Washing Your Car!

I can confirm that it's great for removing tar spots.

Is a clay bar used for removing tar spots? Will WD40 remove the same stuff that a clay bar does?

Watched a few videos on youtube and claying the car looks like a long and tedious job. Just wondering, if WD40 does the same thing, it will be quicker?

As I said earlier on, it's easy to get swept up in the clay bar, de-tar etc car detailing OCD-ness. Fine if you have time/inclination/money to indulge, for most of us who just want to take a bit of care, a two bucket wash, polish and wax will be more than adequate.

I'd say it's worth once every 6 months or so having a decent go at it. I always do it when a car's new like this: wash with foam and microfiber mitt. Use a couple of buckets if you can be bothered to avoid putting dirty water back on the car. Claybar the car afterwards and remove anything stuck to the paint giving you a nice, shiny and product-free surface. Then either apply a decent wax product like Collinite or a paint sealant like Meguiars PowerLock to seal the paint. A couple of coats of this on paint and alloys means next time you need to clean it, dirt will almost fall off the car.

What's this thing I keep hearing about WD40? That apparently I can use it for a multitude of things on the car, including cleaning the paintwork and scratch removal?!
I use it to remove tar spots and then wash again after. Also it removes light scratches for a few days. Not sure if it harms the paint but in many years of fiddling on odd Sunday afternoons I've never noticed anything untoward in the paint finish.

I don't really see the point in washing a car, it generally rains more than the sun shines so why waste the time? However I always keep the glass and lights clean, and keep the vehicle mechanically A1.

I don't really see the point in washing a car, it generally rains more than the sun shines so why waste the time? However I always keep the glass and lights clean, and keep the vehicle mechanically A1.

For me it's 2 fold

1) They cost a lot of money in the first place so therefore I want to keep them right. If they are left dirty I believe they are more likely to get scratched as it looks like you don't care about it.

2) I like my car to be clean as I think it reflects on me

For me it's 2 fold

1) They cost a lot of money in the first place so therefore I want to keep them right. If they are left dirty I believe they are more likely to get scratched as it looks like you don't care about it.

2) I like my car to be clean as I think it reflects on me

+1!!!

Plus I also actually enjoy cleaning it too!

I'll spend one day a year giving it the full works, inside & out (probably around 6-7 hours worth of effort) and then after that it's weekly (if I'm lucky) washes and waxing every few months :)

Washing a car , Whats that then :confused:

The original ABS!

I spray it on my brake disks to stop them rusting over.

Definitely not something I would have tried.

When I was a kid, I once put vaseline on my bicycles rims to stop the breaks from squealing. It didn't stop me from squealing when I ploughed into a wall :(

Last edited:
How much would one expect to pay for a mobile valet to do a "proper" was and wax? Just had a look at a relatively local chap's website and the button that I think would tell me doesn't seem to work!

How much would one expect to pay for a mobile valet to do a "proper" was and wax? Just had a look at a relatively local chap's website and the button that I think would tell me doesn't seem to work!

Valeters round here charge from £20 to £50 for different levels of clean and polish.

Ta, Hugh. I'll give the local chap a bell and see what he'll charge for 2 cars at the same address and maybe even get a neighbour or 2 signed up as well.

Definitely not something I would have tried.

When I was a kid, I once put vaseline on my bicycles rims to stop the breaks from squealing. It didn't stop me from squealing when I ploughed into a wall :(

Ouch!
(My youngest brother did the same and still sports a rather fetching "Harry Potter" on his forehead.)

I hate the thought of cleaning the car, but once started I enjoy it...and love the results :)

Lots of good and misleading advice. My 2p
Brush, sponge, fairy liquid bad. I used brush and fairy liquid before I learned proper methods.

This was the start of my collection a few years ago, notice the foam lance all others are just soap dispensers and will not give you the results you need.
Detailing kit by Scott, on Flickr

The collection keeps growing. Good Friday I gave the car a full exterior detail including polish as follows

Wheels sprayed with KKD Brakeaway @20:1(non acid wheel cleaner)
KKD Blizzad snowfoam
Rinsed with jetwash
2 BM using Meguires NXT shampoo
Rinsed with jetwash
Tar removal
Rinsed with jetwash
IRON X fallout remover
Rinsed with jetwash
Clayed using Farecla G3 Mit. snowfoam for lube
Rinsed with jetwash
Dried
Taped up
Polished using Das6 Pro, white hex logic pads and Megs #205
Wiped down with 10% ipa
Sealed with FK100p high temp sealant
Topped with Authentic wax
Windows sealed with Gtechniq G5 rain repelant

Good Friday clean 02 by Scott, on Flickr

Good Friday clean 03 by Scott, on Flickr

Good Friday clean 06 by Scott, on Flickr

Good Friday clean 07 by Scott, on Flickr

Good Friday clean 08 by Scott, on Flickr

This lengthy detail only happens twice a year and is not always clayed and polished. Once the paint is protected a maintenance wash of snowfoam, 2BM and quick detailer to finish takes under an hour with the wax topped up once a month.

