WAMT....what annoyed me today!

First class letter post, posted on Wednesday morning arrived Saturday morning ........ not impressed.

Well upset me :(
A neighbour was worried because she hasn't seen the hedgehogs she feeds on her patio for a few,
asked me if I could set up the trailcam
Hedgehogs didn't appear until much later the usual, one was happily feeding whilst the another watched, waiting it's turn.
Next thing a fox dashes across the patio and grabs the waiting one, turns and runs off with it, lots of noise
A later clip showed a hedgehog try hard to get back across the patio area towards the food, wasn't moving well
Later clip showed another hedgehog stopping sniffing around where the injured one first stopped
I've had clips of the hedgehogs and foxes together in my front bit and they never took any notice of each
normally, but looking back, the last encounter about a week ago, the hedgehog did stop when it saw the fox,
turned and scuttled off so perhaps it's happened before
I've always been told that foxes don't harm healthy hedgehogs, seems it's not true

Until I read about it I also thought foxes tended to leave hedgehogs alone.
The odd encounters between fox and hedgehog our trail camera has recorded show the foxes giving the hog nothing more than a glance and the hedgehogs hardly appearing to notice the foxes. However, this is in a suburban area with plenty of available food for the foxes.

Dave

maybe because of coronavirus there's less food at the moment and some foxes are desperate.
One stole a sandwich box from someone having a picnic in hospital grounds recently.

However, this is in a suburban area with plenty of available food for the foxes.

Same here, but not a huge place, we do have houses all round us
I do think there is a lack of food with all the food outlets closed apart from takeaway
which has to be pre-ordered so people not going to them when the pubs shut as they did,
judging by the trail of empty, wrapping left behind as they made there way home

Previous encounters I've caught have bee n like yours, they just ignored each other
I'll set the trailcam up again tonight and see if it happens again

I once spoke to someone who explained that 24 hours was 3 days. It maybe 3 working days but that's not how most people would interpret "It'll be with you in 24 hours."

It turned up on Saturday, with a very cheery Hermes man, which was a nice change.

I ordered an Otterbox iPhone case and paid extra for next day delivery. I didn’t realise at the time they used UPS, who have always been rubbish in my book. Arrived 5 days after ordering (weekend in between), which was acceptable for meeting next day by UPS standards.

Don't think i've ever had anything delivered UPS before,,, Never hear anything good about them

I ordered a coldframe from an Amazon marketplace seller. The courier rang the door bell and then ran for it leaving a damaged box propped against the door, there was a big gash in it. The coldframe was ok but the plastic cover was ripped so I contacted the seller. Coms were slow but eventually they got the message that I'd accept a replacement cover rather than return the whole thing. They were out of covers so would I accept a partial refund? "Yes" said I, "I'll accept £24 because that's how much that exact cover costs on Amazon." "We'll give you £4" they said. So I gave up and put a claim in with Amazon and immediately got a full refund. The return of the whole item was then arranged and I left negative feedback for the slow coms and derisory £4 refund offer. Case closed until they emailed me today asking why I'd given them bad feedback :D This is annoying but also rather funny. They offered £4 to cover £24 damage? What did they expect? 5 stars? Muppets.

I ordered a coldframe from an Amazon marketplace seller. The courier rang the door bell and then ran for it leaving a damaged box propped against the door, there was a big gash in it. The coldframe was ok but the plastic cover was ripped so I contacted the seller. Coms were slow but eventually they got the message that I'd accept a replacement cover rather than return the whole thing. They were out of covers so would I accept a partial refund? "Yes" said I, "I'll accept £24 because that's how much that exact cover costs on Amazon." "We'll give you £4" they said. So I gave up and put a claim in with Amazon and immediately got a full refund. The return of the whole item was then arranged and I left negative feedback for the slow coms and derisory £4 refund offer. Case closed until they emailed me today asking why I'd given them bad feedback :D This is annoying but also rather funny. They offered £4 to cover £24 damage? What did they expect? 5 stars? Muppets.
Have you got a link to where you complained have a seller issue as well.

We had a lovely big rosebud and this morning it's gone. Something has been nibbling at a black plastic bag over a garden tub too. Do foxes eat rosebuds? I can't imagine a cat would be interested and I've never seen birds showing any interest in the roses before and this was quite a big bud. What could have taken it? It's a mystery.

Depends where you live, deer are partial to roses

Have you got a link to where you complained have a seller issue as well.

