uniquegardens 52 for 2010 - wk 15 "Single" pg 7

I haven't got a clue what's going on either, but the image is very striking and intriguing. I like it a lot (y)

I like it. It's......... different.
I wasn't too sure when I saw the small image but the larger one helped.

Pity the central figures head is as faded as it is but still, it's an intriguing take on the theme and as I've already said, I like 'different'.

I think that's really cool! Doesn't mean anything to me, and I don't know what the quote thingy is, but as an image it's working nicely for me a gets a big thumb! (y)

I am amazed,
thank you so much Lee, I wasn't quite sure anyone would like it.

The quote thingy is the title of the book.

Catching up a bit Graham. Like your 1st present shot the best as that crop looks great. Hope it tasted as good as it looked.

People.........interesting............haven't got the foggiest what it means, but looks pretty cool (y)

Cheers, Rob

Cheers Rob,
they said it did which pleases me greatly. (satified customer).

Interesting take, its one of those, but I am pleased you liked it.

I haven't got a clue what's going on either, but the image is very striking and intriguing. I like it a lot (y)

Thank you...

I like it. It's......... different.
I wasn't too sure when I saw the small image but the larger one helped.

Pity the central figures head is as faded as it is but still, it's an intriguing take on the theme and as I've already said, I like 'different'.

Cheers RobC,
I might have ago at painting it in at a later date. Different, I do try, its such a steep learning curve photography and 8 months into it, its a most enjoyable one.

(y)(y)

You say it's not one of your best efforts, but I absolutely love this.
Along with "Chopped" it's up there with my favourites from your 52 so far :clap:

I've spent a bit of time trying to work out what you did. I'm guessing it's 3 images - the book, the figures and some sort of texture overlay?
Whatever it is has worked really well, it's definitely got the ethereal look you were going for. The only bit that's not quite right for me is the head of the central figure getting lost in the text - I would have liked to have seen a bit more opacity there.

It's not a book that I've read, but a quick Google and it sounds like my type of thing. I think I'll have to look out for this one and give it a try - from the bit that I've read about it your image definitely does it justice.

I can't say anything else other than well done - I think it's a truly inspired and beautiful image!

You say it's not one of your best efforts, but I absolutely love this.
Along with "Chopped" it's up there with my favourites from your 52 so far :clap:

I've spent a bit of time trying to work out what you did. I'm guessing it's 3 images - the book, the figures and some sort of texture overlay?
Whatever it is has worked really well, it's definitely got the ethereal look you were going for. The only bit that's not quite right for me is the head of the central figure getting lost in the text - I would have liked to have seen a bit more opacity there.

It's not a book that I've read, but a quick Google and it sounds like my type of thing. I think I'll have to look out for this one and give it a try - from the bit that I've read about it your image definitely does it justice.

I can't say anything else other than well done - I think it's a truly inspired and beautiful image!

Thank you Sarah,

didn't expect that response, I am chuffed, and its very much appreciated. I wasn't sure about it, I thought it might come across as a bit of a mismatch.
You are correct, 3 layers, book, figures and a fabric sheet, to emphasis a shroud. I will try to paint in the head because it does get lost.

Once again Sarah THANK YOU.

I'm with the majority in not knowing what this is about, but that doesn't matter at all because it's a great picture! It's been put together very well and has a lot of interest. It's a really good interpretation of the theme, well done :)

Well done Graham, I really like it. The context means nothing to me, not knowing the book, but I can see how the image works with the title.

Catch up time, Graham :)

That cake's a winner on two counts - it's beautiful,(you must be blessed with endless patience) and you've got two good shots of it (despite the b/g on the second one). I think the close crop has more impact, but the second one's a good record shot of your creation. (y)

People: I've just Googled this and it sounds like a really fascinating read with something in it for everyone and your image captures that complex storyline beautifully. I agree with the comments that the central figure's head needs a touch more opacity, but the overall effect is creative, intriguing and beautiful. :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

:plus1: I don't know why but I quite like this.

cheers

I'm another one who does not understand this, but it is visually very appealing. I agree about the head of the person in the middle. Well done with this one, Graham.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,
Thank you, and yes it does let it down abit.

