weekly Vanishedbob's 52 Thread 2020

Nice shot - gritty as has been said. I shoot a few of these events every year.

The wider shot gets my vote.

For me it's the wider angle as it gives it a bit more 'grounding'. Great colours and the PP is very nice indeed.

Great shot - the cropped version for me too. Great timing - I've run one full and a handful of halfs and haven't seen any of the official togs get anything like this - much better than the usual.

Small: Great capture of the Swan and Cygnets they are so cute and fluffy.

Snappers Choice: Cropped version for me it has more of a dramatic fell to it.

Week 26. Mother Nature.

This Lion is carved onto the side of the famous United Reform Church which is part of the English Heritage Site of Saltaire in West Yorkshire. Mother Nature has given him a spot of her own kind of Acne!

IMG_2079-2 by 4444 Photography, on Flickr

by 4444 Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nicely processed David, water looks almost black...or that might be the Leeds / Liverpool canal!
Lovely picture, nothing else I can add really, I like it :clap:
Baby Swans - can't miss :D

Looks like Dad
Beautiful image for small, lovely little things too.
Lovely image and great textures. So cute!
Nice family group David. Well taken and processed
Hidden shot is superb, like the swans too.
Small
Who wouldn't like a baby bird photo?
I like the subdued background, it really helps to show off the Swan family.
Very nice - would work great in B&W, but very nice in colour.
Love the shot (the crop is the stronger version imo).
Action, expression, determination. The image tells a story :clap: Shot of the week I feel.
The first seems to have a photo-realistic high quality painting look to it, which may be from the slight resolution/quality change with cropping combined with great contrast, but either way it is very striking. The more you look at it the more details seem to emerge, which for me gives the crop a lead over the wider shot.
The crop works well for me because of the reflections in the sunglasses showing the road ahead - not so prominent in the uncropped image.
Good shot, crop works well, not my idea of fun!
#1 for me too, David.
tis nice expressive portrait.
Great gritty sports portrait. I like the reflections in the sun glasses too.
Nice shot - gritty as has been said. I shoot a few of these events every year.

The wider shot gets my vote.
For me it's the wider angle as it gives it a bit more 'grounding'. Great colours and the PP is very nice indeed.
Great shot - the cropped version for me too. Great timing - I've run one full and a handful of halfs and haven't seen any of the official togs get anything like this - much better than the usual.
Small: Great capture of the Swan and Cygnets they are so cute and fluffy.

Snappers Choice: Cropped version for me it has more of a dramatic fell to it.

Apologies for the late catch up. But once again, thank you all so much. I value all your opinion and critique vast amounts.

Hi David

Nicely spotted and linked to the theme. Interesting placement of the lions head in the Image. I like the texture.

Pete

Difficult lighting conditions there.
Would it have been possible to do one of:
1. wait for more light on him
2. use lights to illuminate him on the right
3. use a reflector to give him more light on the right

Hits the theme well, but the lighting needs working on imo.

Hi David

Nicely spotted and linked to the theme. Interesting placement of the lions head in the Image. I like the texture.

Pete
Hi David, that's an unusual shot, loads of detail.
Really unusual - and not in a bad way. I like the way that the head seems to be lurking in the shade - and nicely linked to the theme ;)

Thank you all. It was a bit of a shoehorn on the subject if I'm being honest.

Difficult lighting conditions there.
Would it have been possible to do one of:
1. wait for more light on him
2. use lights to illuminate him on the right
3. use a reflector to give him more light on the right

Hits the theme well, but the lighting needs working on imo.

Thank you. It is processed like that to be honest. I was aiming for a "With the Beatles" half and half shadow effect but couldn't get it so I was happy with it. This was my favourite attempt. I actually edited the moss out at first but then thought I could use it for Mother Nature on here went with the moss zits.

Thank you. It is processed like that to be honest. I was aiming for a "With the Beatles" half and half shadow effect but couldn't get it so I was happy with it. This was my favourite attempt. I actually edited the moss out at first but then thought I could use it for Mother Nature on here went with the moss zits.
Ah fair enough,I had to google that to understand the effect you were after. Difficult without complete control of the lighting I feel.

Would some additional PP helped achieve the "With the Beatles" effect? My first thoughts would be the gradient filter in LR which you could drag from the right across to the left until happy and play with the various exposure tools?

Week 27. Signs

As I have been struggling for inspiration I submit a newly edited archive this week. Taken on the platform of on Haworth Station, part of the Keighley Worth Valley Railway last year. I suppose it's a bit of a shoehorn too as the intended subject was the passenger and the signs a nice extra.

8821AAAA2Aa-110 by 4444 Photography, on Flickr

Not a shoehorn at all, I like how the passenger is looking your way it’s a nice shot

No shoehorn from me either, it fits right in David.

No, it's not a shoehorn to me either. Nice processing although for me i'm a bit unsure about the 'softness' in the grass and foreground as it looks a bit to 'smooth' if you know what I mean (but that's personal taste and doesn't detract from a great image with a story to tell).

Fab shot - I recognised Haworth straight away :)

Nice composition, good candidate for the technical I would have thought as well.

Week 28. Secure. (or not as the case may be)

No Secure devices please!

The misery guts' on Central Pier at Blackpool making very clear that they don't approve of romantic gestures.

IMG_3149 by 4444 Photography, on Flickr

Brutal sign. I like the processing and the hues in the sky.

Nicely seen and taken - kind of makes me want to get the biggest strongest padlock I can find to fix to the sign...

The muted hues suit the subject nicely.

Yep - nice take on the theme.

I like it and really like the processing.

My only comment would be that it seems to suffering from distortion on the RHS - unless the pier is curved, in which case ignore me.

Had a quick go at correcting it. (Hope you don't mind.)

50110677398_13b537a670_o.2.jpg

Last edited:
I like it and really like the processing.

My only comment would be that it seems to suffering from distortion on the RHS - unless the pier is curved, in which case ignore me.

Had a quick go at correcting it. (Hope you don't mind.)

View attachment 286484

Don't mind at all. The Pier does have a curve at the end. You can see it better on the below pic taken just after. There's a rogue padlock there too if you look closely.

IMG_3151 by 4444 Photography, on Flickr

Signs
I think you're doing yourself a disservice, the signs play an important part of the photo.

Secure
Another good shot, it's simple, but does all that it needs to for the theme.
You're right, what an old misery guts they must be.

Signs - a great archive shot.
Secure - the 'gritty' processing fits the sign - very tempting to fit a padlock next to it.

Back