Vanishedbob's All New Fifty Two. Year 2.

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Week 1. Fruit Scone, Strawberry Jam and Clotted Cream. And hopefully full enough for technique.

The missus did some baking, it contained fruit, I was struggling for inspiration, so I took a photo. I haven't any love or experience of food photography, so was always going to struggle this week and it shows.

BTW it rhymes with Zone, not Gone.

IMG_9728-2 by 4444 Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
That looks tasty and you can see all the different textures well.Did you use flash or is it just overhead lighting?

I'd agree with the pronunciation... but I can see you haven't committed to which goes on first, cream or jam :D

That looks tasty and you can see all the different textures well.Did you use flash or is it just overhead lighting?

I'd agree with the pronunciation... but I can see you haven't committed to which goes on first, cream or jam :D

Overhead lighting in the form of one of those portable studio box things.

Cream of course.

Fruit
I do like a scone and jam. Good composition and it's all in focus.
I'm hungry now.

That's making me hungry.. just needs construction. Originally I am from up norf so totally agree with the pronunciation...

Now is it jam first then cream or cream first and then jam?

Week 1. Fruit Scone, Strawberry Jam and Clotted Cream. And hopefully full enough for technique.

The missus did some baking, it contained fruit, I was struggling for inspiration, so I took a photo. I haven't any love or experience of food photography, so was always going to struggle this week and it shows.

IMG_9728-2 by 4444 Photography, on Flickr
Nice shot, I do enjoy a cream tea and that made my mouth water (y)
BTW it rhymes with Zone, not Gone.
No it doesn't :D

good composition and you have caught the different textures nicely

Nice bit of grub there!

Needs butter :)

I was thinking of doing similar with our chickens which look pretty miserable at the moment in all this mud.

Not sure if I've had too much wine but it looks like we're sloping off the left hand side of the image. Really like the way the horse's eye "pops" too. Such a tiny thing but it has quite a bit of prominance for me.

Perhaps an unfortunate effect of a hill? but the fence, wires and horizon all dropping to the left give the impression that the camera wasn't level when taking the image. Of course, it's impossible for us to know, and could very easily be bang on. But as @Harlequin565 says, it does feel like it slopes to the left.

That said, that's a moody sky yet quite vibrant where there is still grass in amongst all the mud ! :)

Week 3. Stone.

This is a stone clock, picture frame and armchair. It can be found in the Little Germany Area of Bradford which is little over a five minute walk from the City Centre. I don't know what it's relevance is. The area is named Little Germany, because it's architecture is modelled on German cities, due to a heavy presence of German Wool Barons in the City during the Industrial Revolution. It is quite a popular tourist destination, houses the Bradford Playhouse, some tributes to one of it's famous sons David Hockney and of course a stone clock, armchair and picture frame.

IMG_9796 by 4444 Photography, on Flickr

Nice subject. Maybe a bit heavy handed with the processing though for me.

Interesting stuffs :) I like the processing :)

Dirty
I like that. I suspect that the ground is a bit of a slope, the trees in the background are pretty upright. Nice processing too.

Stone
Lovely textures and tones in the wall and paving. A stone clock, armchair and picture frame, does seem a little random.

Last edited:
Fruit
I do like a scone and jam. Good composition and it's all in focus.
I'm hungry now.
Well balanced, could be a poster on a tea shop wall.

It is a tricky one ...

and for non-pros ... www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwIFkQIoA9g

Tip #1 - The window light is the magic light
That's making me hungry.. just needs construction. Originally I am from up norf so totally agree with the pronunciation...
Now is it jam first then cream or cream first and then jam?
Nice shot, I do enjoy a cream tea and that made my mouth water (y)

No it doesn't :D
Oh no it doesn't :D
Nice image David, it looks good enough to eat :D

Easy, cream on one half jam on the other,
Then rotate to preference (y)
good composition and you have caught the different textures nicely
Oh yes it does !
Quite a crunchy feel to the shot. Well lit (better than mine was), pretty good for a genre you're not into.
Nice bit of grub there!

