WAMT....what annoyed me today!

I used to work with someone who was racist he didn’t like me explaining that we all originally came from Africa :banana:
I was thinking earlier about Apartheid South Africa where they had to decide if people were to be classed as black or white that back then they had to go on physical characteristics but nowadays they would probably use genetics. It would have been amusing (well not really :() if the the most useful marker of European origin was the presence of Neanderthal genes :).

Actually “blackness has nothing to do with skin colour etc. (I posted this link earlier on TP somewhere — https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000n8x9 which gives one view on it.) Most currrent “black” commentators adopt the same definition as Hendrik Verwoerd in Apartheid South Africa, ie any “black” ancestor makes you black not “white. This despite the fact that statistically speaking all the Boers probably had “black” ancestors since there was a good deal of ‘mixing‘ in the early colonists :).

Many ‘white’ people adopt the same definition unconsciously which effectively means they are hoist with their own petard and their ‘race’ will or has disappeared :). ”Race” is a false construct anyway :(.

Yup and that just shows the stupidity of it all, if I'm allowed to comment as a man who superficially looks as white as they come but somewhere down the line must have had a "black" ancestor unless I'm something science hasn't got a grip with yet.

Years ago I loved calypso music and of course you'd need to be mad not to love Bob Marley so I'm sure it's my ancestry coming out :D No offence meant :D

I met one genuinely racist kid at school. He was a new kid, an immigrant from South Africa and he had appalling views. The fact that he looked to be of mixed ethnic ancestry when stood next to me and that I could use the terms he used to describe others against him if I wanted to totally phased him. I gave up, as did others.

Anyway. I've got it out of my system now.

People queueing for Muckdonald's drive through. Out onto the main road through a trading estate. Had to bung a uey to find a different route to where I needed to go. Took the long route home to avoid the queue the far side of the junction. At least the total blockage both ways meant that the uey was safe!

People queueing for Muckdonald's drive through. Out onto the main road through a trading estate. Had to bung a uey to find a different route to where I needed to go. Took the long route home to avoid the queue the far side of the junction. At least the total blockage both ways meant that the uey was safe!

Yes this is a growing problem that is afflicting a couple of areas not far from where I live. One is at the back of a very large branch of Aldi and two days ago at 9am there was a follow my leader queue of cars snaking across the Aldi car park and blocking customers already in the carpark from leaving and stopping others from getting to the shop.

Another one in a large shopping complex immediately after a filling station has had to have the road divided in an attempt to stop people turning right in front of oncoming traffic into McDonalds. Has it stopped them? Not on your life, drivers have just removed the bollards, base and all. I cannot see the owners of the shopping centre putting up with this for very long. No takeaways, means they will have to close. At least the residents of the town will have to find a healthier diet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a McDonald’s breakfast yesterday, drove past the 15 minute estimated queue, parked up, walked into the empty branch ordered, collected and took back to the car to eat...left the car park just as the car that entered in front of me was placing their order (not sure why but they have stopped using the order loudspeaker in favour of a Womble with a tablet).

WAMT?
Quite frankly, it p***es me off.
Ebay sellers that claim to be in the UK but are ( once ordered) obviously in Asia :(
I ordered a small item yesterday, after a "UK only" search.
ETA Mon Tues next week. that's fair enough given the current climate.
Today I received an email from the seller
Thank you for your order.
If you have any questions after receiving the goods, please send us an email. We will reply to you as soon as possible and give you a satisfactory solution.
thank you very much!​
My reply, Well that's very dishonest of you claiming to be in the UK!
As long as my item arrives on time, then no problem, but if its not here in that time frame I'll make a compliant to ebay and start a PP dispute.

How compliant? :p

I've had that from Amazon a few times just lately too. :mad:

I just cancel the order as soon as I find out now as I've had a couple of items that just never turned up. At least Amazon always give you a refund. :)

I had a load of light bulbs ordered through Amazon market place. I knew they were from the far East but they were far cheaper than UK sourced ones (which used the same picture in the blurb) and I was in no hurry for them. A month or so after they were due, I contacted the seller who immediately refunded me in full. Sod's law, they arrived a couple of days later! Contacted the seller again to tell them and they said thanks for telling us they've arrived, please keep them with our compliments.