On Amazon under "My Orders" you should see a list of things you've bought and next to each item there should be a number of options one of which should be "Problem with order." That should get you a response from Amazon. When I contacted them I had a reply PDQ...

"Claim decision on order xyz."

"Hello,

We have granted your claim on order 206-8932537-0317163 and issued you a refund to your original payment method.

When will I receive my refund?
If you paid with a credit or debit card, the refund(s) may take a few days to appear on your statement. If you paid with an Amazon Gift Card, the refund(s) will be credited to your Amazon account. If you are still in possession of the item(s) and would like to return it, please contact the seller to organise a return.

How can I check the status of my claim?
To view more details on your claim or take any further action, please use this link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/pwo/ref=e?_encoding=UTF8&orderID=206-8932537-0317163

We’re here to help
For more information about the A-to-z Guarantee policy, please refer to our help pages: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_1161010_faq_a-z?nodeId=201889250

Thank you."

On Amazon under "My Orders" you should see a list of things you've bought and next to each item there should be a number of options one of which should be "Problem with order." That should get you a response from Amazon. When I contacted them I had a reply PDQ...

"Claim decision on order xyz."

"Hello,

We have granted your claim on order 206-8932537-0317163 and issued you a refund to your original payment method.

When will I receive my refund?
If you paid with a credit or debit card, the refund(s) may take a few days to appear on your statement. If you paid with an Amazon Gift Card, the refund(s) will be credited to your Amazon account. If you are still in possession of the item(s) and would like to return it, please contact the seller to organise a return.

How can I check the status of my claim?
To view more details on your claim or take any further action, please use this link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/pwo/ref=e?_encoding=UTF8&orderID=206-8932537-0317163

We’re here to help
For more information about the A-to-z Guarantee policy, please refer to our help pages: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_1161010_faq_a-z?nodeId=201889250

Thank you."
Cheers will have a look.Thank you

Depends where you live, deer are partial to roses

That's interesting but I've never seen a deer in this area. We have them on the hill which is maybe 20 minutes walk away and in theory they could come down and get to behind our road by only crossed one quiet road but then they'd have to walk down a cut through and then walk down our road with houses on either side for maybe 100m so I think that's unlikely.

I haven't seen a hedgehog here for years but surely the bud would be too high up for them. We've only ever seen one squirrel in the garden and they'd need to at least run through someone elses garden and cross a road to get to us (I've seen them do this once further up the road apart from having the one in our back garden) which is why we don't normally see them plus I don't know if they're out and about at night? I've just googled and apparently they are so maybe that's a possible answer? There are foxes and of course cats. I'm a bit phased that a fox would come down the drive and into the back garden but I suppose it's possible if times are hard and they're getting desperate and looking everywhere. I've seen them on cctv running down the street at night.

I suppose a rabbit is a possibility but I've never seen one here. I think maybe a squirrel or a fox.

Last edited:
So today i discovered that the keyboard shortcut to send a mail on App Mail (⇧ ⌘ D), discards your mail WITHOUT SAVING in Gmail.

phuxache

WAMT: the behaviour of a certain former member of this forum.

Okay, naming no names, but we had a member here, back in 2012-13. Basically, behaved like they owned the place and that the community rules didn't apply to them. They were asked to behave, ignored that, were told to behave, ignored that, were given a short holiday, promptly signed up a duplicate account which is expressly outside the rules, ranted via email when that account was also banned, were allowed back on the original account, ranted on the forum and were permanently banned.

At which point, they emailed the owners, stating that they could basically stick this place where the sun didn't shine (only ion more graphic terms) and that they'd use their social media presence to post damning reviews of this forum.

All pretty standard stuff, and kind of meat and drink to anyone who's managed a forum if I'm honest.

Then, 4 years or so later, they sign up again. Now, we're not stupid, we know it's a duplicate account, but, 4 years - people can change, maybe grow up, and, despite some peoples opinions of ANY people who run forums, we actually don't want to have to, and certainly dont enjoy banning anyone - its counter productive, we want more members not less, but when it gets to the point that we feel certain people are having such a negative impact on the forum we need to rein them in, at the end of the day, after all the carrots have been crunched, the biggest stick we have at our disposal is exclusions. So, benefit of the doubt, and we allowed the signup.

And, we thought they'd improved - they flew under the radar for a while, but a couple of years in reverted to type. And again, they were asked to behave, ignored that, were told to behave, ignored that, were given a short holiday... history repeats I guess... which is why it's important not to erase it, but thats a discussion for another thread ;).

