WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Simple free installation of a water meter and my water bills plummeted :)
I was speaking to the guy that reads the water meters some time back,
and he was saying that everyone will be on a meter within 2 years.
Whether or not that was conjecture on his part I don't know,
but my "problem" with that is of course, everyone I know, that has gone onto a meter, has slashed their bills quite dramatically.
Especially those one or two persons per house hold.

To me this proves that the water authorities are charging way over the odds, generally.
BUT if / when we are all on the meter, the prices must rise.

I was speaking to the guy that reads the water meters some time back,
and he was saying that everyone will be on a meter within 2 years.
Whether or not that was conjecture on his part I don't know,
but my "problem" with that is of course, everyone I know, that has gone onto a meter, has slashed their bills quite dramatically.
Especially those one or two persons per house hold.

To me this proves that the water authorities are charging way over the odds, generally.
BUT if / when we are all on the meter, the prices must rise.

To a degree I think that's right.
BUT, as JP said, there are houses presumed to occupy say 2 adults and 2 kids which actually are occupied for perhaps 2 adults and 4-5 kids.
They will be using far in excess the amount of water that is estimated, and so their bills will rise.
Swings and roundabouts if you will.
PLus I know singles, and couples, who use ridiculous amounts of water in their everyday lives....they'll get a shock too no doubt.

My farmer mate has seized the engine on one of his quads, guess who gets the "honour" of stripping it down?

Hate the bloody things,worst vehicle I have ever worked on.

Cynicism and sarcasm are outstanding attributes to have.........:sneaky:

I think that was the least popular tax ever TBH, maybe equal to the (out dated and defunct) window tax.
No it doesn't seem fair at all. 1 (+1 occasional) person living in a 4 bed property paying far more that 4 people living in a 2 bed property.
I guess it's a disincentive to have "under occupied" properties. Ideally each housing unit would have one bedroom per occupant in terms of efficient utilisation.

I guess it's a disincentive to have "under occupied" properties. Ideally each housing unit would have one bedroom per occupant in terms of efficient utilisation.
I understand what you are saying,
and council / association properties, yes they are trying to reduce that that, with the "bedroom tax" yet another rip off.

However privately owned properties, they have no right to tell me (us) that I can't live in a 4 bed place,
that I've worked hard for, and paid for, over the years, , and yet are trying to tax that fact yet again, despite the fact that there is only me
and occasionally my son living here.

Its the same with big cars, hammered with road fund licence and fuel duty.
Yes I agree its a life style choice,
I don't absolutely NEED to live in a largish house nor drive a fuel hungry car.
But going back to my original point, its not a fair tax by any means.
I produce far less waste than a family of 4 living in a "cheaper" 2 or 3 bed property, in a much lower "band".

Reactions: ST4
Not everyone that has had a water metre installed has saved money, I know a fair few who wish they hadn't.
Most if these are older couples living in large 4 bed houses who like to keep their gardens watered and cars clean,
yet still think it is unfair to have to pay for all the water they use.
I have recently moved into a flat and the water rates are included in the service charge, and yes we are metered,
but still we have residents moaning at others washing cars whilst they are standing with a hosepipe watering their flower beds :thinking:
I don't have a garden to water and get my car washed elsewhere

If you have a meter installed you can have it taken out within the first year if it doesn't save money. I think it's only the south eastern water companies that are badgering people to have meters. Meanwhile they're losing tons of water with their leaky pipe work.

I understand what you are saying,
and council / association properties, yes they are trying to reduce that that, with the "bedroom tax" yet another rip off.

However privately owned properties, they have no right to tell me (us) that I can't live in a 4 bed place,
that I've worked hard for, and paid for, over the years, , and yet are trying to tax that fact yet again, despite the fact that there is only me
and occasionally my son living here.

