VERO, Yet another social media app

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
So there's a new photo sharing app that getting a bit of buzz, it's called Vero.

It looks interesting and I have signed up. The Android app is buggy, but it is a beta.
Will this attract more then just other photographers? It needs Jo public to sign up and use it. Will it succeed? I don't think so, don't get me wrong I'm all for taking on Instagram but that is so ingrained now that it'll be a mammoth task to get even close and take some major financial investment. And that money has to come from somewhere, so for now it's free but at some point the investors want a return so Vero with have to make money somehow.

For the none photographer, what does Vero offer that Instagram does not?

Terms and condition on it are interesting.

When you agree to them you are agreeing to them getting a perpetual licence to distribute your content royalty free including the option for them to modify and sell on as they see fit.

Last edited:

When you agree to them you are agreeing to them getting a perpetual licence to distribute your content royalty free including the option for them to modify and sell on as they see fit.
I wonder how many people have even read the T&C

Don’t know what you were reading but that’s not what I read. Just like any social media site you give them limited rights in order for the service to work

Phone-only and you give them your images? That's going to be a real winner (not).

You don’t give them your images at all

• You are and shall remain the owner of the User Content (as defined in Section 2 below) you create, provide or otherwise make available through the Service and Vero claims no ownership rights to your User Content; however, in this Agreement you grant Vero a limited license to your User Content to: (a) provide the Service; and (b) to use your User Content for the limited uses identified in our Privacy Policy.

That's not quite what I read - where did you see that?

Have you read T&Cs of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram?.. They are not looking good at all but still almost nobody cares.

You don’t give them your images at all

• You are and shall remain the owner of the User Content (as defined in Section 2 below) you create, provide or otherwise make available through the Service and Vero claims no ownership rights to your User Content; however, in this Agreement you grant Vero a limited license to your User Content to: (a) provide the Service; and (b) to use your User Content for the limited uses identified in our Privacy Policy.

Interesting - I was assuming the poster I quoted had read the T&Cs. Still sucks to be phone-only, but I'll think much better of the venture in that case.

That's not quite what I read - where did you see that?

Somebody posted it on the review of the app.

This is pasted from the Vero terms and conditions.

In accordance with your choice of the privacy settings offered by the Service, by posting or otherwise making available any User Content on or through the Service, you hereby grant, and you represent and warrant that you have all rights necessary to grant, to Vero a limited, royalty-free, sublicensable, transferable, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, worldwide license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, list information regarding, translate, distribute, syndicate, publicly perform, publicly display, make derivative works of, or otherwise use your User Content, including (without limitation) your name, voice, and/or likeness as it is contained within your User Content, in whole or in part, and in any form, media or technology, whether now known or hereafter developed.

Last edited:

This is pasted from the Vero terms and conditions.

In accordance with your choice of the privacy settings offered by the Service, by posting or otherwise making available any User Content on or through the Service, you hereby grant, and you represent and warrant that you have all rights necessary to grant, to Vero a limited, royalty-free, sublicensable, transferable, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, worldwide license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, list information regarding, translate, distribute, syndicate, publicly perform, publicly display, make derivative works of, or otherwise use your User Content, including (without limitation) your name, voice, and/or likeness as it is contained within your User Content, in whole or in part, and in any form, media or technology, whether now known or hereafter developed.

And the next paragraph says

This license is being used by Vero solely as necessary to provide the Service, and for such other limited uses identified in our Privacy Policy. This license is not being used by Vero to sell your User Content to third parties or otherwise profit off of your User Content in any way unrelated to Vero providing and promoting the Service, and it does not give Vero any rights to own your User Content or limit your ability to use your User Content however you wish outside of the Service.

Interesting - I was assuming the poster I quoted had read the T&Cs. Still sucks to be phone-only, but I'll think much better of the venture in that case.

I’ve downloaded it on my phone and I like it. All the photographers I follow are on there. I hope they sort out an iPad version. I only have a small phone :(

It's always good to check your sources before making comments here in the forums - just because you read it somewhere on the internet doesn't mean it's true.

As ecoleman has shown, and from what I'd read when I looked at the t's and c's, the use is solely to allow them to provide the service, and isn't to sell your images.

Have you read T&Cs of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram?.. They are not looking good at all but still almost nobody cares.
They only ‘don’t look good’ if you’re an idiot conspiracy theorist. For anyone with the slightest knowledge of how copyright works, you’re just agreeing to them sharing your images (which is the reason you uploaded them).

Alternatively you could explain how they could host and share my images (again, what we want them to do) without those T&C’s.

Genuinely interested.

There seem to be rumours floating around that Instagram/Facebook are not happy about Vero at all and are blocking Vero users IG accounts - not sure how that's possible as the 2 aren't linked?

I'm happy to give it a look though...

**ETA - Signed up and tried t make a first post - failed 3 times to upload, so have given up for now, will try again later, hopefully just a bug as it's still a beta

Last edited:
The difference I think between Vero and Instagram is there will be no Algorithm complications, your feed will be timed when people upload rather than when the app says you should see it which is miles better.

I read an article that said they will start charging for use after the first million users however if you're in that first million your subscription will remain free. I like it thus far, I like that the share between Vero and Twitter gives a preview of what you've uploaded too, something that Instagram took away.

It's always good to check your sources before making comments here in the forums - just because you read it somewhere on the internet doesn't mean it's true.

As ecoleman has shown, and from what I'd read when I looked at the t's and c's, the use is solely to allow them to provide the service, and isn't to sell your images.

