WAMT....what annoyed me today!

The first response was that all bees are a protected species and it appears that this is an internet myth.
I covered that with ...
I was easier to say protected than to go through all that lot
Seems I was wrong, taking a short cut turned out to be(e) a very long cut in the end.

I guess they were the Tree Bumblebee (Bombus hypnorum) which has only been in U.K. since 2001 which is my excuse for being unaware of it :(. Most (all?) the others nest in the ground or near ground level. In any case nests disappear later in the summer so not usually a problem, unlike wasps.

Mr Pestie says that Bumble bees are the worst. They certainly weren't nice house guests as despite being way up above the bathroom window they took an interest in anyone in the drive and really had to go PDQ as although we could come and go via the front door getting in and out of the car down the drive became a nervous dash. At least the wasps take little if any interest in us people, even when they came into the bedroom in numbers they never actually stung anyone.

Last edited:
I covered that with ...

Seems I was wrong, taking a short cut turned out to be(e) a very long cut in the end.

At the moment it looks to me that the beliefs that bees are a protected species and that only a licenced pest controller can legally kill them are both internet myths. But there are possibly restrictions on who can use the substances used to kill them.

I do agree there's a question mark over if we should kill any of these critters and left to my own devices I'd probably leave the current uninvited guests alone but I have two other people here and both I'd describe as "at risk" so there's not just me to consider.

If the guy comes I'll ask about bees if I get the chance.

Mr Pestie says that Bumble bees are the worst. They certainly weren't nice house guests as despite being way up above the bathroom window they took an interest in anyone in the drive and really had to go PDQ as although we could come and go via the front door getting in and out of the car down the drive became a nervous dash. At least the wasps take little if any interest in us people, even when they came into the bedroom in numbers they never actually stung anyone.
As I have no experience of these TreeBumblebees (if that is what they were) I can’t comment on that ,but I’ve never heard of or seen aggressive behaviour in Bumblebees even when I’ve accidentally destroyed their nest when grass mowing and never seen them “take an interest” in people so what your Pestie says seems completely wrong if he was talking about BBs in general :(.

I’ve never heard of or seen aggressive behaviour in Bumblebees
Me neither. We usually have a couple of nests here and they just get on with their bumbling.

As I have no experience of these TreeBumblebees (if that is what they were) I can’t comment on that ,but I’ve never heard of or seen aggressive behaviour in Bumblebees even when I’ve accidentally destroyed their nest when grass mowing and never seen them “take an interest” in people so what your Pestie says seems completely wrong if he was talking about BBs in general :(.

His reasoning was that they are aggressive and go straight for your face when removing the nest. I can only go on what I experienced and what I was told by the pest controller. I'd presume they are mainly aggressive in proximity to their nest as they never show any aggression near the flowers at the back. As it was pretty high, and you can guess the distance from the drive way to the eves in a two story house, it's maybe surprising but as they say "It happened to me."

As your bees were ground nesting and mine were up in the eves and accepting that I'm not making all this up maybe they were different types with different behaviours.

Other than that. I've been out the back and the wasps (I assume) are much quieter today maybe because it's windy. I'll see how things go and may make the call if necessary.

Last edited:
Mr Pestie says that Bumble bees are the worst.
Mr Pestie is pulling your plonker

At least the wasps take little if any interest in us people,
Wasps are the worse for attacking people that go anywhere near their nest.
I have had less trouble from hornets than wasps.

they are aggressive and go straight for your face when removing the nest.
That'll be wasps all over, hence wearing protective gear. They cling to the mesh and you can see the stings poking through the tight fitting veil.
They go for light and that is the "lightest part" as everything else is covered Or should be ...

but I’ve never heard of or seen aggressive behaviour in Bumblebees
We usually have a couple of nests here and they just get on with their bumbling.
Quoted for truth (y)

Last edited:
When I was little, I used to stroke the fuzzy little critters while they were visiting flowers. They completely ignored me.
Exactly, and I get lots in the house and catch and eject them with no bother.
Even wasps are OK away from their nest if you don't upset them (not to mention waving your arms about and causing vortices that suck them up you sleeves ... allegedly :LOL: ).

