UK Government theft.

Probably - I went without luxuries as a young man and managed to retire at 35; some people want their cake and to eat it.
Well here’s an alternative view - rather than being a success, I’d suggest you’re lazy.
You could have worked longer and earned more and got a better pension.

Well here’s an alternative view - rather than being a success, I’d suggest you’re lazy.
Don't rise to it.

There's some pretty personal stuff being thrown about in here. Please remember that that's not acceptable.

@Phil V , @viv1969 , I'm speaking to you.

As you wish.
Now if that could also apply to certain posters in certain other threads, that'd be great.

As you wish.
Now if that could also apply to certain posters in certain other threads, that'd be great.
report them and they'll be dealt with

If you wish to think that.

If you wish to think that.
I didn’t say that’s what I thought.

But if someone were to believe that financial reward is a measure of success and the obvious consequence of ‘hard work’ then it’s a valid view.

I don’t believe either of those things btw, and the evidence doesn’t either.

I didn’t say that’s what I thought.

But if someone were to believe that financial reward is a measure of success and the obvious consequence of ‘hard work’ then it’s a valid view.

I don’t believe either of those things btw, and the evidence doesn’t either.
I'm sure your previous post says 'I'd suggest your lazy' I apologise if I took that as an expression of your thoughts?

Anyway; it doesn't matter. You don't like my views and that's your discretion.

I'm sure your previous post says 'I'd suggest your lazy' I apologise if I took that as an expression of your thoughts?

I suppose it just goes to show you don't need to be well educated to be financially successful then?

I am sure a lot of today's Top footballers & 'reality TV' stars would fit the category of not being well educated but financially successful?

There are some jobs that might be categorised as "blue collar" that are extremely well remunerated such as deep sea divers who work on the off shore oil fields. I can imagine someone who is financially savvy doing well and building up a tidy pension pot as well a nest egg as a backup. Very dangerous and hard graft but what a life they can have if planned well!

Or you could be good with numbers & win the Lottery

:LOL: somehow I doubt being 'good' with numbers will help win the lottery! Just sheer good chance..................or lady luck as it is better called, perhaps......just wish "she would smile on me..." :)

PS unlike card games where I recall hearing of what I think is called "card counting" to narrow the odds of a good/winning hand???

I am sure a lot of today's Top footballers & 'reality TV' stars would fit the category of not being well educated but financially successful?

When I first saw the money figures paid to the Top Footballers two things sprang to mind "you may be paid the money but what have you really earned it....*~*" and as I have sometimes heard folk complain (over the years) about how the cost of a match ticket has gone up! Er, now I wonder why or do they not see the connection between ticket price and the footballers pay :LOL:

re: *~* this was said to me by a department head in the path lab where I was a junior technician in the early 70's, when following the levelling (almost) of salaries with the Scientific Civil Service I remarked to him that my increase was nice to get as it went (wracks brains for exact figures???) from £987 per year to £1150 per year..............ah those were the days :LOL:

Last edited:
:LOL: somehow I doubt being 'good' with numbers will help win the lottery! Just sheer good chance..................or lady luck as it is better called, perhaps......just wish "she would smile on me..." :)

PS unlike card games where I recall hearing of what I think is called "card counting" to narrow the odds of a good/winning hand???
I should have added a 'winkie' at the end of my post ;)

When I first saw the money figures paid to the Top Footballers two things sprang to mind "you may be paid the money but what have you really earned it....*~*" and as I have sometimes heard folk complain (over the years) about how the cost of a match ticket has gone up! Er, now I wonder why or do they not see the connection between ticket price and the footballers pay :LOL:

re: *~* this was said to me by a department head in the path lab where I was a junior technician in the early 70's, when following the levelling (almost) of salaries with the Scientific Civil Service I remarked to him that my increase was nice to get as it went (wracks brains for exact figures???) from £987 per year to £1150 per year..............ah those were the days :LOL:
My wife worked in the hospital bacteriology labs starting in 1974, she started at the same salary as I did working for a global computer company. Within 3 years I was being paid more than twice what she was & a year later she left when we had our first child.

My wife worked in the hospital bacteriology labs starting in 1974, she started at the same salary as I did working for a global computer company. Within 3 years I was being paid more than twice what she was & a year later she left when we had our first child.

