WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Just getting a mental picture of 'Karen' now... Botoxed lips that make her look like a duck, an orange sunbed tan, and drawn on eyebrows half way up her forehead that make her look like Charlie Cairoli? No, you can't go wrong following a popular trend can you?
Oh so you know her then?

:D

Can’t people just be happy their family is still there for Christmas?
Christmas is often when people take the time to visit family or friends. It’s ingrained into British culture. There wasn’t much fuss over Easter but there will be a backlash over Christmas if lockdown and social isolation or shielding continued.

Christmas is often when people take the time to visit family or friends. It’s ingrained into British culture. There wasn’t much fuss over Easter but there will be a backlash over Christmas if lockdown and social isolation or shielding continued.
Why not postpone Christmas until next Ēostre? Much better time of year for travelling etc and maybe the lockdowns/vaccines/warmer weather wil have eased the problem by then.

Last edited:

Unfortunately covid doesn’t care what time of year it infects or kills people.

people complaining about waving to their mum through glass are lucky, wish I could wave to my mum at all.

My wifehas cancer and has had to miss treatments and appointments for a year. We actually went to the hospital today to hopefully start treatments again. I couldn’t even sit with her, I had to sit in the corridor watching hospital staff walk past me chit chatting with masks on their chins.

Still, Mercedes and Porsche will be able to sit in aunty Tracy’s house for Christmas.

Why not postpone Christmas until next Ēostre? Much better time of year for travelling etc and maybe the lockdowns/vaccines/warmer weather wil have eased the problem by then.

Now you are just being sensible and the term 'sensible' doesn't equate with some people who cannot see past the end of their noses what the risk may be.

Ordered a new monitor from Laptops Direct a couple of weeks ago. Shown as in stock.
Delivery first advised as 2 days later. Then moved back. Then moved back again. Moved back again this morning so I cancelled.
To be fair they refunded straight away.

Sky HD box froze again today !!
It's been doing it about once a month for that last few months, normally when
I'm watching something recorded. so I think it's a hard drive problem

Did the normal unplug bit, didn't work so onto next step of doing the update bit.
Nothing again, but I could feel it vibrating, so unplugged, got the aerial out the back
and plug it direct into the TV and left it propped on the floor.
I know from a previous time Sky aren't interested and want to sell you SkyQ, which I don't
want or need.

Found a company that does them with a 12 month guarantee for a reasonbale price, spoke to
them and have a new one coming next week and it's WiFi which this one isn't (y)
Put the old one back together and ..................................... it's now working :banghead::banghead:

No matter, I'll keep it as a spare when the new one arrives

Did the normal unplug bit, didn't work so onto next step of doing the update bit.
Nothing again, but I could feel it vibrating, so unplugged, got the aerial out the back
I know from a previous time Sky aren't interested and want to sell you SkyQ, which I don't
want or need.

Found a company that does them with a 12 month guarantee for a reasonbale price, spoke to
Put the old one back together and ..................................... it's now working :banghead::banghead:

This happened to us too earlier in the year. The box limped along for a couple of months with spells where it would be ok then it would refuse to boot up or froze during playback. I was prepared to give up on Sky as our TV has a Freesat receiver built in & I didn't fancy paying Sky £200 for the privilege of 'lending' us a Sky Q box so I told them I wanted to cancel. We had been paying almost £70 a month including Sky Sports (which we hardly watched), after being passed on to their retention department we ended up with a free Sky Q upgrade including new dish and a reduction in payment to £20 a month (without Sports) as we were a long time 'VIP' customer ;)

Ordered a new monitor from Laptops Direct a couple of weeks ago. Shown as in stock.
Delivery first advised as 2 days later. Then moved back. Then moved back again. Moved back again this morning so I cancelled.
I have had a problem in the past with another part of their empire. I wanted to return a product under the distance selling regulations but they failed to grasp the finer points of the law when it came to timescales for return. I eventually resolved it & vowed to never go anywhere near them again.

Last edited:

want or need.

You should have phoned Sky 'retentions department' to cancel you subscription, explaining the problem and saying you felt very badly treated after being a good customer of theirs all these years. They'd probably offer you a replacement box on condition that you signed up for 12 or 18 months with them. Refuse and say Virgin have offered you a cheaper deal. Take it to the wire and they'll most likely phone you with all sorts of better deal offers to stay with them. plus a new box.

I did similar a few years ago, only I really did cancel my Sky subscription as they'd cheesed me off so much refusing to upgrade my 10 year old Sky box. After that they kept ringing me up and offering me all sorts of deals to keep me before my month's leaving notice ran out. Told them no - too late! Two weeks after leaving they phoned again to offer me an even better deal to come back - told them I'd taken my sky box to the recycle centre and wanted nothing to do with them - I had to tell them not to contact me again as they were becoming a nuisance! For the amount I actually watched on Sky, I didn't miss it and I've saved myself a considerable amount of money each year! Freeview suits me just fine. If I miss a programme then I usually find it on a +1 hour channel or use iPlayer, etc. :)

Last edited:
You should have phoned Sky 'retentions department' to cancel you subscription, explaining the problem and saying you felt very badly treated after being a good customer of theirs all these years. They'd probably offer you a replacement box on condition that you signed up for 12 or 18 months with them. Refuse and say Virgin have offered you a cheaper deal. Take it to the wire and they'll most likely phone you with all sorts of better deal offers to stay with them. plus a new box.

