WAMT....what annoyed me today!

B..... Fireworks
In the front garden of the corner house across the road for me - they have a very large back garden they could have used

Noisy flashy things
Yes, there are few going off here.

Fireworks here too
Dog going ballistic

Not today but earlier this week we went into town to do some pre lockdown shopping, mostly to get Mrss WW a waterproof coat as all she had was a hand me down. Anyway...

Although many were using the hand sanitisers, social distancing and behaving normally some were not both in the streets and in the shops. The worst example being two young men behind me in a queue who were so close the were brushing up against me now and again and each time the queue moved forward and I stepped forward they maintained their next to no distance positioning. Being an overly polite type inside I was boiling and on the verge of asking them to social distance but luckily I got to the front and was free of them.

I just have no faith in significant numbers of the public now. You'd have to be from another planet, mentally challenged or just suffering from an extremely numb head not to have accepted that maintaining a social distance and behaving responsibly might be a rather good idea but some still just will not.

Ffs
It's 1740 and fireworks started again¡!!!!!!!!

Here too, more tomorrowI expect :(.

Ffs
It's 1740 and fireworks started again¡!!!!!!!!
Time to ban them I think. I can’t see what the fun is :(. When I was a kid I really like them, but most of us were only interest in bangers which got set off everywhere, dustbins etc. This was after WW2 so I suppose we were ’immune’ to bangs, certainly we used to find things that went ‘bang’ throughout the year, such as putting ‘wet’ fulminate on the school radiators so it would explode once dry & hot, but of course we all acted responsible :).

No fireworks here so far today :D

While out today I was annoyed by two couples, one each side of the path and talking across to each other. No masks obviously. I had to walk between them. They could clearly see me coming so why the flying not get out of the way or at least stop talking while I pass?

There was no way I could avoid them as the path (maybe 6ft wide) is between a steep bank on one side and a barrier and then a steep drop off on the other.

And people blame the government for c19. Idiots, by the thousand.

I'll make a mental note to be more assertive and speak out as I'm just sick of this.

Just start coughing and spluttering.....if you speak out you're likely to get a mouthfuls of abuse....

I have a pretty quick mind and I'm fluent in anglo saxon so few can trade expletives with me. It's not something I should really be proud of :D

That reminds me... I called at ASDA to pick up some medication on the way home. There was an older guy in front of me and after collecting his he turned and had a full on to the max coughing fit with of course no mask and no attempt to cover his open mouth or turn away.

Of course c19 is all the fault of Boris and the evil toareys.

I have a pretty quick mind and I'm fluent in anglo saxon so few can trade expletives with me. It's not something I should really be proud of :D

That reminds me... I called at ASDA to pick up some medication on the way home. There was an older guy in front of me and after collecting his he turned and had a full on to the max coughing fit with of course no mask and no attempt to cover his open mouth or turn away.

Of course c19 is all the fault of Boris and the evil toareys.

You wouldn't get that from a Waitrose, M&S, Fortnum & Mason or even a Sainsburys customer..:D

Toffees seem to have just about* disappeared.

When's the last time anyone saw a bag of toffees? We've looked all over, all the local pound and discount shops, Boyes, Home Bargains, ASDA, Tesco, the cheapo German ones.... not a single bag of toffees in sight *and then my sister rang and said she got two bags from Morrisons.

When's the last time anyone saw a bag of toffees? We've looked all over, all the local pound and discount shops, Boyes, Home Bargains, ASDA, Tesco, the cheapo German ones.... not a single bag of toffees in sight *and then my sister rang and said she got two bags from Morrisons.
Have a go at making them at home?

eg https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chewy-toffees

The better half never seems to have a problem finding them most supermarkets stock her favourites in a number of varieties (Thornton's) there also seems to be a Thornton's shop just about everywhere we go and they always seem to be on offer, or at least that's what I'm told.

The better half never seems to have a problem finding them most supermarkets stock her favourites in a number of varieties (Thornton's) there also seems to be a Thornton's shop just about everywhere we go and they always seem to be on offer, or at least that's what I'm told.

Until recently we'd never had a problem finding them, never gave that a second thought, but apart from Morrisons which only seem to have own brand dairy toffees no one else has them.

