WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Can’t understand that, when I lived in Town my dogs always crapped in the gutters. No pickup laws then. However, I don’t quite understand John’s post as running actually in the gutter would be quite tricky. Round here there are grass verges (no pavements generally outside built-up areas) and they are difficult to walk on (not regularly mowed) compared to the roads.

Just seen your post ,Richard. I've just set out my thinking. to Brian.

I need to see Ndombele's (Spurs) goal on MOTD..10.30 . It was on Sky and I don't have Sky so had to listen to it on Five Live. Possible goal of the month the commentator said and urged listeners to watch it on MOTD. Also would like to see Liverpool v Manchester United game :wave: :D

Maybe,Brian but I'm more inclined to think that it's to save them running round pedestrians. I can see your point re not running on the 15m wide grassed area alongside the road because that would be a bit muddy and yes, possibly dog poo as people walk their dogs along there so a valid suggestion so why not on the pavement ? Pedestrians to negotiate. I'd have thought. We even have a 1.5m wide grass verge between the footpath and the road. There's no footpath on the side of the road they were running on.This was 8.00am this morning ,though. I've seen them doing doing it for a long time..ie before covid distancing. so it's not for that reason. Anyway, all said and done it's not a very safe thing to do either .All too easy to be struck by an inattentive motorist. I've even seen them doing it in the dark wearing fluorescent bands.
You may be right, they may be taking their social distancing seriously & keeping away from pedestrians? I hate it when out for a walk and some jogger sneaks up behind me and passes too closely:mad:

Oops just reread your post,missed the bit about pre-covid activity :(

Last edited:
WAMT ? Two joggers running along the road in the gutter. Not an uncommon sight anywhere. It's not even a busy road and next to them is a 15m wide grassed area.:rolleyes:

As a runner, it could be because if wet grass can be really slippery, and if grass is long can be quite lumpy/bumpy and hard to see holes which could easily lead to going over on an ankle or something. Unless i do laps of our rec, i will never run on grass unless a last resort. Dog poop is also a valid reason.

As a runner, it could be because if wet grass can be really slippery, and if grass is long can be quite lumpy/bumpy and hard to see holes which could easily lead to going over on an ankle or something. Unless i do laps of our rec, i will never run on grass unless a last resort. Dog poop is also a valid reason.

I do agree on both points. As an aside and in defence of the dog walkers I haven't seen any leave the poo. There are bins along the stretch and when I've walked along the area I've never seen any dog poo but there's always some who aren't responsible in that way and I can understand why runners can't take that chance.

I'll stick to my belief,though, that the runners want a clear straight run, they don't want to be deviating around people every so often which is why when I see any runners or joggers coming towards me I'll step aside on the grounds that they are 'on a mission'..:D Infact, I sometimes have a joke and say..'That's what I should be doing" Usually brings a smile. By the way, I looked out of the front bedroom window this morning at about 8.15 and saw a man pounding the tarmac along the gutter but on our side that has a footpath. I'm a great believer in what can happen will happen:( I do take my hat off to them,though. I prefer a brisk walk, myself.. :)

WAMT is people charging way over the odds for PS5 consoles on Amazon UK. I have been looking for one for my grandaughter. Ebay is full of comedians too.

The list price is around £450, a couple of chancers on Amazon are asking £880 or £1000, the one asking £1000 even has the nerve to charge £2.03 postage.

I will wait .......

edited to say they have both gone now, not sure if someone bought them or they were removed from sale.......

Last edited:
Not sure it qualifies as annoyed but...

Finally been told when I'll be made redundant today. Been unofficially happening for about 6 months so happy to know when.

Annoyingly it's the 31st march, I go on 3 week honeymoon on the 10th April so would really have to start a new job in May, so the package will just cover my time off. Just need someone to hire me for 9 days then let me have 3 weeks off haha

Finally been told when I'll be made redundant today. Been unofficially happening for about 6 months so happy to know when.

Annoyingly it's the 31st march, I go on 3 week honeymoon on the 10th April so would really have to start a new job in May, so the package will just cover my time off. Just need someone to hire me for 9 days then let me have 3 weeks off haha

Stranger things than that have happened before now.

Stranger things than that have happened before now.

Either start on 1st, take the holidays and build a garden gym with the redundancy money... Or have April off work... Either way I'll be fine.

Not snobby about what job I do as long as I can pay the bills

Either start on 1st, take the holidays and build a garden gym with the redundancy money... Or have April off work... Either way I'll be fine.

Not snobby about what job I do as long as I can pay the bills

Good stuff. With a positive attitude maybe you can succeed even in these troubled times. I hope so.

Until I decided to leave the 9-5 I always worked and although these c19 times are very tough those who try hard and are flexible may find some work. It might not be a dream job but I always thought of day 1 as the starting point or at least something to keep the money coming in until I found something better.

One of Mrs WW's immigrant friends decided to knock on business doors and ask and got a job in one day. Maybe he was just incredibly lucky but I hope it was more initiative and attitude. He now makes pizzas and has been such a success the boss employed a young person as his helper / apprentice :D A while back my niece did similar and got two part time jobs in shops literally next to each other making her full time employed.

