WAMT....what annoyed me today!

I intend speaking to someone at Sainsburys about the over-use of their plastic bags. Great strides were made since 2015 in reducing the flimsy plastic bags you got at the check out after the 5p charge was introduced. This resulted in an an 86% reduction.This year it's to include all retailers, not just those of a certain size..like the supermarkets and the charge increases to 10p.

Then came Covid and the click & collect took off. I was astounded at the number of bags that we were given. On one collection I counted 12 bags when 5 would have done. 4 at a push. The reason is that some bags had just two items in. I was chatting about it to a friend earlier today and he said it's the same at Tescos.To be honest, as someone who cares a great deal about the environment and wildlife, I despair.

Maybe I should contact this organisation.

Last edited:
Another one that's annoying and also baffling. The photo speaks for itself. I wondered what my wife had ordered when it arrived this afternoon. Courtesy of Amazon. Turns out it was a pair of knitting needles 41cm (16") long.

View attachment 289349

I ordered an extra large leaf rake ...

... came in an Amazon box. :rolleyes:

I had a delivery from Amozon today, and the contents were actually in a box for the size of the contents,
with minor and suitable internal "buffering" (y)
So they can do it if they try ;)

Annual sight test this afternoon so had to wear my specs rather than contacts and being in a shop, had to wear a mask as well. Quite apart from the overcrowding over my ears (I wear hearing aids as well...), how do you keep your specs from steaming up?

Annual sight test this afternoon so had to wear my specs rather than contacts and being in a shop, had to wear a mask as well. Quite apart from the overcrowding over my ears (I wear hearing aids as well...), how do you keep your specs from steaming up?

I don't seem to have a problem with my glasses steaming up, neither does Mrs F. the only thing I can put it down to is the fact that we clean ur glasses with lens wipes.

Wipe some fairy liquid on the inside and let it dry

Tried lens wipes and soap. Just spotted my Bob Heath bike visor sprat so will give that a try. Don't wear my specs very often (and a mask even less frequently - don't tend to go where they're required or needed!)

The heat! Had very little sleep last night and working from home means that I really miss thwe aircon in the office.

At least I managed to dig out an extra fan!
IMG_2416.jpg

Good job you're not in the office ...

... no aircon or fans allowed! ;)

Interestingly, just had an email saying that there was a record 31 people are in head office today. They believe the aircon has tempted them in.

Good job you're not in the office ...

... no aircon or fans allowed! ;)
Office fans presumably send the virus droplets/aerosols further & faster ;).

Office fans presumably send the virus droplets/aerosols further & faster ;).
That's all well and good for one floor / area. (y)
But air con spreads it all around the building, slower granted but the result is the same (y)
:D

Last edited:
I WAS COUGHING TODAY ONCE I LEFT THE PUB AND SOME REALLY OLD COW HAD A RIGHT GO AT ME, AS i COUGHED AND HAD TO SPIT OUT.

Calleing me all the names going so I had to be polite and tell her to F*** off before I cough on her, stupid old women trying to make them selfs feel good how sad.

I WAS COUGHING TODAY ONCE I LEFT THE PUB AND SOME REALLY OLD COW HAD A RIGHT GO AT ME, AS i COUGHED AND HAD TO SPIT OUT.

Calleing me all the names going so I had to be polite and tell her to F*** off before I cough on her, stupid old women trying to make them selfs feel good how sad.

Don't be an idiot Dave

Presumably you had sense enough to cough into a handkerchief and spit the same way?

Dunno if this actually annoyed me, more of an "Oh my Gosh!" really.

It's coming up to spider season here and yesterday whilst doing some housework I came across the biggest spider I've ever seen in the house, or in the wild or anywhere outside of a display case. It was massive.

I hate the things, the way they move and they're often fast. Anyway, I hope that's not a harbinger of things to come this spider season.

Dunno if this actually annoyed me, more of an "Oh my Gosh!" really.

It's coming up to spider season here and yesterday whilst doing some housework I came across the biggest spider I've ever seen in the house, or in the wild or anywhere outside of a display case. It was massive.

I hate the things, the way they move and they're often fast. Anyway, I hope that's not a harbinger of things to come this spider season.
Same here....My wife was just about to put her gardening shoes on when she discovered a very large spider inside one. It was given the jam jar & card treatment and is now lodged somewhere in the flower bed outside. She is hoping it stays there ......

Same here....My wife was just about to put her gardening shoes on when she discovered a very large spider inside one. It was given the jam jar & card treatment and is now lodged somewhere in the flower bed outside. She is hoping it stays there ......
It’ll be back :).