So, eventually, when we were getting sick of opening up the forum to see the same person RTM'ed over and over, we went back into OUR history, refreshed our memories, and it was decided that the leopard was still spotty. At which point, yep, they were banned.

And again, he takes to social media to rant about us. Seems he really doesn't like us at all...

But yet, since being banned, he's tried to sign back up over half a dozen times...

I think if he does finally get back in via whatever nefarious means, we'll change his user name to Boomerang before binning him again.

But yet, since being banned, he's tried to sign back up over half a dozen times...
He must really love this place eh? :D
And yes I can confirm that the social media posts were quite colourful :D

I think if he does finally get back in via whatever nefarious means, we'll change his user name to Boomerang before binning him again.
I suspect that same character is active on another photography site. If it's the same chap, he's making a "thing" of being autistic so he can't be expected to conform to forum rules. Who knows? Maybe that's the case but I don't think it's a cross other members should have to bear.

If it's the same chap, he's making a "thing" of being autistic so he can't be expected to conform to forum rules.
I don't think its the same one, this one seems to suffer terribly with Tourettes ;)

But yes there has been a a few over the years that have cited "autism" for their (extremely) bad behaviour

Spent an hour and half trying to get xbox one to connect to wireless, even setting up a second wireless network to see if it was security levels on reasonably new router (not a big gamer so not using the internet on Xbox for 6 months isn’t unusual).

Turned out the stack of games/cd’s on top must of been blocking the signal.....

We've got a wasps nest just above the back door. I'm annoyed because the blighters always nest somewhere where I really have to do something about it. It's the first nest we've had above the door but we had them (wasps or bees) about six feet away one year and also above the bedroom and bathroom windows too. So, all places where I can't just leave them alone really.

So, I'm annoyed at the money I have to spend and equally the fact that they have to die. If only they'd nest somewhere where they can just be ignored.

So, I'm annoyed at the money I have to spend
Look for a local pestie with "BPCA" on their site, they should guarantee the work. ( free recall if it doesn't work) And it shouldn't cost you more that 40 quid.
Ask both questions before booking the call (y)

We've been using the same outfit every time. Last time they charged about £70 which I thought was reasonable. I think they charge depending upon how difficult the job is, as in how they get access and do they need a ladder etc. Where the nest is this time the exterminator will be able to just stand on step ladder.

It's partly the money but mostly to be honest the fact that they all have to die. If the silly sods nested somewhere else rather than above a door or a window I wouldn't have to do anything and could just leave them to it.

When they nested above the bedroom window I initially tried to ignore them and just keep the window shut but they got into the loft and followed the water pipes down into the airing cupboard and out into the bedroom and every time we went in there were Gosh knows how many crawling about on the bedroom window so they had to go.

Oh well. Darwin etc.

PS.
Mrs WW is a Buddhist but thankfully even she doesn't seem to object to the exterminators coming to dispose of wasp/bee nests as I think she's a bit frightened of them.

Last edited:
but they got into the loft and followed the water pipes down into the airing cupboard and out into the bedroom and every time we went in there were
They are attracted to light and that above is a classic example of how they become a "pest"

Last time they charged about £70
Blimey!

bee nests
All bees are protected species its highly unlikely that a professional pestie will destroy bees, unless there is a real danger to life.

Last edited:
They are attracted to light and that above is a classic example of how they become a "pest"

Blimey!

All bees are protected species its highly unlikely that a professional pestie will destroy bees, unless there is a real danger to life.

They are afaik a professional company and have been going for years and they certainly got rid of the bumble bees above our bathroom window a few years ago.

I've just googled and I can't see anything about bees including honey bees being protected, the internet seems to be saying it's legal to call pest control and for them to do as they see fit, as in remove / kill.

Last edited:
I've just googled and I can't see anything about bees including honey bees being protected,
You are quite right they are not legally protected under the WCA 1981, however the pest control industry as whole does not kill bees unless there is a danger to life.
From the BPCA website (governing body)
"however, they are endangered so we'd always recommend exploring all other avenues before considering eradication".

And the fact that only Licensed Pesties can kill legally kill them, means they are afforded some protection,
As I mentioned above a professional company will only kill them if there is a danger to life.

I was easier to say protected than to go through all that lot TBH, As YOU or any other members of the public cannot kill them.
Of course I'm not talking about stamping on a bee but destroying their nests.
So yes by default they are protected

Last edited:
WAMT?

The thread about "how to have a good Fathers day" :mad:

Still very raw from the loss of my much loved Dad 2 years ago.