I've probably mentioned before that I used to feed visiting wasps (sugar & water) when they visited my window sill in a high- rise, so I’m a bit biassed in favour of the little büggers.

Even wasps are OK away from their nest if you don't upset them
Me and wasps have a simple treaty: they stay out of my way and I stay out of theirs. Otherwise, it's time for stronger measures...

Star Wars Trooper.jpg

I've only once seen a bumble bee try to sting someone, and that was an idiot who tried to pick it up by it's wing, so the bee could plead provocation and self-defense for that one.

Even wasps are OK away from their nest if you don't upset them (not to mention waving your arms about and causing vortices that suck them up you sleeves ... allegedly
As long as you aren't standing directly in their flight path to and from the nest, they will ignore you.

Waving arms about, What people don't realise is, that the minute to start to swat or try and move them on, doing an impression of a demented windmill, you become a predator in their eyes, and make no mistake the will attack.

Amazon, don't they ever give up!!!

Thought I had clocked no to Prime and find I am signed up

Their loss cancelled it immediately along with the order which I haven't redone yet, wasn't important

I bought some small items off eBay. Nothing special. £2 each. Three items. Delivery was supposed to be 2-3 days later. After 10 days, I asked for a refund as I could just buy from another seller. They asked me to wait until today. So far no delivery and the postman’s been. So unless they’re using a courier (unlikely for the price), it won’t arrive by the end of today.

Unlike my other items I’ve ordered off eBay and the internet in general since lockdown commenced. Everything has arrived either on time or earlier.

Put my computer on and found Edge had taken over as my browser, got back to firefox and found ime logged out on all my sites, what do they think they have gained.

Put my computer on and found Edge had taken over as my browser, got back to firefox and found ime logged out on all my sites, what do they think they have gained.

Ah! SWMBO laptop updated Edge in what appears to be a precursor to W10 2004 now being "ready" to download on her Dell.

The way Edge started it was IMO intrusive and 'demanding' wanting to be in charge default browser. I she 'Xed' it off to keep using IE

I have installed the Windows 10 update including the new 'Edge' browser on two PCs & neither have 'hijacked' my Opera browser default ......

I have installed the Windows 10 update including the new 'Edge' browser on two PCs & neither have 'hijacked' my Opera browser default ......
Isn't that a good thing?

I will have to see what happens when W10 2004 is offered to my PC.

PS I wonder if there is any difference in the offering/behaviour between W10 Home and Pro???

Never had a problem here either, no idea what version I have, but it works

Yes it is, I was contrasting my experience:) vs the two previous posts.
Just that it was in WAMT that was all :)

I guess I'll have to make the jump to W10 at some point, then I guess I'll have loads more to post in WAMT :D

I guess I'll have to make the jump to W10 at some point, then I guess I'll have loads more to post in WAMT :D

I put if off for years because I was happy with W7, and I'd read all sorts of horror stories about the 'upgrade', but I decided to do it in case the free offer ran out. No regrets, it was straightforward and has run without any glitches at all...I'll keep my fingers crossed for you when the time comes! ;)

it was straightforward and has run without any glitches at all.
I've avoided Windows for years but it runs very nicely on the LG 17" I just aquired. I wonder how long it will be before I change my mind... :sulk:

I put if off for years because I was happy with W7
It was a few years before I went from XP Pro to W7 pro. :D

and I'd read all sorts of horror stories about the 'upgrade',
I was following the TP threads closely at the time. And there was plenty of horror stories here :D
Obviously I didn't take up the free one ( although there is or was recently a work around) But I'm sure Bill Gates needs the 100 quid or so more than I do,
So I guess I'll pay him at some point.

.I'll keep my fingers crossed for you when the time comes!

WAMT is Mrs Nod's old inkjet printer filling its nappy (over about 10 years so not 100% unexpected!), relatively soon after she bought 2 sets of spare carts for it...
I think she has possible sourced a replacement (cheaper than the cost of the carts she already has) but it's going to take a while for it to arrive. Have to use my A3 printer for colour in the meantime and the laser one for B&W.

