WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Perhaps I ought to ask which low cost airline it is, I wonder if I can pre book my wife a ticket for her 50th next October. Or maybe I ought to treat her and let her have it now. :)

Last night, thieves stole a JCB and ram raided our local Sainsury's cash machine
http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/20...jcb-to-raid-supermarket-atm-in-billingshurst/
Great all our banks closed earlier this year, so that's the last cash machine gone

It's right next to where I work, luckily for me a day off, don't know how the lorry delivering mail
from gatwick got in

Being the only shop locally that supplies groceries means the locals have no where to get essentials
milk/bread/ veg/fruit etc. There is a smallish Tesco by railway station but that is a very long way out, so the impact on
the elderly, car less is enormous
Sainsbury are hoping to re-open the shop asap, there is a rear access through the main village car park,
let's hope it isn't too long

Got to the end of the (sliced) loaf this morning, only to find the crust had been taken already. Grrrr.
Surely that's cheating

Actually last Thursday.
Ordering dinner in a restaurant, and it being served on a piece of wood.:confused:
Duly returned to the kitchen.
Ordered a different dish, to be served on a plate, to ensure I didn't get the same food scraped off the wood.

Actually last Thursday.
Ordering dinner in a restaurant, and it being served on a piece of wood.:confused:
Duly returned to the kitchen.
Ordered a different dish, to be served on a plate, to ensure I didn't get the same food scraped off the wood.

Seems to be a fad that just won't die! It wouldn't be so bad if the plank was a decent size rather than half your food ending up on the table. Even more annoying, they insist on serving you chips in those little buckets! :mad:

Keeps 'em off the floorboard...

Seems to be a fad that just won't die! It wouldn't be so bad if the plank was a decent size rather than half your food ending up on the table. Even more annoying, they insist on serving you chips in those little buckets! :mad:

It was rice! A dome of rice which would have collapsed once a fork touched it.
Folks at the next table returned theirs too.

I was going to go out for a long walk this morning, just realised I have to finish off the painting. :(

• It's that time of year when I leave the house and it's dark, and the same when I return. Sometimes I think there's no point in opening curtains
  • This weekend, the downpour meant people were crossing the roads whilst looking down instead of looking left and right
  • Roadworks on a single carriageway today. One set of lights were turning red amber green. The one on my side stayed red the entire time and it took me longer than it should have to realise the lights just weren't going to change.

A dome of rice which would have collapsed once a fork touched it.
That's easily solved use chop sticks (y)
:D

But I do totally agree, this is a regressive step, I'm sure our ancestors would have eaten off chunks of wood or flat stones, once they learned to cook stuff ;)

Apple. Again. They've taken the flickr sharing short cut out of Photos on MacOS yet again. They took it away before and had to put it back. Honestly. Who exports photos into a folder now?!

They've taken the flickr sharing short cut out of Photos on MacOS yet again.
Flickr ah yes! thanks for the reminder ... off to cancel my Pro account before they take the grossly inflated payment next month (y)

What annoyed me today?
Actually I am outraged at the fact that I have nothing to report!

:D

Amazon’s inability to get one of their carriers to re-send a pickup code, I’ll have to wait until the item is returned due to non-collection then it’ll take up to two weeks to be re-funded.

Useless f***tards

Actually, WTF? this was sent 48 hrs tracked sat. 13th October
First off it went somewhere it shouldn't have

Sorry, your item went to Coventry South DO in error, so we re-routed it immediately. ( yeah it looks like it)
More information will be available as it travels through our network.

Updated on: Tuesday 16 October
  1. 04:51pm
    Item ReceivedSouth Midlands Mail Centre

Tuesday 16 October
  1. 10:21am
Monday 15 October
  1. 09:40am
    Item Received Coventry South DO

Sunday 14 October
  1. 09:36am
Saturday 13 October
  1. 07:54pm
    Item ReceivedLeeds Mail Centre

Date and event/occasion/whatever for me then subfolders for cameras.

'Annoyed' would be an understatement. Making preparations to go to bed a couple of hours ago and I trod on something in my living room that felt just like a burning cigarette end through my socks. I knew I’d been stung by something on the instep of my right foot. It has been excruciating, me pacing up and down in pain, my foot swelling up and in total agony. My son found (and killed) what looks like a hornet or at least a very large wasp in the vicinity of the assault. I was worried it might have been a false widow spider.

Over two hours later and having taken the strongest painkillers we’ve got, I’m still in a lot of pain and no chance of sleep but it has subsided a bit....

Last edited:
It's got to the time of year queen wasps abandon their nests and look for somewhere to hibernate; I had one in the kitchen this morning that had to be extricated from behind the fridge. Kill it with fire.gif

Over two hours later and having taken the strongest painkillers we’ve got,
Antihistamines work better than pain killers on wasp stings, Piriteze for me when I've done something stupid.

Hornets have a copper coloured back and are about the size of your thumb.
The newly hatched Queen wasps are about half as big, again, as a worker wasp.
Old queens are about twice the size of a worker, but tend to stay put in the old nest if its secure.