We usually get bags of assorted toffees but they all seem to be missing. We've just got back from my sisters with two bags of Morrisons own Dairy Toffees, all the same obviously, so we're still looking forward to finding some bags of assorted ones. There's a Thorntons in town, we never thought of looking there but they don't seem to have bags of.

I assume this is c19 shortages related, maybe they mostly come from the same factory somewhere but if that's the case surely the supermarkets could source more from somewhere? I just don't know but the fact is that assorted toffees have disappeared from our local shops and any toffees of any sort are hard to find here, Redcar/Middlesbrough area.

WAMT, Big Time.

That woke White Privilege piece on Bernardos. If you haven't seen it I'm sure you can google your way to it.

Going back a few generations my family were farm workers. My dad worked in the steel works and then the chemical works, after of course fighting in WW2, my mother worked in the back office of a furniture shop. They had a home but very little else, their wedding present was a bedside lamp for Gosh sake. No one has ever handed my family or me anything. Anything I've achieved in life has been off my own bat. No one ever helped me find a job, no one has ever given me anything I haven't worked damn hard for. Not that it should matter but I'm colour blind in that I've always had friends and even lovers from all over the world and yet I'm this privilege racist even if I don't realise it. So where is this white privilege? I'm sick of being a part of about the only group it's acceptable to have a pop at, I'm white, working class and I'm northern and tired of being labelled and sneered at by the sort of people who write and publish this divisive woke nonsense. And I see the boss of the charity is on a nice little earner too. I wonder who's more privileged, him or me?

Rant over.

Last edited:
WAMT, Big Time.

That woke White Privilege piece on Bernardos. If you haven't seen it I'm sure you can google your way to it.

Going back a few generations my family were farm workers. My dad worked in the steel works and then the chemical works, after of course fighting in WW2, my mother worked in the back office of a furniture shop. They had a home but very little else, their wedding present was a bedside lamp for Gosh sake. No one has ever handed my family or me anything. Anything I've achieved in life has been off my own bat. No one ever helped me find a job, no one has ever given me anything I haven't worked damn hard for. Not that it should matter but I'm colour blind in that I've always had friends and even lovers from all over the world and yet I'm this privilege racist even if I don't realise it. So where is this white privilege? I'm sick of being a part of about the only group it's acceptable to have a pop at, I'm white, working class and I'm northern and tired of being labelled and sneered at by the sort of people who write and publish this divisive woke nonsense. And I see the boss of the charity is on a nice little earner too. I wonder who's more privileged, him or me?

Rant over.

You've completely misinterpreted it. It's not aimed at you, it's not about you or anyone like you.

It's interesting, and rather ironic, that you've used the word "woke" whilst choosing to take offence.

And I see the boss of the charity is on a nice little earner too.
Now you've got me started! The idea that anyone working in a genuine charity, should be paid more than a basic living wage seems to me morally questionable. Then again, when I first discovered that Eton is a registered charity I realised that the word is sadly compromised in this country. :(

WAMT, Big Time.

Rant over.
Interesting response

Thread by @IanRH64: @barnardos As a former Barnardo’s Boy, I find your stance as disappointing as it is nonsensical. Where was my white privilege when I was left in Hull Maternity Hospital at 2 days old? Where...…

You've completely misinterpreted it. It's not aimed at you, it's not about you or anyone like you.

It's interesting, and rather ironic, that you've used the word "woke" whilst choosing to take offence.

Go on, I'll bite. If it's not aimed at me or anyone like me then who?

I take offence not at being aware of issues and potential issues but when these concerns are taken too far as they arguably sometimes are by virtue signaling woke peddlers of identity politics and division.

Last edited:
Now you've got me started! The idea that anyone working in a genuine charity, should be paid more than a basic living wage seems to me morally questionable. Then again, when I first discovered that Eton is a registered charity I realised that the word is sadly compromised in this country. :(

I agree.

Years ago a friend of mine with a very serious condition raised a whole shed load of money for a charity concerned with her condition and they used it to build a new HQ. She was apoplectic and vowed never to give them another penny.

I think once they meet some critical mass or level of turnover they attract the wrong people who often then milk it for all they can get. Many years ago it came as a shock to me when someone I worked with expounded the virtues of working for a charity. Initially I was impressed until he explained the salary, expenses and benefits.

