un œuf is un œuf ( see what I did there? )

PS I surmise the registration is more to do with their milking and diary protocols & herd health checks to mitigate for Listeria bacteria. A bit like nut allergies, who is to say that (A) folk know a Listeria infection can impact on pregnancy and (B) those that do know about this are cautious enough in their 'risk assessment' before buying & drinking it?

Your surmise is partially wrong, it's more to do with TB testing, if an animal in a certain radius from the farm is tested
milk can't be sold any where in the area. Warnings a re put on each container about the risks it can only be sold
in 1 litre containers
I dare say that as with all food sale there are stringent hygiene protocols that have to be adhered to.

My wife always uses 1/3 strong white flour to any wholemeal, malted or granary bread she is making, not only does it make a 'better' loaf but it makes the speciality flour go further. She adds eggs & milk to her fruit loaf recipe too.

When I get back to the shops I'll take a look at the pricing, just out of interest, but after reading what you've just posted (thanks) and going on that last loaf I think this is something I'd like to do again.

When I get back to the shops I'll take a look at the pricing, just out of interest, but after reading what you've just posted (thanks) and going on that last loaf I think this is something I'd like to do again.
Strong flour for breadmaking has been hard to find locally (Tyne and Wear) so we have been using flour direct from this mill. It's a lot more expensive than supermarket stuff though and you have to be patient sometimes to get a slot to order any. They sell 1kg bags and 16kg sacks. Their seeded and malted flours are particularly nice. The site also lists some interesting recipes for different breads to try too.

https://www.shipton-mill.com

My wife always uses 1/3 strong white flour to any wholemeal, malted or granary bread she is making,

IIRC, the recipes that came with our bread maker suggested adding strong white flour (about 1/3 the total flour weight) to any "brown" flours and also to sieve out the seedy bits from Granary (add them later to get the texture back) to reduce the possibility of them getting trapped under the paddle and scratching the non-stick coating. Bit of a faff but worth it (on both counts!)

The ONLY way to cook beans is with a good dash or two or Lea & Perrins sauce before heating them up...

I would tend to agree but here, the L&P (there is NO substitute acceptable!!!) has to be splashed on once on the plate - L&P isn't veggie-proof.

Wish I could eat eggs (as an item). I'm fine with them as ingredients, even as main ingredients but a fried, boiled, poached etc. egg would probably make me hurl (and I HATE puking even more than I like the idea of eating eggs so am unwilling to do the experiment!)

Your surmise is partially wrong, it's more to do with TB testing, if an animal in a certain radius from the farm is tested
milk can't be sold any where in the area. Warnings a re put on each container about the risks it can only be sold
in 1 litre containers
I dare say that as with all food sale there are stringent hygiene protocols that have to be adhered to.

Ah! missed that aspect.................it was the Listeria infection that has a known risk of foetal injury and as I recall potential spontaneous abortion I was recalling.

Ref: flour ~ on my last Sainsbury visit a few weeks back, the shelves were bare of consumer packs of flour but what they did have plenty of (approx 3 pallets worth) was 16kg sacks all stacked up. I did not see a single one in anyone's trolley whilst i was there!

I only ever buy free range eggs, and there is definitely a difference in taste and quality between them and 'standard' or battery hen eggs ... maybe eggs are just better over here in Ireland? I know our grass fed butter is some of the best in the world , so good the Americans pay top dollar to import Kerrygold. Our beef is also very good quality, so maybe no surprise that our eggs are too.