Reactions: Nod
Most of the recent printing she's needed has been A3 anyway - mainly covid notices for the studio. It'll keep the photo printer exercised as well!

I was a little irritated rather than annoyed this morning but had a chuckle in the end. You have to or you'll be on the tablets

On Friday I made a telephone call to the Recycling Centre to ask about taking some items down there..re Covid. The message went on as per usual....thank you for calling ..your call maybe recorded for training purposes..any data we collect on you will be subject to data protection law. If you are calling about Opening hours press 1 For information regarding hazardous waste press 2 To ask why the speed humps on the approach road haven't been re-painted white so you can see them.. press 3...and so on. Right at the end. 'Due to Covid virus precautions visits to the recycling centre are by booking only. To book please go on line. For any other information press 4. That last piece information should have been at the start. It's an 0845 number so 7p a minute plus 0-30p with our provider BT for the connection depending on the package we have. My wife deals with it so I don't know what package we have..I just know that I can watch football live on BT Sports.

So I completed the online form choosing the 9-10am slot today. After completeting the form a message came on screen. Thank you for completeing the booking form .You will be sent a confirmation Email to the Email addresss you provided. Here is your allocated booking number. No Email arrived so I screen grabbed the acknowledgement form showing my booking number assuming I'd have to show it.

I arrived at the tip at 9.20am and about 20th in line. I didn't mind waiting as I was entertained by four pied wagtails flying out of two nearby shrubs and doing acrobats in the air catching flying insects. I didn't reralise they were so agile, they were turning upside down. Accompanying them but just flying down onto the ground were two goldfinches.As I got nearer I saw that the driver of the vehicle at the front, by the entrance, was being spoken to by a rotund lady..I use the term 'lady' loosley..who had a clip board and was wearing an orange reflective jacket . I assume she was checking the booking number and crossing it off the list she had. Then as I was three cars from the entrance she walked away about 25m to some mobile units (offices). We all sat there waiting. There's a large A board sign at the entrance. Please wait for the attendant before proceeding. After about six or seven minutes the two infront of me got fed up and went on. I stopped at the entrance and waited a short while and started off whereupon the 'lady' returned and stopped me asking if I hadn't see the BIG WHITE SIGN. " Yes, and I saw you walk off to those units."I told her that the two cars infront of me waited but after a while decided to carry on. "Well they should have waited",she said. "I had to go and check some paperwork". I suggested..gently..she looked like someone that if she asked you the time you'd ask her what time she'd like it to be.. that if she had to leave her post that she tell the next driver. 'Have you got your booking form ? " I thought..oh dear..I told her that I had the booking number but after completing the form a message stated that I'd be sent a confirmation form by Email. I didn't get one" "Did you put in the right Email ? " I thought what a stupid question..how would I know that..but not wishing to cross this 'lady' I said yes ."You're supposed to press submit at the bottom of the screen " she said. I said that I had and got this form..I then told her that my car registration number should be on her list. She looked down it. Yes, it's here...you're Mr Hargreaves..?" Me..Sigh.."No" What's your name then ?" . I told her. "Well it's got Mr Hargraves by your car number" She then sighed and said "They've f****d up the paperwork again..... Off you go my love." and I did.

Last edited:
Looking at something on Amazon, price £75, went off to do some research, came back and price was up to
£140 WTF
So a web search found it elsewhere at £95 but out of stock oh well I can wait.
Check back on Amazon and it's now £275 :eek: and only one left, bet some mug will buy it, not me though

Does sticking an item in your Amazon basket reserve it for you at that price?

B'stards!

WAMT For a couple of years was that I couldn’t do the free upgrade from W7 to 10, repeated near successes then failed when I tried from time to time. Then I read that if you had Apples Windows software (iCloud I think, maybe iTunes) on it it it killed the upgrade, which I did so I removed it and the upgrade galloped through :).

Then I read that if you had Apples Windows software (iCloud I think, maybe iTunes) on it it it killed the upgrade,
I have neither so that's a couple of things that I can't get annoyed about :(

:D

I bet you could if you really, REALLY tried! :p

Back