In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
I'll start
4 fish and chips. (Bingo) WTF?
We buy anycar People doing silly dances because they sold their car? come back Schofield all is forgiven :D
Why am I dropping things adorably (Pluto TV) no, you are not adorable, you silly bitch.

I don't watch much TV, but it just seems that any time I do, it's always those 3 that are on :(

Ah yeah I'd forgotten that one Dave :(

Too many TV adverts are irritating nowadays. What happened to those brilliant high quality award-winning ones, usually adverts in which the product wasn't at all obvious.

Especially on Ch5 which have as many as 7 on every ad break!!

Last edited:
I’m the same , go out of my way to avoid adverts, I don’t watch much terrestrial telly anyway though

I'll start
4 fish and chips. (Bingo) WTF?
We buy anycar People doing silly dances because they sold their car? come back Schofield all is forgiven :D
Why am I dropping things adorably (Pluto TV) no, you are not adorable, you silly bitch.

Agree about We buy any car. Just now the one I find most annoying is another car selling one, the Motorway one where dealers dance around on calculators bidding for the car.

Where are adverts of the class of Joan Collins and Leonard Rossiter for Cinzano Bianco or the delightful lunacy of the Mash men?

Dave

When it comes to modern TV adverts, that's a reasonable position.

There have been some very good print adverts in the past. One example was David Ogilvy's advert for Rolls Royce in the 1960s, which some people seem to regard as art:

That advert reminds me of the story, probably untrue but it makes good copy. Some one who bought a Rolls Royce came to start it up the next day and it wouldn't start. Totally outraged he demanded the dealer take his defective car away and replace it. The dealer turned up to be told by the man, "I turned the ignition and look the engine failed to start." The dealer looked at the ignition key still in and said, "Sir, the engine is running."

Dave

Last edited:
Most of them. I usually either channel surf for the couple of minutes or do something more interesting.

Most irritating? Just Eat, mongooses/wombats, sky, fast food.

None.

Mind you, that's because we record everything and skid through the adverts with a button press or three! :naughty: :coat:
Same here. Just a shame I can't do the same with radio, the WBAC ad is bloody annoying!

None.

Mind you, that's because we record everything and skid through the adverts with a button press or three! :naughty: :coat:

Same here. Just a shame I can't do the same with radio, the WBAC ad is bloody annoying!

and we did but the BT box thing packed up so got a fancy new BT one , pro, 1 tb, Bluetooth blah blah and you can’t use the remote to skip 1 min each press- well not as easy as the old remote

Especially on Ch5 which have as many as 7 on every ad break!!
I sometimes watch my5, when ever, where I stop and go back it always starts with a bloody ad!
And you are right, if you try and pause or FF them, it tells you how may are left ie 3 of 7 etc.
I've not come across more than 7.

South Africa makes the best ads, where people can still laugh at themselves.
Not bad

None.

Things I love about SkyQ, press the mike button and tell it to gor forward 5mins, that normally passes all adverts on recording

for me its just adverts showing completely unrealistic families.
not being racist but every family on every advert almost is "blended"
.... I agree - Most are unrealistically cast and dare I say tokenist? But the main irritation is that there are so many ads showing families or couples which just look false.

Last edited:
.... I agree - Most are unrealistically cast and dare I say tokenist? But the main irritation is that so many ads showing families or couples just look false.

exactly that was the words i was looking for unrealist/cast it just all looks so fake

South Africa makes the best ads, where people can still laugh at themselves.
I laughed aloud at those - great ads. I miss working with South Africans, used to be a great crowd

Apart from wanting a degree of entertainment from the TV adverts (yes, some are entertaining!), viewers do not want to see anything fake. Unless of course it's so obviously fake that it's comedy.

Complain as many people do about the BBC, at least there are no adverts (apart from promotions for their own programmes).

I now watch TV online and you can pay to see no adverts but I resent paying and so don't do so.

This is an old commercial from 1990 but there need to be more ads of this calibre nowadays :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf4adYHPmZ0

Last edited:
I don't get why it was banned
According to Google ..
There were more than 100 complaints to the ASCB about this controversial 1999 advertisement for the Toyota Hilux ute, which used the word 'bugger'. However, the authority ruled that, taking account of the context and medium, the advertisement was unlikely to cause widespread offence.

only 100? Bugger!
:D

That bloody fabric detergent or freshener... 'who needs the sun?'
We all do, you bloody morons, shut ya traps

I make tea/coffee* one ad break, go pee the next set, the latest up my nose ad is the large guy rapping about some slimming drink, although we watch minimal live tv so don’t see as many as we might.

*Other drinks are available.

the large guy rapping about some slimming drink,
I agree, far too many adverts revolve around making a song and dance about some product or service.
No one cares.

Yep ! like others here ALL OF THEM, sorry, I needed to stress the point. Whatever happened to the ' Advertising Standards Authority ' ? Their remit
" We respond to concerns and complaints from consumers and businesses and take action to ban ads which are misleading, harmful, offensive or irresponsible. As well as responding to complaints we monitor ads to check they're following the rules. "

Ban Ads that are " misleading " Well that is about 95% of them isn't it ? We now are expected to accept many hours of gratuitous lies ' beamed ' at us daily. No wonder the moral fabric of society has decayed to the point where many accept the likes of Boris Johnson & Donald Trump, et al spewing their version of the truth. Adverts, ban them all, they are a time consuming, brain washing abomination.
P. S Good manners prevents me telling you what I really think.

Actually I found a couple that I like.
You know, the ones that end with a public service announcement "Keep away from kids"
Why don't they all say that?

:D

Back