Reactions: Nod
I like typos! Generally ignore them but that one was too good to walk on by. (The old : P was much more suitable IMO.)

You are quite right they are not legally protected under the WCA 1981, however the pest control industry as whole does not kill bees unless there is a danger to life.
"however, they are endangered so we'd always recommend exploring all other avenues before considering eradication".

And the fact that only Licensed Pesties can kill legally kill them, means they are afforded some protection,
As I mentioned above a professional company will only kill them if there is a danger to life.

I was easier to say protected than to go through all that lot TBH, As YOU or any other members of the public cannot kill them.

I wish you’d come and read that out to my dog. I’ve got a good population of bumblebees but she delights in killing them, in the house or outside :(.

BTW “bumble bees above our bathroom window” sounds a bit unusual, posted by @woof woof ?

We'll have to disagree on this.

I'm not seeing any evidence that the company I've used or any other would be acting illegally by killing bees. Quite the contrary as there are some sites which seem to saying that bees being a protected species is a myth which predates the internet and is possibly a result of a misinterpretation of UK BAP.

It's all relatively easy to Google. I typed in "Is it legal to kill bees in the UK?" Google and the internet as a whole may be questionable at times though :D

So, if need be I'll ring the usual people and be guided by what they say. It's probably academic though as I think they're wasps.

I'm not seeing any evidence that the company I've used or any other would be acting illegally by killing bees. Quite the contrary as there are some sites which seem to saying that bees being a protected species is a myth which predates the internet and is possibly a result of a misinterpretation of UK BAP.

It's all relatively easy to Google. I typed in "Is it legal to kill bees in the UK?" Google and the internet as a whole may be questionable at times though :D

So, if need be I'll ring the usual people and be guided by what they say. It's probably academic though as I think they're wasps.
Yes but what Cobra is saying that although there is no specific law responsible pest control companies won’t kill bees unless there is a threat to life

I wish you’d come and read that out to my dog. I’ve got a good population of bumblebees but she delights in killing them, in the house or outside :(.

BTW “bumble bees above our bathroom window” sounds a bit unusual, posted by @woof woof ?

I've no idea where they prefer to nest but here they just seemed to do as the wasps do and nested somewhere in the eves above the bathroom window. They were big buzzy things and what you or I would very probably recognise as "Bumble Bees" and this was confirmed my Mr Pest Controller.

Yes but what Cobra is saying that although there is no specific law responsible pest control companies won’t kill bees unless there is a threat to life
Exactly, Thanks Pete (y)

Disagree all you like (y)
I'm not saying they are protected under the WCA but are afford protection by those licenced to kill them.

And yes in the past I have killed bees ie in someones chimney, justification? they were dropping down in their 100's into the child's "play room"
In a school sand pit Justification? it doesn't take a lot of working out.

Of course there are more, but the above are the guidelines I work to, and has every other firm I've worked for.

BTW “bumble bees above our bathroom window” sounds a bit unusual,
Indeed they much prefer to nest at ground level.
In anything from soil to a pile of rags in a garage ( and yes I've seen it all.)

Last edited:

The first response was that all bees are a protected species and it appears that this is an internet myth.

I've only spent a few minutes googling to see if anyone can kill bees and again the belief that you can't seems to be another internet myth. I may be wrong but that's how it's looking at the moment. There may however be restrictions on who can use the various substances that are used to kill them and maybe this is where the myth that only the pros can do it comes from?

The question of if we should be killing bees or anything else is another question. Honey bees I assume have some value, and I don't mean just financial, and if there's a local beekeeper maybe the pest control company could pass them onto them if removal and transport is viable and if they'll accept them. As I said though, this is academic at the moment unless we have honey bees above the back door and at the moment I doubt that's what they are.

What the professionals do if I call them I'll leave to them.

I like typos! Generally ignore them but that one was too good to walk on by.
Of course it was, And I'd done that same had I spotted similar (y)

I've no idea where they prefer to nest but here they just seemed to do as the wasps do and nested somewhere in the eves above the bathroom window. They were big buzzy things and what you or I would very probably recognise as "Bumble Bees" and this was confirmed my Mr Pest Controller.
I guess they were the Tree Bumblebee (Bombus hypnorum) which has only been in U.K. since 2001 which is my excuse for being unaware of it :(. Most (all?) the others nest in the ground or near ground level. In any case nests disappear later in the summer so not usually a problem, unlike wasps.

Back