Mrs WW is Thai and I'd have expected to see big spiders in Thailand (she lived in Chonburi which is a big city and also has a house in the country) but I don't think I've ever seen a single one there. She says they do have them but they're smaller than the ones shes seen in the UK, she says they maybe have big ones in the forests but not in their houses. She's been amazed by the ones she's seen here. They do have geckos which are everywhere and Googling tells me they're various eaters of spiders so maybe that's why they don't get them in their houses there. I think I'd rather have the Geckos.

Mrs WW is Thai and I'd have expected to see big spiders in Thailand (she lived in Chonburi which is a big city and also has a house in the country) but I don't think I've ever seen a single one there. She says they do have them but they're smaller than the ones shes seen in the UK, she says they maybe have big ones in the forests but not in their houses. She's been amazed by the ones she's seen here. They do have geckos which are everywhere and Googling tells me they're various eaters of spiders so maybe that's why they don't get them in their houses there. I think I'd rather have the Geckos.
Well it’s seasonal here and the house spider (Eratigena Africa) males are looking for mates and so more visible. I guess Thailand being tropical doesn’t have similar seasonality so the beasties stay wherever they are? The geckos will eat them no doubt but if there are are geckos everywhere there must be invertebrates everywhere too :).

Possibly a Giant House Spider, which seems to be a larger form of the house spider. There seems to be some debate about the taxonomy of these spiders, but it isn't very relevant here. Their fangs can apparently penetrate human skin, but they're not considered dangerous.

I like spiders, they're interesting, but we did have a couple of scares when my kids were young. They found a messy web under our garden table and started prodding the inhabitant with straws to 'encourage' him or her to come out and play...until my wife put a stop to the game. It was a brown button spider, and highly venomous.

Possibly a Giant House Spider, which seems to be a larger form of the house spider. There seems to be some debate about the taxonomy of these spiders, but it isn't very relevant here. Their fangs can apparently penetrate human skin, but they're not considered dangerous.

I like spiders, they're interesting, but we did have a couple of scares when my kids were young. They found a messy web under our garden table and started prodding the inhabitant with straws to 'encourage' him or her to come out and play...until my wife put a stop to the game. It was a brown button spider, and highly venomous.

The official line seems to be that most if not every single native UK spider can't penetrate human skin but it seems like every year there's a horror story or two in the news about people being bitten and there's the worry about reactions, if only maybe one in a million chance but who knows? I think just to be safe it's a good idea not to walk / sit about with bare feet as I tend to do and to maybe check shoes and slippers before putting them on.

Mrs WW (a Buddhist) prefers to capture any wildlife and put it outside but I do worry about the perhaps infinitesimally small risk with spiders and as she has a blood condition (I don't know if that's relevant but it's one of those conditions that eastern people seem to get, not generally us native UK people, it's something I've put on the list of things to worry about) I don't really want her to take even a tiny risk.

On geckos, I think what I read said words to the effect that Geckos are voracious eaters of spiders and in a closed environment the geckos will eat them all. Presumably they'd eat the spiders feed too. That'd do me.

Last edited:
The official line seems to be that most if not every single native UK spider can't penetrate human skin...
There's a few that can bite, but it's either a mistake, or the spider's only remaining option. Given the option they'll run away first.

Means you agree you should be banned?

If someone is going to call me all the swear words under the sun just for coughing in to my hanky then she had the problem, old and paranoid and looking for a big argument even the man she was with looked shocked at how she was. Wont go to that pub again anyway as they don`t have any screens up in the bar too.

There's a few that can bite,
As I posted elsewhere virtually non have fangs capable of penetrating the the human skin, they may "break in to it"
But not through it.
IIRC the wolf spider being the exception that proves the rule (y)

Possibly a Giant House Spider, which seems to be a larger form of the house spider
it’s those 5G masts making the spiders bigger :exit:
. There seems to be some debate about the taxonomy of these spiders, but it isn't very relevant here. Their fangs can apparently penetrate human skin, but they're not considered dangerous.

it’s those 5G masts making the spiders bigger :exit:
That's all very well, but what about those star-links that are now floating about, the everyone seems to have forgotten about.
God knows what they are up to :(

As I posted elsewhere virtually non have fangs capable of penetrating the the human skin
There's the woodlouse spider; big teef on those guys. Also saw my dad bitten by a european garden spider while pruning a hedge and brushing against it's web. Left a lump like a big nettle sting.

They've evolved to bite through the armour of woodlice and pillbugs.
(Cellar spiders just turn them over and bite the wriggly bit.)

I've heard about that, but never seen it.
Seen a fox nip in and steal the meat scraps put out for hoggy, who seemed to be mostly :wideyed: as their dinner disappeared.

Back