read many articles and blogs etc on the 365 project and they all say if you're failing on the inspiration front, just take something for the sake of keeping up but I don't think that's something I'll ever be able to do. Take yesterday's photo... I later much, much preferred the photo that I didn't pick and I'm still beating myself up about choosing and posting the wrong one! But you've got a great photo and, like I just said to Carol, you've got it in you; tomorrow's will be better!

Good luck with the challenge T. Really like day 2, great colours and like the wood (?) foreground

Thank you muchly! :D

Good luck Trace, maybe something in your house that has a special meaning to you or something you like wearing?

Edit, you posted as I did and it's a great idea.

Thank you! i need to chill lol

Love your work. The latest is a classic but modern image! Great stuff

Thank you Timmy!

I like it.... I like dark too...
Although you say you're feeling like you haven't any inspiration.... you're images are well composed, and, well constructed...

Maybe i should wait until i have uploaded some before deleting and writing them off in camera,

Another great shot .... you may think your inspiration has done a runner but it must have left a fair amount behind as these are great :D

Honestly it didn't feel like it!... it better be a better one tomoz lol..... Thank you carol

I like it too, a bit of dark and grunge can be good.

Thank you!!

I like it - the dark suites it very well and the PP is right in that it has a grungy feel to it.

Thank you!
Great composition....bordering on Jean-e-us ;)
I guess trying to post up an image every day that began with quality on day 1 is not easy but the most important is enjoy it, I don't think anyone will be telling you off "Tracie" style :)

Arghhhhh not the Tracie!!:razz:...... tho your jean-e-us did make me laugh thank you!!

It's all good! :)

Thanks craig!

Great image (and a good idea) and I love the processing - really suits it.

Thank you muchly!

I'm liking all your stuff so far, relax a bit!

Thanks Phil, tho yes i seriously do need too!

Love it, the colour/processing are great and the exposure are spot on :clap: not to dark at all, I really like that you've put the subject off centre :clap:

Thank you matt !

T, I know how you're feeling! I've read many articles and blogs etc on the 365 project and they all say if you're failing on the inspiration front, just take something for the sake of keeping up but I don't think that's something I'll ever be able to do. Take yesterday's photo... I later much, much preferred the photo that I didn't pick and I'm still beating myself up about choosing and posting the wrong one! But you've got a great photo and, like I just said to Carol, you've got it in you; tomorrow's will be better!

I think that's exactly it Toni, i don't want to post for postings sake and that was a big argument in my head before starting, so i feel i've also pressured myself in the process... although i've never posted something that at the time i didn't like, although i have been hasty and gone back and thought why did i.... what i try and do now is shoot, edit put it private on flickr and go back a few times after an hour or more to make sure i still like it........

Sometimes/often we are our own worst critics.. can be a good thing of course but a little out of control too:D

You should never write them off 'in camera'.... because, you may be throwing away a potentially great image....
I think you're doing great!.

You should never write them off 'in camera'.... because, you may be throwing away a potentially great image....
I think you're doing great!.

Really?.... But they never look all that in camera which is why i had been deleting.... i guess i should stop then and just look properly!

Thank you Lee:D

Catching up with your 2nd and 3rd shot and just stunning. Loving the colour in the 2nd shot and the processing in the 3rd is just brilliant, especially for a day when you said you had little inspiration.

Yes, maybe.... but, you have the benefit of being able to process them once you've uploaded them....
I have done the same with my bird shots... looked at them in camera, thought they were crap, and deleted them, now, unless they're obviously poor, I keep them, many a time I've spotted a hidden gem amongst a poor image.... sometimes, we're so focused on getting 'that' shot, that we fail to see what else we took a shot of....

Really?.... But they never look all that in camera which is why i had been deleting.... i guess i should stop then and just look properly!

Thank you Lee:D

I learnt the hard way as well T .... always deleted 'in camera' but now I wait - upload them all to the computer and look at them on a larger screen - much better :) Some that I thought were rubbish can be saved :)

Yes, maybe.... but, you have the benefit of being able to process them once you've uploaded them....
I have done the same with my bird shots... looked at them in camera, thought they were crap, and deleted them, now, unless they're obviously poor, I keep them, many a time I've spotted a hidden gem amongst a poor image.... sometimes, we're so focused on getting 'that' shot, that we fail to see what else we took a shot of....

That's true about getting 'that' shot... i think i worry in respect i just don't want to post because i have too and pick any old image, so delete everything because it doesn't look 'the one' .... I shall change that and may calm me down... such a stress head:D

I learnt the hard way as well T .... always deleted 'in camera' but now I wait - upload them all to the computer and look at them on a larger screen - much better :) Some that I thought were rubbish can be saved :)

I just assumed if they didn't look perfect in cam they'd be seriously awful on pc and then i would feel even more rubbish..... well now i know:D thank you hun...... makes you wonder how many photos we've deleted for nothing lol

That's true about getting 'that' shot... i think i worry in respect i just don't want to post because i have too and pick any old image, so delete everything because it doesn't look 'the one' .... I shall change that and may calm me down... such a stress head:D

Well, you clearly put a lot of thought into them, so, maybe try and take less images, and go for quality, instead of quatity.....and not in the hope that if you take enough, at least one will be good enough....
I have done that too...taken loads, and kept a few...

Well, you clearly put a lot of thought into them, so, maybe try and take less images, and go for quality, instead of quatity.....and not in the hope that if you take enough, at least one will be good enough....
I have done that too...taken loads, and kept a few...

