WAMT....what annoyed me today!

I assume your HR department informs the awards company about who should be sent the packages, if so then HR needs a bit of a size 10 in a certain area. A department that deals with the human elements of a company and they can get names correct!

Perhaps an email to someone senior in your company pointing out this doesn't make long serving members of staff feel valued.

Dave
The fact that my name appeared on package label as the customer but the name was wrong next to my address as well as the contents, must mean the correct information would have been supplied. But somehow the awards company have cocked it up.
The awards company being used, has changed from the one used for the previous 15yrs or more and to my knowledge nothing similar has happened before.

The awards company being used, has changed from the one used for the previous 15yrs or more and to my knowledge nothing similar has happened before.
Sounds like HR are now finding out why they are able to fulfill the awards contract so cheaply. :rolleyes:

At least they know you exist Neil.

One company I worked for forgot I existed. Everyone else got their 10 year award except me so I rang them to remind them I'd been there 12 years. I did eventually get it... a pen... and in the words of the bloke who dropped it off "It's not even a Parker" :D

Actually it was a Cross, engraved with a message. I dug it out a couple of weeks ago and it fell apart so it went in the bin.

Last edited:
At least they know you exist Neil.

One company I worked for forgot I existed. Everyone else got their 10 year award except me so I rang them to remind them I'd been there 12 years. I did eventually get it... a pen... and in the words of the bloke who dropped it off "It's not even a Parker" :D

Actually it was a Cross, engraved with a message. I dug it out a couple of weeks ago and it fell apart so it went in the bin.

I was beginning to wonder if they had forgotten me. I had received an email at work back in December telling me to keep an eye out on the post for a package. With the previous awards company, a letter containing the required password would arrive about 6 months prior to the anniversary date and they would send out reminder letters if no award had been selected as the anniversary date got closer.
This new company is sending them out in the month before the anniversary date. No idea of when I will receive my own award package it may not even arrive before the 9th September, the anniversary date. It will be interesting to see what awards are on offer, nothing ever looked that exciting before with the other company.
Years ago employees got a choice of a watch or gold cufflinks for a man or for a woman, a gold broach, necklace or watch. I have my dad's cufflinks he got for 25yrs and my mum's watch that he chose for her for his 30yrs award. I would much rather have something like that, than a widescreen tv or set of saucepans or crockery that is on offer now.

Yup. Giving electronics as gifts always seems to border on the tacky for me.

Hope you get it sorted and receive something nice too :D

@nilagin That reminds me of a story ( supposedly true) on the radio the other day. A guy was presented with something or other, on his retirement.
He was told that they didn't have time to get it engraved, if they could have it back, they would sort it out.
5 years later, he still hasn't had it :D

It also seems its happened to others at his (ex)place of work.
Great idea, buy one present and and get value for money, by giving it to "Everyone" :D

Yup. Giving electronics as gifts always seems to border on the tacky for me.

Hope you get it sorted and receive something nice too :D
Something more traditional would mean more to me. This is the sort of thing my dad got.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/153619217825
For past awards I have got Panasonic bridge cameras. They get used, but I would still rather have something of a keepsake that held some sort of relevance to the achievement.
15yrs ago when I had my 25 years award we would also get a weekend away with other employees celebrating an award, in a hotel with a meal and a show. Unfortunately my dad wasn't in the best of health whence had my 25th so my wife and I were unable to go. We were offered a place the following year instead but I didn't feel it was worthwhile sharing it with people I hadn't done my apprenticeship with. By the time my 30th year came along the weekends away had been scrapped mostly down to one particular employee not being able to handle his drink well and starting a fight in the hotel lobby.

I know this is pedantic, but it annoys me, not just today, but every time I hear it. "Me, or I, personally". If you say me or I, how can it be anything but personal to the one saying it?

I know this is pedantic, but it annoys me, not just today, but every time I hear it. "Me, or I, personally". If you say me or I, how can it be anything but personal to the one saying it?

I ticked a 'like' re your post and in addition I'd like to add this which is on the same lines.

I wish people wouldn't use the personal pronoun 'you' when replying to a question about how that person feels about a particular experience they've had. I hear it time and time again during Tv/radio interviews.