As for beans, they have never been as big a deal over here as in the UK, they are certainly not an essential part of a full irish, where the full English seems to come with a flood of them as standard. When I do eat them, I just buy the microwave pots, add a knob of that lovely salty Irish butter in there and that's it, poured then over some even butterier wholewheat toast mmmm

Actually that might be the only main difference between your full English and Irish, depending on the area perhaps? Full irish for me is sausage, bacon, couple soft fried eggs, pudding [black & white] mushrooms, fried tomato, tea & home made soda bread or toast

Last edited:
IIRC, the recipes that came with our bread maker suggested adding strong white flour (about 1/3 the total flour weight) to any "brown" flours and also to sieve out the seedy bits from Granary (add them later to get the texture back) to reduce the possibility of them getting trapped under the paddle and scratching the non-stick coating. Bit of a faff but worth it (on both counts!)
I used to occasionally hand make bread, but I managed to buy a bread maker just after lockdown started and it is just brilliant. I love it! My OH would never have agreed to another kitchen gadget, so lockdown has done us a favour :) He is converted. Todays offering was 30% white and 70% wholemeal too. I haven't tried granary yet, but will follow your tip.

I've also been supporting our local mill. It is relatively easy to get flour in small quantities, but is over double the price - nearer 3 times that of the cheap stuff.

I always buy free range eggs and organic carrots because they taste better, and I go out of my way to buy Isle of Wight tomatoes too.

I used to occasionally hand make bread, but I managed to buy a bread maker just after lockdown started and it is just brilliant. I love it! My OH would never have agreed to another kitchen gadget, so lockdown has done us a favour :) He is converted. Todays offering was 30% white and 70% wholemeal too. I haven't tried granary yet, but will follow your tip.

I've also been supporting our local mill. It is relatively easy to get flour in small quantities, but is over double the price - nearer 3 times that of the cheap stuff.

I always buy free range eggs and organic carrots because they taste better, and I go out of my way to buy Isle of Wight tomatoes too.

We have a breadmaker, but I haven't used it in ages, I make the bread in our house, it's usually an adaptation of Paul Hollywood's "Pecan Bread". It's bloody lovely, but I limit myself to just 1 loaf a week...

Actually that might be the only main difference between your full English and Irish, depending on the area perhaps? Full irish for me is sausage, bacon, couple soft fried eggs, pudding [black & white] mushrooms, fried tomato, tea & home made soda bread or toast
Full English for me is fried slice, with toast on the side.
Eggs, ( scrambled or fried) a couple of rashers of Bacon a couple of sausages, black pudding grilled tomatoes & mushrooms, ( no beans)
Some or all depending how muck of a pig I am at the time :D
Coffee and fresh orange juice.

Being a f***wit, I usually forget to swap the egg for something else when I order a full English. However, I can generally do the swap post-purchase with another sinner who is joining me in the indulgence! TRY to limit myself to one per month but fail a few times...

Dont get white pudding over here on a breakfast really... I'd say a lot of places didnt really do black pudding until more recently. Bacon and Black pudding sandwich anyone?:banana:

Black pudding in a lamb hotpot or steak and kidney pie anytime for me.......

This probably isn't the right meat eating place to say we had vegi bacon sarnies with brown source this morning :D

I enjoy going meat free for meals for a change, but I struggle to see the point in eating something made from vegetable/fungi/nuts or similar masquerading as meat. Can anyone enlighten me?

I enjoy going meat free for meals for a change, but I struggle to see the point in eating something made from vegetable/fungi/nuts or similar masquerading as meat. Can anyone enlighten me?
I don't get it either. I'm not one for eating meat free meals however, unless there is fish, turkey or chicken involved, it isn't a meal. ;)

I don't get it either. I'm not one for eating meat free meals however, unless there is fish, turkey or chicken involved, it isn't a meal. ;)
My daughter often says she doesn't mind vegetarian food as long as it is served with a side order of meat.....

I think its a case of being against animal cruelty rather than taste....

I've tried the old nut roast, doesnt beat a lamb joint in any way shape or form.

Dont get white pudding over here on a breakfast really... I'd say a lot of places didnt really do black pudding until more recently. Bacon and Black pudding sandwich anyone?:banana:

Yes please!!