Crumbs yes, bacteriology was my first lab in late 1973................a real 'lesson' in life for a late teenager...........bodily fluids and the rest :LOL:

Then into every other department except Clinical Chemistry. I really enjoyed the sense of job satisfaction especially in the blood transfusion cross matching lab, even the day/night/day's when I did them. NB this was at the then London Hospital and its 'branch' Mile End Hospital. A wonderful esprit de corp with a "you don't have to be mad to work here but it helps if you are...." attitude of my colleagues! Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be :giggle:

There must have been some good increases between the early 70's and the late 70's. I started my apprenticeship in 79 and my pay after deductions was over £1600 per year.

There must have been some good increases between the early 70's and the late 70's. I started my apprenticeship in 79 and my pay after deductions was over £1600 per year.
There was a time in the mid 70s/early 80s when I received two pay rises in a single year because inflation was so high, almost 25% & mortgage interest rate was in double figures too.

Last edited:

I cannot now recall but yes it did creep up but it was the one off (or was it two steps) early on when they levelled off with the Civil Service structure that was most notable....hence why it has stuck in my head.

PS though more related to this thread ~ the NHS had a Superannuation scheme back then, when a colleague left in early 1980 she took her Superannuation 'pot' out but when I left a few months later the rules had changed and I was not allowed to :( However, now I am pleased that it was left because though so very modest the pension it produces is nice to have in the planning mix................though I wish I could have converted the lump sum, it also gave me, into the pension element, on the basis of more pension would have been better ;)

There was a time in the mid 70s/early 80s when I received two pay rises in a single year because inflation was so high, almost 25% & mortgage interest rate was in double figures too.
I always got 2 pay rises a year as an apprentice. We would get a pay rise on our birthday and another which was the negotiated rise the whole workforce would get.
I started my apprenticeship in early September, got my birthday pay rise at the end of October, then the workforce pay rise at the end of November. End of December we would get 8 days holiday money at time plus a third, it was like they kept throwing money at us towards the end of each year. . :)

There are some jobs that might be categorised as "blue collar" that are extremely well remunerated such as deep sea divers who work on the off shore oil fields. I can imagine someone who is financially savvy doing well and building up a tidy pension pot as well a nest egg as a backup. Very dangerous and hard graft but what a life they can have if planned well!

15 years as a North Sea saturation diver :)

Last edited:
25 years as a North Sea saturation diver :)

I did wonder seeing as you say you said you are 'North of the border' ;) Good on you for making your dream of early retirement work out for you.

Do you still (scuba) dive for leisure, if so any underwater photographs to share?

Yep- typo 15 years! Bloody phones!

Last edited:

My My: Your trolling is in good order.
Context is everything.

By all accounts the DWP issue a statement saying they will not be raising the pension age to 75.
No mention on the 70 bit though.

I think someone commented earlier on the 75 thing being a ruse to make 70 seem acceptable.

By all accounts the DWP issue a statement saying they will not be raising the pension age to 75.
No mention on the 70 bit though.

I think someone commented earlier on the 75 thing being a ruse to make 70 seem acceptable.
That’d be me ;)
I don’t understand how this kinda stuff isn’t obvious to everyone

That’d be me ;)
I don’t understand how this kinda stuff isn’t obvious to everyone

It's like the "austerity measures", and min wage.

They always increase min wage a bit, or announce more funding, immediately before an election and people forget the years worth of under-funding suddenly.

...and people forget the years worth of under-funding suddenly.
I think that's because they've been fed so many conflicting lies that they concentrate on what they see with their own eyes and hold in their own hands. If they have an extra £10 a week in their pockets that's what they base their decisions on.

As the Soviets and the Nazis proved so well: if you surround your population with lies they become easily manipulated.

As the Soviets and the Nazis proved so well: if you surround your population with lies they become easily manipulated.
Just this week...
Boris Johnson - under no circumstances will we erect a hard border in Northern Ireland (our border with the EU)
Priti Patel - On day one of leaving the EU we will end freedom of movement

And because this appeals to some people they lap it up without question.

We are living in a post truth world, no one cares.

Politicians don't even bother singing from the same 'hymn sheet' these days, regardless of which party they represent. I wonder if it is because they have realised the public are so fed up with their lies that they have stopped listening?

Politicians don't even bother singing from the same 'hymn sheet' these days, regardless of which party they represent. I wonder if it is because they have realised the public are so fed up with their lies that they have stopped listening?

This is what really worries me. Whatever side of the fence you are on regarding brexit, so many lies and changes in position have happened that I struggle to see how we as a country get back to some political normality.

I blame the media (including social media) ; it's too easy for people to publish unsubstantiated 'facts' & claims which get then quoted by others. It is hard to separate fact from opinion , not to mention downright lies , I despair at trying to draw my own conclusions about 'man made' climate change & the whole Brexit debacle.

Back