^^ That's what I want to do.....but end up skipping the snow foam because it's just a lot of faff getting all that out of the shed, kit it up and stuff. So 2 buckets, then clay bar.

Still got to use my DAS6 pro however....been putting it off because I didn't have any pads until of late.

AwYSWFw.jpg

But the car's paint isn't in that bad condition, needs a light polish and good seal.

pqxb8zn.png

8LD6AT2.jpg

X1IXLeN.jpg

I spent a good 2-3 hours cleaning mine on a Sunday. I usually use Valet Pro PH neutral snow foam (although just run out actually so looking for suggestions on better ones!) and I use the Karcher foam attachment bottle, it doesn't cling as well as proper foam lances but does the job for me.
I then use a synthetic wool mitt (someone started using my noodle mitt to dust the house...) with 2 buckets - one just water, the other mixed with Autoglym shampoo.
Before I would use Autoglym aqua wax and highly recommend it, it's perhaps not as long lasting but so much easier. Just using bog standard Turtle Wax at the minute and it seems to get everywhere, all over the trim despite it going nowhere near it - noticed someone on my windscreen after the last time!
I also use Autoglym alloy wheel cleaner but tbh I've used Tesco own brand and Simoniz before and they all do the job so long as you brush properly.

Then it usually rains a few hours later or I have to do the commute the day after in the rain, by the time I've got to work the back and sides are covered in crap and it needs doing again. Every single time.

My full valet takes approx 5 hours on a standard size car (anything smaller than a large estate, eg Mondeo estate). Here's what I do;

Interior
• Brush & vacuum – seats, foot wells, mats, boot, parcel shelf, door sides, under rear seat if accessible
• Deep clean & dress all interior plastics, dash, vents, compartments & rubber mats
• Dry clean top surfaces of seats and headlining
• Interior glass cleaned & polished
• Puff of quality air freshener
Exterior
• Deep clean wheels including rim behind spokes on alloys
• Deep clean wheel arches
• Pre-wash bodywork using Traffic Film Remover & pressure rinsed
• Tar spots removed
• Deep clean & dress door & boot shuts & fuel cap compartment
• Wash bodywork using wash & wax shampoo, two bucket method & lambs wool mitt, rinsed & dried
• Tyre walls dressed
• Rubber & plastic trim dressed including plastic wheel arches
• Paint waxed
• Exterior glass cleaned & polished

Good stuff, can you expand on a few of the stages Mike? I'll ask below if I may.

My full valet takes approx 5 hours on a standard size car (anything smaller than a large estate, eg Mondeo estate). Here's what I do;

Interior

• Interior glass cleaned & polished
How do you do this without being a contortionist?

Exterior
• Deep clean wheels including rim behind spokes on alloys
do you take them off to do this?
• Deep clean wheel arches
How?

• Pre-wash bodywork using Traffic Film Remover & pressure rinsed
Can I get TFR form the high street? Halfords? How would I use it? (I dont have a pressure washer)

• Deep clean & dress door & boot shuts & fuel cap compartment
What exactly is "deep clean"? what do you use tools/gunk wise?

• Rubber & plastic trim dressed including plastic wheel arches
What do you use for this?

Many thanks.

Good stuff, can you expand on a few of the stages Mike? I'll ask below if I may.

How do you do this without being a contortionist?
I have to have a massage every 3 weeks because i get so tight across the shoulders and a bad back from squeezing in cars

do you take them off to do this?
No, just use brushes and wheel cleaner, then rinse with pressure washer, one wheel at a time.

How?
Tfr and pressure washer

Can I get TFR form the high street? Halfords? How would I use it? (I dont have a pressure washer)
Probably, I get mine from a trade supplier. Through the pressure washer

What exactly is "deep clean"? what do you use tools/gunk wise?
Tfr though a sprayer, tar remover on the grease, rinse with pressure washer carefully

What do you use for this?
Rubber and plastic trim dressing ;)

There is a lot more to the techniques of valeting which would take too long to list on here

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Reading this makes me feel a bit guilty I don't clean my car as often as I should:D
Any tips for cleaning the inerior trim on a 2010 yaris it's a sort of hard matt black plastic that's a bugger to clean anything I use leaves a residue

Reading this makes me feel a bit guilty I don't clean my car as often as I should:D
Any tips for cleaning the inerior trim on a 2010 yaris it's a sort of hard matt black plastic that's a bugger to clean anything I use leaves a residue
This from Adams sound right, have a good read of the description.

Thanks that looks really good and it leaves a matt finish so should be perfect
:thinking: Erm, werent there three listed? :D

Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber care maybe also fits the bill and theres loads of 'back to black' type unguents and ointments in halfords.

another one, although seems more for exterior

Last edited:
:thinking: Erm, werent there three listed? :D

Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber care maybe also fits the bill and theres loads of 'back to black' type unguents and ointments in halfords.

another one, although seems more for exterior
Yep you're right there was 3:D
but the first one looks the best for the black plasric trim on my yaris as it leaves a matt finish :)

I just use PERL for all plastics, including bumpers, dash, tyres, door sills, wiper blades. It comes concentrated so you just dilute it. Saves the faff of having so many different products.

