weekly viv1969 (Ruth) 52 Challenge - SPIRAL Added

Name
Bat-Frog
Edit My Images
No
I know, I'm late to the party, but here goes.

Not the easiest theme to kick off with!

Elegant
by viv1969 on Talk Photography

OK...I've trawled through the old archives and come up with some that I think fit the themes...and one sad attempt :LOL:

BLISS - Let's get the sad attempt out of the way.
This girl looked blissful enough :)

Bliss

FRAGILE -

This skeleton Chinese Lantern was taken quite a while ago now.
I seem to recall it fell apart after a few shots :LOL:

Fragile

SCENIC -

Well, it is what it is. A very early morning near the Saxon Shore.

Scenic

And finally:
COMPANIONS -

Not everyone's cup of tea this, but they seem happy enough in each other's company :)

Companions 2

I believe that's me up to date.
Now all I've got to do is not fall by the wayside! :)

Last edited:
Yay! you made it :)
Off to a nice start Ruth (y)

Hi Ruth. Nice image. I really like the light and the point of view works. I think the dof is just right with the back petals only just being out of focus. Now you just need to get the previous themes done... You'd better get cracking ;)

Yes liking this too. Like the darker petals showing there form through.

Gaz

Hi Ruth. Nice image. I really like the light and the point of view works. I think the dof is just right with the back petals only just being out of focus. Now you just need to get the previous themes done... You'd better get cracking ;)

Yes liking this too. Like the darker petals showing there form through.

Gaz

Welcome to the 52 challenge a cracking start to the challenge with that image.

Thanks all.
Appreciate the welcome and the comments :)

Good start. Lovely yellows, nice and close. I'd like a slightly wider DOF to have all the petals in focus.

You have a nice, black BG of which I'm a fan.

Cheers.

Welcome. Good to see a different view of a flower, works well.

Lovely image Ruth. Would look good in a frame on a wall.

:agree: That is a really super way to start off.

Welcome Ruth :)
Really like this photo, love the pop of yellow against the dark background!

Based on your first submission, cannot wait to see the others. Beautiful image, well set up and well captured. Good work Ruth

Nice start Ruth, works well.

Phil

Good start. Lovely yellows, nice and close. I'd like a slightly wider DOF to have all the petals in focus.

You have a nice, black BG of which I'm a fan.

Cheers.

Whats not to like ....I love that one ....welcome to the challenge :)

Welcome. Good to see a different view of a flower, works well.

Lovely image Ruth. Would look good in a frame on a wall.

:agree: That is a really super way to start off.

Welcome Ruth :)
Really like this photo, love the pop of yellow against the dark background!

Based on your first submission, cannot wait to see the others. Beautiful image, well set up and well captured. Good work Ruth

Oh wow....Many thanks all.
Truly appreciated :)

I'm beginning to think backlighting is the way to go ... I'm off to play some more .... :exit:

I'm beginning to think backlighting is the way to go ... I'm off to play some more .... :exit:

Thanks for commenting David :)

Welcome to the challenge you mad fool you :D

Great start and very Elegant, agree with Andy about the DOF and crisp background :clap:

Welcome to the challenge Ruth!

After three threads of "needs more space" comments, I caught this on the main photo thread. It's a beautiful, simple, strong image with a lovely range of tones and a strong vibrant colour. The choice of crop works really well. You say it's not the easiest theme to start with, but you've hit it on the head and made it look simple. Looking forward to seeing more from you!

Welcome to the challenge you mad fool you :D

Great start and very Elegant, agree with Andy about the DOF and crisp background :clap:

Mad? Me? Well, I.....yeah OK, fair enough :LOL:

Welcome to the challenge Ruth!

After three threads of "needs more space" comments, I caught this on the main photo thread. It's a beautiful, simple, strong image with a lovely range of tones and a strong vibrant colour. The choice of crop works really well. You say it's not the easiest theme to start with, but you've hit it on the head and made it look simple. Looking forward to seeing more from you!

Thank you Ian....Appreciate that.

Companions, that's an, errm, interesting hobby you have there :nailbiting: Well composed and nice detail. Little tight at the bottom. That's one hell of a bump on the LH skull.

Scenic, wonderful light and mist. I feel the sun, wonderful as it is, draws my eye away from the tree.