Eg. Interviewer: "How did you feel when..(whatever). All too often the usual answer is . "Well, you feel"..etc. It should be.. 'I felt' ..if only because people,naturally, react differently to experiences. By using 'you' they are stating that this is how everyone is going to feel. I say 'everyone' because I'm sure the interviewee isn't meaning the interviewer but people in general. I read recently that using 'you' instead of 'I' is becoming (has become) acceptable..I appreciate that language morphs over time nevertheless, I find it annoying. Another is using 'they' when referring to one person . I suppose it's easier ,less cumbersome. I don't have to go far to give an example. I've written below... 'uses that person to demonstrate how he/she would deal with'..etc Most people, I'm sure would say 'they' rather than he or she.

Not quite the same but I really dislike it when someone who wants to tell someone else how he/she (not 'they'..lol ) would deal with a particular situation and uses that person to demonstrate how he/she would deal with it.I've gone as far as asking a friend, who often did this in our conversations, to stop personalising it. For example. He wants to tell me how he, as a customer making a complaint, would go about it. He'd say."Ok. I'm a customer and you're the manager. I come to you and say....etc.He can get a bit abrasive too taking the disposition of someone who feels aggrieved and how he would go about complaining. Talk about role-playing. Not anymore,though.

I've seen this personalisation of a topic or a form of words akin to it, in the off-topic sections of forums. It never has a happy outcome.

This man's monotonous daily shouting must annoy tens of thousands of people
I suppose the question is just how many approve of him and how many don't. I wonder if anyone will do a survey? :thinking:

I suppose the question is just how many approve of him and how many don't. I wonder if anyone will do a survey? :thinking:

He does have a reasonable amount of support it seems but what annoys me is his shouting goes on throughout media interviews which I find quite irritating but he has a right to protest and clearly, there's nothing the authorities can do. It has crossed my mind that I'd rather live in a country that allows people to demonstrate in most ways without fear of being arrested and incarcerated. I mention this because over the weekend I was reading about what happens to those in Russia who put up against Putin in the ongoing elections. People like Alexei Navalny. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...on-calls-for-more-protests-after-mass-arrests

I didn't realise that this chap,Steve Bray, has been going down there every day that Parliament sits since 2017 and even gets to speak to MPs and is on first name terms with Laura Kuensberg. He's now financially supported by crowdfunding. He gave up his job as a coin dealer so he could do this full time.

Quite an interesting read https://www.irishtimes.com/news/wor...become-a-full-time-job-for-activist-1.3845903

WAMT (and yesterday)...BA's greedy-ass pilots.
Causing no end of grief in my job, and the effects will knock-on for a week.

WAMT (and yesterday)...BA's greedy-ass pilots.
Causing no end of grief in my job, and the effects will knock-on for a week.

Currently in Puglia having had my flight on Sunday cancelled 15 days before my holiday ... awaiting a response from BA re. the complaint I raised with them following their "error".

Not helped by the follow up email apologising for the "temporary inconvenience" caused by their "error" after I had rebooked with Easyjet flying a day later and to a different airport as that was all I could get to salvage 4 peoples family holiday. :bat:

The general pay for pilots appears to be good to excellent:
The figures being kicked about on a radio chat show was £200,000 for a captain, A woman phoned in as a pilots wife complain that they were a single wage family with kids.
He earns half that and they were struggling.
I think someone is either telling porkies or trying to live way above their means!

If they took big pay cuts in the past when BA was struggling, and now that BA is making billions they want a bigger share of the profits, I dont think that's unreasonable.
It's unfortunate for the passengers and I'd be annoyed if my flight was cancelled.
I can also see their point, and at least the strike was out of the main holiday season.
But yes I'd be pretty p***ed off too, if I wanted to take a flight with BA at these times.

The figures being kicked about on a radio chat show was £200,000 for a captain, A woman phoned in as a pilots wife complain that they were a single wage family with kids.
I think someone is either telling porkies or trying to live way above their means!

I can also see their point, and at least the strike was out of the main holiday season.
But yes I'd be pretty p***ed off too, if I wanted to take a flight with BA at these times.

I used to know a couple of pilots and 200k give or take is the going rate for a captain. Even a junior pilot is around 100k I believe, although in fairness, they often have large loans of anything up to 100k to pay back which is for their training (could be more now). Its certainly not a low paid job though.