Reactions: Sky
Sorry, would have let it slide!!!

Petard and hoist spring to mind. ;)

WAMT?
Quite frankly, it p***es me off.
Ebay sellers that claim to be in the UK but are ( once ordered) obviously in Asia :(
I ordered a small item yesterday, after a "UK only" search.
ETA Mon Tues next week. that's fair enough given the current climate.
Today I received an email from the seller

My reply, Well that's very dishonest of you claiming to be in the UK!
As long as my item arrives on time, then no problem, but if its not here in that time frame I'll make a compliant to ebay and start a PP dispute.
On the other hand I’ve had very good service for small cheap items that I knew were being sold and sent from China :).

On the other hand I’ve had very good service for small cheap items that I knew were being sold and sent from China :).

I agree that some stuff can be very cheap, but this was about UK prices.
Had I known it was from China I would have just got it from a UK seller.
I like to have the choice, not to be duped into a purchase :(

I never bought much frozen fish in the past (though almost all the ‘fresh’ is ‘previously frozen’) but since COVID I’m amazed how much is Chinese. Eg this haddock from Sainsbury’s :

Produced in China

Caught in North-East Atlantic

Produced using Haddock caught in the North East Atlantic Ocean (Barents Sea, Norwegian Sea, Spitzbergen and Bear Island) using trawls or set longlines
(my bold)

Good luck with getting “British fish from British waters” post Brexit :) except maybe via China :).

Good luck with getting “British fish from British waters” post Brexit :)
Another thing that annoy's me, people catching our fish in our waters and selling it back to us.
Decimating our fishing fleet as they do so ...
But then this is not a political thread ;)

Another thing that annoy's me, people catching our fish in our waters and selling it back to us.
Decimating our fishing fleet as they do so ...
But then this is not a political thread ;)
Though I think that U.K. fishermen sold off their boats or quotas or something (not an expert on this) early on in our EU membership. A bit like so many Cornish fishermen sold their quaint cottages to incomers and now grouse that their kids can’t find housing locally :).

What annoyed me? The decree that new internal combustion engine will cease to be sold in 9 years time and hybrid vehicles 5 years later. I cannot argue that something has to change but from what I have read this has not been thought through fully.

New electrical cars are heck of a lot more expensive than petrol/diesel, just who is going to be able to afford them. I certainly couldn't
The charging time for the vehicles is getting better and so is the range, but where will everyone charge them? I am lucky, I have a driveway where I can install a charging point if I needed to, but what about those who live in houses with no gardens or driveway, or for that matter the thousands of people who live in blocks of flats where there is no parking nearby. Apart from anything else it is illegal to have a power supply trailing across a footpath. That is going to be a logistical nightmare.

What about those who have a caravan? I don't like them but....a large car used to pull a caravan these days say for 250 miles before the needle is showing that it needs filling up will be lucky to get even 100 miles between charges. Then there are large lorries. No mention has been made about them using anything else but diesel.

Then the Military, what about them. An electrically propelled Main Battle Tank, that would be a bad joke. An extreme example I know, but the thousands of vehicles that are operated by them, will they be included?

A total ban on dirty diesel engines and replaced by super efficient petrol engines would probably be a better way to go until they solve the problems that I have outlined. Fuel efficiency is being improved all the time. My previous car a 2008 hatchback had a 1300cc motor and I was lucky to get 48-50mpg on a slowish ride down to see my family. My current car with a slightly larger engine 1350cc will easily let me eak out the fuel at 58-60mpg at a faster speed

Last edited by a moderator:
WAMT?
People turning what is effectively a light-hearted thread into a political one ...