I've been away and only just cottoned on to this thread. Like others, I have spent time and money on detailing ever since I bought my first car eleven years ago. It's only since I got married last year that it's taken a huge back seat (as well as my pressure washer breaking down). I think I've washed my car three times in the past twelve months, compared to 50 or so times in the preceding year.

There's cleaning your car and there's detailing. A bit like how there's taking snapshots and photography. Same sort of OCD-ness in aiming for perfection, same sort of gear acquisition syndrome, can involve similar levels of scrutiny of products. So it really depends on how far you want to take things.

Snow Foam - Yes or no? I have heard good things, but is it too good to be true. Someone said just get a TFR as it does the same thing for cheaper. Is this correct. Would you only use one or the other, or would you use both? Would using both be overkill?
I've always used snowfoam as my prewash and have always used the analogy of soaking the dishes in the sink overnight - it makes it easier to clean to muck off. I've found TFR can strip wax so I use it for this purpose every time I give my car a thorough clean which involves machine polishing.

Mitt, sponge, or Karcher brush attachment? - I know the brush is designed to be used to clean a car, but what has your experience been? Has the bristles scratched the paintwork before or left swirl marks?
As others have pointed out, these attachments can cause damage to the paintwork. You may have noticed a spider-web type reflection on car paint. These are swirls induced by poor wash technique. Detailing is all about eliminating/reducing these marks and maintaining the end result. Use a wash mitt. I've found lambswool better than synthetic but the former needs care - if the lamsbwool doesn't dry out fully, it can start to moult.

Waxing - How often do I need to wax the car? Would waxing it after each wash be overkill and even detrimental to the paint? What to choose? I was in Halfords and was left confused by the selection available. Some were in multiple stages, natural waxes, polymer wax? Also, would a detailer spray/liquid wax/demon shine be just as good as a regular wax? Would you apply by hand or use a rotary polishing mop etc to do the job?
A wax can last a few months. So once the car is cleaned, waxing will make it easier to keep clean the next time. There are multiple ones so try one out and see what you think. For most people, I've always suggested collinite 476s. It's more of a hybrid wax/sealant but lasts around six months. I've found "proper" waxes need topping up every month or so. Ideally the base needs to be clean before applying.

Be very very careful with the pressure washer, ours took the paint of the sills on Mrs Gubbys Fiesta :(
Wouldn't do unless you had poor technique with the pressure washer.

If it's a nice looking car get a clay mitt and clay your car after washing, rinse it off and apply protection after. You will be amazed at the difference claying your car makes. It takes off ingrained dirt that makes your paint dull and rough.
Completely agree with claying. Again, you can get differing grades of clay bars. The harsher ones are more effective but also more likely to inflict damage on the paintwork. I also prefer to do this after detarring the car with tar remover, otherwise you can move tar spots around and inflict more damage.

One handy tip is to use the open end of a hosepipe (with a slow flow) to rinse from the roof down, this will have a better effect after waxing as the water will 'sheet' off.
I always recommend this. Once the car is waxed, cleaning it next time is so much easier. There's very little water left on the paintwork after sheeting it off (after rinsing off the shampoo) and I can usually get away with using a small microfibre to dry the car rather than the big towel.

Which snow foam do you guys use/recommend?
My own preference is Bilt Hamber snowfoam. Used with a proper HD lance, it does quite well in terms of removing dirt.

All this talk of clay bars, but no mention of this being a no no, if you have metallic sparkly finish paint on your car.:eek: Read the instructions first.(y)
My current car has been clayed at least three times a year for around eight years. It has metallic paint. What should I have been looking out for???

Sponges are safer as if any debris/grit gets under it, it will either sink into the sponge not the paintwork as its softer or it will drop into the cavity of the sponge.
I'd have thought this was down to the structure of the sponge. I've used Zymol sponges in the past which are supposed to be "open cell" and hence envelops the grit, rather than regular sponges which are "closed cell" and trap and rub grit against the paintwork.

I have this bottle attachment that I got with my Karcher. It does say that it is a foam gun attachment, holds about 500ml approx.
My Karcher came with one of those. It's rubbish. Getter a proper foam lance and you'll see the difference.

Valeters round here charge from £20 to £50 for different levels of clean and polish.
And there's me paying £300-400 for a proper detail.

For OP, my own routine would be:
Months 1 and 6: TFR, 2BM wash, tar remover, clay bar, machine polish, prewax cleanser, wax. Wheels come off and are cleaned thoroughly with non-acidic wheel cleaner. Wheel arches are cleaned. Interior gets cleaned. Glass cleaned, rubber and plastic trim cleaned and dressed.

Months 3 and 9: TFR, 2BM, tar, clay, prewax cleanser, wax. Interior, glass, rubber and plastic cleaned and treated.

Otherwise every week, I will use snowfoam, 2BM wash, dry and then one extra thing eg clean glass, clean wheels, dress rubber etc. Makes it easier to manage and maintain.

Back