Vdubster's Photo52 for 2011 Week 42 - Weave added!!! (Index in 1st post)

Hi James

great idea & capture for the theme....the cropped version works better for me as (per others) you see more of the detail :clap:

The montage does work but can't help feeling that the 1st shot would have been better with the the bulb caught in the act of falling just before the impact ?

great work though (y)

Last edited:
Hi James,

I totally know how difficult this was for you and wonder how many bulbs you went through. I lost 4 eggs in doing a very similar shot!

The first picture is pointless IMHO as if fails to capture the falling bulb.
Considering this, and the well timed capture of the impact, I would have just posted the impact shot.

Hiya James,

Have to say what a pity it was that so much detail has been lost in the triptych because I think it would have made a great set if as has been commented about having the motion of the falling bulb in the first shot (obviously with a poo free background :D)

I do, however, like the single cropped shot, which has more detail and fits the theme well.

Well done this must have been a tricky shot to get.

Cheers

Dawn :)

all that poo :cautious::LOL: well joking aside that didnt distract me it was the gravel behind maybe better with a black background to show the glass better but great idea

I like the second one, the close crop brings out the bright colours so it fits the theme better and I do like the very oof background. Nice image.

Hiya James,

Beautiful flowers and the bright colours fit the theme well.

Have to say I prefer #2 out of the set the flowers stand out well against the lovely DOF.

#1 and #3 seem a bit too busy and the backgrounds are a tad distracting and overpower the main subject.

Also with #3 I think the composition could be improved on especially regards the slanting object in the background.

So it is definitely #2 for me, well done I think this is lovely.

Cheers

Hi, there...

#1, I like this one a lot, it has a kind of dreamy atmosphere. I like the dof and perspective. Can I ask the settings and where you focused?

#2, lovely colours but a bit close for me.

#3, almost as good as #1 for me. Again, the colours and really great, as is the depth. Not sure about the fence or the orange/yellowish leaf behind the fence.

Overall, I really like the dreamy feeling these photographs convey.

(y)

No 1 for me, though I feel something weird is happening in the background

#2 Looks slightly like an imressionistic painting, it feels oof but I'm not sure it is :thinking:

#3 has a blown top left corner and I find it distracting :shrug:

Thanks

#1 Weird?

I like the second one, the close crop brings out the bright colours so it fits the theme better and I do like the very oof background. Nice image.

Thanks, I like this one as well but I like #1 better :)

Hiya James,

Beautiful flowers and the bright colours fit the theme well.

Have to say I prefer #2 out of the set the flowers stand out well against the lovely DOF.

#1 and #3 seem a bit too busy and the backgrounds are a tad distracting and overpower the main subject.

Also with #3 I think the composition could be improved on especially regards the slanting object in the background.

So it is definitely #2 for me, well done I think this is lovely.

Cheers

Thanks Dawn, I agree with your comments RE the background my back garden doesn't have a lot of non busy backgrounds :(

I actually like number 3 followed by number 2. Even though the top left hand corner is blown, I think it adds to the picture and is quite fitting for the theme. Flowers like these are awkward to get right. I think number 2 would have been top if the insides of the flowers had retained more detail.

Thanks

Hi, there...

#1, I like this one a lot, it has a kind of dreamy atmosphere. I like the dof and perspective. Can I ask the settings and where you focused?

#2, lovely colours but a bit close for me.

#3, almost as good as #1 for me. Again, the colours and really great, as is the depth. Not sure about the fence or the orange/yellowish leaf behind the fence.

Overall, I really like the dreamy feeling these photographs convey.

(y)

Thanks the photo was taken with my new 50mm f/1.8 and a shutter speed on 1/1250sec and the focus point was the flower in the center on the shot, i also had the camera facing up the plant.

2nd one for me.

#1 is OOF at the top of the flower stem, which I find distracting as I think all the stem should be in focus.

The background in #3 is brighter on the left than the right which I'm not comfortable with.

Thanks.

Seems we all like different shots, lol.

For me #1 is the one i'm happiest with I like the dof and how the sun is shining on the flowers.