Its the same with big cars, hammered with road fund licence and fuel duty.
Yes I agree its a life style choice,
I don't absolutely NEED to live in a largish house nor drive a fuel hungry car.
But going back to my original point, its not a fair tax by any means.
I produce far less waste than a family of 4 living in a "cheaper" 2 or 3 bed property, in a much lower "band".
The principle is that resources are limited so cars need to be fuel efficient and people should be encouraged to live in housing units that make efficient use of the limited land available. They are not forced to do so just strongly encouraged through favourable tax rates for fuel efficient vehicles and smaller more land-efficient housing units.

The principle is that resources are limited so cars need to be fuel efficient and people should be encouraged to live in housing units that make efficient use of the limited land available. They are not forced to do so just strongly encouraged through favourable tax rates for fuel efficient vehicles and smaller more land-efficient housing units.
Strongly encouraged to by being penalised ;)
Don't get me wrong, I'm neither rich nor famous, just your average working guy that has worked hard and saved to
make a comfortable life for himself.

But if I buy a smaller property, that has to be built anyway.
There goes more farm land.

BUT no, I'm not giving up my home and I don't see why I should,
Sure I'll make a few quid on the sale, and a family of 5 could live here, reasonably comfortably,
but they would be more resource hungry than I.And it wouldn't make this place any more "efficient" than it already is.
So by staying put I put a a lighter load on the resources, Water / waste / sewage power / etc, and yet am being penalised for doing so.

Reactions: ST4
Lets hope that it still balances out, but I'm also still cynical ;)
I'm with you on that one. We will see.

And will someone please think of the poor swimming pool owners.

I don't think folk should be permitted to have meters removed.

If they're using the water they should pay for it.

Want to pay less? Use less.

what annoyed me is, I think I may have been sold PPI and have no idea who to call :p

Les :exit:

Last edited by a moderator:

Roll on Easter - I smell and I've given up water usage for Lent...

I was about to say at least air is free, but then I remembered I needed 50p to put some air in my tyres the other day :D

going for a lovely walk along the coastal path with the fresh air and incoming tide on my left and on my right lots of budding bushes with lots and lots of black bags full of DOG SH*T hanging from the branches like bleeding xmas decorations grrrrrrrrrrr

going for a lovely walk along the coastal path with the fresh air and incoming tide on my left and on my right lots of budding bushes with lots and lots of black bags full of DOG SH*T hanging from the branches like bleeding xmas decorations grrrrrrrrrrr

and an empty poo bin nearby no doubt :banghead:
Why people bother to bag it and do that I just cannot understand o_O

The usual excuse is "Well, I was just leaving it there while we finished our walk and I was going to pick it down on my way back..."

What the excuse could be for the people who lob their full bags over a friend's garden fence can be is beyond me.

WAMT is the realisation that while the laptop and netbook both have USB3 ports, the desktop only has USB2 so the transfer of a largish folder from an EHDD to the more permanent resting place is rather slow!

I annoyed myself yesterday.

I had offered to sound engineer a charity gig in a local club. My plan was to walk down there and have a couple of beers in the process. Got the first band on and stayed at the desk with the thought "I will get a beer during the next band". Second band on, same thing.
I needed to stay at the mixer for the last band to do some minor tweaking so I decided I could wait until they had finished then get my beer.

The band finished just as the bar closed!

I could be annoyed at the bar for closing but really I'm annoyed with me.

Steve.

I think that was the least popular tax ever TBH, maybe equal to the (out dated and defunct) window tax.
No it doesn't seem fair at all. 1 (+1 occasional) person living in a 4 bed property paying far more that 4 people living in a 2 bed property.

Thatchers poll tax was much better. It was based on number of residents and services used. It was the fairest tax of the lot as it made those who used, pay.

Thatchers poll tax was much better. It was based on number of residents and services used. It was the fairest tax of the lot as it made those who used, pay.
I must admit that she wasn't my favourite person, but I have to agree that is the fairest method.
As an example, There are 1.5 people living here, and I throw waste and recycling out every other week.
1 bag of each.
my near neighbours, there is anything between 4 (min) and 6 (max) people living there, same type of house,
and they throw out at least 6 bags of rubbish every week and barely any (pink) recycling bags.

