Washing Your Car!

I've been away and only just cottoned on to this thread. Like others, I have spent time and money on detailing ever since I bought my first car eleven years ago. It's only since I got married last year that it's taken a huge back seat (as well as my pressure washer breaking down). I think I've washed my car three times in the past twelve months, compared to 50 or so times in the preceding year.

There's cleaning your car and there's detailing. A bit like how there's taking snapshots and photography. Same sort of OCD-ness in aiming for perfection, same sort of gear acquisition syndrome, can involve similar levels of scrutiny of products. So it really depends on how far you want to take things.

I've always used snowfoam as my prewash and have always used the analogy of soaking the dishes in the sink overnight - it makes it easier to clean to muck off. I've found TFR can strip wax so I use it for this purpose every time I give my car a thorough clean which involves machine polishing.

As others have pointed out, these attachments can cause damage to the paintwork. You may have noticed a spider-web type reflection on car paint. These are swirls induced by poor wash technique. Detailing is all about eliminating/reducing these marks and maintaining the end result. Use a wash mitt. I've found lambswool better than synthetic but the former needs care - if the lamsbwool doesn't dry out fully, it can start to moult.

A wax can last a few months. So once the car is cleaned, waxing will make it easier to keep clean the next time. There are multiple ones so try one out and see what you think. For most people, I've always suggested collinite 476s. It's more of a hybrid wax/sealant but lasts around six months. I've found "proper" waxes need topping up every month or so. Ideally the base needs to be clean before applying.

Wouldn't do unless you had poor technique with the pressure washer.

Completely agree with claying. Again, you can get differing grades of clay bars. The harsher ones are more effective but also more likely to inflict damage on the paintwork. I also prefer to do this after detarring the car with tar remover, otherwise you can move tar spots around and inflict more damage.

I always recommend this. Once the car is waxed, cleaning it next time is so much easier. There's very little water left on the paintwork after sheeting it off (after rinsing off the shampoo) and I can usually get away with using a small microfibre to dry the car rather than the big towel.

My own preference is Bilt Hamber snowfoam. Used with a proper HD lance, it does quite well in terms of removing dirt.

My current car has been clayed at least three times a year for around eight years. It has metallic paint. What should I have been looking out for???

I'd have thought this was down to the structure of the sponge. I've used Zymol sponges in the past which are supposed to be "open cell" and hence envelops the grit, rather than regular sponges which are "closed cell" and trap and rub grit against the paintwork.

My Karcher came with one of those. It's rubbish. Getter a proper foam lance and you'll see the difference.

And there's me paying £300-400 for a proper detail.

For OP, my own routine would be:
Months 1 and 6: TFR, 2BM wash, tar remover, clay bar, machine polish, prewax cleanser, wax. Wheels come off and are cleaned thoroughly with non-acidic wheel cleaner. Wheel arches are cleaned. Interior gets cleaned. Glass cleaned, rubber and plastic trim cleaned and dressed.

Months 3 and 9: TFR, 2BM, tar, clay, prewax cleanser, wax. Interior, glass, rubber and plastic cleaned and treated.

Otherwise every week, I will use snowfoam, 2BM wash, dry and then one extra thing eg clean glass, clean wheels, dress rubber etc. Makes it easier to manage and maintain.

Wow, I am impressed !

I love detailing my car, but without an external tap it makes things a little tricky and I need to move into my new place so I can use my garage and can machine polish inside in peace without people walking pass starring ! lol

Mine gets washed "every" week by a local lad and always uses the proper method ( 2 Bucket ) and neutral PH shampoo's. I do wax it myself with billet hammer and this is a super wax which lasts.
One thing I NEVER do is take it to the European car washes as they tend to use TFR ( Traffic Film Remover ) which strips the wax off the car and more so Acid Wheel cleaner ( I don't have to tell you what this does ).

It was recently professionally clay bared and sealed which makes it much easier to manage.
It is a bit special the car as it was BMW's press car and was the first F10 to have the full M-Sports kit. It also has a HUGE list of extras not usually found on this car and with only 26k miles with a FBMWSH its not even run in yet from its 3 litre diesel twin turbo engine.

My car's not posh, but it's new to me (3 weeks).
I'm itching to clean her again but it's raining every hour.....

.....frustrating!

.....frustrating!
I cleaned mine in the rain last Friday. Only a quick wash and used a liquid wax to finish, but took me less than half an hour.
When the good weather is here for a while it will get it's thorough 5hr wash, polish and wax.

.....frustrating!

Today, I managed to wash, wax, clean wheels, apply sealant, clean leather seats then treat with conditional and went over the car exterior gaps with a brush to remove excess wax (which had dried and turned white).

Took 2 and a half hours. It was meant to be a quick wash and wax (1 hour)

The sky had a couple drops of rain for like 5 seconds while I was waxing but than lucky it didn't rain more than that.

Last edited:
The sky had a couple drops of rain for like 5 seconds while I was waxing but than lucky it didn't rain more than that.