Thanks all

James

Hi James

Lovely captures for Bright (y)

The DOF & lighting on nu1 work really well , just a shame about the top being cropped off & the stray stem to the right also being cropped .Fits the theme though & beautiful colors (y)
N2 is the shot for me , the close up working better & capturing the light on the petals really well (y)

Not so keen on n3 but then , as has been said before we all like different things & the important bit is which one you prefer & that you're happy with

Good work :)

So week 25 had an idea from day one and could only pull it off today, it's not a great shot I know but it's of what I wanted and the best I could get.

Rescue - Week 25 by j.fordham, on Flickr

Also took another shot in case the above didn't happen and i'm post 2 versions on it both I like, but i do need some help. How do i get a correctly exposed sky and subject?

Rescue_3 by j.fordham, on Flickr

Rescue_2 by j.fordham, on Flickr

Thanks

James

Also took another shot in case the above didn't happen and i'm post 2 versions on it both I like, but i do need some help. How do i get a correctly exposed sky and subject?

Thanks

James

Three ways:

1: Use a ND grad to push the sky back a few stops. Difficult if other elements of the shot intrude into the skyline.

2: Multiple exposure. Needs camera to be locked off on a sturdy tripod, and everything set to manual. Expose one for foreground, one for sky, and mix in Photoshop.

3: Expose for the sky, shoot in RAW, and bring back the rest in Lightroom, or other software package. Or better still, use off camera flash to illuminate your subject, and expose for the sky.

Rgds

Adie

Last edited:
Hiya James,

I like all three of your photos for rescue, but my fav has to be #3.

The first is very busy and I'm not sure about the reflections .... but I like the colour and how it fits with the theme.

I like the composition in #2 & #3 ... it's a pity about the sky but still on theme. I like the selective colouring in #3, which I think works well.

Adie's tips are good advice. I recently learned about exposing for the sky whilst on a tutored photo-walk a couple of weeks ago and now am making good use of same. I don't have ND grads (something I still need to invest in), however I have tried the multiple exposures before, but couldn't seem to get it right in post processing (still need practice on that one).

Overall though, I think you have done well for the week.

Cheers

Hi, James, you could have tried a polarising filter on #1 to get rid of some of the reflections.

#2 and #3 fit the theme well. #2 for me: I like the contrast between the red and blue. Nice depth as well. It's a tad tight on the right and top for me. The sky's been mentioned.

Cheers.

A good set of imges which fit the theme perfectly.

#2 and #3 are more appealing to me. I'm torn between the two. The blue of the huts adds interest and is a good contrast to the red. The limited DOF works very well.

Adie's advice is good, but you had a difficult lighting situation. Off-camera flash would be best, but even your pop-up flash would help. A £35 flash off fleabay would do the trick.

It has to be No1 for me... just shouts rescue more than the other two for me! I like the odd angle... and the fact its not an obvious shot of a lifeboat... but you know what it is and shouts the theme!

Good Work!

Mark

Three ways:

1: Use a ND grad to push the sky back a few stops. Difficult if other elements of the shot intrude into the skyline.

2: Multiple exposure. Needs camera to be locked off on a sturdy tripod, and everything set to manual. Expose one for foreground, one for sky, and mix in Photoshop.

3: Expose for the sky, shoot in RAW, and bring back the rest in Lightroom, or other software package. Or better still, use off camera flash to illuminate your subject, and expose for the sky.

Rgds

Adie

Thanks for the help, I'll take a look at getting some filters when funds allow

Hiya James,

I like all three of your photos for rescue, but my fav has to be #3.

The first is very busy and I'm not sure about the reflections .... but I like the colour and how it fits with the theme.

I like the composition in #2 & #3 ... it's a pity about the sky but still on theme. I like the selective colouring in #3, which I think works well.

Adie's tips are good advice. I recently learned about exposing for the sky whilst on a tutored photo-walk a couple of weeks ago and now am making good use of same. I don't have ND grads (something I still need to invest in), however I have tried the multiple exposures before, but couldn't seem to get it right in post processing (still need practice on that one).