I must admit that she wasn't my favourite person, but I have to agree that is the fairest method.
As an example, There are 1.5 people living here, and I throw waste and recycling out every other week.
1 bag of each.
my near neighbours, there is anything between 4 (min) and 6 (max) people living there, same type of house,
and they throw out at least 6 bags of rubbish every week and barely any (pink) recycling bags.
And not just that. The maximum my nan probably ever earned has been around half of capped benefit rate. Yet her property through no fault of her own, nor planning that she bought for £20K is now worth about £650K. Why on earth anything would be calculated on the market value of a property is beyond me.

The other gran is even worse as her property is close to a commuter belt train station and would breach the threshold for the mansion tax. She'd have to sell up and move and never ever earned anything that would make her fall in the rich category.

Super unfair to lovely prudent people who now really worry about this kind of stuff.

WAMT? The latest version of the panorama stitching software I use (well, used to use!) doesn't like big files and screws up the stitching. Could be back to old fashioned cutting and pasting stitches together!

You do realise you dont *have* to update this thread everyday don't you? Just sayin' like :exit:

I don't have to but I am permitted, I believe.

I saw Mallorca written as Majorca. That annoys me.
Why? Both are correct. After all it was called Balearic Major, when taken over by the Romans. Mallor(ca) is just the Spanish / Catalan interpretation of the spelling.

Why? Both are correct. After all it was called Balearic Major, when taken over by the Romans. Mallor(ca) is just the Spanish / Catalan interpretation of the spelling.

You have sorted answered the point. In Spanish it is called Mallorca. In Mallorquín it is called Mallorca. You don't call London Londinium because the Roman's took it over do you?

I saw Mallorca written as Majorca. That annoys me.

I'm sure those in Germany occassionally get p***ed off when it's called Germany.
But I bet they get over it ;)

You don't call London Londinium because the Roman's took it over do you?
Do you get just as angry when the Spanish call London 'Londres'? Logically you should.

Londinium (Lat) -> London (Eng) / Londres (Sp)

Isla Major (Lat) -> Maiorica (Lat) -> Majorca (Eng) / Mallorca (Sp)

I totally fail to see your point here.

Do you get just as angry when the Spanish call London 'Londres'? Logically you should.

Londinium (Lat) -> London (Eng) / Londres (Sp)

Isla Major (Lat) -> Maiorica (Lat) -> Majorca (Eng) / Mallorca (Sp)

I totally fail to see your point here.

I'm not angry StewartR. The thread is called "WAMT....what annoyed me today!" and I decided to contribute, so do excuse me. And if you fail to see my point, don't let it upset you. Just get on with you day.
Have a good one!

Not so much what as WHO annoyed me today

My Gas and Leccy suppliers !!

I'm out of contract on May 31 and I'm looking for a new supplier and this is proving a tad complicated :( Everyone needs to know what I've used - which is shown on your bill - BUT my last bill is dated Nov 2014 and even that one tells me they can't give me a summary of my energy us for this bill period compared with the same period last year !!

I asked for a bill and got this :-
Thank you for your enquiry regarding your bills.
I am sorry that we have been unable to bill you for the past 3 months.
This is because of a technical fault with our billing system.
We have now worked to resolve this matter so you will receive a bill shortly.
Unfortunately I do not have a timescale as to how long this may take however I appreciate your patience while we resolve this matter for you.
I apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.
I hope I have been of help today regarding your query.

And they think that is being helpful ???? I have my meter readings each month from joining this crowd of numpties at the end of Nov 2013 - but I can't work out how to convert these to give me kWHs. I reckon I'm due a refund - but how do I prove that ?

This I do know - I will be with another supplier at the end of May - I'm not paying them £60 for moving early.

Back