My problem is i actually don't fully understand the settings so my aim is to read up and learn, i struggle with indoor stuff and i have no off cam flash as yet so that's not helping.... I'm not the sort to give up but i do get frustrated if the first shot isn't what i want, whereas really i should be trying a few with adjusted settings.

My problem is i actually don't fully understand the settings so my aim is to read up and learn, i struggle with indoor stuff and i have no off cam flash as yet so that's not helping.... I'm not the sort to give up but i do get frustrated if the first shot isn't what i want, whereas really i should be trying a few with adjusted settings.

Well, you must have a rough idea?....
Try taking the shot in auto...look at the in camera settings, switch to manual, and replicate those settings, that way, you'll have a better idea of how it works, you'll soon figure out how to work manual by giving that a go...
Use the biggest window you have, and take window light shots... you seem to have a good grasp of shadow effect...

Well, you must have a rough idea?....
Try taking the shot in auto...look at the in camera settings, switch to manual, and replicate those settings, that way, you'll have a better idea of how it works, you'll soon figure out how to work manual by giving that a go...
Use the biggest window you have, and take window light shots... you seem to have a good grasp of shadow effect...

Yeah i get the basics just putting it all together, i think it's lighting that throws me, i never thought about looking at the auto settings :bonk:.... I'm my own worst enemy sometimes, i refused to use auto when i got the cam but haven't spent long enough reading manual or books.... This challenge is definitely a kick up the ass for me

Yeah i get the basics just putting it all together, i think it's lighting that throws me, i never thought about looking at the auto settings :bonk:.... I'm my own worst enemy sometimes, i refused to use auto when i got the cam but haven't spent long enough reading manual or books.... This challenge is definitely a kick up the ass for me

I think you have a good eye for a shot.... you just need to be more confident in your ability :)

This challenge is definitely a kick up the ass for me

SNAP on that one T :LOL: Reading and keep changing settings - even tried Programme Mode couple of times :)

Solo man said:
I think you have a good eye for a shot.... you just need to be more confident in your ability :)

Thank you Lee.... :)

T, have a read through the posts listed here... it helped me out a lot more than I thought it would when I stumbled across it!! http://my3boybarians.com/31-days-to-a-better-photo/

And here:
http://clickitupanotch.com/2010/09/shooting-in-manual-the-basics/

http://clickitupanotch.com/2010/09/5-reasons-to-shoot-in-manual-mode/

If you like using flash but can't afford a decent off camera flash or don't want to splurge until you know you're going to make use of it... here's something to look at: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professor-K...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357262123&sr=1-1 I spent ages running around with a piece of white card/cardboard wrapped in tinfoil and received this for Christmas. I like it a lot!

I took my camera off aperture priority for the first time on Christmas morning... now all of my shots are 100% manual and I couldn't go back to aperture priority now! It's really not as hard as it looks. I spent a long time envying those who could shoot in manual because it seemed impossible... until I sucked it up and gave it a go :p It's been a little over a week for me now!

It's also about learning your individual camera! Like, for mine... I tend to get a good exposure when my camera is, apparently, 2 steps on the meter overexposed!

T, have a read through the posts listed here... it helped me out a lot more than I thought it would when I stumbled across it!! http://my3boybarians.com/31-days-to-a-better-photo/

And here:

If you like using flash but can't afford a decent off camera flash or don't want to splurge until you know you're going to make use of it... here's something to look at: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professor-K...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357262123&sr=1-1 I spent ages running around with a piece of white card/cardboard wrapped in tinfoil and received this for Christmas. I like it a lot!

I took my camera off aperture priority for the first time on Christmas morning... now all of my shots are 100% manual and I couldn't go back to aperture priority now! It's really not as hard as it looks. I spent a long time envying those who could shoot in manual because it seemed impossible... until I sucked it up and gave it a go :p It's been a little over a week for me now!

Whilst I agree with some of this....
Aperture priority, or shutter priority, both have their place alongside manual.... there is nothing wrong with using them, so long as you know why you are using them...
I often go out doing bird/wildlife photography and have two cameras on the go, one for birds, and the other for wildlife, at times manual is of no use to me, and, I know that, so I switch between the other modes....

Oh no, I know! I'm still learning which is why I no longer use those methods (at this moment in time!). I want to learn how to use manual so that I can learn when manual isn't the best choice to get that photo if that makes sense?

And here:

Excellent thank you! .... i often think if i had started in AV and took the time to read i wouldn't struggle!..... instead its manual and fiddling lol :D

Inspired 3rd image its wonderful

Thank you Tezz!!:D

Wow, 3 cracking shots to start off with! I think I'll keep a close eye on your 365 as I have a feeling I'm going to like it. Although they're all strong, I especially love the first and third.

You make me want to get my lighting gear back this weekend and do some self portraits! (it's currently sitting at a mates house gathering dust...)

Keep it up! We want more! (y)

Wow, 3 cracking shots to start off with! I think I'll keep a close eye on your 365 as I have a feeling I'm going to like it. Although they're all strong, I especially love the first and third.

You make me want to get my lighting gear back this weekend and do some self portraits! (it's currently sitting at a mates house gathering dust...)

Keep it up! We want more! (y)

Yes do it!... it would be great to see someone else do some portraits.... It's my mission to feel comfortable in front of the camera. Althought a seriously challenging theme to do often!:eek: also i don't have any lighting gear at all just cam so working the light is also giving me a challenge!:D...

Anyway thank you for that most amazing feedback it gives me the motivation to continue!...(y):D

Back