WAMT....what annoyed me today!

ok change that, I hate windows 10
It did another update earlier and hung on the preparing screen for an hour :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Phone has just updated too

Not that I use my laptop much, but I haven't updated whatever level of Windows it runs in years. Each time I let it update, it screwed something up, so I had to restore back to before the update. It also wouldn't allow me to install Windows 10.

Being opted in to the work place pension, yet again, after opting out 3 years ago.
It seems I have to be "Offered" this every three years.
I was opted in on the 1st of this month.
I have until the end of the month to opt out!
(Done!)

Last time I did this ( at the first available time, as this time, 3 weeks to do so) they still took 2 months payments and took a further month to repay it all.
I have now found the person responsible for "our company" and gave him a rocket up the arse.

We'll see what happens next.
But I still say that opt in should be voluntary, be that pensions, insurance etc etc, and not having to fight to opt out once subscribed!

I have now found the person responsible for "our company" and gave him a rocket up the arse.
Did he reach orbital velocity? :coat:

I was using XP for a few years after they dropped support,. only going to W7 when I had to ( New build)
Bestbeloved is STILL using XP and refuses to consider anything else. Not only that, but she has never updated, upgraded, downloaded any security updates or anything - just the original straight from the box XP. She never has any problems. She also refuses point-blank to connect to the Interweb - for that she uses my machine.

Far to dangerous to be out today, we have trees blown down here in Brighton & Hove.

Coming home at lunchtime, we came across a car parked on the left (facing us) with a smashed windscreen then a few yards further up on the right, a fallen tree branch. Fortunately, no-one appeared to have been hurt.

If I had to guess, I'd say the largest number of gripes in this thread are driving related and mine today is no different! Had to do a full on emergency stop as, at a crossroads (traffic giving way from left & right, a car comes out from the right and goes straight across the front of me. Getting sick of these arrogant arseholes who think the rules of the road don't apply to them, usually because they're driving large & expensive German cars (this was a BMW if you haven't already guessed).

And I'm the one who had to go through tuition & assessments and have to renew my license every 3 years! :rolleyes:

German cars (this was a BMW if you haven't already guessed).
There are some German cars which are usually driven with care and caution (if only because the driver wouldn't survive a collision)...

Panasonic G9 8GB 08 P1012622.JPG

Nothing to do with their brakes and tyres being so bloody awful that a little whole load of caution needs to be taken when driving? Based on the crap brakes and road holding of my similar aged Land Rover Diesel.

Nothing to do with their brakes and tyres being so bloody awful that a little whole load of caution needs to be taken when driving? Based on the crap brakes and road holding of my similar aged Land Rover Diesel.

If I had to do an emergency stop in my first lwb Defender and wasn't very careful to centre the steering first the back end had a disconcerting tendency to try to overtake the front............... The all round discs on my 'new' one, only 20 years young, are more predictable but it's still a big ask. That's why I have a proper bull bar.................;)

Last edited:
Are those things still legal
I was pretty sure they were made illegal about 10 years ( or so ) ago.
Due the the amount of damage they did to those fleshy road users either on 2 wheels or two legs.
But you could have flimsy plastic ones for aesthetic reasons.

But you could have flimsy plastic ones for aesthetic reasons.
Quite a long time ago I saw a 4x4 with a bar mounted horizontally across the front of the radiator. Oddly enough most of it was covered in what looked like a couple of inches of vinyl encased foam. Maybe that's what the new regulations stipulate. Not very he-man in appearance though... :naughty:

Are those things still legal (even on older vehicles)? I once saw what one could do to the side of a bus and wouldn't want to be in front of anything with one of those fitted! :runaway:

EDIT: I see they are: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/bull-bars/bull-bars. mutter mutter.

It's okay - there aren't many buses around here.............
As it was on when I had the vehicle, it's legal. TBH I can't see what the problem is with them on the right vehicle. It's not a Chelsea tractor I'm driving. It's saved my vehicle from a fair amount of damage - a near head on with a boy racer. Bend on a single track lane, I'm coming into it at 15mph, he's doing 50 (yes 50) mph. I stopped, he didn't. He and his passenger did walk away from it, btw. Taking out a tree when a tanker driver took a bend on my side of the road. And numerous accasions round those lovely Devon lanes trying to be helpful to the doggy walker car drivers. Expect them to back up 5 feet and you'll be there all night. Most of them don't seem to know their vehicle has a reverse gear. So I try to pull tight over to let them get past, and scrape my wrap around bull bar along the drystone wall skulking in the hedge. If a fleshy road user bounces off the front of a Defender, bull bar or no, they're probably not going to get up again. Ever. I don't have one for the butch looks. Being female, that would be silly, wouldn't it? I have one because I do a lot of single track lane driving and it's practical, and it was on the vehicle when I had him so I'm not taking it off because a few townies think they're 'intimidating'. There's lots of driving behaviour I find intimidating but apparently that doesn't count. I don't live in a town. I only drive the Defender in towns when I have to to get to where I'm going. Anyway, since the Defender's now out of production the 4x4 bashers should be very happy. I just have to keep mine running for the rest of my life because there won't be another.

