WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Sixteenhundredfiftyfour to me ;)

Wamt: the Beeb annoying a crack down on tax avoidance???? And the chancellor only talking about evasion and rightfully so. Flipping heck why can't they get it right.

Wamt: the solar eclipse in London. I should be excited but it looks no different than a normal bleak Friday.

Astronomical events and British weather, not exactly a match made in heaven.

Same here, its got slightly darker, but thats about it :(

Got properly dark here.....then I remembered we have tinted glass in the building so I went outside.
Oh dear.
Disappointed of Kent :(

Astronomical events and British weather, not exactly a match made in heaven.

1999's was fab though.
But then again it was summer IIRC.

1999's was fab though.
Cloud everywhere as I remember. I went across to Bayeux to try and escape the cloud but it followed me there as well. FFS.
Michael Buerks comment from the day I recall on how cr4p the weather, referring to Phillipa Forester and a male astronomer was: "They're rubbing each other and he's only come in his shorts."

Cloud everywhere as I remember. I went across to Bayeux to try and escape the cloud but it followed me there as well. FFS.
Michael Buerks comment from the day I recall on how cr4p the weather, referring to Phillipa Forester and a male astronomer was: "They're rubbing each other and he's only come in his shorts."

Was good in Derby (ahhh, those were the days).
Sat in the garden with a welding mask on :LOL:

Non event. Just the usual gloomy, overcast, sky and it was difficult to say if it actually got any darker, or if that was just the heavy cloud.

Very slight annoyance and in some ways a welcome one - cat walked all over us at about 2am! Probably just checking we were real and looking for a cuddle.

1999's was fab though.
I remember it like that. It definitely was sunny on the roof terrace in the city where I was watching it.

Not sure what is more annoying, the fact that it was VERY overcast earlier, so i didnt get to see it at all, or the fact that the sky is beautifully clear now...when its too bloody late! :mad:

How a scientific person can say the moon was created by a dust cloud from an asteroid impact with earth 10 billion years ago........

Wamt: the solar eclipse in London. I should be excited but it looks no different than a normal bleak Friday.
The Eclipse as seen from TP towers.
10599712_10152795196601801_2515578543262834488_n.jpg

Not sure what is more annoying, the fact that it was VERY overcast earlier, so i didnt get to see it at all, or the fact that the sky is beautifully clear now...when its too bloody late! :mad:

THIS!

(Except I did see it for about 3 seconds, but not enough time to get any pics)

Now feel obliged to go and take pictures just to see if the home made solar filter works. (But it is not as interesting) :sulk:

Last edited:
WAMT?
A letter from the council, going on about how much money rubbish sacks cost to supply to the residence,
in an effort to save a "considerable sum" as they put it, turns out to be £130,000 pa,
they are no longer going to supply "black bags" we now have to supply our own.
Oh and almost a "BTW" you council tax is going up by just over £100 pa!

Wigs. Or at least blokes that wear wigs (for non medical reasons) as per Elton John, Gary Newman etc etc. Mess!!!!

Wigs. Or at least blokes that wear wigs (for non medical reasons) as per Elton John, Gary Newman etc etc. Mess!!!!

Add John Travolta to that bunch.
Daftest looking rug EVER.

WAMT?
A letter from the council, going on about how much money rubbish sacks cost to supply to the residence,
in an effort to save a "considerable sum" as they put it, turns out to be £130,000 pa,
they are no longer going to supply "black bags" we now have to supply our own.
Oh and almost a "BTW" you council tax is going up by just over £100 pa!

When everyone buys the thinnest crappest bags that fall to bits before they're even loaded up they'll see the error of their ways...

Thank Christ I have a full head of hair, even for an ageing Skinhead:)

When everyone buys the thinnest crappest bags that fall to bits before they're even loaded up they'll see the error of their ways...
Lets hope so, but the cynic in me says,
they'll just leave it to get "wind blown", ;)

Just saw my council tax letter. Nice increase for all, yet our village contribution has gone down. Hmmm sometimes I wonder what the council actually provides us. I'd much prefer a centralised system where it is equal pay for all.

Reactions: ST4
Hmmm sometimes I wonder what the council actually provides us.
I think that was the least popular tax ever TBH, maybe equal to the (out dated and defunct) window tax.
No it doesn't seem fair at all. 1 (+1 occasional) person living in a 4 bed property paying far more that 4 people living in a 2 bed property.

I think that was the least popular tax ever TBH, maybe equal to the (out dated and defunct) window tax.
No it doesn't seem fair at all. 1 (+1 occasional) person living in a 4 bed property paying far more that 4 people living in a 2 bed property.
It is exactly that, I don't get this obsession with the value of the property in the UK. Just because it may be out on the market someone has to pay more for their water, their council tax etc. very strange and alien to me.

very strange and alien to me.
There was an expression used many years ago, and I can't remember where I first heard it or who said it.
It spawned a TV programme, of the same name, late 2009, the phrase?
"Rip off Britain"

There was an expression used many years ago, and I can't remember where I first heard it or who said it.
It spawned a TV programme, of the same name, late 2009, the phrase?
"Rip off Britain"
:) or ... You reap what you sow. Wasn't there a party who proposed a much fairer way to address this and it was met with riots.

Water isn't charged on the basis of a property's value, but on the number of occupants assumed to be living there.

I live in a three bed detached house and my water rates were calculated on the assumption of there being 2 adults and 2 children here.

Simple free installation of a water meter and my water bills plummeted :)

Reactions: Nod
Water isn't charged on the basis of a property's value, but on the number of occupants assumed to be living there.

I live in a three bed detached house and my water rates were calculated on the assumption of there being 2 adults and 2 children here.

Simple free installation of a water meter and my water bills plummeted :)
I think you are correct, not value of the property but the size/number of bedrooms. And like yourself, we just got a water meter installed and he problem was solved. It was so long ago we done that, that the full reasoning skipped my mind.

Naturally it also works the other way in the case of an over occupied property.

Agreed. I speak as someone well on the way to being a baldy but I do not understand the use of wigs. BTW are there medical reasons for wearing a wig, other than perhaps keeping the noggin warm?

Dave

Agreed. I speak as someone well on the way to being a baldy but I do not understand the use of wigs. BTW are there medical reasons for wearing a wig, other than perhaps keeping the noggin warm?

Dave

Yeh, I was thinking of those folk who are going through chemotherapy etc.

..... BTW are there medical reasons for wearing a wig, other than perhaps keeping the noggin warm?

Dave

I'd say that gradually losing one's hair give you time to adjust to the inevitability of it.
I suspect suddenly losing it due to, say, chemotherapy, can be incredibly traumatic. IMO wearing a wig to lessen that trauma whilst fighting a horrible disease, would qualify as a medical reason.

My mistake, Brash and Ruth. I now feel quite embarrassed for not thinking this through enough.

Dave

WAMT? Yet another bloody foot race making access to the city centre (and hence Mrs Nod's studio) a royal PITA. Even when we'd managed to get to a relatively close parking slot, we had to wait to cross the road in case we got in the way of a fun runner.

AND the psycholist who decided that head down and sod the consequences is the way to ride through a 20MPH zone. Yes, I know that speed limits don't apply to pedal cycles but it would appear that common sense doesn't apply to this particular person (or the other one who was cycling in a similar manner through a supposedly pedestrianized part of the city centre...)

Back