THThere's also the cost of obtaining an Airline Transport Pilot Licence somewhere in the region of £100,000.
I don't think that will be seen as relevant by unhappy customers. In any case, I believe that BA pilots are trained at the company's expense. As usual, there's a dearth of factual reporting because conflict makes a "far better story" than a detailed explanation of what's really happening. :cautious:

More PC rubbish!
Americans use the word "faggot" as offensive slang for homosexual males. The British use the word to describe (a) bundles of wood tied up for use as fuel (b) a type of traditional meatball. Whose definition do you think will win on the internet? :thinking:

I don't think that will be seen as relevant by unhappy customers. In any case, I believe that BA pilots are trained at the company's expense. As usual, there's a dearth of factual reporting because conflict makes a "far better story" than a detailed explanation of what's really happening. :cautious:

Most of them aren't trained at IAG's expense, but given their salary, their extremely generous benefits and the raise offer on the table, they're just greedy barstwerds.

My shoulder. I don’t know how I tweaked it but I did. Barely slept Thursday night or Friday night. I’ve been taking regular painkillers which help, and have done some exercises. What I need to do is rest it this weekend.

It’s also lovely weather and I had a list of jobs I wanted to get done which will now have to be delayed.

I’ve been taking regular painkillers which help, and have done some exercises.
I had quite a serious accident some years ago. Which left me with, sometimes, very painfully recurring shoulder pain.

I too was on very strong pain killers. I eventually found relief in Tiger Balm, ( the red stuff) and continue to use it to this day when it kicks off again.
Just rub a small amount into the affected area and then wash your hands, rubbing your eyes or taking a leak, before preforming this simple act leads to quite
a painful reaction ...
And yes, I did find that out the hard way.

Last edited:
It's student drop off weekend so the city is full of f***wits not knowing where they're going and seemingly having forgotten what they may once have known of the highway code and rules of the road.

I had quite a serious accident some years ago. Which left me with, sometimes, very painfully recurring shoulder pain.

I too was on very strong pain killers. I eventually found relief in Tiger Balm, ( the red stuff) and continue to use it to this day when it kicks off again.
Just rub a small amount into the affected area and then wash your hands, rubbing your eyes or taking a leak, before preforming this simple act leads to quite
a painful reaction ...
And yes, I did find that out the hard way.

A decent single malt offers the same benefits without the side effects...;)

But it runs off when you try to rub it in... (Better idea than taking Tiger Balm orally!)

A decent single malt offers the same benefits without the side effects...;)

The pain relief far out strips the strongest of pain killers, I can guarantee that (y)
And far better than that disgusting Malt ( it even tastes better, but I wouldn't actually recommend the "oral route" ;) )

WAMT?
The toaster oven.
The internal light stopped working , so I bought a replacement bulb.
Then, while taking the top off, I find the manufacturer threw in a couple of security screws to stop me, so it was out with the vice grips to swap those ones for a couple of Phillips ones from the inside (to match all the others).
Finally, I get to the bulb, only to find it still works, having just worked itself loose in the socket. :grumpy:

I can see my bacon cooking again, but I'm bound to forget where I've put that spare bulb when the old one does finally die. :thinking:

Sometimes outgoings increase with income so just as some people towards the bottom end of the pay scale can be a couple of pay cheques away from disaster the same can be true of those seemingly at the higher end and they can be under pressure too, just in different ways. Not everyone lives carefully and comfortably within their means.

Anyway.

I sat though the latest Predator film last night and what a load of rubbish it is. Even the lovely pizza couldn't take my mind off how bad it is. It's sort of like Police Academy meets Predator and is more like a parody/comedy action picture.

If you're tempted to watch... you've been warned!

Last edited:
The Blue Oyster guys were fearless, they obviously don't fear the reaper and they weren't feeling the summer of love.

Other than that, believe me, you wont care.

Other than that, believe me, you wont care.
The main thing I ask of any drama is that I don't start wondering "why on earth did he do that?" If the characters start behaving stupidly I'll give up and watch something else. That's why I won't go to the cinema and I record anything I want to try.

WAMAFDA was getting to the end of a book to discover that some kind soul had torn out the last page. Will have to visit Waterstones or similar to find out the final twist! (The Runaway Jury by John Grisham.)

Back