I'm with the majority in not knowing what this is about, but that doesn't matter at all because it's a great picture! It's been put together very well and has a lot of interest. It's a really good interpretation of the theme, well done :)

Thats very kind of you, cheers

Well done Graham, I really like it. The context means nothing to me, not knowing the book, but I can see how the image works with the title.

Hello John,
I am surprised so many do and including your good self, I wasn't sure with this at all.

Here goes for week 8 Mechanical.

Firstly I must apologise for my late entry and secondly I was surprised how much
I struggled with this weeks theme.

My intrepretation of Mechanical complete with dirt...

What I learnt

* Must try Harder

Last edited:
You shouldn't be apologising for this - it's interesting, eyecatching and bang on theme. I like the strong shadow across the page because it emphasises the shapes of the set square (?). The slightly desaturated treatment works well with just enough colour in the brass screw and the spirit level. Even the border gets a (y) from me.

And it's not even late - lots of us don't post until Sunday evening. ;)

Another good week, Graham. :)

Jean

Nothing much wrong there Graham. Good strong image and I like the way the entry in the book is framed by the shadow. Lighting is perfect. If I had to pick something I'd like to see a greater DoF to make the thumb screw and bubble a lot sharper as that's where the eyes are naturally drawn. Damned good effort though and certainly nothing to apologise for :)

I think this is a good thought provoking and well constructed shot. Simple is best and the light suits the mood well.

Another positive vote from me.

Simple but effective and a real timeless feel to it.
I was going to say that I found the light and shadows a touch too harsh, but then I noticed the way that the curved shadow wraps around the definition of "mechanic" in the dictionary . . . so I take that back. I think the lighting works perfectly.

Right on the theme, lighting works well and has made a very simple subject stand out.

Nice use of DoF

I like your take on the theme, as has been said above, a simple and effective image with great use of lighting and shadow to frame the words in the dictionary. Well done

Nothing much wrong there Graham. Good strong image and I like the way the entry in the book is framed by the shadow. Lighting is perfect. If I had to pick something I'd like to see a greater DoF to make the thumb screw and bubble a lot sharper as that's where the eyes are naturally drawn. Damned good effort though and certainly nothing to apologise for :)

Thank you so much, I agree with the DoF the eye is drawn to that first isn't it
I did think at the time the eye would pick up the word mechanical (not to be).
Cheers again. (y)

You shouldn't be apologising for this - it's interesting, eyecatching and bang on theme. I like the strong shadow across the page because it emphasises the shapes of the set square (?). The slightly desaturated treatment works well with just enough colour in the brass screw and the spirit level. Even the border gets a (y) from me.

And it's not even late - lots of us don't post until Sunday evening. ;)

Another good week, Graham. :)

Jean

Thank you Jean, glad you like the border I know there not everyone's cup of tea. I also appreciate your very positive comments on the overall feel of this image. :)

I think this is a good thought provoking and well constructed shot. Simple is best and the light suits the mood well.

So they say...and sometimes the hardest to get right. Thank you for your kind words (y)

I really like this one. It fits the theme perfectly and I love all the lines. The definition of the word at the bottom really makes the shot, but I would agree with Darren, I would have preferred the screw and spirit level more in focus.

Yes I agree Jenny about the DoF. Thank you Jenny one does try and now its time to get myself to yours. ;)

Jenny

Another positive vote from me.

Simple but effective and a real timeless feel to it.
I was going to say that I found the light and shadows a touch too harsh, but then I noticed the way that the curved shadow wraps around the definition of "mechanic" in the dictionary . . . so I take that back. I think the lighting works perfectly.

Thank you Sarah, I often ask myself when is a shadow a good shadow, learning all the time. Sorry I haven't got to yours (on my way).

Thank you.

Right on the theme, lighting works well and has made a very simple subject stand out.

Cheers for that Dan (y)

Nice use of DoF

I like your take on the theme, as has been said above, a simple and effective image with great use of lighting and shadow to frame the words in the dictionary. Well done

Hi blakester.
I appreciate it - cheers fella. (y)

I really like the shot.

Nice approach to the subject, and the lighting casts somelovely curling shadows. Was the spirit level being level deliberate, or did it just turn out that way? :)

Ian.

Really like it Graham, it works very well for me, and is on theme... The spirit level being level adds to it. As for your lesson... reminds me of my school reports :LOL:

I really like the shot.