I'm sure that they need to attract good people but surely good people who will do it for less exist amongst the great and the good. Actually when I stopped working over 10 years ago I did intend to volunteer for something and had I done so I wouldn't have taken a penny. It just so happens that my life went in a different direction and I'm now looking after someone almost 24/7 and still in over 10 years with no full time paid work I haven't taken a penny from either the government or any good cause.

I take offence not at being aware of issues and potential issue but when these concerns are taken too far as they arguably sometimes are by virtue signaling woke peddlers of identity politics and division.
I haven’t read the whole Barnardos piece (and I have no idea about “woke”) but I do see why you would be offended. They write
For the one in five Barnardo’s service users who are Black, Asian or minority ethnic, the colour of their skin is an additional factor that negatively affects them and their families in a multitude of well documented ways.
I think that’s incontrovertible but to then say that the 80% is benefitting from “privilege” (white or otherwise) is a complete misuse of English and certainly offensive!

Among the 80% there will no doubt be some/many who have additional disadvantages (disabilities for example) that would make them less “privileged” in Barbados terms, and ditto among the 20% BAME :(. Just not helpful language.

I take offence not at being aware of issues and potential issue but when these concerns are taken too far as they arguably sometimes are by virtue signaling woke peddlers of identity politics and division.

Are you one of the people in those photos? No. It's aimed at anti-maskers and anti-lockdowners. Absolutely nothing to do with people who've worked hard all their lives and had nothing handed vto them.

Are you one of the people in those photos? No. It's aimed at anti-maskers and anti-lockdowners. Absolutely nothing to do with people who've worked hard all their lives and had nothing handed vto them.

You can't have read it or you've read the wrong one. I'm talking about the white privilege piece.

I haven’t read the whole Barnardos piece (and I have no idea about “woke”) but I do see why you would be offended. They write
For the one in five Barnardo’s service users who are Black, Asian or minority ethnic, the colour of their skin is an additional factor that negatively affects them and their families in a multitude of well documented ways.
I think that’s incontrovertible but to then say that the 80% is benefitting from “privilege” (white or otherwise) is a complete misuse of English and certainly offensive!

Among the 80% there will no doubt be some/many who have additional disadvantages (disabilities for example) that would make them less “privileged” in Barbados terms, and ditto among the 20% BAME :(. Just not helpful language.

I'm not so much offended as such. I am annoyed that this charity is arguably expressing racist views and using stereotypes. I think that if they expressed these views about any other section of society they'd be pilloried.

Google South Bank, Middlesbrough, and Redcar and Cleveland area and I doubt you'll find much white privilege.

Well maybe you should've posted a link instead of telling people to google it.

This was what I found when I googled using the opening words of your post and yes, it mentions white privilege.

View: https://m.facebook.com/justiceforbernardo/posts/124059196029263

I didn't post a link as I found it too contentious and thought it best to leave googling to those who wanted to follow me up. It's easy to find, it's on their site, in their blog and if you go there you can't miss it.

Anyway. Having complained I'll now carry on my life with my friends and wife who happen to look a bit different to me and hopefully they'll never see me as the unknowingly privileged oppressor others see.

It’s not at all, although I agree with your last sentence. I dont think there was any need for Barnardos to raise it though, just wanting to appear topical (and woke!;))

It’s not at all, although I agree with your last sentence. I dont think there was any need for Barnardos to raise it though, just wanting to appear topical (and woke!;))

The trouble with virtue signaling and wokism is that there's always someone better at it than you.

Reading the comments it looks like this will have cost them some donations but as most people probably don't read their blog or even visit their site I expect any loss to be a drop in the ocean and of course some will probably donate after reading that piece and agreeing with it. Such is life.

Absolutely nothing to do with people who've worked hard all their lives and had nothing handed vto them.
Children in the care system need more help than there's ever the resources to provide it. I know: been there, still got the scars. An article like that may be well intentioned but the Barnardos site is probably not the most sensible place to put it and could detract from the charity's income and support.

The trouble with virtue signaling and wokism is that there's always someone better at it than you.