Antihistamines work better than pain killers on wasp stings, Piriteze for me when I've done something stupid.
Old queens are about twice the size of a worker, but tend to stay put in the old nest if its secure.
Possibly not the first time I've been stung by an old queen then! It was about 25mm in length overall, about double the size of a 'normal' wasp I'd say.

Its still a bit painful even now, I'll remember the antihistamine next time. (y)

(The pain really was excruciating, apart from possibly a dental abcess the worst I've experienced - I dread to think what a hornet sting would be like :confused:)

Possibly not the first time I've been stung by an old queen then!
:muted: :muted: :ROFLMAO:

Its still a bit painful even now,
You probably won't remember, but as you know, wasps are yellow with black stripes,
It wasn't black with yellow stripes ( its subtle) by any chance?
The latter is a German wasp and their sting is actually more painful than "our" wasps.

Hornets are quite peaceful TBH, I've come in contact with quite a few over the years,
I've never had one attack me.

:muted: :muted: :ROFLMAO:

You probably won't remember, but as you know, wasps are yellow with black stripes,
It wasn't black with yellow stripes ( its subtle) by any chance?
The latter is a German wasp and their sting is actually more painful than "our" wasps.

Hornets are quite peaceful TBH, I've come in contact with quite a few over the years,
I've never had one attack me.
It was more a case of 'never mind the quality, look at the size of it'! I did take a photo on my phone, albeit not very good.

Untitled by Tim Heathfield, on Flickr

albeit not very good.
TBH I've seen them in better condition :D

Its a "normal" one btw.

Top tip from your local pestie, don't stand on them, it bloody hurts!
Even dead ones can "still" sting for a few hours!

Something has scraped my car. Really f***ed off about it. There was a lorry reversing into a gap near where I was parked. That’s about the only time the front end was “exposed”. The other times the car was parked nose in.

Worse - I only spotted it now because I was putting the bins out. Looks like license plate took most of the damage. There’s paint scraped to plastic on the bumper closest to the plate.

W***ers.

:mad:

Firecrest filter holder - snapped the cover trying to remove it, split clean in half! £40 for a replacement set! :mad:

After more than 20 years of driving, finally had my first prang. Luckily no-one was hurt but the car is a little poorly.
Worst thing was - it was entirely my fault and not the nutcase Sicilian drivers.

Steve Huff in a Leica reviews says...

"I believe that most of these new features are put in cameras to make people feel that the camera will do it all for you. Have shaky hands? Camera will fix that with IBIS! Cant focus right when taking portraits? We will give you EYE AF to be foolproof. Want to be sloppy with your metering skills? That’s ok, we will give you 13 stops of dynamic range so if you screw up, you can fix it! I love tech as much as the next person but sometimes it is just too much, and takes away from the experience of taking an image."

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2018/10/24/the-leica-m10-d-review-less-is-more-again/

He a better photographer than me, he famous and I'm not, he probably has more money than me but on this I'm sure he's wrong.

"I believe that most of these new features are put in cameras to make people feel that the camera will do it all for you. Have shaky hands? Camera will fix that with IBIS!"
Yes Steve, people with shaky hands can enjoy photography a little more and others can get shots that would have been difficult if not impossible without it... or a tripod.

"Cant focus right when taking portraits? We will give you EYE AF to be foolproof."
Yes Steve, eye AF is wonderful and I wish I had it. It allows you to capture the moment, quickly, and it allows the camera to take care of getting focus smack on the eye leaving you free to concentrate on capturing that moment and the composition. No need focus and recompose, no need to move the focus point. You'll get shots of moments you couldn't have got without it.

"Want to be sloppy with your metering skills? That’s ok, we will give you 13 stops of dynamic range so if you screw up, you can fix it!"
It's not about screwing up and fixing it. It's about capturing the scene without blowing the highlights or crushing the blacks or ending up with a noisy mess which you'd stand the chance of doing with 8 stops of DR when protecting the highlights and boosting the shadows post capture.

"I love tech as much as the next person but sometimes it is just too much, and takes away from the experience of taking an image."
If you don't like the features you can turn them off and simply not take the pictures that would be difficult to impossible without them and instead you can be happy only taking pictures of things that remain still while you set up your tripod and move your focus point and take three bracketed shots to blend later.

Glad I go that out of my system.

After more than 20 years of driving, finally had my first prang. Luckily no-one was hurt but the car is a little poorly.
Worst thing was - it was entirely my fault and not the nutcase Sicilian drivers.

Hope no one was hurt, that's the main thing. Bent metal and the cost can hopefully be fixed with time.

Organising cheaper car insurance, Broadband and mobile phone contracts, strange how all the existing suppliers can suddenly almost
match the new ones :thinking:

Well a couple of days ago.
Changed my car insurance because Direct Line increased by a vast amount since last year.
Bearing in mind my original policy with them was taken out for the 1st November, when the car I
had at the time was taxed and put on the road, when I rang them to cancel I was told the policy
runs out at noon on the 31st October :thinking:
So that effectively left me with no Insurance until midnight on 1st November when the new one started
Not a real problem for me as car is parked off road and I didn't need to use it
So effectively if you change companies you either start the new one a day early and have the vehicle
double insured to 12 hours, or like me leave it uninsured for 12 hours, great if you need to get home from work etc,

Back