Nice approach to the subject, and the lighting casts somelovely curling shadows. Was the spirit level being level deliberate, or did it just turn out that way? :)

Ian.

Hi Ian.
cheers mate, it was deliberate and fiddly too, trying to get the composition right through the viewfinder (must get live view) and holding the level level.

Thanks Ian.

Really like it Graham, it works very well for me, and is on theme... The spirit level being level adds to it. As for your lesson... reminds me of my school reports :LOL:

Thank you John I too thought it made the shot. Mind too, must try harder, pay more attention and detention again.

great interpretation of the theme.. like the lighting and how the shadow falls to highlight the words.. nicely composed too.. :)

That's really good! Nice and simple take on the theme, that works very well - The composition is super. Well done :)

People is an interesting shot Graham. Like most here the subject is lost on me but it fits the theme.

Mechanical is spot on - lovely lighting, good depth of field and nicely framed too.

Hi all,
Work is got in the way of photography:thumbsdown: lots to catch up on and I'll try my best to do just that 'catch-up'. Also trying to upgrade the trusty
D60 to ?????D300 maybe...

my pitiful attempt at Single

It is a single stem, I have the colour version too but this ones lends itself to a more graphic style.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Welcome back Graham!

I suppose you shouldn't really complain that work is going well, but it's irritating when it gets in the way of what you really want to do.

I'm glad that you chose a B&W conversion for this one. I don't think there would have been a lot of colour in the original and the slight blue tint works well. It gives it almost a moonlit feel.

A really simple, elegant image with beautiful detail to it.

My only criticism, and this is a personal taste thing rather than anything else, is that I feel like there's a bit too much open space at the top of the image. I'd like a slightly closer crop.

Not pitiful at all Graham.

I really like it. The mono works well with such a simple subject. I think the positioning is just right with the highlight on the background as it is.

Well done (y)

Andy

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Welcome back Graham!

I suppose you shouldn't really complain that work is going well, but it's irritating when it gets in the way of what you really want to do.

I'm glad that you chose a B&W conversion for this one. I don't think there would have been a lot of colour in the original and the slight blue tint works well. It gives it almost a moonlit feel.

A really simple, elegant image with beautiful detail to it.

My only criticism, and this is a personal taste thing rather than anything else, is that I feel like there's a bit too much open space at the top of the image. I'd like a slightly closer crop.

Absolutely.

Thank you Sarah, :wave:
its good to be back.. .you might be pleasantly surprised with the colour version because it has got a punch to it (may post it) but I thought this one worked better. My reason for the space is purely down to the rule of thirds.

I forgot to mention this was taken outside using natural light.

Thank you so much Sarah...time to do my rounds.

Not pitiful at all Graham.

I really like it. The mono works well with such a simple subject. I think the positioning is just right with the highlight on the background as it is.

Well done (y)

Andy

Thank you, your too kind Andy

It's good to see you back! :)

Single: A simple, elegant image, well positioned and lit. The tinted processing adds to the overall arty look. Good all round! :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

Thank you too Jeangenie, it is good to be here once again.

as mentioned above it was taken outside and the lighting, right place right time. I am glad you like it (less is more!). :wave:

Last edited:
Amazing image, i really like this one. The lighting is spot on.

Did you add the texture to the background yourself or was it already there? That's what makes the image for me, gives it a more raw rustic feel.

Good job (y)

Amazing image, i really like this one. The lighting is spot on.

Did you add the texture to the background yourself or was it already there? That's what makes the image for me, gives it a more raw rustic feel.

Good job (y)

Hi Rich,

thank you very much (y), the BG was added, I used a textured piece of card which I used to single out the stem from all the others.

Thanks again

Welcome back Graham.

I like you photo for single - the PP you have applied works well and the lighting is spot on.

Aha! A 52 I don't have to catch up on. Well done for coming back Graham!

I really like the composition, lighting and tone treatment you've given your shot.

Very nice indeed. Did you choose your position to take the shot relative to the sun then? Because that lighting works really well. Thought into the background with the use of card has gone a long way to "making" this as a strong "single" image.

Good stuff!

Ian.

Well done Graham, good for you getting back on the 52 train again.

That is a lovely image, well shot and well processed, and very much on theme.

Back