Anthony

I struggle to see the point in eating something made from vegetable/fungi/nuts or similar masquerading as meat. Can anyone enlighten me?
I'm not against anyone that prefers plants to meat, But that above has to be one of life's great mysteries.
I've reported this, @Cobra month ban should cover it i think ;)
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Vegetarians don't tend to not eat meat because they don't like the taste or look of it. Most will be for animal welfare reasons, others may be for health reasons.

We had pulled jackfruit the other day, makes a great substitute for pulled pork and tastes delicious. If you can still have something that looks and tastes like meat without it actually being meat, what's the issue?

Vegetarians don't tend to not eat meat because they don't like the taste or look of it. Most will be for animal welfare reasons, others may be for health reasons.

We had pulled jackfruit the other day, makes a great substitute for pulled pork and tastes delicious. If you can still have something that looks and tastes like meat without it actually being meat, what's the issue?
The only issue I have is the length food manufacturers go to in order to make their vegetarian products look like meat..... bacon rashers or a steak for example? I don't mind something that looks like a burger or patty, such as a spicy bean burger.

Last edited:
Because it doesn't look, taste or have the "mouth feel" of the real thing. I'd rather have a vegetarian meal than a meat substitute if I can't have meat.

Oddly, it was the look of 2 specific meals that turned Mrs Nod veggie. First was a bit of pork crackling that was a bit bristly, followed a week later by a 1/2 chicken (or whatever small chickens are called!) that looked like half a chicken. I did rather well out of both meals and Mrs Nod is still happy to cook meat for me but it was definitely the look of those 2 dishes that turned her veggie (although she has taken it a bit further now, avoiding gelatine as well as anything else that needs the animal to be killed to produce the end product. Still eats/drinks dairy and eggs.)

We had pulled jackfruit the other day, makes a great substitute for pulled pork and tastes delicious.

We've gone to use it as a replacement before, purely on a lower calorie basis. But its not the cheapest alternative in the world at almost double the price per KG in tesco.

or look of it
But that's the ( my) point, they are still eating sausages that look like sausages and bacon that very much resembles streaky bacon.
( Whether or not it tastes like it looks I've no idea)

The only issue I have is the length food manufacturers go to in order to make their vegetarian products look like meat..... bacon rashers or a steak for example? I don't mind something that looks like a burger or patty, such as a spicy bean burger.

Why do you have an issue with it? If they are provide a product that consumers want, how does that affect you?

We've gone to use it as a replacement before, purely on a lower calorie basis. But its not the cheapest alternative in the world at almost double the price per KG in tesco.

I don't shop in Tesco but I buy from Ocado. This one is £2.99 for 500g (so £6 per kilo)and is more than enough for the 2 of us.

https://www.ocado.com/products/clearspring-organic-young-jackfruit-chunks-473608011

Ready pulled pork comes in at anything up to £15 per kilo.

But that's the ( my) point, they are still eating sausages that look like sausages and bacon that very much resembles streaky bacon.
( Whether or not it tastes like it looks I've no idea)

As I said, many vegetarians enjoy having something that looks and tastes like meat but without an animal having to die to produce it.

As I said, many vegetarians enjoy having something that looks and tastes like meat but without an animal having to die to produce it.
I'm wondering though if they ( all vegetarians) would eat it if it didn't resemble the meat product its based on.
I'm guessing not

I'm wondering though if they ( all vegetarians) would eat it if it didn't resemble the meat product its based on.
I'm guessing not

Some maybe, some maybe not.

Anyway, I'm gonna blow some minds on here by saying that we're having a tofu & (real) chorizo stir fry at the weekend. :LOL:

Why do you have an issue with it? If they are provide a product that consumers want, how does that affect you?
Fair point, I suppose because I think it is 'fake' & unnatural.

Anyway, I'm gonna blow some minds on here by saying that we're having a tofu & (real) chorizo stir fry at the weekend. :LOL:
:runaway:

:D

Back