Fragile, wow that's a belting whateveritis. The details is great as is the long shadow. The white BG looks a little blotchy :thinking:

Bliss, now that's bliss, nowt like a good scratch :)

Good catch up (y)

Cheers.

Ruth,

I like the Fragile very much. Fits the theme perfectly. Not as keen on Bliss (too dark in parts on my monitor) and for me, Companions is not suitable for the theme (but I am usually in the minority so do not fret!). Scenic is a great image, well captured.
I bet you are pleased to be up to date.. well for a few hours anyway until we get tonight's offering!

Ruth - UPDATE

I have had a bit of a fiddle with my monitor and the Bliss image now looks far better so ignore my "too dark in parts" bit!

Sorry!

Great catch up Ruth (y)
I love the bear shot and the sides ways look at companions, especially :)

Companions, that's an, errm, interesting hobby you have there :nailbiting: Well composed and nice detail. Little tight at the bottom. That's one hell of a bump on the LH skull.

Scenic, wonderful light and mist. I feel the sun, wonderful as it is, draws my eye away from the tree.

Fragile, wow that's a belting whateveritis. The details is great as is the long shadow. The white BG looks a little blotchy :thinking:

Bliss, now that's bliss, nowt like a good scratch :)

Good catch up (y)

Cheers.

Thank you for checking them out Andy.
The bump on the head is actually a bone tumour..ewwwww
The whateveritis is a Chinese lantern. The berry grows hiding inside a papery orange "flower", then the flower dies off leaving just the skeleton and the berry.

Ruth,

I like the Fragile very much. Fits the theme perfectly. Not as keen on Bliss (too dark in parts on my monitor) and for me, Companions is not suitable for the theme (but I am usually in the minority so do not fret!). Scenic is a great image, well captured.
I bet you are pleased to be up to date.. well for a few hours anyway until we get tonight's offering!

Thanks David.
I knew the skulls would be a little "Marmite". :)

Bloody Hell Ruth, you need to share more of your photos, these are absolutely captivating and fit the themes so well. (y)

Awww, thanks Yvonne, I really appreciate that. :)

Ruth - UPDATE

I have had a bit of a fiddle with my monitor and the Bliss image now looks far better so ignore my "too dark in parts" bit!

Sorry!

Phew!! :LOL:

Great catch up Ruth (y)
I love the bear shot and the sides ways look at companions, especially :)

Thanks Chris.
Re. companions...I might have known your dark mind would "get it". :)

The whateveritis is a Chinese lantern. The berry grows hiding inside a papery orange "flower", then the flower dies off leaving just the skeleton and the berry.

Curiously, I did wonder as the only Chinese Lantern I've heard of is the one that you set light to and liberate
into the atmosphere, causing devastation and untold UFO reports :D
Thanks Chris.
Re. companions...I might have known your dark mind would "get it". :)
What are you trying to say here? :p

But yep I did "get it" (y)

Curiously, I did wonder as the only Chinese Lantern I've heard of is the one that you set light to and liberate
into the atmosphere, causing devastation and untold UFO reports :D

They're a bit stunning as they develop....easy to grow too :)

Goodness me, Ruth, you really hit it this week!! Well done. All the images are commendable in some way, but very different. i especially like the yellow flower shot and the fragile lantern thing. (Not sure what it is tbh! - but it looks great) ... Now all you need is "Watery" and you've cracked it .... which reminds me ..... :exit:

Excellent stuff especially scenic, fragile and of course elegant. I don't blame you for catching up with archive shots, but we're gonna get some made-to-order pics from now on I hope. :exit:

Hi Ruth, that's what I call a catch up

Bliss - my least favourtie of the shots, but it does fit the theme

Fragile, scenic and companions - excellent shots there

Elegant - lovely take on the theme. That yellow really pops and I really like the composition

Goodness me, Ruth, you really hit it this week!! Well done. All the images are commendable in some way, but very different. i especially like the yellow flower shot and the fragile lantern thing. (Not sure what it is tbh! - but it looks great) ... Now all you need is "Watery" and you've cracked it .... which reminds me ..... :exit:

Much appreciated, thankyou :)

Excellent stuff especially scenic, fragile and of course elegant. I don't blame you for catching up with archive shots, but we're gonna get some made-to-order pics from now on I hope. :exit:

Thanks...archive was the only way I was going to catch up :)
Elegant onwards shot to fit the them though ;)

Back