Good luck with it.

Just a bit of positivity... My nephew recently took a gamble and took voluntary redundancy as he thought his place would fold and the voluntary deal was a good deal, better than the package he'd get if he clung on in and they folded. He's been zapping his CV off and had some Skype interviews and today learned he's got a job :D and he says the money is ok :D He's also apparently doing well and is in the running for another two so hopefully he'll be able to cherry pick the best one for him. It also looks like he was right to take the redundancy deal as he looks like walking into a decent job with the redundancy money still nice and warm in his bank account.

Just goes to show that with a positive attitude, perseverance, flexibility and maybe some luck thrown in there too even in these difficult times it's possible.

Here's hoping it's onwards and upwards for you very soon Richard, and of course that it fits in with your plans. Congrats BTW

Last edited:

Mrs made redundant, Did 2 week induction and went on holiday for 2 weeks (prebooked prior to the redundancy process) company even paid her Holiday pay which we werent expecting

Cadent gas for the last 10 days. Turned up a week earlier than they were supposed to.. Closed the road so folk could barely drive off and on to their own drives. Stopped bin collections. Delayed deliveries. Cut gas off for 10 hours in one go in winter and during a plague so no proper heating or running hot water for an entire day. Road is an utter mess now. Tarmac patches are poor and neighbours have had their driveways dug up and only half fixed.

Winter months shouldn't be the time for doing any of this. Plague or no plague.

I'd bet these plastic pipes don't last as long as they think they will either.

Glad to see the back of them! I obviously realise replacing gas mains is a good thing but I will still moan about the experience as lived through :)

Mrs made redundant, Did 2 week induction and went on holiday for 2 weeks (prebooked prior to the redundancy process) company even paid her Holiday pay which we werent expecting

I've been told by my boss they'll honour our wages till the end of march no matter what happens and pay the payment.

So if I find a new job next week then I'm laughing (as will the tax man)

Patronising cow!

WTF would she know??? She hasnt got to keep jobs going and basically ignore kids all day, doesnt need to worry about finances... all she needs to do is home-schooling and thats it! I like the royal family but dont pretend you are struggling along with us!

Patronising cow!

WTF would she know??? She hasnt got to keep jobs going and basically ignore kids all day, doesnt need to worry about finances... all she needs to do is home-schooling and thats it! I like the royal family but dont pretend you are struggling along with us!

I saw that too and had similar thoughts. There are other ways of someone in her position commenting on the situation. Perhaps an acknowledgement that they are in a privileged position and saying they realise many people have a much more difficult time.

They have an advisor and a communication secretary, couldn't either have said, "Your royal highness telling the average person who might have been furloughed or lost their job, who now faces an economically very difficult time and who does not have any staff, that you are 'exhausted' is not the best idea.

Dave

Car's dead! My fault really as it hasn't moved since October.

Will venture out when/if the weather improves. Hopefully just a case of using the key to manually open the door and pressing the 12v battery reset button. Got an appointment Monday so might be a bit stuffed if that doesn't work. :oops: :$

Car's dead! My fault really as it hasn't moved since October.
Mine needed help from my spare battery yesterday and I last used the car ten days ago. I don't think these intermittent short journeys are very good for it. :(

No, but the 12v battery reset button should charge it from the main battery. That's the theory anyway.

Otherwise it's a call to the RAC.

If the 12v has been left flat for ages then you'll need a new one anyway. The smart chargers are good at resurrecting batteries if they've only gone flat once or twice. More than that and they're often toast.

Otherwise it's a call to the RAC.
TBH if it were me, I'd call them anyway assuming there is no rush.
You pay enough for the privilege.
If its included in your insurance, even better (y)

If the 12v has been left flat for ages then you'll need a new one anyway. The smart chargers are good at resurrecting batteries if they've only gone flat once or twice. More than that and they're often toast.

I'll see if the reset works. I'm not sure if I can even access the 12v battery if I'm honest.

TBH if it were me, I'd call them anyway assuming there is no rush.
You pay enough for the privilege.
If its included in your insurance, even better (y)

It's a Motability vehicle so everything is included.

If you have power close to the parking spot, it might be worth investing in a battery conditioner/trickle charger and keeping it plugged in if the car's going to be unused for a while. Worth leaving the charger lead draped over the wing mirror so you don't forget to unplug the thing!!!

Roadworks traffic controls. Sat at a red light waiting for it to go green. Realised only during the second cycle that mine was faulty. What’s the point in having them up if they don’t work??

My tv informed me it was no longer connected to the internet this morning, she wanted to watch Netflix, spent approx an hour trying to reconnect to no avail, then I found a sub menu marked ‘expert’ looked in and was able to switch off WiFi, wait ten seconds and switch back on, also found router and password settings stored in there too, 5 seconds later all done.
Why mark ‘expert’ not recommended, bugger. At least she was happy, eventually.