Reading the comments it looks like this will have cost them some donations but as most people probably don't read their blog or even visit their site I expect any loss to be a drop in the ocean and of course some will probably donate after reading that piece and agreeing with it. Such is life.
Sorry that wasn’t a dig at you- I tend to agree with your sentiment and charities like this should concentrate on their core business. This is the piece I thought was being referred to-

Sorry that wasn’t a dig at you- I tend to agree with your sentiment and charities like this should concentrate on their core business. This is the piece I thought was being referred to-

No dig felt by me at all :D and none meant to you in my reply. I was just making a point about VS and Wokism. I think it's perhaps snowballing.

Years ago I used to write policy statements on equal opportunities and the like for companies and as above, friends and lovers etc and I'm married to a Thai lady so I don't think I'm racist or privileged in the sense that Barnardos use that word. I could of course still be privileged and racist and not realise it and my whole life to date could be self deluding, but I do hope not.

I’d be interested to know how they’ve discovered the “race” of all the people in those photos :(.

When looking at racism I wonder where the line is drawn. If we imagine a line of people from the whitest of white through light brown and then through whatever shades of skin and type of hair or other feature exist where's the cut off between people we discriminate against and people we don't? I was born blonde and blue eyed with very pale skin and freckles so I suppose I'm near one far end. Mrs WW would be further along from me but in the past I've had friends and lovers who must surely have been near the far end from me. One lady I was besotted with at the time had the blackest hair imaginable and IMO skin which seemed to be a lovely shade of almost purple and she was (and hopefully still is) lovely and with a Yorkshire accent to do die for :D I've no idea where her ancestors came from as it never came up.

Anyway. Hopefully at some point this IMO needless and again IMO extreme identity silliness and blaming will end. And I apologise for any offence this has caused. None was meant.

Last edited:
When looking at racism I wonder where the line is drawn. If we imagine a line of people from the whitest of white through light brown and then through whatever shades of skin and type of hair or other feature exist where's the cut off between people we discriminate against and people we don't? I was born blonde and blue eyed with very pale skin and freckles so I suppose I'm near one far end. Mrs WW would be further along from me but in the past I've had friends and lovers who must surely have been near the far end from me. One lady I was besotted with at the time had the blackest hair imaginable and IMO skin which seemed to be a lovely shade of almost purple and she was (and hopefully still is) lovely and with a Yorkshire accent to do die for :D I've no idea where her ancestors came from as it never came up.

Anyway. Hopefully at some point this IMO needless and again IMO extreme identity silliness and blaming will end. And I apologise for any offence this has caused. None was meant.
Actually “blackness has nothing to do with skin colour etc. (I posted this link earlier on TP somewhere — https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000n8x9 which gives one view on it.) Most currrent “black” commentators adopt the same definition as Hendrik Verwoerd in Apartheid South Africa, ie any “black” ancestor makes you black not “white. This despite the fact that statistically speaking all the Boers probably had “black” ancestors since there was a good deal of ‘mixing‘ in the early colonists :).

Many ‘white’ people adopt the same definition unconsciously which effectively means they are hoist with their own petard and their ‘race’ will or has disappeared :). ”Race” is a false construct anyway :(.

This despite the fact that statistically speaking all the Boers probably had “black” ancestors since there was a good deal of ‘mixing‘ in the early colonists :).
Go back far enough (possibly 40,000 years) and every single human is of negroid ancestry (unless someone has got human evolution very wrong). I have no idea what that does to the ego of the obsessionally racist. :naughty:

Reactions: Nod
Go back far enough (possibly 40,000 years) and every single human is of negroid ancestry (unless someone has got human evolution very wrong). I have no idea what that does to the ego of the obsessionally racist. :naughty:
No, I think the Australians are now thought to have arrived there by 40,000 years and in any case I think “negroid” is inaccurate. Not sure but I would say “negroid” essentially refers to the Bantu (and their particular physical characterics) originating from West Africa. Many other peoples in present day Africa don’t look particularly like that. However, if you say we (Homo sapient et al) all are Africans I would agree.

However, if you say we (Homo sapient et al) all are Africans I would agree.
"Take me back to the Rift Valley,
The Valley of Old Kenya
To the beautiful African country
That I love"

...as Doris Day didn't sing. :tumbleweed:
:naughty:

I used to work with someone who was racist he didn’t like me explaining that we all originally came from Africa :banana:

Back