WCMUT?
Knowing that I can ban them with 2 clicks of my mouse (y)
:D

A bit like so many Cornish fishermen sold their quaint cottages to incomers and now grouse that their kids can’t find housing locally :).

Saga insurance sent me a quote for car insurance...

£195 for one year (my existing company quoted £142.45)
or £245 fixed for three years.

What? Do I get three years for £245? Of course not it's £245 x 3 = £735... and that's a special offer?

I rang them just to make sure :D

Maybe there are big price hikes in the offing but today it doesn't look like a good deal considering I've paid £142.45 for a year with my current lot.

Just swapped from Admiral multi-car to Churchill 2 car + a new 1 car policy and we're saving close to £200. Much of that saving is on one of the cars apparently.

WAMT?
People turning what is effectively a light-hearted thread into a political one ...

WCMUT?
Knowing that I can ban them with 2 clicks of my mouse (y)
:D
People posting acronyms I don’t know and have to look up and then find that posting WCMUT is clearly off topic, thinking about reporting him ... :exit:

People posting acronyms I don’t know and have to look up
TBH I agree with you, especially someone ( No names, @Nod ) TSTMTUATGA (that seems to make them up as they go along :( )

But there are a few in common use
FFS! seems to be my most used one at the moment :D

WMS is common here as in Where's My Slippers.

A sure sign we're all getting older.

TBH I agree with you, especially someone ( No names, @Nod ) TSTMTUATGA (that seems to make them up as they go along :( )

Do I? Not deliberately. Other than the commonest ones, I don't use them much and when I do make them up, I try to add a translation (if I remember!) Apologies to anyone confuzzled - IWTNTDIA (I will try not to do it again!)

Watched a bit of a couple a game shows this afternoon as I sat in the house for coffee and a heat, the people that start a sentence with the word SO! Really annoys me, is it grammatically correct, I don’t know but seems wrong. Off back out to the garage to finish today’s job now I’ve had even more coffee and a wee heat.

You can get tablets for heated wee... :p

Watched a bit of a couple a game shows this afternoon as I sat in the house for coffee and a heat, the people that start a sentence with the word SO! Really annoys me, is it grammatically correct, I don’t know but seems wrong. Off back out to the garage to finish today’s job now I’ve had even more coffee and a wee heat.
So, tell us why it’s wrong? :exit:

Very much so I've noticed it, and several people have remarked on it.
But they are more polite than me and do it via PM :p

the people that start a sentence with the word SO!
I've remarked on that very thing a few times, generally people that are being interviewed, reply with "So" before uttering another word,
And it's getting more and more prevalent too :(

So, tell us why it’s wrong? :exit:
That's not the annoying use of it; it's where the person answers a question with 'So...', particularly during interviews where a so-called 'expert' is being asked something, Eg. Interviewer: "How long have you been studying this phenomenon?". 'Expert': "So...... I first stated the study about 5 years ago as part of my PHD".

Saying "So...." at the start of virtually every single reply doesn't make someone sound like an academic, it makes them sound like someone who's too weak-willed to avoid adopting a stupid trend! It's almost as annoying as that stupid rising inflection at the end of a sentence that made people sound like everything they said was a question, which was all the rage about 10 years ago. :grumpy:

Last edited:
It's almost as annoying as that stupid rising inflection at the end of a sentence that made people sound like everything they said was a question, which was all the rage about 10 years ago
I didn't know that was common here — common in Australian women still I think.

I'd say more like Karen from FB!
Just getting a mental picture of 'Karen' now... Botoxed lips that make her look like a duck, an orange sunbed tan, and drawn on eyebrows half way up her forehead that make her look like Charlie Cairoli? No, you can't go wrong following a popular trend can you?

Last edited:
WAMT?

Annoyed is an understatement.
Being told I (we) may have be on strict rules/lockdown for 25 days in the new year so people can go and have a 5 day p*** up with family over Christmas.
Can’t people just be happy their family is still there for Christmas?

just watched a woman on the news moaning her and her husband can’t do the usual visit to the parents and want the 5 day COVID holiday.

Back