Not annoyed but totally p***ed off.
The bloke on the opposite shift to me is one lazy f****r. On his shift he is known as Downtime Dave as he always finds an excuse not to do anything. On my shift he is known by a four letter word beginning with C.
I have worked opposite the bloke for just over a year and due to the nature of the engine testing on a dyno that we do, it destroys clutches. Last year he left me 6 clutches to replace, he did none. This year I have already replaced one, yesterday about an hour before I finished my shift, the clutch went. Great I thought, chance to get my own back. Asked for a clutch, which would have to be got from the stores on the next shift. I then removed the starter motor, the prop shaft and dropped the exhaust out of the way. Even hooked the engine upto the crane so the empty gearbox housing could be unbolted and the clutch changed. Unbolting the gearbox housing would take about half hour, it took him 2hrs according to the log we keep. He then sat around doing nothing for the next 6hrs waiting for a clutch. I bet he never even bothered chasing it up.
So this morning, yet again, I have to fit a new clutch.
To make matters worse, he has put the gearbox housing on the floor, still bolted to the mount that then bolts to the pallet the engines are mounted on. That's going to make it heavy and awkward to line it all up and bolt it back together.

Good job you're a big, strong boy...

My tv informed me it was no longer connected to the internet this morning, she wanted to watch Netflix, spent approx an hour trying to reconnect to no avail, then I found a sub menu marked ‘expert’ looked in and was able to switch off WiFi, wait ten seconds and switch back on, also found router and password settings stored in there too, 5 seconds later all done.
Why mark ‘expert’ not recommended, bugger. At least she was happy, eventually.

Our Virgin has been appalling recently.

Good job you're a big, strong boy...
Good job we have half hour break between shifts so I don't have to see him.
The reason a clutch wasn't supplied is because the stores that supplies parts, doesn't supply the engineer I am working for at the moment as he is a different cost centre, we had been allowed a clutch a couple of weeks ago which should have been replaced, which it wasn't, so they refused to supply another. But that didn't stop them from ordering one out of the main stores themselves.

We got one within an hour or so of the start of the shift, which I fitted, had to wait for a different engineer to check all components were correct, just incase there was anything obvious as to why the clutch had been destroyed after just 2 or 3 weeks. My foreman did suggest leaving the rest of the assembly for the lazy git on late shift, but I couldn't do that, knowing my luck he would have somehow left it for me for Monday afternoon anyway. :(

To top it all off he broke a pressure fitting on the exhaust when he moved the gearbox housing out onto the floor. I had to remap that and fix it. I wouldn't mind but I had already fixed that once yesterday morning after he had broken it the day before. :(

The engineer I work with was working from home today, so I emailed him to let him know when we were up and running again and back in test.
Got a very nice reply from him thanking me for everything I had done including a turbo problem we had yesterday. Reading between the lines, I think he has sussed onto the fact that the got on the other shift isn't just lazy, but difficult to work with, just as the previous engineer found out.
Still once this work is done, I think I maybe returning to my previous test cell. Not sure where the lazy git will end up, best place I can think of is head first in the lake at the back of the estate.

^^^^ the other shift guy, if as you say has a long history of 'breaking' things in his work period.....................gives me pause to wonder if there is an element of sloppiness and/or deliberate action on his part. Maybe time that they put a temporary CCTV in place to actually monitor the "work", whatever the reason for the other 'damage' it is surely of concern???

Last edited:
Was it "The cabin in the woods" in which the following exchange takes place...

Incredulously "Virgin?"
"We work with what we have."

Popped in to the Butcher's today, eyed up some rib eye, chose a juicy looking one and put it under the others, planning to pop back in on the way home - came back 20 mins later and it was gone, the other steaks had been tossed aside - someone dug for it!! this annoyed me, so I bought 2 of the mediocre ones to make up for it :D - next time, ask the butcher to hold it for me ... d'oh!

^^^^ the other shift guy, if as you say has a long history of 'breaking' things in his work period.....................gives me pause to wonder if there is an element of sloppiness and/or deliberate action on his part. Maybe time that they put a temporary CCTV in place to actually monitor the "work", whatever the reason for the other 'damage' it is surely of concern???
I'd love for that too happen, unfortunately the union would probably raise a s*** storm. Plus because it's a research and development facility, there are restrictions on cameras. I know for a fact he doesn't care about the job and has no pride in his work, but I can't work out if that is the reason why things break or whether he is indeed doing these things deliberately. I am leaning towards the latter more and more. The engine is covered in thermocouple to measure various temperatures and loads of pressure lines to measure boost pressure, exhaust pressures etc. As I finished resembling everything today, I noticed a plastic pressure line just hanging, I guessed it may have come out of its connector where it plugs into a boom that takes all the pressure measurements. I checked which one it was supposed to be plugged into and the connector was missing. The plastic line could have possibly come out of the connector but the connector can not possibly fall off the boom it has to be physically unplugged and I know I didn't do it and no one else would have reason to do it. So that just leaves one person.
I'll just carry on doing my bit, putting an entry in the log everytime I have to fix something that has broke. Eventually the management might just do something about him.

Back