We've had drizzle for most of the day, even snow this morning...sounds like you've had a nicer day then us :)

Bilt Hammer :) maybe just the hammer when things start to go wrong ! :)

It is easy to put on but a right barstool to get off and I would advise to do a panel at a time. But the results are superb and beads water like no tomorrow.

It is easy to put on but a right barstool to get off and I would advise to do a panel at a time. But the results are superb and beads water like no tomorrow.

The longest lasting wax that I've tried, and I've tried quite a few is Collinite 476s but like most hard waxes, it takes a while to apply and even longer to buff off. Fortunately they have made a liquid, or a semi liquid version call the Insulator wax. To get it out of the bottle, I put it in a bowl of warm water to loosen it. Just used that on my car today. It's due to rain tomorrow so a good test to see.

http://www.collinite.com/automotive-wax/insulator-wax/

Ye the Collinite stuff is Very good Wax and most the detailers I know use this http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detai...brilliant-shine-detailer-750ml/prod_1178.html is also very good if not slightly better than both looking and reading all the reviews.

I still also use Simonz wax in liquid/cream form and Autoglym ....anything for an easier life:)

I have to ask, that's a detailer, people say they use a detailer as a quick wax. is that right? I always thought detailer is a lubricant of sorts that you use when clay baring. So I take it its actually similar stuff o Aquaqwax then? since that's what iv'e been using between hard waxes.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Oh, it's an action cam that you use as a dash cam. Does it still loop and write over old files and auto start when the car starts?

Yes Yes and Yes It has a Car mode in the menu ray , being honest IMHO it is much better than a standard car dashcam as you can set it to stay recording 1 hour after the ignition has been turned off ( useful if going shopping car parks etc.) the internal battery is good for around 2 hours.
Most Dashcams are pretty good Daytime but few are good at night most very poor.

Here is a Night Video with a dirty windscreen.
View: https://youtu.be/xyV-TPUv8RU

That is actually REALLY impressive.

This is mine at night, I like the ISO at the top, it's rather impressive...until it hits about 10,000 !

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IN_BwdOHf8

The only thing I think I dislike of yours is the really "long" mount which will hand quite far down the rear windscreen chichi am trying to avoid.

Last edited:
I purchased a small 3M mount which keeps it quite high up Ray as shown Below

Do you know what I can't remember where I got it now purchased that many gadgets but I am sure www.gitup.com sell them if you send Bill a quick E mail I'm sure he can sort you one out.

That looks very similar, delivery I always use fast shipping as I'm inpatient and usually takes around 7-10 days from when you order. the usb lead is a few quid and is a MINI not a micro. I also purchased a Mini Nano 0903 which is smaller and a dedicated dashcam I was going to use in the front windscreen but I am more than happy now with the set up so that will be going for sale as soon as I can be bothered to advertise it., It also has the same chipset and sensor but GPS but its suppose to still have teething problems and ok if you like to tinker and mess with the firmware as I do.

If you look on Dashcam forum there is lots of information and reviews over there Ray and being honest there is that many you are spoilt for choice and the only thing is of you buy from china its a pays ya money takes ya chance scenario.

I suppose we better get back on topic car washing :) Haha.

I was in Halfords yesterday and remembered I ran out of ValetPro PH neutral snow foam so I was having a look to see what they had; nothing much! It was a choice between Demon Foam or Karcher's own brand stuff, I thought I'd go for Demon Foam.
No one make the same mistake, its garbage as a snow foam - you may as well just use a normal shampoo. It says you only need a small amount, I used quite a lot and it was rubbish. I was always unsure on the ValetPro but now I realise its day and night compared to this junk. £7 down the pan! I wish I checked out the reviews first, it has 1.7 from 7 reviews on the Halfrauds website! This is the stuff im on about btw: http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/shampoo-polish-wax/demon-wash-snow-foam-shampoo-1l

Thanks a lot, in my little search I've found out that there is now a mk2 version, which comes with the bracket and 3M mount as standard, and also found a 8% off code online too so I think I'll go for that !

Thanks a lot, in my little search I've found out that there is now a mk2 version, which comes with the bracket and 3M mount as standard, and also found a 8% off code online too so I think I'll go for that !

But no good as a dashcam not the same sensor :(

Git2 Sony Exmor IMX206 16MP
Git1 Sony Exmor IMX322

The Git1 uses a lower MP sensor so better in low light.

If you sole intention is for action Cam then I would say Git2 as it suppose to give better footage during the daytime but for mainly Dashcam use 100% Git1 Ray

Any USB >Mini will work depends on where and how you install

Comparison Git1 Vs Git2 Night footage

View: https://youtu.be/bjxDHJsOKNA

What a difference ! and have ordered the first edition.

Came to £60 with expedite shipping and insurance, it's £65 on Amazon.co.uk so pretty cheap! Just need a USB cable but will figure out exactly how long I need when it arrives. Thanks for all your help.

Where did you order it from Ray and if you do intend to use it as a Dashcam I would recommend the filter.

Glad I can help isn't that what this forum is for?

Back