As already explained I read what I posted on a review on the app store one of the very few Vero did not respond too, which I found interesting. I also copied and pasted text directly from Vero's own website.

This part of their terms and conditions seems to be the opposite of them only using your media for the purpose of publishing it on the app. "reproduce, modify, publish, list information regarding, translate, distribute, syndicate, publicly perform, publicly display, make derivative works of, or otherwise use your User Content"

I guess it will be interesting to see how long it lasts for, they will have to make money somehow at some point the only way to do that is to use a subscription model which will never work or incorporate adverts and go the way of Instagram and Facebook. The problem is that if it is successful at some point they will have no option but to implement the same algorithms that Instagram & Facebook use which is pretty much it's major selling point at the moment.

Also interesting that the o.p described it as a photo sharing app which it isn't. You can share photos using it but that isn't it's main purpose. It's much more like Facebook than Instagram.

Last edited:
Managed to make a first post, received a few likes and a couple of followers - quite a lot of empty streams so far, will be interesting to see how it develops - will it become the social media of choice amongst photographers or will it be overrun with bloggers and marketers like IG

As already explained I read what I posted on a review on the app store one of the very few Vero did not respond too, which I found interesting. I also copied and pasted text directly from Vero's own website.

This part of their terms and conditions seems to be the opposite of them only using your media for the purpose of publishing it on the app. "reproduce, modify, publish, list information regarding, translate, distribute, syndicate, publicly perform, publicly display, make derivative works of, or otherwise use your User Content"

I guess it will be interesting to see how long it lasts for, they will have to make money somehow at some point the only way to do that is to use a subscription model which will never work or incorporate adverts and go the way of Instagram and Facebook. The problem is that if it is successful at some point they will have no option but to implement the same algorithms that Instagram & Facebook use which is pretty much it's major selling point at the moment.

Also interesting that the o.p described it as a photo sharing app which it isn't. You can share photos using it but that isn't it's main purpose. It's much more like Facebook than Instagram.

It's not its main purpose but they're pushing it like it is IMO with featured Hashtags like #BehindtheLens etc. I think it'll take off, it seems to be gathering pace.

I've made an account if anyone wants to give me a follow my user is Daniel Paul Photo (y)

It will be interesting to see whether it becomes another IG or goes more like Ello, which is a much more 'niche' art sharing site.

I’ve downloaded it on my phone and I like it. All the photographers I follow are on there. I hope they sort out an iPad version. I only have a small phone :(

And i use a winpho, which means probably means no apps at all. :whistle:

Downloaded it, doesn't seem to want to search for locations and when I post it comes up with unable to post.... Might uninstall and re install.

Some people have described Vero as being more like Pinterest than Instagram since photos and videos are only a part of what you can share, the other types being links, music, movies/tv, books, and places. And it seems that you're limited as to where you can share the music, books, and so on from. As Forbes says in a recent article:

"Sharing pics isn't Vero's only trick, though. You can share music, books, and movies that you'd like to recommend (or pan). This creates a mini-review, with a link to the media on the appropriate store for either your Android or iDevice. Vero gets a portion of the sale if someone buys through your link, but they disclose that in their business model. It's how they're offsetting the lack of ads." (2nd page of the article)

They announced yesterday that they've solved the problem of signups either not happening at all or waking you up at 3 in the morning with an SMS, and they've also solved the problem that many people had with being able to post anything.

Downloaded it, doesn't seem to want to search for locations and when I post it comes up with unable to post.... Might uninstall and re install.

Yeah the location seems buggy on mine too, it's in BETA after all!

Seems to be "working" now.... Although the suggested Hastags seem pretty weird. #Photagraphy ???

Vero is in still in 'Beta' test. You should not expect everything to work flawlessly and can expect slowdowns from their servers. This is something that they really need to point out up-front for those not used to being Beta testers. To get this 'out there' they really do need a desktop app as well as ones for mobile use. The business model of charging for access (after the first million sign ups) is an interesting twist, not sure how that will pan out. Will give it a fair trial and report back,

Just had this email from Vero Support. Although I’m not sure why the app can’t work on iPad if it already works on a phone. They both use the same OS.

Hi there,

Thank you for your message.

Vero is currently available on iOS and Android phones only. We are looking to expand to different platforms in the future, including iPad! I apologize for any inconvenience.

Thanks,

Suraya
Vero Support

Last edited:
Just tried signing up and after a lot of faff anf two codes, etc. it told me I had made too many attempts and had to wait 10 mins before trying again. I have uninstalled it.

It might be in beta (beta means feature complete but expect some bugs) but they are going nowhere if the sign up doesn't work at this stage, especially when their model seems to be free lifetime "subscription" to the first 1 million and then paid after that, which essentially means they are limiting themselves to 1 million users, who pays for social media?

Followed you. I'm on there as Ash Smith (at least I think that's what my user name is!)

Still finding my way around the interface, but I'm quite liking it so far - apart from the fact that it seems to take an hour to open the app!

Just followed and put a comment on your photo Ash :)

Over the course of a couple of days, I've managed to get logged in.
Mango Chutney Photography in case anyone wants to see my musings.

Got signed up - am running an Android emulator on my PC which is working quite well so can access my scanned shots. I'm there as David M Bloor and am following Ash and Dave70D so far - but the search is not that easy to use.

They’ve been open about subscription...

Our subscription model will allow us to keep Vero advertising-free, and to focus solely on delivering the best social experience instead of trying to find new ways to monetize our users’ behavior or tricking them back into the app with notifications,

Back