Needs butter :)
That definitely works for me - looks delicious!

For "out of comfort zone" - hats off to you!!
Nice composition, plenty of detail, well lit, the big question is jam or cream first!

Thanks all. Def rhymes with Zone. Def Cream first. It was delicious too. Troughed it straight after the photo.

I was thinking of doing similar with our chickens which look pretty miserable at the moment in all this mud.

Not sure if I've had too much wine but it looks like we're sloping off the left hand side of the image. Really like the way the horse's eye "pops" too. Such a tiny thing but it has quite a bit of prominance for me.
Perhaps an unfortunate effect of a hill? but the fence, wires and horizon all dropping to the left give the impression that the camera wasn't level when taking the image. Of course, it's impossible for us to know, and could very easily be bang on. But as @Harlequin565 says, it does feel like it slopes to the left.

That said, that's a moody sky yet quite vibrant where there is still grass in amongst all the mud ! :)
Even though it slopes to the left I really do like this, how the little ponies eye just pops is great.

It's probably a bit of both regards the sloping. The field does slope, but nothing major, but it was very muddy and I was eager to keep on my feet and not drag too much mud back to the car, so rushed the shoot a little bit.

Nice subject. Maybe a bit heavy handed with the processing though for me.
Interesting stuffs :) I like the processing :)
Interesting picture and story, I like the PP too
Dirty
I like that. I suspect that the ground is a bit of a slope, the trees in the background are pretty upright. Nice processing too.

Stone
Lovely textures and tones in the wall and paving. A stone clock, armchair and picture frame, does seem a little random.
Good story, and totally love the old look PP.

The processing was intentional to bring out the "stoneyness" a bit more. In hindsight I might have toned it down a bit. But I still like it.

Thank you all again for your comments.

Last edited:
Good back story & nicely processed (y)

Dirty & Stone ... two really strong images, both nicely processed.

Dirty - a lot of mud indeed his eye really stands out
Stone - I like that an interesting subject and back story great image.

Stone- really like this processing. If you cloned out the yellow lines and white lines bottom left then it would add to the timeless feel it has for me

The eye contact with the horse is great - and it most certainly meets the brief! The only slight detraction is the off kilter horizon.''

Your stone picture is really interesting and an area I had no idea existed! Glad to see the clock is right twice a day, but the seat doesn't look that comfy...

Good back story & nicely processed (y)
Dirty & Stone ... two really strong images, both nicely processed.
Dirty - a lot of mud indeed his eye really stands out
Stone - I like that an interesting subject and back story great image.
Stone- really like this processing. If you cloned out the yellow lines and white lines bottom left then it would add to the timeless feel it has for me
The eye contact with the horse is great - and it most certainly meets the brief! The only slight detraction is the off kilter horizon.''

Your stone picture is really interesting and an area I had no idea existed! Glad to see the clock is right twice a day, but the seat doesn't look that comfy...
I had some difficulty working out your stone shot. It looked like a painting at first.

Very nice though.

Lovely comments. Thank you.

Dirty. I'd have corrected the slope in PP and maybe cropped under the power lines. Great shot otherwise though.
Stone. I really like the processing on this. Nicely done (y)

I really like your stone shot nicely processed, being picky I probably would have cloned out the yellow lines and the new cafe sign to the left in the photo, it would then have more of an aged feel to it, rather than an old/modern fusion. Lovely subject and different (y)

Really interesting back story and quite some sculpture. It has an old feel but with a modern edge.

Nice simple image with a beautiful range of tones. I'd like to see either more or less of the label I think, but the colouring and lighting is beautiful.

It's hard not to like a shot with Buffalo Trace in it!

It's a tiny, personal thing, but I'd have turned the bottle a little just so the buffalo's face wasn't hidden, even at the expense of losing the 'B'. Lovely tones though, it looks really good viewed large.

Back