Overall though, I think you have done well for the week.

Cheers

Thanks Dawn, I still have a lot to learn but seems to struggle with 2 things more, correct exposure of the whole image and composition. Needs to go back to my books i think.

Hi, James, you could have tried a polarising filter on #1 to get rid of some of the reflections.

#2 and #3 fit the theme well. #2 for me: I like the contrast between the red and blue. Nice depth as well. It's a tad tight on the right and top for me. The sky's been mentioned.

Cheers.

Thanks

Hi James, like the life boat shot, would have been spot on without the reflections. Of your others I prefer number 2 with the selective colouring. Depending on what software you have, it might be worth having a play with the highlight and shadow adjustments. You have done well. (y)

Thanks, i use PSE 9 for my editing I'll have a play thanks for the advice.

A good set of imges which fit the theme perfectly.

#2 and #3 are more appealing to me. I'm torn between the two. The blue of the huts adds interest and is a good contrast to the red. The limited DOF works very well.

Adie's advice is good, but you had a difficult lighting situation. Off-camera flash would be best, but even your pop-up flash would help. A £35 flash off fleabay would do the trick.

Thanks, I actually have a flash but it didn't hit me to use it in this type on shot. So would i have exposed for the sky and use the flash to hand the rest?

Hi James

I really like your #1 shot. As said a polarising filter could have solved your reflection issues. The other two don't work for me as the sky is devoid of interest but also take a lot of the 'real estate'

Thanks

Hi,

Well half way point and time for my first joker, really wasn't going to have anything for this week as i dont have a lady friend for the typical "Sensual" shots and there no way in hell i'm posing for it, lol.

Also dont have the confidence (or money) for a model shoot.

So here my joker, my dog Aeryn and my Mum's dog Mya, taken with my new 50mm f/1.8

Aeryn by j.fordham, on Flickr

Mya by j.fordham, on Flickr

Thanks

James

Last edited:
Hiya James

Lovely photos of the Aeryn and Mya.

It's a pity you just clipped the bottom of Aeryn's mouth

Actually coming to think of it you have captured the theme in these images, i.e. the senses .... eyes, ears, mouth, nose. And considering dogs have an acute sense of all I think it fits the theme well.

So I wouldn't consider this a Joker shot.

Well done

Cheers

Hi!

Sensual does not need to be sexual have a lady in the shot!

How about touch and feel... think out the box a bit more.. I'm sure this early in the week the joker is not really required!

That said both shots of the dogs are great pics!

Mark

james..how about someone tickling your dog's belly ... their soft coats could be construde as sensual... crop in on the hand .. just an idea..?

I agree about your dogs being sensual, we humans are so distanced from our senses whereas the dogs are living through them ;)

Aeryn is beautiful, chocolate lab? They know where ALL the food is ;) As Dawn says you just clipped her lower lip and I would prefer her to have lain down in a more evenly lit spot but that's animals for you :shrug:

Mya looks gorgeous also (y) I would suggest you try these shots from on the floor level with them :) They might try and :help: of course.

Well done :D

Love your shots for Rescue...particularly the SC version...works really well for me :clap:

The 2nd shot for Sensual is a really great shot ,great expression & DOF draws you to her eye's...well done for thinking outside the box for this theme (y)

Hiya James,

I like your 2nd shots for sensual ... however I still think the first shots fit the theme better.

Cheers

Thought i'd take part in this years Project 52 as a way to improve my Photography. Only got my dSLR late last year so still learning :)

**Jokers**

I have limited myself to a total of 5 jokers for the Project 52

My Project 52 Submissions:

Part I Here

[post=3825628]Week 27 - Elaborate[/post]

Thanks

James

Last edited:
Hiya James

Wow that is one 'elaborate' time piece ;)

Not sure about the composition .... may have worked better if it had been photographed on its own without the background as it is ...... I keep trying to figure out what it is next to the clock ... is that a printer?

As for the subject fitting the theme ... I think you have clocked it there :D

Cheers

Back