I did that earlier in the year when it happened, was told they no longer offer support for Sky HD and offered me a free SkyQ set up, which I don't want or need, only have the basic package, no movies, sports, kids etc.
My main dislike of the sky Q is that you don't own the equipment so if you cancel they take it all back, whereas now I could still get freesat TV if I cancelled.
Bit miffed that I'll lose stuff recorded on the hard drive, but it'll probably be repeated or on catchup sometime soon

I did that earlier in the year when it happened, was told they no longer offer support for Sky HD and offered me a free SkyQ set up, which I don't want or need, only have the basic package, no movies, sports, kids etc.
My main dislike of the sky Q is that you don't own the equipment so if you cancel they take it all back, whereas now I could still get freesat TV if I cancelled.
Bit miffed that I'll lose stuff recorded on the hard drive, but it'll probably be repeated or on catchup sometime soon
I also dislike the fact that Sky only lend you the Sky Q box, however if it stops working it's up to them to fix it.... excluding the dish.

Pathetic. Radio 1 will not play the original version of Fairytale of New York. The words slut and faggot are it seems too much for the average R1 listener!!!

Pathetic. Radio 1 will not play the original version of Fairytale of New York. The words slut and faggot are it seems too much for the average R1 listener!!!
With the rubbish they play on Radio 1, I doubt anyone will notice anyway.

I heard that too, R2 will play the original ( a much more discerning listener on R2 (y) )
I think it was six music that will be allowed to choose.

Along the lines
Chris Evans, virgin radio breakfast show, decided that today was a good day to start playing Christmas songs,
just because he was asked to turn on the Christmas lights in Marlow, early this morning.
:(

We walked to B&Q today because I wanted a white 4 way mains extension block but all they had in white were ones with cables and plugs and I already have those. They did have orange 2 way ones but they'll look a bit silly in the front room. I thought I'd just order from Amazon or evil bay but again just an avalanche of ones with cables and plugs and one without which is black. Googling found me some at component suppliers.

I suppose most places only sell the ones with cables and plugs for health and safety reasons but they do sell the orange ones.

How annoying. I'll buy from the component supplier.

Dunno what their listeners would of made of my wedding then, it was our first dance....

Amazon and the bay are places to avoid buying mains electrical components from; they're absolutely swamped with dangerous fakes. Burning 2.gif

We walked to B&Q today because I wanted a white 4 way mains extension block but all they had in white were ones with cables and plugs and I already have those. They did have orange 2 way ones but they'll look a bit silly in the front room. I thought I'd just order from Amazon or evil bay but again just an avalanche of ones with cables and plugs and one without which is black. Googling found me some at component suppliers.

I suppose most places only sell the ones with cables and plugs for health and safety reasons but they do sell the orange ones.

How annoying. I'll buy from the component supplier.

If there's one near you then Screwfix should have what you are looking for.

Well yesterday they said delivery of mine would now be 7th December.
Toniget their website says I can have delivery on Saturday.
Yeah right.

Amazon and the bay are places to avoid buying mains electrical components from; they're absolutely swamped with dangerous fakes. View attachment 299368
I don’t know if Amazon UK are affected but I read that in Amazon US, they have “commingled inventory”. An item sold by a third party seller will be stored together with the same item from the manufacturer. Because the product code is the same, an OEM and non-OEM item will be treated as identical. This allows for fake items to be stored with genuine items. So even if the listing says “Dispatched from and sold by Amazon”, it could still a fake from a third party seller.

Women who can't tell the time and have no concept of time.

Knowing what she's like I asked Mrs WW over and over again what time she had to be at school today and the answer was always 11:45-12:45. This morning she disappeared and appeared all ready to go and with her coat on at 10:30. As school is only 15 minutes drive away I asked again what time see needed to be there, 10:45 she says. She then checks her emails and changes her mind to 11:15-13:15. ok. We set off and as we pulled into the car park I asked her what time she'll be finishing, 12:45 she says. At 12:30 as I drove down the road towards school pick her up she was walking down the road to meet me.

She has a degree and appears to be otherwise intelligent but time... It's an alien concept to her. Before relocating and leaving the rat race she had a responsible job and was a manager responsible for over 200 people. Remembering this I started to wonder how she ever managed and how she was ever anywhere she was supposed to be at the time she was supposed to be and then I remembered she had a driver. I think she just relied on him.

Oh, and someone asked her today how long she'd lived in the UK. "Half past three" she said.

PS.
The school time debacle was apparently my fault as I confused her.