Anyway, since the Defender's now out of production the 4x4 bashers should be very happy. I just have to keep mine running for the rest of my life because there won't be another.
I have nothing against Land Rovers. I passed my test in a long wheel base series 2 at Launceston back when the test centre was at the top of the hill. I think I'm a bit long in the tooth for another Landy but I could be persuaded by a really nice mark 1 Range Rover. Now we live in poncey East Devon there's probably not much need for a 4WD and I go nearly everywhere by bus in any case.

I think this is scheduled to happen early next year.

Bit of a dilemma. I like W7 but I don't feel very comfortable with using a completely unsupported OS. Not sure about W10, but the only real alternative is a Mac. Not very enthusiastic about that.

There are others - Lunix and Chromebook, comes to mind.

As it was on when I had the vehicle, it's legal. TBH I can't see what the problem is with them on the right vehicle.
TBH in those circumstances and environment I don't see a problem either.

If a fleshy road user bounces off the front of a Defender, bull bar or no, they're probably not going to get up again. Ever.
Exactly!

You're never too old. As my mate from the garage told me 'just put some side steps on it'. Or in my case the bars with the chequer plate on top - they're a lot cooler :cool:
I've "done" my LR 90 days, highly unlikely I'll get another, as I don't think they do a "Stannah" for Land rovers do they? :D

WAMT?
Silly person at my local "Express" I don't often ask for a receipt for my shopping, but there are 2 on the checkouts that I will always get a receipt from,
as they are unreliable shall we say.

On checking there were 4 cucumbers on the receipt, one had been "removed" but 3 remained ..
I never bought a friggin Cucumber!

It seems that some of the items have bar codes behind the till as they aren't attached to the goods.
Somehow she managed to scan 4 WTF?
Its not my fault she said, neither is it yours. Mine? MINE? I'm not the one with the scanner!
And she only used the hand scanner once, the rest were "swiped"
FFS!

WAMT?
Silly person at my local "Express" I don't often ask for a receipt for my shopping, but there are 2 on the checkouts that I will always get a receipt from,
as they are unreliable shall we say.

On checking there were 4 cucumbers on the receipt, one had been "removed" but 3 remained ..
I never bought a friggin Cucumber!

It seems that some of the items have bar codes behind the till as they aren't attached to the goods.
Somehow she managed to scan 4 WTF?
Its not my fault she said, neither is it yours. Mine? MINE? I'm not the one with the scanner!
And she only used the hand scanner once, the rest were "swiped"
FFS!

Frankly, if I experienced such repeated "mistakes" I would be making a note of the servers name and contacting the "Express" companys HQ fraud department. Why, because it sounds like some sort of 'till reconciliation" fraud going on :( PS as I mentioned, I would go straight to the HQ because the fraud could include the store management???

Frankly, if I experienced such repeated "mistakes" I would be making a note of the servers name and contacting the "Express" companys HQ fraud department. Why, because it sounds like some sort of 'till reconciliation" fraud going on :( PS as I mentioned, I would go straight to the HQ because the fraud could include the store management???
That's actually a good point Laurence!
But I think, well hope anyway, that the 2 ladies concerned are a sandwich short of a picnic ;)
The rest of the "servers" are fine and I've never had an issue with any of them.

That's actually a good point Laurence!
But I think, well hope anyway, that the 2 ladies concerned are a sandwich short of a picnic ;)
The rest of the "servers" are fine and I've never had an issue with any of them.

Just thinking out loud :)

You can never judge a book by it's cover ;)

If it is not them closing and auditing the till and as you refer to those 2 ladies being 'vulnerable' then that rings alarm bells to me i.e. they are acting under instructions of those they are managed by? :(

If the latter is the case not only is fraud happening but also exploitation and/or an appalling lack of "safeguarding".

The situation may be entirely 'innocent' as far as those two ladies actions/culpability goes but as I first said IMO it can do no harm in absolute terms to raise concerns with HQ fraud department........and might actually do some good!

Motorcycle insurance company wanting £65, yes £65 for a vehicle change and accident notification (car, last year, not at fault) admin fee. :oops: :$

The increase in policy I can live with, it's a faster bike (not that I intend to find out) but £65 for 2 policy changes?

Motorcycle insurance company wanting £65, yes £65 for a vehicle change and accident notification (car, last year, not at fault) admin fee. :oops: :$

The increase in policy I can live with, it's a faster bike (not that I intend to find out) but £65 for 2 policy changes?

FWIW
My car renewal is due. I noticed that the excess is higher by £100. @ £350 with £250 being voluntary the £250 excess was what I accepted last year. I rang to query it and was told that they have added the £100 mandatory excess to all policies.

I am thinking of asking what the premium will be if I reduce the excess to max £250 ???

