Using a YN622-TX flash trigger with Olympus EM5 and possibly other cameras

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm not a complete idiot (there are bits missing ;)) but Is there such a thing an idiots guide to Yongnou flash triggers? I.e. what works with what?

I have a YN622C-TX and some YN622CII Transceivers which have a 560RX mode and a 622 mode. These work fine with my Canon and worked on the centre pin on my Panny G3. However I just got an Olympus OMD EM5 and they don't work, not even the centre pin. A quick google seems to indicate that a YN560 trigger will work with the Olympus and I am guessing that the "560 RX" switch position suggests that the transceivers may work with a 560 TX. However there seems to be different versions of all these things and I would rather not shell out on something that won't work.

Am I also correct in assuming that all Yongnou triggers with all Yongnou speedlightts?

Can anyone shed any light?

BTW I DON'T care about setting the flashes from the camera or ETTL, but I do want to be able to control the flash power (and ideally zoom) from the transmitter on the camera.

I will watch this thread with interest as I have a Canon 5D3 and an Olympus OMD EM5ii. I was considering buying the YN622C-TX and YN622CII.

After some reading I was under the impression that this set up would work and give me ETTL with my Canon camera and would enable me to use it for manual flash with my Olympus as you have stated... i.e. controlling the power and zoom from the transmitter. I think you may need to do a firmware update to get them to work with the Olympus though??

@Bebop - it works fine on my Canon 6D, ETTL and control from the camera menus all works. As for the Olympus, the flashes work direct on the camera but not the YN622 TX

@mpe - Like I said I don't particularly want TTL but I am a but surprised that it doen't work on the centre pin which I would exepct to be pretty universal between cameras and flases.

I have found a solution and since the whole World Wide Web doesn't seem to know the answer I thought I would change the title of this thread on the off-chance that someone else is searching for a answer.

Anyway the simple hack is to stick a piece of electrical tape over the rear 4 contacts on the hotshoe, leaving just the centre pin exposed. My guess is that the Olympus OMD EM5 mark II and possibly other cameras are sending signals that confuse the YN622-TX, by isolating everything but the centre pin the YN622 is happy to just fire off the centre pin.

BTW there is a suggestion somewhere on the WWW that updating the firmware on the 622 fixes the problem however I couldn't get the firmware updater to work on Windows 10 so I resorted to the solution above.

I tried doing this tape hack, but it did not work either on my 622c tx
It can be updated on win10 though, I did the same and it still doesn't work. So, all in all IT WON'T WORK WITH OLYMPUS

Last edited:
I do like the idea of a Yongnuo thread for triggers and flashes for use with various camera systems it would be useful for all our fellow Togs seasoned or new to photography.
I have found Phil V to be extremely helpful and very knowledgable in this field as well as other fields.
It appears Godax have taken big steps in this direction and many of there items are sold by third parties under a different brand name.

I think the Cactus V6ii will work on different models, but from what I read on another thread it sounds like you have to connect them to a computer each time you want to switch manufacturer.

For some reason not all YN triggers and flashes work on the same signal impulses - if that's the correct terminology!
Some units won't talk to other units. I've never found a definitive list of what talks to what.
And trying to ask YN is a thankless task!

In the end I gave up on the Yongnuos on the EM5 and just bought some very cheap single pin wirless triggers off fleabay, they do the job reliably.

In the end I gave up on the Yongnuos on the EM5 and just bought some very cheap single pin wirless triggers off fleabay, they do the job reliably.

I smithed to Godox system of speedlights and triggers which are cross compatible with the correct trigger and any of the later godox flashes.

I own the YN622C mk1 transceivers and the YN622C TX controller. I also own some YN 560 Mk IV flashes and a YN560 TX (not the later Pro version).

I use the YN622C transceivers on my Canon 5D2 to power my studio flashes in manual mode. The same transceivers work very reliably on my Olympus OMD EM1 mk1 and my Panasonic GH3. I have not tried to use the TX on the M43 cameras, which will only support manual mode in any case. I could use the Canon and 622C and TX combination when I want ETTL and am using ETTL flash, mainly Metz flash guns in my case, but again have not yet needed to do so. 622's are quite chunky beasts, but never miss a beat unless a button is hit in error.

The 560 series TX and flash guns I bought for peanuts, Again, these are manual only flashes, the TX enables me to remotely adjust flash power from the camera which is very useful. I haven't tried to use these on my M43 cameras but can see no reason why they would not work. The flash guns are powerful and have a very simple and straight forward interface, for what I paid, they are remarkably good value.

Where it all starts to fall apart is Youngnuo's poor cross compatibility in it's own range. I believe it is feasible to get a 622 transceiver to talk to a 560 series flash via a firmware upgrade. The compatibilty issues are the prime reason why most users recommend Godox.

The picture clearly shows the rather sorry state of Youngnuo's compatibilty.
yn560txpro-compatibility-553x745.jpg.optimal.jpg

Back