Last edited:
Get instructions and timings in writing so if when she gets it wrong again, it's demonstrably not your fault!

Get instructions and timings in writing so if when she gets it wrong again, it's demonstrably not your fault!
You’re just trying to get him into trouble :).

It does cause me stress as I don't like to be rushed when driving anywhere plus she's almost made us miss trains and taxis before today. She just seems to have no concept of time which is odd as she is intelligent but just seems to have a hole where understanding time should be.

Maybe - but it'll be Mrs woof woof's fault when it happens!

Maybe - but it'll be Mrs woof woof's fault when it happens!

I remember a scene in Lost when Sawyer is teaching Jin English and he teaches him something along these lines...

"Yes dear. I'm sorry. You were right. I was wrong."

I live by that mantra.

Amazon... Item in stock... In the UK... Ordered... Despatched... ETA 8th January... From where? China? Annoying? Yes.

There's usually an expected delivery date in the "price" box - if it's beyond the date I need it by, I look elsewhere. On the very rare occasions where the delivery date has slipped backwards, order cancelled as per Heather's post.

WAMT is a neighbour cutting down their Laburnum tree. Doesn't really affect us beyond it being a pretty tree, especially when it's in full flower but assorted birds use it as a staging post/waiting room for our feeders.

It annoys me just about everyday, but one of my neighbours is going to be really annoyed when she finds out.
Parking spaces are rare in our road. But there are two inconsiderate women who never leave sufficient room for other cars to be parked and will park in the middle of two spaces.
When I got home Thursday night there was no room and had to park further down the road. Yesterday as I had the day off and as I don't use my car at weekends, I moved my car into a vacant space in front of my wifes car, so I can keep an eye on it. I noticed that the car parked behind my wifes car was quite close and one of the two inconsiderate women had parked quite close to that, boxing it in. So I grabbed my wifes keys and rolled her car closer to mine so the car behind then had room to manoeuvre and get out if they needed, which indeed they did later on. Later still the same inconsiderate woman must have gone out, on her return, she had become considerate and actually parked further along and there was now room for two cars between hers and my wife's car. This morning I find inconsiderate woman number 2 has parked right in the middle of both spaces. If she had left room for another car, another neighbour wouldn't have had to park her car in a side turning. Unfortunately for her the side turning is narrow so she parked with two wheels on the pavement and has now got herself a parking ticket, which I doubt she has seen yet.

It annoys me just about everyday, but one of my neighbours is going to be really annoyed when she finds out.
Parking spaces are rare in our road. But there are two inconsiderate women who never leave sufficient room for other cars to be parked and will park in the middle of two spaces.
When I got home Thursday night there was no room and had to park further down the road. Yesterday as I had the day off and as I don't use my car at weekends, I moved my car into a vacant space in front of my wifes car, so I can keep an eye on it. I noticed that the car parked behind my wifes car was quite close and one of the two inconsiderate women had parked quite close to that, boxing it in. So I grabbed my wifes keys and rolled her car closer to mine so the car behind then had room to manoeuvre and get out if they needed, which indeed they did later on. Later still the same inconsiderate woman must have gone out, on her return, she had become considerate and actually parked further along and there was now room for two cars between hers and my wife's car. This morning I find inconsiderate woman number 2 has parked right in the middle of both spaces. If she had left room for another car, another neighbour wouldn't have had to park her car in a side turning. Unfortunately for her the side turning is narrow so she parked with two wheels on the pavement and has now got herself a parking ticket, which I doubt she has seen yet.

It always annoyed me that we couldn't park our one car anywhere nearby because households with multiple vehicles had taken up the spaces.

It always annoyed me that we couldn't park our one car anywhere nearby because households with multiple vehicles had taken up the spaces.
I don't mind if people have multiple cars, it is just first come, first served, but when people park inconsiderately and leave stupid unnecessary gaps, it reall p's me off. Especially if both these women do it on the same day, get another doing it and there is 3 cars that can't park out there then. The woman who lives across the road, she doesn't have a car, but she has a friend who does and visits her or takes her out once or twice a week. Just about everytime, she parks in the middle of two spaces. There is a common denominator to all this, all 3 women drive red cars.

We live in the city centre and parking is a nightmare - we get commuters by day as well as locals. There is one woman who always parked in the middle of two car spaces. She got regularly told by us and various neighbours and has found somewhere else to park. Sorted for us but not for wherever she now parks.

WAMT is a neighbour cutting down their Laburnum tree. Doesn't really affect us beyond it being a pretty tree, especially when it's in full flower but assorted birds use it as a staging post/waiting room for our feeders.
Perhaps they have kids and have realised all parts of the tree are toxic? The potential danger to kids seems to come mainly from the seeds, which hang in pods and look like small pea pods. Kids sometimes mistake these for peas and eat them while playing 'picnics', etc. I was shown what a laburnum tree was when I was a young child and had the danger explained to me, so I knew never to pick or eat them.

Back