We have a couple of Costa Coffees in our town both franchises are owned by the same bloke. (Apparently he has quite a few Costa Coffee franchises possibly 15 in total in neighbouring towns and also London City airport) Rumour is he is a nasty bloke to work for although I don't think he has tried anything on with his customers. But just last week a couple of blokes walked into one of the local franchises and by distracting the staff managed to steal some money from the till. This never came to light until they cashed up and £240 missing from the till. The dodgy git didn't want the police called and told the young lady working there, that she would have to repay the money out of her wages. You can imagine she was quite distraught. It isn't the first time he has done this in one of the two local franchises, something similar may have happened in some of his others as well. To not want the police involved sounds very dodgy and I am wondering if he may have put the two blokes up to it. With no reporting it to the police and demanding the staff repay the money instead of claiming on his insurance so there won't be any record of robberies just sounds way too convenient. Fortunately in this case the young lady's parents contacted Costa Coffee and the local press who ran a story on it. Costa Coffee have agreed it isn't down to the lady to payback the money, but declined to comment on the franchise owner.
Local people have said they will boycott all his local cafés

We have a couple of Costa Coffees in our town both franchises are owned by the same bloke. (Apparently he has quite a few Costa Coffee franchises possibly 15 in total in neighbouring towns and also London City airport) Rumour is he is a nasty bloke to work for although I don't think he has tried anything on with his customers. But just last week a couple of blokes walked into one of the local franchises and by distracting the staff managed to steal some money from the till. This never came to light until they cashed up and £240 missing from the till. The dodgy git didn't want the police called and told the young lady working there, that she would have to repay the money out of her wages. You can imagine she was quite distraught. It isn't the first time he has done this in one of the two local franchises, something similar may have happened in some of his others as well. To not want the police involved sounds very dodgy and I am wondering if he may have put the two blokes up to it. With no reporting it to the police and demanding the staff repay the money instead of claiming on his insurance so there won't be any record of robberies just sounds way too convenient. Fortunately in this case the young lady's parents contacted Costa Coffee and the local press who ran a story on it. Costa Coffee have agreed it isn't down to the lady to payback the money, but declined to comment on the franchise owner.
Local people have said they will boycott all his local cafés

FWIW not all the "local" stores of the big chains are owned by them........one of ours (the orange one starting with S is "branded" independent. Not sure they could be called a franchise.

On a side note re tills balancing ~ in my mid to late teens I had a Saturday & holiday job in a large deaprtment store. I was taught how to use the till and how to handle the money.

Came the day the floor walker told the section supervisor to allow me to be the cashier the older lady supervisor told me (out of earshot of the floor walker) in a very serious and harsh manner that if there was any error in the tally at the end of the day it would be my fault!!!!!!! Bearing in mind that approx 8 people could have used the till during a full day I was worried :(

The fact that oversees scammers can use UK based landline numbers.
I've had a number of these calls recently all showing as UK landline numbers, the latest one purports to be from HMRC and basically I'm about to be arrested for tax fraud if I don't pay the penalty charge. It's not a very sophisticated scam, but how do these people get the use of what seems to be a UK landline number.

...how do these people get the use of what seems to be a UK landline number.
From what I've heard, they use a VOIP gateway, and send a fake presentation number. There's no way to confirm it, so the system just passes it on to the landline system.

The fact that oversees scammers can use UK based landline numbers.
I've had a number of these calls recently all showing as UK landline numbers, the latest one purports to be from HMRC and basically I'm about to be arrested for tax fraud if I don't pay the penalty charge. It's not a very sophisticated scam, but how do these people get the use of what seems to be a UK landline number.
From what I've heard, they use a VOIP gateway, and send a fake presentation number. There's no way to confirm it, so the system just passes it on to the landline system.

This is why I like CLI and if we don't recognise a number..........to answer phone and most such callers drop the connection once the answer phone kicks in. If we are in and can be bothered we add the number to the BT junk call filter.

If they are genuine but shy then they will either have our mobiles numbers and /postal address!

This is why I like CLI and if we don't recognise a number..........to answer phone and most such callers drop the connection once the answer phone kicks in. If we are in and can be bothered we add the number to the BT junk call filter.

If they are genuine but shy then they will either have our mobiles numbers and /postal address!

We do a similar thing with our answer phone. We usually let the answer phone take all calls. Family and friends know we have an answer machine and leave a message. Almost all dodgy calls end when the answer phone cuts in. Most bona fide companies also leave a message but sometimes we do miss a call from someone, as you say, is shy.

Dave

More like infuriated.

Woke up to find some local scumbags have come onto my drive to scratch my car on pretty much every panel on my car, including putting initials on the bonnet and our postcode (deffo a gang thing) on the side of the car. Taken my aerial, glass out of one of the wingmirrors, a large plastic bit of trim has been prized off with a screwdriver and my rear wiper.. Oh and let one of my tires down!

Nothing can be done about it unless I source my own CCTV footage or eye witness.

Stupid little s***s! Can't wait to move off the estate!

Back